Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump's Budget to Attack Spending

It true then FINALLY!

"This week, we reviewed an advance copy of the President’s Budget FY2021 that will be submitted to Congress on Monday, February 10th. The president’s budget includes a bold and detailed chapter on curbing waste, fraud, corruption, and taxpayer abuse."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzej...2f11e40746
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It doesn't achieve the goal of balancing, but it gets us closer than anyone has even cared to even try since 1998.

It does, however, project a significant reduction as a portion of GDP - which again, would be better than any budget in over 20 years.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

If I had a nickle for every President's budget that has "a bold and detailed chapter on curbing waste, fraud, corruption, and taxpayer abuse" then I would have a dollar at least.

It never happens.

Actions speak louder than words, and so far, the deficits under Trump have just about doubled to over a trillion dollars a year. Having a deficit of that size when the economy is booming is pure economic malpractice, because if we have a deficit that bad now, if we have a recession, the deficits will be unsustainable, and that could result in an incredible disaster.

[Image: image008-copy.jpg?w=447&ssl=1]

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-10-2020, 09:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If I had a nickle for every President's budget that has "a bold and detailed chapter on curbing waste, fraud, corruption, and taxpayer abuse" then I would have a dollar at least.  

It never happens.  

Actions speak louder than words, and so far, the deficits under Trump have just about doubled to over a trillion dollars a year.   Having a deficit of that size when the economy is booming is pure economic malpractice, because if we have a deficit that bad now, if we have a recession, the deficits will be unsustainable, and that could result in an incredible disaster.

First budget cut...

This means little when you have a circus in Congress.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

The only way anything changes is for Trump to shut the government down until they provide a balanced budget. Don't even ask to cut into the deficit, just make them get a balanced budget for 1 year. No funny accounting, taxes - spending = 0.

If they won't do it, shutting the government down will save a lot of spending while it's closed.

(02-11-2020, 03:34 AM)p_rushing Wrote: The only way anything changes is for Trump to shut the government down until they provide a balanced budget. Don't even ask to cut into the deficit, just make them get a balanced budget for 1 year. No funny accounting, taxes - spending = 0.

If they won't do it, shutting the government down will save a lot of spending while it's closed.

Too draconian and massively disruptive. It needs to be a well planned process. Which means Washington can’t do it.

We’re screwed.

(02-11-2020, 03:34 AM)p_rushing Wrote: The only way anything changes is for Trump to shut the government down until they provide a balanced budget. Don't even ask to cut into the deficit, just make them get a balanced budget for 1 year. No funny accounting, taxes - spending = 0.

I agree we shouldn't be running such a large deficit during good times, but the idea that we need to go all the way down to a balanced budget - why?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020, 10:17 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-11-2020, 07:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Too draconian and massively disruptive. It needs to be a well planned process. Which means Washington can’t do it.

We’re screwed.

Absolutely correct on all points!

Do you have any idea how they would cut $1 trillion from spending in one year?  And how that large a cut would affect our economy, and therefore, the taxes they collect, therefore deepening the deficit and requiring still more cuts?

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020, 10:32 AM by mikesez.)

There's no need to build a wall.
We could be spending a lot less on new ships.
We could be spending a lot less on foreign aid.
We could roll back purchases of the F35, because we know it will never do all it was promised to do.
We could have Medicare demand lower prescription drug prices, and lower prices for hardware like joint replacements. The UK recently got like. 75% discount on joint replacements from a company that makes them here.
We could be making it easier to transition off of SSI disability and into part time work.
We could be making states with high section 8 costs actually build more modestly sized housing as a condition of continuing to get a high level of funds.
We could be demanding that teaching hospitals hire more residents, rather than less.

So many ways we could put long term spending on a more sustainable path. Use welfare spending to boost the supply of things, rather than just the demand for them.

(02-11-2020, 10:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 07:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Too draconian and massively disruptive. It needs to be a well planned process. Which means Washington can’t do it.

We’re screwed.

Absolutely correct on all points!

Do you have any idea how they would cut $1 trillion from spending in one year?  And how that large a cut would affect our economy, and therefore, the taxes they collect, therefore deepening the deficit and requiring still more cuts?

I agree, but there are no future savings that are make believe. Any decisions made today with future savings to get to break even are meaningless when the future is changed by the same or different members. The only way to ever get back to balanced is to cut big time. Cut whole agencies.

Markets wouldn't be impacted too much unless you cut from agencies that have regulatory responsibilities. Plus you increase wages if you stop H1Bs, punish companies for hiring illegals, and save tons of money when the illegals can't work and leave freeing up social services money.

Unsustainable spending will end us if we don't end it. If we ran our households like Congress spends our money, we'd all be bankrupt.

Many will complain about Trump's budget.

Fun fact: The House has not and does not plan on submitting a budget for 2020.

That tells you all you need to know about our "leadership" at the federal level.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020, 08:14 AM by mikesez.)

(02-11-2020, 11:02 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Markets wouldn't be impacted too much unless you cut from agencies that have regulatory responsibilities.

A bunch of the federal workforce or federal contractors loses its jobs, and goes on unemployment, that would definitely negatively impact consumer spending, house prices, and the stock market in the short term.

(02-11-2020, 11:02 PM)p_rushing Wrote:  Plus you increase wages if you stop H1Bs, punish companies for hiring illegals, and save tons of money when the illegals can't work and leave freeing up social services money.

H1B visas are the one type that Republicans proposed leaving alone. 
Democrat politicians never met a visa they didn't like. Republican politicians take a dimmer view, but they love the H1B.
You're correct that the H1B depresses wages and probably lowers tax receipts.
Illegal immigration also depresses wages. But the illegals themselves are not a burden on the federal budget because they cannot claim any benefits. The H1B recipients also claim very few benefits.
The one good thing is that the typical illegal immigrant wants to spend the rest of their life in this country. They will try to buy a home. They will raise their kids here. The typical H1B recipient tries to save as much of his salary as possible to take it back to his home country.  So in my opinion H1B visas depressed the local economy even more than illegal immigration.

(02-11-2020, 10:31 AM)mikesez Wrote: There's no need to build a wall.
We could roll back purchases of the F35, because we know it will never do all it was promised to do.
We could have Medicare demand lower prescription drug prices, and lower prices for hardware like joint replacements.  The UK recently got like. 75% discount on joint replacements from a company that makes them here.
We could be making it easier to transition off of SSI disability and into part time work.
We could be making states with high section 8 costs actually build more modestly sized housing as a condition of continuing to get a high level of funds.
We could be demanding that teaching hospitals hire more residents, rather than less.

So many ways we could put long term spending on a more sustainable path.  Use welfare spending to boost the supply of things, rather than just the demand for them.

Is there some great untapped supply of medical school graduates out there looking for a residency? Do tell, I'm hiring.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-12-2020, 08:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 10:31 AM)mikesez Wrote: There's no need to build a wall.
We could have Medicare demand lower prescription drug prices, and lower prices for hardware like joint replacements.  The UK recently got like. 75% discount on joint replacements from a company that makes them here.

So many ways we could put long term spending on a more sustainable path.  Use welfare spending to boost the supply of things, rather than just the demand for them.

Is there some great untapped supply of medical school graduates out there looking for a residency? Do tell, I'm hiring.

the medical schools try to match their number of incoming students to the number of available residency spots. Which is why you need a wildly high undergraduate GPA to get into medical school.

(02-12-2020, 09:16 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Is there some great untapped supply of medical school graduates out there looking for a residency? Do tell, I'm hiring.

the medical schools are controlled by the AMA who try to match their number of incoming students to the number dollars they can earn by choking supply. Which is why you need wildly high undergraduate GPA to get into medical school.

(02-12-2020, 10:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 09:16 AM)mikesez Wrote: the medical schools are controlled by the AMA who try to match their number of incoming students to the number dollars they can earn by choking supply. Which is why you need wildly high undergraduate GPA to get into medical school.

Yes, but Medicare subsidies to hospitals also play a role.  
How would you go about getting more students enrolled in medical school? How would you defy the will of the AMA?

(02-11-2020, 10:31 AM)mikesez Wrote: There's no need to build a wall. (Well I'd agree here if we could get local governments to stop being sanctuary cities, allowed ICE to do their jobs, and could get Congress to pass real immigration reform, also in another post you claim illegals can not get welfare benefits and that is just not true. There are ways of getting a fake, unused, or dead person's SSN and claiming benefits which isn't properly checked by the state and federal government. My work has employed illegals before, they get fake paperwork and slide through the system, gaining 100% of their taxes back in returns, thus paying out almost no taxes while many of them, especially those with children get food stamp and/or WIC assistance and most of them with children also getting medicaid. The majority of illegals I've met aren't buying homes, they are renting apartments, trailers, or houses usually under the assistance of an American getting some sort of payment, and they house up a bunch of them together and send the majority of their money back to Honduras, Mexico, and El Salvador. You believe that many illegals are here to try to make a better life for themselves here, but that isn't true, they are trying to give a better life to those they left back at home or at best they are trying to have anchor babies who are automatically citizens. And no matter how you slice it, illegal is illegal, no matter the intent. And it is a problem that people like you won't admit to. They DO get welfare, they do take jobs, depress wages, and don't add to tax revenue for the country. It's too easy to get a SSN, ID, DL, and somehow even get past the I-9/E-verify system checks.)
We could be spending a lot less on new ships. (Hmm.. agree.)
We could be spending a lot less on foreign aid. (Definitely behind you here, we spend way too much in foreign aid to way too many countries, personally I say cut it all, world building shouldn't be our thing)
We could roll back purchases of the F35, because we know it will never do all it was promised to do. (This point could be made with the one on new ships, we just don't need to spend so much militarily, there is no threat to the US that deems it necessary)
We could have Medicare demand lower prescription drug prices, and lower prices for hardware like joint replacements.  The UK recently got like. 75% discount on joint replacements from a company that makes them here. (Or we could get Medicare to stop doling out improper amounts - from the article: Medicare & Medicaid improperly paid $85 billion in benefits with over-payments amounting to $67 billion. Administered by HHS, Medicaid admits to overpaying recipients $36 billion. Medicare admits to $31 billion in over-payments.)
We could be making it easier to transition off of SSI disability and into part time work. (How?)
We could be making states with high section 8 costs actually build more modestly sized housing as a condition of continuing to get a high level of funds. (Or we could get rid of Section 8)
We could be demanding that teaching hospitals hire more residents, rather than less. (You can not demand that people hire x amount of people)