Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 WRs

Thought I'd make a thread for us to discuss this obscenely good 2020 WR class.

Here's one of the takeaways from the senior bowl, according to thedraftnetwork.com:

TO EVERY TEAM: DRAFT A WIDE RECEIVER THIS YEAR

I don't care if your team has a primary wide receiver need, a secondary wide receiver need or doesn't have a wide receiver need at all, every team in the NFL should draft a receiver from this draft class. This class is that good. I might not be ready to say it's "better" than the 2014 class, but I am comfortable saying it is the deepest class I have ever scouted.

From Rounds 1-7, you can find a receiver in this class. The Senior Bowl proved just how deep this class is.

I'd say the Jags' current WR options are pretty decent, which is more than we can say about multiple other position groups. However, Conley could definitely be upgraded as the outside WR opposite Chark, and adding another legit weapon that defenses would have to scheme for could really open up the offense and take us to a next level. I would be very disappointed if we don't end up adding a WR in this draft at some point. The question is, when?

I'm kinda conflicted about it. Part of me thinks that if Jeudy is there at 9 the Jags should run to the podium. I really think he's gonna be a special player and start putting an NFL highlight reel together as soon as he hits the league. I think there's a decent chance that multiple teams may end up feeling a bit stupid about passing Jeudy up in this draft...

However... the depth of this WR class makes me hesitate to take one at 9, especially considering how many other positions could do with help and how hard it is to find big guys the later you go in the draft. There is a reasonable argument that we could wait until round 3 or 4 and still end up with a great prospect.

What do you think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For reference: the PFF big board has 11 WRs in the top 44 players in this draft!

Denzel Mims is the guy I'd like to see for the Jags.

Personally, I think there will be a steal available in the 3rd or 4th round, and that’s how I’m hoping WR plays out for the Jags this offseason.

My hope is that the Jaguars take a wide receiver in round 3. At least one of these guys should be available and would be a steal at this point:

Justin Jefferson
Tyler Johnson
Michael Pittman
K.J. Hamler
Denzel Mims

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2020, 08:35 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I would love Tyler Johnson, he reminds me a lot of Adam Thielen. I know it's weird to hear because ones white and one is black and people dont like to compare like that but they are the same size, same build, and they wont kill you with speed but they both also run great routes and have sticky hands. I think Johnson will pick up a lot of first downs and score a bunch of TDs in this league. Harrison Bryant and Tyler Johnson are my top 2 guys for our 3rd round pick right now I'm just not sure if either will be available.

The depth of the class may hurt some of the top prospects (nobody is going to be moving for a WR, if GMs think they can get someone similar a round later, or even a few picks later). I'm curious to see where we prioritize the position. I'm a "get the big guys early" type of person, but I agree that Jeudy has a lot of intrigue. If the team either does not like the OL candidates, or both Brown and Kinlaw are gone by 9, I'd be ok with moving off 9 for a midround (say, 12-15) pick if a team wants to jump for a QB like Herbert or one of the OT we don't value, and grabbing him there with some extra picks this year or next.

If we miss out on him, though, man, there's so many to pick from, it's going to be easier to name the guys you don't want.

I agree with the premise. We should definitely take a WR.
But I think it should be no earlier than round 3

CB, NT, LB, OG/T are bigger needs imo.

If the class is that deep we should be able to get a solid contributor later that perhaps pushes Conley out of his starting role (or at least develops into our #2 by year 2)
Tyler Johnson, Denzel Mims, Chase Claypool, Quintez Cephus and Van Jefferson are the guys I'm liking as 3rd-5th round prospects.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-...-receivers

PFF's top 10 WRs

I would love to get a top WR. I don't care who it is, we need a guy who gets the job done.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM by Andy G.)

I think a lot of teams will be looking for the next Deebo Samuel, but we could really use a receiver who has sticky hands and can regularly catch the short passes which Minshew can thrive on. We have our deep threat WRs in Chark and Westbrook.

Edit. I’ve been looking around for the “reliable catcher” types and maybe someone like Ohio State’s KJ Hill might be worth a look.

Michael Pittman anyone? Not the quickest, but we have some of those. His record on contested catches is pretty good though and he's a big guy.

Tee Higgins might also be useful in that sort of "go and grab the ball" role.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl...eiver-2020

Good read, even if I disagree about the way they are ordered. Jeudy is gonna be super mega elite in my opinion.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020, 02:22 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

As good as this class is, i dont like any of them as much as I did Metcalf last year. Brown is right there will them as well imo and they went in the 2nd

I think we could use a WR, though the needs on defense and the OL supercede that.

Nevertheless, if we go WR, part of me wishes we take a speed guy-a true field stretcher.

We've tried that a few times over the years with Soward and Marquise Lee. Neither has worked out as we'd hoped.

But if the team were interested in adding speed to the WR corps, I would be willing to take KJ Hamler in the 2nd round, even if we have to trade up into the mid to late 2nd to get him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8rTnKLZpoM

Look at the burst...the separation!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-07-2020, 10:17 AM)JagJohn Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl...eiver-2020

Good read, even if I disagree about the way they are ordered. Jeudy is gonna be super mega elite in my opinion.

This bit about Jeudy is a bit concerning though: "But Jeudy's tape of downfield prowess is worryingly bare, and his success in contested catches isn't strong on the level of Lamb or Shenault. Jeudy wins with separation, and separation doesn't translate as easily to the NFL as we like to believe. Jeudy is a bonafide Year 1 starter, but I don't think he has the same ceiling as the players ranked above him."

(02-11-2020, 02:35 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 10:17 AM)JagJohn Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl...eiver-2020

This bit about Jeudy is a bit concerning though: "But Jeudy's tape of downfield prowess is worryingly bare, and his success in contested catches isn't strong on the level of Lamb or Shenault. Jeudy wins with separation, and separation doesn't translate as easily to the NFL as we like to believe. Jeudy is a bonafide Year 1 starter, but I don't think he has the same ceiling as the players ranked above him."

Separation may not translate as easily to the NFL, I don't know if that's true or not it sounds like a challengable hypothesis at best, but separation is infinitely more important in the NFL. I would 1000% rather have a college player who excelled at creating separation like Jeudy than one who won with contested catches like an Nkeal Harry.

(02-11-2020, 02:35 PM)Andy G Wrote:

....so the team with Henry Ruggs wasn't using Jeudy as a downfield receiver?

oh, the humanity.

For the record, Reagor> Ruggs

If we're going to draft a WR in the first round (and I don't think we will) I think it has to be Tee Higgins with our second pick, just because of his size and catching ability. We have Chark and Westbrook as our downfield threats.

But at the moment (and I accept we are a LONG) way off the draft still, I think Jeudy, Lamb, Shenault, Ruggs, Higgins (and possibly Reagor too) all go in the first round, so we are probably looking at the next tier, if we're going to draft a WR at all.