Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Report: Minshew had pre-draft interest from CHI Bears

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2020, 09:47 AM by mal234.)

Gardner is doing a lot of interviews during this Super Bowl week. Some interesting information is coming out. He did another one this morning where he revealed that the other team he talked to before being drafted was the Chicago Bears. This was mentioned on Twitter, and the video interview where he says that will be out later today. He reportedly had a "great meeting" with Matt Nagy. 

https://twitter.com/thecarm/status/1222507491453472768

It sounds like he felt it was a real possibility he could have been drafted there.  Did anyone else hear this before today? I had heard he had met with a couple of teams, but I didn't know the Bears was the other one. 

What's interesting is that there was a lot of people (especially around the time that Minshew was benched) saying they would have liked seeing him traded to the bears. Quite a few of the Bears fans was saying that especially when Mitch was really struggling during the season. And all they needed was average QB play to be competitive. I find that interesting. I am glad Gardner's with Jacksonville, but I could have seen him as a Bear and possibly being successful in that offense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He said he thought he might go to 4 or 5 teams. I wonder who the other 3 were?

(01-31-2020, 12:23 AM)newporttom Wrote: He said he thought he might go to 4 or 5 teams.  I wonder who the other 3 were?

Back up for Wilson in Seattle?
New Orleans? (with the free agency of Bridgewater, possible retirement of Brees)
Phins?
I'd guess Bucs, but he isn't really an Arians type QB imo.

The Bears can kick rocks. This is our QB now. Good luck with Trubusty.

Makes sense. Trubisky is terrible. Ryan Pace made a huge error gambling on that kid. Especially when you consider Mahomes and Watson playing at an MVP level.

Thankful for Minshew. Hopefully he continues to trend in the right direction in 2020. Jay Gruden SHOULD help him elevate his play. Jay Gruden COULD end up being the head coach by the end of 2020 and beyond as well.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Mishew really sucked the 2nd half of the season. He had some decent 2nd half stats but during some games we were already down by 24 so who really gives a [BLEEP].

I like his moxy but I think fans lose sight of the fact that he sucked against the Texans, the Bucs kicked our as as they got out to a 24-0 lead, we beat the Raiders after doing nothing offensively for 3 quarters, and we got as [BLEEP] kicked against the Falcons.

Remind me once again what's so great about his play on the field? Once teams studied film, they forced him to go left and made him play to his weaknesses.

Wishing the best, but in reality, I'm not sure he's the future.

(02-01-2020, 12:22 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Mishew really sucked the 2nd half of the season.  He had some decent 2nd half stats but during some games we were already down by 24 so who really gives a [BLEEP].

I like his moxy but I think fans lose sight of the fact that he sucked against the Texans, the Bucs kicked our as as they got out to a 24-0 lead, we beat the Raiders after doing nothing offensively for 3 quarters, and we got as [BLEEP] kicked against the Falcons.

Remind me once again what's so great about his play on the field?  Once teams studied film, they forced him to go left and made him play to his weaknesses.

It's the fact that he was the only QB to win 6 games for this team last year despite playing behind a weak offensive line and poorly developed and schemed defense that gave up a historical stretch of points and yardages that hadn't been seen since the 1980's. 

I think he'll be better in year two under Gruden's guidance and with another draft to hopefully bolster the line some more or at least some of the skill positions. He at least took care of the football for us. He can buy time with his feet. He does have that ability to escape with his legs. He showed some ability as well with his timing routes and reads. 

A lot of his issues as a rookie can be improved in year two. Most guys settle down with the NFL speed in year two. It's up to coaching and development to get him ready for what's to come. While I'll agree that it's too early to say he's the clear cut future. It's also entirely too early to say "[BLEEP] it. Let's draft a QB with the 9th or 20th overall pick for the sake of it". 

I don't feel comfortable with any of these first round prospects at QB outside of Joe Burrow. And even with him. I worry with just one big year of output on a loaded team offensively that when he ends up with the Bengals he could end up having an extremely underwhelming rookie campaign. Especially if it's true about Zac Taylor's lackluster approach to coaching.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-01-2020, 12:22 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Mishew really sucked the 2nd half of the season.  He had some decent 2nd half stats but during some games we were already down by 24 so who really gives a [BLEEP].

Remind me once again what's so great about his play on the field?  Once teams studied film, they forced him to go left and made him play to his weaknesses.

Was it him actually sucking or the lack of talent around him? The o-line didn't do him any favors. The defense looked absolutely horrible. The team and playbook was originally built around Nick Foles. A QB nothing like how Minshew plays. He was arguably better than Kyler Murray, the Offensive Rookie of the year. Sure teams started catching on to him, but its not like he had a whole lot of time to learn new plays and gather chemistry with the players. Hes a late round rookie that basically had to learn everything on the fly. Now hes got some time under his belt, there is plenty of time to keep building off the chemistry him and some of the players have built and specifically he will have a playbook geared for him... hopefully.
In Dougie I Trust!

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 10:50 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

Minshew had a good year regardless of the flaws.  I am hesitant to say he is the future and wanted a QB this year before he even touched the field.  As in most Jaguars history though, we see a flash of light and everything is put on hold to see if it leads to some greater success.  We need a QB1.  We hope its minshew, or at least it better be since we are once again passing up a early pick at the position for hope that a late rd QB can be the next brady or get us to the promised land.  I keep my lifetime supply of popcorn on standby with this team and fanbase.

EDIT: It could be the fear of him turning into a Mark Sanchez or something. I'm only 35 but i've witnessed too many QBs go from a good to hell of a year/years, to being just meh and career backups. I don't want to have to go through that because of a mustache and some old heads trying to relive their prime through Minshew.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

How many rookies study the other players concepts to better understand where they should line up and how they should be blocking/playing? How many rookies took the play in the huddle and took 0 delay of game penalties in their rookie season? He is better than average in the work ethic area. Honestly I'm not too worked up on how other teams out schemed him but it does bother me that teams get away with a handful of plays to pencil whip our coaches.

The fumbles bothered me.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 05:06 PM by americus 2.0.)

He was a sixth round draft pick rookie. He doesn't crap rainbows and fairy dust out of his butt. His status and the fact that he was literally thrown to the wolves in the first quarter of the first regular season game and played as well as he did....it couldn't have been better for us. Could you imagine veteran CHenne as our back-up and is being even remotely competitive? A solid NO.

I remember Vic Ketchman saying that if the aituation ever presented itself for the Jags to draft a franchise qb at the end of the top 10, even if they already had one, that he would tackle Gene Smith to the ground and yell ROETHLISBERGER!!, ROETHLISBERGER!!

Thats how i feel if Herbert ir Tua are somehow available we have to pull the trigger, you can always trade a good qb on a rookie contract and last year showed why its important to have depth at the position.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(02-05-2020, 12:09 AM)Firesky Wrote: I remember Vic Ketchman saying that if the aituation ever presented itself for the Jags to draft a franchise qb at the end of the top 10, even if they already had one, that he would tackle Gene Smith to the ground and yell ROETHLISBERGER!!, ROETHLISBERGER!!

Thats how i feel if Herbert ir Tua are somehow available we have to pull the trigger, you can always trade a good qb on a rookie contract and last year showed why its important to have depth at the position.

Herbert's gonna suck and Tua is gonna die in the NFL.

(02-05-2020, 01:02 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 12:09 AM)Firesky Wrote: I remember Vic Ketchman saying that if the aituation ever presented itself for the Jags to draft a franchise qb at the end of the top 10, even if they already had one, that he would tackle Gene Smith to the ground and yell ROETHLISBERGER!!, ROETHLISBERGER!!

Herbert's gonna suck and Tua is gonna die in the NFL.

Agreed

(02-05-2020, 01:02 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Herbert's gonna suck, Tua is gonna die in the NFL, and Burrow is going to be average in Cincy.
FTFY
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.