Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rush Limbaugh announces he has 'advanced lung cancer'

I hate this to happen to anyone...…..

Rush Limbaugh announces he has 'advanced lung cancer'

Talk radio king Rush Limbaugh stunned his 20-million member audience Monday with the announcement he’s been diagnosed with “advanced lung cancer.”

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rush-limba...ung-cancer
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've listened to Rush quite a bit over the years. Like any political talking head, sometimes you have to separate the wheat from the chaff. While he's more than capable of spouting ideology by rote, he also provides some very insightful political analysis. I hope the best for him.

He had a huge impact on the way we discussed politics when he first got started, and I'm sure many people will personally miss him and miss listening to his show. Some of those people might switch over to hannity, or Fox News, or they might just listen to nothing. A lot of them were already listening to other stuff anyway.
For people like me who listen to no one's show, and watch nothing, I'll still have to deal with people on internet forums who did not read original news, and instead got convinced by some guy with more bombast than knowledge. With more ability to excite the nerves than to really explain what is good and what is bad in a philosophical sense.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-03-2020, 06:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: He had a huge impact on the way we discussed politics when he first got started, and I'm sure many people will personally miss him and miss listening to his show. Some of those people might switch over to hannity, or Fox News, or they might just listen to nothing. A lot of them were already listening to other stuff anyway.
For people like me who listen to no one's show, and watch nothing, I'll still have to deal with people on internet forums who did not read original news, and instead got convinced by some guy with more bombast than knowledge. With more ability to excite the nerves than to really explain what is good and what is bad in a philosophical sense.

Is there a reason you are speaking about him in the past tense?

Damn this sucks I’ve been listening to rush since I was a child when my dad would run into town with him on the radio. Literally 30+ years, I don’t always agree with him but he is extremely insightful and often gets quoted out of context. Prayers but advanced lung cancer doesn’t sound good
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020, 09:16 PM by mikesez.)

(02-03-2020, 08:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 06:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: He had a huge impact on the way we discussed politics when he first got started, and I'm sure many people will personally miss him and miss listening to his show. Some of those people might switch over to hannity, or Fox News, or they might just listen to nothing. A lot of them were already listening to other stuff anyway.

Is there a reason you are speaking about him in the past tense?

I spoke of his legacy in the past tense.  
I spoke of the end of his show in the future tense.  
No one knows how much longer he will keep up with his show.  Unless he uses this remaining time to massively change which things he talks about, and how he talks about them, or gives all his money to NPR or something, his legacy is settled at this point.

(02-03-2020, 09:14 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 08:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Is there a reason you are speaking about him in the past tense?

No one knows how much longer he will keep up with his show.  Unless he uses this remaining time to massively change which things he talks about, and how he talks about them, or gives all his money to NPR or something, his legacy is settled at this point.

So the legacy of the people who disagree with him is the only one that matters or has legitimate weight?

(02-03-2020, 09:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 09:14 PM)mikesez Wrote: I spoke of his legacy in the past tense.  

So the legacy of the people who disagree with him is the only one that matters or has legitimate weight?

He means different things to different people, obviously. What does he mean to you?

(02-03-2020, 09:52 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 09:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: So the legacy of the people who disagree with him is the only one that matters or has legitimate weight?

He means different things to different people, obviously. What does he mean to you?

You're sidestepping, which is understandable given your reckless statement.

(02-03-2020, 09:14 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 08:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Is there a reason you are speaking about him in the past tense?

Aren't you a conservative?

(02-03-2020, 10:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 09:14 PM)mikesez Wrote: I spoke of his legacy in the past tense.  

Aren't you a conservative?

Mikesez is pretty open with his left leaning politics. I’m not sure what he calls himself but I’m pretty sure he’s not conservative.

(02-03-2020, 10:44 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 10:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Aren't you a conservative?

Mikesez is pretty open with his left leaning politics. I’m not sure what he calls himself but I’m pretty sure he’s not conservative.

Could have sworn he was when he arrived on the scene.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020, 11:04 PM by mikesez.)

(02-03-2020, 10:49 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 10:44 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Mikesez is pretty open with his left leaning politics. I’m not sure what he calls himself but I’m pretty sure he’s not conservative.

Could have sworn he was when he arrived on the scene.

Y'all changed.  Not me.  I'll admit my view on healthcare and climate change is closer to the Democrats than the Republicans, but overall I'm still a Republican.  I agree with them on many other issues, like giving state and local government more space, teaching kids there are two genders, reducing regulations, not killing babies, letting businesses fail when they make mistakes, etc.
It feels good to admit Republicans and Democrats each have some stuff wrong.  It makes it easier to spot when they get other stuff wrong, like what constitutes abuse of power and stuff.

The guy was a major cigar smoker. He knew there was a price tag.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020, 11:35 PM by mikesez.)

(02-03-2020, 10:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 09:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: He means different things to different people, obviously. What does he mean to you?

You're sidestepping, which is understandable given your reckless statement.

Every time I visited my grandfather, we had to listen to all three hours of Rush.  He enjoyed it, still does.  Even when Rush would get worked up, my grandfather would just be taking it in, calmly.  But my grandmother would get worked up right along with Rush.  I'd ask my grandfather afterwards if he agreed with everything, and he would say most of it, that he had sort of tuned out the parts he found himself not agreeing with, but still enjoyed the show.  I'd ask my grandmother the same question.  She wouldn't answer, but she would usually say something about how the evil Democrats were going to ruin everything, that they were so deluded, so brainless, etc.  I don't think my grandmother enjoyed any of this.  Twenty years ago she would go on trips, garden, clean, and read lots of books. Ten years ago, her health was fading, and the only habit she was keeping up from her healthier years was Rush, and it still got her so worked up. She passed five years ago. She never complained to me or my mom, but we both feel like my grandfather could have found some way to subtract the Rush and add back in happier things.  But we don't think she ever complained to grandpa either.  For all any of us know she liked getting worked up like that.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020, 11:29 PM by EricC85.)

(02-03-2020, 11:03 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 10:49 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Could have sworn he was when he arrived on the scene.

Y'all changed.  Not me.  I'll admit my view on healthcare and climate change is closer to the Democrats than the Republicans, but overall I'm still a Republican.  I agree with them on many other issues, like giving state and local government more space, teaching kids there are two genders, reducing regulations, not killing babies, letting businesses fail when they make mistakes, etc.
It feels good to admit Republicans and Democrats each have some stuff wrong.  It makes it easier to spot when they get other stuff wrong, like what constitutes abuse of power and stuff.

Fair enough my views have evolved over the years. I’m less conservative more libertarian these days but I have a real soft spot for rush he was such a major part of my childhood

(02-03-2020, 11:03 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: The guy was a major cigar smoker.  He knew there was a price tag.

He gave up smoking a while back. I’m a smoker and I know some day I’ll probably pay the ultimate price but still doesn’t make it any less sad.

(02-03-2020, 11:03 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 10:49 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Could have sworn he was when he arrived on the scene.

You're as Republican as I'm a Nigerian Prince looking for someone to help offshore 9 million dollars.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-03-2020, 11:21 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 10:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: You're sidestepping, which is understandable given your reckless statement.

Every time I visited my grandfather, we had to listen to all three hours of Rush.  He enjoyed it, still does.  Even when Rush would get worked up, my grandfather would just be taking it in, calmly.  But my grandmother would get worked up right along with Rush.  I'd ask my grandfather afterwards if he agreed with everything, and he would say most of it, that he had sort of tuned out the parts he found himself not agreeing with, but still enjoyed the show.  I'd ask my grandmother the same question.  She wouldn't answer, but she would usually say something about how the evil Democrats were going to ruin everything, that they were so deluded, so brainless, etc.  I don't think my grandmother enjoyed any of this.  Twenty years ago she would go on trips, garden, clean, and read lots of books. Ten years ago, her health was fading, and the only habit she was keeping up from her healthier years was Rush, and it still got her so worked up. She passed five years ago. She never complained to me or my mom, but we both feel like my grandfather could have found some way to subtract the Rush and add back in happier things.  But we don't think she ever complained to grandpa either.  For all any of us know she liked getting worked up like that.

Jeff...  is that you?

Anyone notice how Mike derails every thread into the focus being about him?

(02-04-2020, 08:32 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Anyone notice how Mike derails every thread into the focus being about him?

What does Rush mean to you?