Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is This How It All Ends?

If we did indeed move, who then becomes the team that has the least revenue? Will they have to go through this? I do believe it's greed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-07-2020, 04:13 PM)shadowjag01 Wrote: If we did indeed move, who then becomes the team that has the least revenue? Will they have to go through this? I do believe it's greed.

If there's a place where they can make more money, then the fans of that team will be tortured year after year with speculation that the team could move.  Just like we have been for the last 20 years.

(02-07-2020, 05:06 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:13 PM)shadowjag01 Wrote: If we did indeed move, who then becomes the team that has the least revenue? Will they have to go through this? I do believe it's greed.

If there's a place where they can make more money, then the fans of that team will be tortured year after year with speculation that the team could move.  Just like we have been for the last 20 years.

This is partly why, when I heard Jeff Prosser ask would you rather have 6 games or none, my thought was none. Jacksonville will never be able to compete with the major markets so if that's the goal, why stretch it out? Move the team to a major market and get it over with. Buffalo and New Orleans would probably be next although Nashville and Cincinnati aren't safe either. It's the way the league's going.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-07-2020, 08:35 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 05:06 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: If there's a place where they can make more money, then the fans of that team will be tortured year after year with speculation that the team could move.  Just like we have been for the last 20 years.

This is partly why, when I heard Jeff Prosser ask would you rather have 6 games or none, my thought was none. Jacksonville will never be able to compete with the major markets so if that's the goal, why stretch it out? Move the team to a major market and get it over with. Buffalo and New Orleans would probably be next although Nashville and Cincinnati aren't safe either. It's the way the league's going.
The people in Buffalo have absolutely nothing going on except football.

What makes you say NO?

(02-07-2020, 08:16 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 07:45 AM)Dimson Wrote: It isn't about the team making money. It is about keeping up with the money the other NFL teams make. That is what it boils down to. It isn't greed to want to make money comparable to the other teams in the league.

Look, we were 22nd this year in total attendance at home, granted that is including the wembley game. Still, where and what is acceptable for a team who has 1 winning season per decade, then sucks the rest of the time, supposed to perform? We have the second smallest tv market of all nfl teams bro. Finishing anywhere above 31st in revenue and attendance should be seen as a win for a young, small market franchise that has struggled mightily over the last 15+ years. 2017 and even 2018 numbers show you that if you can generate hype around the team by simply winning and being competitive, Jacksonville is more than capable of supporting a franchise. Hell, we’ve proven that now anyways even while losing.

I totally agree with this. Since Khan bought the team, the value of the Jaguars franchise has at least tripled. He's made money hand over fist on this investment. To demand the 31st largest market has to be up in the middle of revenue is unrealistic and, yes, greedy. I see him as simply laying a foundation for Tony to move the team to London once Tony takes the reins and the lease needs renewal.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(02-08-2020, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 08:35 PM)hb1148 Wrote: This is partly why, when I heard Jeff Prosser ask would you rather have 6 games or none, my thought was none. Jacksonville will never be able to compete with the major markets so if that's the goal, why stretch it out? Move the team to a major market and get it over with. Buffalo and New Orleans would probably be next although Nashville and Cincinnati aren't safe either. It's the way the league's going.

What makes you say NO?

I say no because I'm tired. Tired of supporting a bad product. Tired of the accusation that what we in Jacksonville give isnt enough. Tired of being told if we just give them more money then we can keep the right to give them more money. Tired of hearing that winning matters. Tired of wasting hours on Sunday. Tired of playing the tittians on Thursday night. Tired of bad line play, of obsolete football schemes, and Todd Wash. Tired of hearing that Downtown can be revitalized. Tired of the naysayers being right. Tired of it all.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2020, 10:32 AM by The Real Marty.)

To fill that stadium, there needs to be an emotional connection between the fans and the team.  That's because shelling out that much money for a ticket to a football game is not a rational decision.   It's an emotional decision.  And what Khan is either willfully ignoring or simply ignorant of is the fact that it is impossible for local fans to make an emotional connection to a team that appears to have one foot out the door.  

And this is why moving that game to London could do as much to hurt local revenue as it does to help it.   More revenue in London, less revenue in Jacksonville.  It's a zero sum transaction that only accomplishes one thing: damaging the relationship between the team and the fans in Jacksonville.  

Fan support is like a marriage; it's a fragile thing.  It involves trust.  And once that trust is damaged, it is very hard to get it back.  No one will invest themselves emotionally in a relationship where they think they are about to get burned.  

That's why this move is so surprisingly tone-deaf.  If he is sincere in wanting to keep the team in Jacksonville, this might be a huge blunder.  

But of course I am often wrong about many things.  Time will tell.

(02-08-2020, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The people in Buffalo have absolutely nothing going on except football.

What makes you say NO?

Buffalo also has Toronto right next door, with a much larger population, a better stadium, and a lot more money. I could also see the Bills trying to pull off a "move to Toronto but still pitch this to Bills fans as their team" move, which worked out oh so well for the Chargers, but the Bills don't care because money.

I think New Orleans is safe at this point. If they survived Katrina and the very open flirtation between Tom Benson and their adopted home in San Antonio, the Saints can survive anything there.

(02-08-2020, 09:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I say no because I'm tired. Tired of supporting a bad product. Tired of the accusation that what we in Jacksonville give isnt enough. Tired of being told if we just give them more money then we can keep the right to give them more money. Tired of hearing that winning matters. Tired of wasting hours on Sunday. Tired of playing the tittians on Thursday night. Tired of bad line play, of obsolete football schemes, and Todd Wash. Tired of hearing that Downtown can be revitalized. Tired of the naysayers being right. Tired of it all.

+111111111111111111111111oneoneoneoneoneoneoneoneoneeleven.

Even as Weaver was supposedly trying to move the team to LA, he wasn't giving off that vibe from within the organization. Just articles from PFT and ESPN saying that they had heard from one source or another that he wanted to do so, and that he ultimately sold the team because the NFL wanted a higher profile team there and wouldn't sign off on it. Please don't ask me to dig up the articles--I'm only here this morning because I had eight reports dropped on me yesterday afternoon that need to be done by Monday afternoon, each report takes about four hours and, well, you do the math. Just think back to 2005-2009 and how many times the words "Jaguars" and "Los Angeles" appeared in the same sentence.

The signs with Khan were there from the start. He tried to buy the Rams with the intent of moving them to LA and was shot down. There was a clause in his contract buying out the Jaguars that guaranteed Weaver a token sum of money ($5 million-ish?) if Khan moved the team within five years. Not that $5M would have stopped him from moving the team to a market like LA. Why would you put that there unless you knew that the intent was to ultimately move the team? Weaver stopped just short of confirming that was the intention when he said that Khan hadn't given him his word or made any assurances that the team would stay put, and he hadn't pushed for one. Then he shipped out a home game, tried to buy Wembley Stadium, and will likely try again. Then a second home game followed by a "press conference" in which he sat one-on-one with a lightweight team employee/reporter throwing softball questions that were no doubt written by the team for her to ask. Now he's stuck a syringe into Jacksonville's arm and is content to let the city slowly bleed out until London is ready. Even at a 4-4 split, even if that's where it stays (or 4 Jax, 5 London if the 17-gave season happens), these are no longer the Jacksonville Jaguars. They're the London Jaguars, who use Jacksonville as a convenient home base because it's not too far away and allows them to benefit from US tax and labor laws, so who cares if they play a few games a year in front of 12 fans in one of the top ten swamp cities in northeast Florida?

(02-08-2020, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 08:35 PM)hb1148 Wrote: This is partly why, when I heard Jeff Prosser ask would you rather have 6 games or none, my thought was none. Jacksonville will never be able to compete with the major markets so if that's the goal, why stretch it out? Move the team to a major market and get it over with. Buffalo and New Orleans would probably be next although Nashville and Cincinnati aren't safe either. It's the way the league's going.

What makes you say NO?

It's a small market (smaller than Jax population wise) and although it's culturally much "larger", there's a finite amount of money there too. My wife has family in the area and they talk about what would happen if their owner ever wanted a new stadium, they don't see it as being doable. The dome there has been updated quite a few times but there's only so much you can do with updates.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2020, 01:13 PM by dennisp3.)

This is the way of the new United States of America rich people getting richer on poor peoples back’s. Khan Has shown his true colors like all the 1% or’s in this country pack your pockets with money make sure you are a stockholders get good dividends while your workers fight to make a living. Khan has business To fill his pockets with money he doesn’t need to use the franchise as another money making machine. He’s certainly not losing money with this franchise. What did he pay for it and what is it worth. I had great respect and always supported Mr.Khan , but this has certainly change my opinion of the man. And let me say one last thing I am not buying this crapAbout construction being the reason to move another home game to London we all know it’s about money not the players not the fans but the bottom line.

(02-08-2020, 01:09 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: This is the way of the new United States of America rich people getting richer on poor peoples back’s. Khan Has shown his true colors like all the 1% or’s in this country pack your pockets with money make sure your stockholders get good dividends while your workers fight to make a living. Khan has business To fill his pockets with money he doesn’t need to use the franchise as another money making machine. He’s certainly not losing money with this franchise. What did he pay for it and what is it worth. I had great respect and always supported Mr.Khan , but this has certainly change my opinion of the man. And let me say one last thing I am not buying this crapAbout construction being the reason to move another home game to London we all know it’s about money not the players not the fans but the bottom line.

Sorry about double post tried to edit screwed up

(02-08-2020, 09:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The people in Buffalo have absolutely nothing going on except football.

What makes you say NO?

I say no because I'm tired. Tired of supporting a bad product. Tired of the accusation that what we in Jacksonville give isnt enough. Tired of being told if we just give them more money then we can keep the right to give them more money. Tired of hearing that winning matters. Tired of wasting hours on Sunday. Tired of playing the tittians on Thursday night. Tired of bad line play, of obsolete football schemes, and Todd Wash. Tired of hearing that Downtown can be revitalized. Tired of the naysayers being right. Tired of it all.
Lol when I wrote NO I meant New Orleans but point taken.

The only reason im not giving up on this team is Gardner Minshew.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020, 09:52 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

(02-07-2020, 08:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 08:16 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Look, we were 22nd this year in total attendance at home, granted that is including the wembley game. Still, where and what is acceptable for a team who has 1 winning season per decade, then sucks the rest of the time, supposed to perform? We have the second smallest tv market of all nfl teams bro. Finishing anywhere above 31st in revenue and attendance should be seen as a win for a young, small market franchise that has struggled mightily over the last 15+ years. 2017 and even 2018 numbers show you that if you can generate hype around the team by simply winning and being competitive, Jacksonville is more than capable of supporting a franchise. Hell, we’ve proven that now anyways even while losing.

We are capable of supporting a franchise if the only requirement is to make a profit.  Unfortunately, the same revenue-sharing model that enables that profit is a double-edged sword.  Other owners are also sharing their revenue, and they see themselves as subsidizing our team.  For example, since TV revenue is shared equally, if the Jaguars bring in a fraction of the TV revenue that certain other teams do, why would they be happy about giving the Jaguars an equal share?  

Yes, we make a profit, but it comes from the TV money, and the other owners would say Jacksonville does not pull its weight in that regard.  It's too small.  

As for the "22nd in total attendance" argument, it's easy to be 22nd in attendance if your ticket prices are among the lowest in the league.  If all they want is attendance, they can cut the ticket price to $1 and they'd have the highest attendance in the league.  It's not how many bodies are in the seats, it's the total money they pay to be there.  Additionally, since visiting teams get a percentage of the ticket revenue for their game in Jacksonville, why would they be happy about the low ticket revenue they are sharing?  Visiting teams make way more money on an away game in Dallas than they do in Jacksonville, because they get their standard share of a lot more ticket money.  

It's not greed to want to make more revenue.  It's necessity, because if they don't make more money, eventually the other owners could force a move.

This is also a bunch of hog wash. I ask the same question. Where should a bad Jaguars team, with no national TV games (TNF doesn't really count) and a piss poor record supposed to be on a list of TOTAL REVENUE GENERATED per year? 

If we use your logic, the Dallas Cowboys should feel they subsidize every other team, because 2nd place to Dallas is over 250 MILLION off in revenues for 2019. It's no surprise that Dallas also had the most prime time TV time too(tied for most). We are 23rd, still, as I stated, BETTER than their actual market rank among NFL teams. 

We also out performed teams like the Chiefs, who just won a freaking super bowl. We hear nothing of "long term sustainability in our market" from them, yet the Chiefs are valued slightly less than our Jaguars are worth, and made less revenue who also had 5 prime time games vs our 1, if you count TNF. 

The business model of the NFL makes ticket sales and concessions its least most important factor for revenues, just ahead of corporate sponsorship. TV deals and product licensing are far, far larger of the  "revenue pie" than anything else, nothing comes close. 

It does not matter how you slice it, attendance or revenue, the Jaguars are out performing their market share in revenue when you factor in size of market compared to other NFL teams who are performing worse than us. 23rd out of 32 should be celebrated for crying out loud. What more do you and money grubber Kahn want from this market and fan base????

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

(02-07-2020, 10:52 AM)Rico Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 10:39 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Jacksonville is more than capable of supporting our team. Nobody wants to go to games where it’s 105 heat index and our players aren’t even trying. You’d be hard pressed to find any fan base that would stand for that. This is all about Khan’s greed and nothing more. [BLEEP] Khan.

It sucks losing another home game...it really sucks...but this attitude is [BLEEP] stupid.

I considered cancelling my season tickets because of another home game lost.  It's not about people in the stands.  It's about towing your weight as far as the other teams in the league.  I've seen it explained in numerous places but this has very little to do with Khan's "greed".  With revenue sharing, he has 31 other owners to answer to.  They are, if not all...most, currently carrying us as far as our 'equal' share of that revenue pool.  

I get it.  I don't like it at all, but I get it.

It's all about making downtown more of a 'destination'.  It's a shame that riverfront has never been developed.  It's been sitting vacant since I moved here 30 years ago.  It should be a destination.  It should have been years ago.  But it's just sitting there.  There isn't crap to do around the stadium as it stands right now.  Would you go down to the stadium area if there was no game?  Hopefully the city can get it's [BLEEP] in gear and something can be done.
What would Jacksonville be like-downtown and the metropolitan area- had that mayor agreed t let Disney build here instead of Orlando?

I didn't know what else to do with this article, but it seems to fit here.  While losing the 2nd home game-and possibly more- is a gut punch to local fans, this article seems equally foreboding.  if anything, it seems to add a sense of urgency.

https://www.si.com/johnwallstreet/sports...ga84_zB7m0

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I’m going to renew my tickets, but the general trend is a bad one.
Like Marty said, moving a second game to London will likely backfire for them if their intend is to actually help the bottom line. I think they will increase revenue for that game, but the likelihood for the remaining 6 games being at capacity are smaller and smaller.

You can’t improve this fan base when you have one foot out the door.
You can’t improve this fan base when your record is abysmal for about the last 15 years.
Us continuing to go to the games is irrational (but alright)... but there’s a point where this fan base will say “well screw you, go to London if you prefer London”.

Our only hope is going on a multi-year winning streak. Winning makes everything better and doable. Coming off 2017 you’re much more likely to overlook things and spend your money.

I feel that this team has alienated the fan base. There is less trust, less excitement, less interest overall IMO.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I had 3 club seats, didn't renew last year. After 2017 they raised the [BLEEP] outta the tickets. We were hopeful and then got that [BLEEP] show. Last season both my wife and I got laid off and we didn't renew. Most of the time I was happy but, hated that I missed the Minshew hype and the general gameday feel.

I've got a sizable credit on my account for a good amount so I think we'll be back in gen pop this year.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(02-29-2020, 02:03 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: I had 3 club seats, didn't renew last year. After 2017 they raised the [BLEEP] outta the tickets. We were hopeful and then got that [BLEEP] show. Last season both my wife and I got laid off and we didn't renew. Most of the time I was happy but, hated that I missed the Minshew hype and the general gameday feel.

I've got a sizable credit on my account for a good amount so I think we'll be back in gen pop this year.

We've bought season tickets every year. I haven't renewed yet this year though. I'm struggling with the decision for a number of reasons.
  • Ultimately, I'm still a fan of this sorry franchise.
  • I don't want to support an owner who seems to be positioning to move the team eventually.
  • I do like the game day experience.
  • I want to keep my name on the Founder's Wall.
That's 3 to 1. I'll probably end up renewing at the last minute.  Confused

What is baffling is the Cicinati Bengals in all these discussions. That team and ownership is the outlier of outliers. I guess the owner doesn't care enough to do much.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(03-01-2020, 07:57 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 02:03 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: I had 3 club seats, didn't renew last year. After 2017 they raised the [BLEEP] outta the tickets. We were hopeful and then got that [BLEEP] show. Last season both my wife and I got laid off and we didn't renew. Most of the time I was happy but, hated that I missed the Minshew hype and the general gameday feel.

We've bought season tickets every year. I haven't renewed yet this year though. I'm struggling with the decision for a number of reasons.
  • I don't want to support an owner who seems to be positioning to move the team eventually.
Exactly my position. I'm leaning towards not renewing but in the end, I'll probably take another leap of faith and renew in the final hours.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(03-01-2020, 07:57 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

Meh...I did it.  It'll be a different experience now.  My entire tailgating group disbanded.  This will be the first time ever that I'll be going to games without tailgating, and the first time I've gone to the games in 12 years with my wife.  She likes going to the game but was never into the long day with the tailgating...even when they were playing well.  We'll probably go down at about 11:00, eat something pre-cooked/packaged, then go in.  We'll see how I like it this year.  I'll have to consider myself on a year-to-year basis at this point.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]