Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interesting comment from Burrow's team

From T.J. Houshmandzadeh, former Bengals wideout and one of Burrow's trainers:

“Do I want to draft him if I’m the Bengals? Yeah, but if the Dolphins are going to offer me three first-rounders, or if some team is going to offer me two first-rounders this year and a first-rounder next year, I have to strongly consider it for the good of the team.”

Hm...how many teams do we know of that could offer two firsts this year and a first next year without destroying themselves? Not saying I want this to happen (I don't), but if Housh is in any way tapped into what his old team is thinking, is he dropping hints?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Burrow might be a really really good QB for years to come.
But no player is a sure-thing. Even the great Andrew Luck wasn't as sure-fire as people claimed him to be. And his career ran short.

If some team is offering up 3 firsts, you should probably take him.
In this instance, moving into a spot where you could gain extra first rounders and still land a QB prospect like Tua would be too good to pass up imo.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 12:44 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(02-04-2020, 12:25 PM)Kane Wrote: Burrow might be a really really good QB for years to come.
But no player is a sure-thing. Even the great Andrew Luck wasn't as sure-fire as people claimed him to be. And his career ran short.

In this instance, moving into a spot where you could gain extra first rounders and still land a QB prospect like Tua would be too good to pass up imo.

I never understood the Andrew Luck hype.  Like i didnt see any peyton manning in him at all.  I knew he would be decent but the next best thing, i guess they had to hype up someone.  The man was INT prone from day 1.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(02-04-2020, 12:44 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 12:25 PM)Kane Wrote: Burrow might be a really really good QB for years to come.

I never understood the Andrew Luck hype.  Like i didnt see any peyton manning in him at all.  I knew he would be decent but the next best thing, i guess they had to hype up someone.  The man was INT prone from day 1.
Yea. He only took a 1 win team to 11 wins the very next season. What a loser.

The Colts did him no services by making play behind the worst OLine in football.

(02-04-2020, 12:44 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

Agree.  Was the same QB his next to last college season as he was the day he retired.

Same talented QB that made knuckleheaded mistakes he had to dig himself out of.

Those who overrated him from the beginning never are at a loss for excusing him (and themselves, by extension) for never becoming the guy promised.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(02-04-2020, 02:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 12:44 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I never understood the Andrew Luck hype.  Like i didnt see any peyton manning in him at all.  I knew he would be decent but the next best thing, i guess they had to hype up someone.  The man was INT prone from day 1.

The Colts did him no services by making play behind the worst OLine in football.

They totally tanked to get that 1 win... but yeah they weren't great and he made them better.
But he wasn't the QB that he was sold to be pre draft imo.

It's true he had a bad OL for most of his career there. But that's an excuse more than anything. Plenty of QBs go to bad teams with bad OL, or no weapons, or something.
Fact is, he had 7 seasons 3 of which were hampered by injury (and in the case of 2017 completely lost due to)
4-4 in playoffs 12-13 TD-INT ratio
His QBR was never better than 70
His Comp % was better than 64% just once (2018)

He was good... but he was the first overall selection of his draft and wasn't as good as people said he would be.

If Dalton hadn't worn out his welcome, I'd say they hold on another year and shop for picks - but I probably value picks more than others do.

I think Burrow will be a star. It's just that they need so much on defense and OL, and Burrow will likely have to survive an Aikman treatment his first couple seasons.

They certainly don't spend money or effort on scouting, so they can't afford to miss any picks putting this thing together around him.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(02-04-2020, 02:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 12:44 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I never understood the Andrew Luck hype.  Like i didnt see any peyton manning in him at all.  I knew he would be decent but the next best thing, i guess they had to hype up someone.  The man was INT prone from day 1.

I was going to reply with facts but others beat me to it.  I also don't think HE did it by himself.  The entire team got 11 wins and as i said before, Luck was a decent QB.  The next Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, NAH.
Season Tix, Section 409

(02-05-2020, 10:55 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 02:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yea. He only took a 1 win team to 11 wins the very next season. What a loser.

I was going to reply with facts but others beat me to it.  I also don't think HE did it by himself.  The entire team got 11 wins and as i said before, Luck was a decent QB.  The next Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, NAH.
I think if not for the injuries, he's in that tier. Let's not forget how long it took Manning and Brees to win a SB.

The Colts organization had an elite QB and completely botched it by giving him no help.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 11:51 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(02-05-2020, 11:15 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 10:55 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I was going to reply with facts but others beat me to it.  I also don't think HE did it by himself.  The entire team got 11 wins and as i said before, Luck was a decent QB.  The next Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, NAH.
I think if not for the injuries, he's in that tier. Let's not forget how long it took Manning and Brees to win a SB.

The Colts organization had an elite QB and completely botched it by giving him no help.

I see where you are coming from.  Alot of QBs get that disadvantage.  I think if not for bad drafting and FA signings, we would have alot of middle tier and a few more elite tier QBs.  Its just that this is a league that loves tradition.  No one likes to cater their philosophy to the players they draft, they prefer to force them to do what they like instead.  square peg, round hole thinking.
Season Tix, Section 409

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 11:55 AM by Upper.)

Man y'all are insane, Luck was great. Just look at all of the triple digits in his rate+ stats despite having some of the worst surrounding talent in the league. He won 11 games in each of his first 3 seasons despite having one of the least talented rosters, and other than the season he tried to play through his labrum tear never had a losing season.

I get the natural bias to knock players on rival teams, but this one is vastly missing the mark.

(02-05-2020, 11:52 AM)Upper Wrote: Man y'all are insane, Luck was great. Just look at all of the triple digits in his rate+ stats despite having some of the worst surrounding talent in the league. He won 11 games in each of his first 3 seasons despite having one of the least talented rosters, and other than the season he tried to play through his labrum tear never had a losing season.

I get the natural bias to knock players on rival teams, but this one is vastly missing the mark.

Not knocking just stating a personal view from watching him and not stats.  I never feared playing Luck like i was worried about Manning due to his inconsistency.  I knew he would be INT prone and as long as we kept him in the pocket, he wasnt going to dominate against even average secondaries.  He had a couple runs and i cant deny that but alot of those stats were against one of the worst divisions in the league with 2 of the worst teams in the league.  I dont think that makes him elite, just my 2 cents based on who he had to play 6 times a year.  thats 5 wins with a split against hou and then 6 against other teams.  Its really not that hard to see why his stats are higher than if he were playing in a tougher division.  Heck we blew them out with a healthy luck, which is something i cant say for other teams with truly elite QBs.
Season Tix, Section 409

(02-05-2020, 12:03 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 11:52 AM)Upper Wrote: Man y'all are insane, Luck was great. Just look at all of the triple digits in his rate+ stats despite having some of the worst surrounding talent in the league. He won 11 games in each of his first 3 seasons despite having one of the least talented rosters, and other than the season he tried to play through his labrum tear never had a losing season.

Not knocking just stating a personal view from watching him and not stats.  I never feared playing Luck like i was worried about Manning due to his inconsistency.  I knew he would be INT prone and as long as we kept him in the pocket, he wasnt going to dominate against even average secondaries.  He had a couple runs and i cant deny that but alot of those stats were against one of the worst divisions in the league with 2 of the worst teams in the league.  I dont think that makes him elite, just my 2 cents based on who he had to play 6 times a year.  thats 5 wins with a split against hou and then 6 against other teams.  Its really not that hard to see why his stats are higher than if he were playing in a tougher division.  Heck we blew them out with a healthy luck, which is something i cant say for other teams with truly elite QBs.
Luck was incredible and if he had the luxury of playing with Andy Reid or someone of that nature, you would see just how great he really was.

However, he was saddled with Pagano. Luck was so unlucky considering he had a bad HC and one of the worst GMS in NFL history.

Bortles blew out Tom Brady in 2018. He also beat Wilson in 2017.

(02-05-2020, 12:03 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Not knocking just stating a personal view from watching him and not stats.  I never feared playing Luck like i was worried about Manning due to his inconsistency. 

Ok so your problem is that you're comparing him to one of the top 5 QBs of all time. He was still great whether you look at it by eye test, box scores, or team success.

(02-05-2020, 12:21 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 12:03 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Not knocking just stating a personal view from watching him and not stats.  I never feared playing Luck like i was worried about Manning due to his inconsistency. 

Ok so your problem is that you're comparing him to one of the top 5 QBs of all time. He was still great whether you look at it by eye test, box scores, or team success.

Apart from the playoffs

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 01:01 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(02-05-2020, 12:21 PM)Upper Wrote:

If you want to say he was great so be it.  I just threw out a list of QBs that i see as top tier in the last 5 to 10 years of the sport.  I guess there hasn't been alot of greatness at the QB position or i'm just not as giddy as i use to be about QB play.  Luck was just the guy the colts drafted that i never thought would be elite.  I dont understand why he was hyped up so much coming out of college and always had doubts before he even hit the field.  Heck, i thought he had the best chance of being elite with the old heads running the asylum with being a good pocket passer with the good measurables.  The fact that they didnt build around him just goes to show the stubborness. The elite qbs that lead their teams to greatness with mediocre talent were playing in a different time with diff rules. Luck was not going to be that guy and even in a pass heavy league he wasnt as successful as he should've been. I think the game is finally changing though.  Too many good mobile QBs coming out and the race card is not dividing it.  There are enough caucasian QBs that can move that the league will start changing up.  The old view of black qbs being only speedster who cant throw is growing past its prime and as with most things in real life, the playing field is getting closer to even so it will be more acceptable to change and not look like the odd man out.
Season Tix, Section 409

Upper thinks every player not on the Jaguars is automatically awesome.

(02-05-2020, 01:01 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Upper thinks every player not on the Jaguars is automatically awesome.
To be fair, hasn't been many good Jaguar players lately.

No one is saying he sucked.
He was just upsold pre draft as a franchise changing, 15 year, next big thing at QB. The next "Manning, Brady, whatever"

And he wasn't. He wasn't anything better than a number of other middling franchise QBs. (He's closer to Philip Rivers or Eli, than Manning or Brady) He had a penchant for throwing a lot of INTs and overall wasn't great in the playoffs.
Did he have an all-star OL? no. Most QBs don't. But he didn't elevate his team and had Reggie Wayne for his first few and TY Hilton his entire career. He had a better roster than the majority of AFCS squads during his time (and racked up most of his wins versus those bad teams)

First overall pick turned in less than a decade of a career and 4 playoff wins. And very good but not really great stats honestly.

Not saying the guy was bad. Just never bought the hype and certainly ain't buying it now. He was good but it isn't insane to say that he wasn't what he was supposed to be or what everyone thought he would be.

It isn't a bias thing.
Watson, very good, proved me wrong after only 2 seasons... thought he was being oversold.
Hopkins, top 3 WR in the league his entire career....
Henry is a beast...

I got no problem giving credit to rivals when it is due...

(02-05-2020, 04:02 PM)Kane Wrote:

No one is saying he sucked.
He was just upsold pre draft as a franchise changing, 15 year, next big thing at QB. The next "Manning, Brady, whatever"

And he wasn't. He wasn't anything better than a number of other middling franchise QBs. (He's closer to Philip Rivers or Eli, than Manning or Brady) He had a penchant for throwing a lot of INTs and overall wasn't great in the playoffs.
Did he have an all-star OL? no. Most QBs don't. But he didn't elevate his team and had Reggie Wayne for his first few and TY Hilton his entire career. He had a better roster than the majority of AFCS squads during his time (and racked up most of his wins versus those bad teams)

First overall pick turned in less than a decade of a career and 4 playoff wins. And very good but not really great stats honestly.

Not saying the guy was bad. Just never bought the hype and certainly ain't buying it now. He was good but it isn't insane to say that he wasn't what he was supposed to be or what everyone thought he would be.

It isn't a bias thing.
Watson, very good, proved me wrong after only 2 seasons... thought he was being oversold.
Hopkins, top 3 WR in the league his entire career....
Henry is a beast...

I got no problem giving credit to rivals when it is due...

+1k  Luck was decent most definitely but the hype was atrocious.  Alot of QBs get hyped up so its not his fault.  The media does it every year just to try and be first when a player does have a great career.  Us fans probably hit on that more than they do.
Season Tix, Section 409