Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars hire Trent Baalke as director of player personnel

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...personnel/

This is the move that brings us back to glory.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 05:37 PM by pirkster.)

...and somewhere TMD is experiencing joy of joy.

Who's going to be the first to call for him to put the band (Kaepernick, Harbaugh) back together?
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

That 49ers team was loaded with talent so I guess it's decent get. However, that franchise also took a few prospects with questionable character issues and had their own big name LB retire early, so I'm not sure how much of an upgrade this will be.

Plus if the Jags stay bad this year, he'll will probably be gone before he really makes too many changes.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 06:22 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

The man that traded for Gabbert.

The 49ers fired Baalke after the 2016 season.  Thus, they essentially got good when he left the 49ers

(02-04-2020, 06:21 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The man that traded for Gabbert.

The 49ers fired Baalke after the 2016 season.  Thus, they essentially got good when he left the 49ers

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/49ers Assuming Baalke ran the drafts in SF during his tenure there he had some decent picks. His first year there, they jad similar draft position to us now *they had picks 11 & 17 in the first, as opposed to 9 and 20 for us). He drafted Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in the first round, then later came back and LB Navorro Bowman later. The next year, he drafted Aldon Smith, who had problems off the field, but was good enough for long enough to help SG get to a Super bowl. He drafted a decent S in Eric Reid and a decent TE in Vance McDonald. He also added Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner and Tartt ti their current Super Bowl team. He added Donte Whitner as a Free Agent in 2011, who went on to make a Pro bowl with them. Also added OL Alex Boone. When the 49ers fell offm they were hit with some major losses in a short period of time, including Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Patrick Willis. I don't see him as a bad hire, though I hated the Chip Kelly hire.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-04-2020, 08:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/49ers Assuming Baalke ran the drafts in SF during his tenure there he had some decent picks. His first year there, they jad similar draft position to us now *they had picks 11 & 17 in the first, as opposed to 9 and 20 for us). He drafted Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in the first round, then later came back and LB Navorro Bowman later. The next year, he drafted Aldon Smith, who had problems off the field, but was good enough for long enough to help SG get to a Super bowl. He drafted a decent S in Eric Reid and a decent TE in Vance McDonald. He also added Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner and Tartt ti their current Super Bowl team. He added Donte Whitner as a Free Agent in 2011, who went on to make a Pro bowl with them. Also added OL Alex Boone. When the 49ers fell offm they were hit with some major losses in a short period of time, including Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Patrick Willis. I don't see him as a bad hire, though I hated the Chip Kelly hire.

Welcome back, Bullseye. We sure do miss you around here.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 08:34 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-04-2020, 08:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 08:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/49ers Assuming Baalke ran the drafts in SF during his tenure there he had some decent picks. His first year there, they jad similar draft position to us now *they had picks 11 & 17 in the first, as opposed to 9 and 20 for us). He drafted Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in the first round, then later came back and LB Navorro Bowman later. The next year, he drafted Aldon Smith, who had problems off the field, but was good enough for long enough to help SG get to a Super bowl. He drafted a decent S in Eric Reid and a decent TE in Vance McDonald. He also added Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner and Tartt ti their current Super Bowl team. He added Donte Whitner as a Free Agent in 2011, who went on to make a Pro bowl with them. Also added OL Alex Boone. When the 49ers fell offm they were hit with some major losses in a short period of time, including Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Patrick Willis. I don't see him as a bad hire, though I hated the Chip Kelly hire.

Welcome back, Bullseye. We sure do miss you around here.

Thanks.  Missed you guys & gals too.

Why didn't I stay away?  Fast forward to the 49 second mark

https://youtu.be/6g2JN2PrHJg?t=49

(02-04-2020, 05:33 PM)pirkster Wrote: ...and somewhere TMD is experiencing joy of joy.

Who's going to be the first to call for him to put the band (Kaepernick, Harbaugh) back together?

Baalke and Harbaugh had a falling out, so don't see that happening. I can't really draw any conclusions about Baalke's people skills there because Harbaugh has pooped on a lot of people over the years.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(02-04-2020, 08:31 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 08:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Welcome back, Bullseye. We sure do miss you around here.

Thanks.  Missed you guys & gals too.

Why didn't I stay away?  Fast forward to the 49 second mark

https://youtu.be/6g2JN2PrHJg?t=49

Lol. Consider yourself permanently franchise tagged.

This hire is payback for taking Gabbs off our hands.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The problem with hiring Baalke is Caldwell is still the GM. Baalke is an input, but not the decision maker.

Well well… greetings and salutations Bullseye. Great to have you back. Your insight was very so missed. And yes.. I don't social media so … I have nowhere else to go.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-04-2020, 08:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I looked around for takes on the Baalke hiring, and most outside observers I saw seemed to trash the move, so I decided to do a little more digging.

In 2010, he took Anthony Davis at 11, right after Gene Smith took Tyson Alualu.  He made the same mistake Smith did, bypassing Earl Thomas, and JPP,  In 2012, he took WR AJ Jenkins (a colossal bust) at the bottom of the first round over Alshon Jeffery and like too many team, bypassed Russell freaking Wilson at the bottom of the 2nd round.  Yeah he took a decent TE in Vance McDonald at the bottom of the 2nd, but took him over Travis freaking Kelce who went to KC at the top of the 3rd.

Bottom line:  he certainly isn't beyond reproach.

(02-05-2020, 09:14 AM)ATLjag Wrote: The problem with hiring Baalke is Caldwell is still the GM.  Baalke is an input, but not the decision maker.

A problem for Caldwell...  especially as he's on his very last, final, last chance now.

welcome back  bullseye. its great to see you again. how are you feeling? is your health a little better?

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Hey Bullseye is back!! Very much missed.

I would like to add to the chorus; welcome back Bullseye!

(02-05-2020, 12:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 08:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/49ers Assuming Baalke ran the drafts in SF during his tenure there he had some decent picks. His first year there, they jad similar draft position to us now *they had picks 11 & 17 in the first, as opposed to 9 and 20 for us). He drafted Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in the first round, then later came back and LB Navorro Bowman later. The next year, he drafted Aldon Smith, who had problems off the field, but was good enough for long enough to help SG get to a Super bowl. He drafted a decent S in Eric Reid and a decent TE in Vance McDonald. He also added Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner and Tartt ti their current Super Bowl team. He added Donte Whitner as a Free Agent in 2011, who went on to make a Pro bowl with them. Also added OL Alex Boone. When the 49ers fell offm they were hit with some major losses in a short period of time, including Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Patrick Willis. I don't see him as a bad hire, though I hated the Chip Kelly hire.

I looked around for takes on the Baalke hiring, and most outside observers I saw seemed to trash the move, so I decided to do a little more digging.

In 2010, he took Anthony Davis at 11, right after Gene Smith took Tyson Alualu.  He made the same mistake Smith did, bypassing Earl Thomas, and JPP,  In 2012, he took WR AJ Jenkins (a colossal bust) at the bottom of the first round over Alshon Jeffery and like too many team, bypassed Russell freaking Wilson at the bottom of the 2nd round.  Yeah he took a decent TE in Vance McDonald at the bottom of the 2nd, but took him over Travis freaking Kelce who went to KC at the top of the 3rd.

Good to see you on the board, Bullseye!
[Image: giphy.gif]

(02-05-2020, 12:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I looked around for takes on the Baalke hiring, and most outside observers I saw seemed to trash the move, so I decided to do a little more digging.

First off, welcome back!

Second, I agree, we could have done a lot worse. My concern is that much like I think the Khans are doing with the Jay Gruden hire, they're trying to use Baalke as an in-house replacement should Caldwell fall flat again. In some ways, that's good. The next GM will have input into the first two first-rounders of his tenure. In others, it's worse because now we have a guy in place that might keep Khan from looking at other guys from other successful teams next year. Baalke's not a solid-gold hire by any means, but he's a lot better than most retreads.