Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump's Budget to Attack Spending

(02-12-2020, 10:53 AM)mikesez Wrote: Yes, but Medicare subsidies to hospitals also play a role.  
How would you go about getting more students enrolled in medical school? How would you defy the will of the AMA?

The same way you bust any other union: expand supply and reduce regulation.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-12-2020, 08:22 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 11:02 PM)p_rushing Wrote:  Plus you increase wages if you stop H1Bs, punish companies for hiring illegals, and save tons of money when the illegals can't work and leave freeing up social services money.

H1B visas are the one type that Republicans proposed leaving alone. 
Democrat politicians never met a visa they didn't like. Republican politicians take a dimmer view, but they love the H1B.
You're correct that the H1B depresses wages and probably lowers tax receipts.
Illegal immigration also depresses wages. But the illegals themselves are not a burden on the federal budget because they cannot claim any benefits. The H1B recipients also claim very few benefits.
The one good thing is that the typical illegal immigrant wants to spend the rest of their life in this country. They will try to buy a home. They will raise their kids here. The typical H1B recipient tries to save as much of his salary as possible to take it back to his home country.  So in my opinion H1B visas depressed the local economy even more than illegal immigration.

H1Bs are very similar to illegal immigrants, they are just legal. I know republicans want them and I still disagree with it. They buy products, apartments, etc, they can just do it legally. Both try to save money and both want to send as much money home as possible. There are some who both would like to stay in the US, but most would leave if given the option that their home country provides the same options. H1Bs are also basically slaves. When they come over, they cannot leave their company or they have to start all over. If they end up without a project/job, they have limited time to find one or they are then here illegally.

Every illegal burdens the social services because you can get services without IDs.

I just read a story about Guatemalan "house envy" fuelling the migration to the US border. Most Guatemalans live in rudimentary housing and earn only a few thousand bucks a year if they are lucky. Now imagine your neighbor sends 2 of his kids to America. The neighbor starts receiving remittance checks from their kids working illegally in the USA. $2000 a month! The neighbor builds a tall, strong concrete block house with 8 bedrooms. He lives like a king and no longer has to work menial jobs. There is a strong desire to do the same thing, send your relatives to USA so you can live well in Guatemala. So basically a whole generation of young people are pressured to come here illegally. As long as they can live tax-free while burdening all public services, they will continue to come.

(02-12-2020, 08:22 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 11:02 PM)p_rushing Wrote:  Plus you increase wages if you stop H1Bs, punish companies for hiring illegals, and save tons of money when the illegals can't work and leave freeing up social services money.

H1B visas are the one type that Republicans proposed leaving alone. 
Democrat politicians never met a visa they didn't like. Republican politicians take a dimmer view, but they love the H1B.
Illegal immigration also depresses wages. But the illegals themselves are not a burden on the federal budget because they cannot claim any benefits. The H1B recipients also claim very few benefits.
The one good thing is that the typical illegal immigrant wants to spend the rest of their life in this country. They will try to buy a home. They will raise their kids here. The typical H1B recipient tries to save as much of his salary as possible to take it back to his home country.  So in my opinion H1B visas depressed the local economy even more than illegal immigration.

Wrong!

Welfare by immigrants

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-12-2020, 07:47 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:22 AM)mikesez Wrote: H1B visas are the one type that Republicans proposed leaving alone. 

Wrong!

Welfare by immigrants

Read your own article.
Your article says legal immigrants become burdens because they lack education.  Fair enough, but I was only talking about H1B legal immigrants - who are highly educated and not burdens.
Then your article says that illegal immigrants primarily draw welfare through their US-born children getting food stamps and Medicaid.  That's regrettable, but again, I am aware of this and the phrase I wrote accounted for it.  The illegal immigrants *themselves* do not draw welfare.  Some of their kids might.  
There are plenty of places to cut before we think about taking food and medical care away from innocent children who were born on US soil.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020, 10:34 PM by mikesez.)

(02-12-2020, 12:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 10:31 AM)mikesez Wrote: There's no need to build a wall. (Well I'd agree here if we could get local governments to stop being sanctuary cities, allowed ICE to do their jobs, and could get Congress to pass real immigration reform, also in another post you claim illegals can not get welfare benefits and that is just not true. There are ways of getting a fake, unused, or dead person's SSN and claiming benefits which isn't properly checked by the state and federal government. My work has employed illegals before, they get fake paperwork and slide through the system, gaining 100% of their taxes back in returns, thus paying out almost no taxes while many of them, especially those with children get food stamp and/or WIC assistance and most of them with children also getting medicaid. The majority of illegals I've met aren't buying homes, they are renting apartments, trailers, or houses usually under the assistance of an American getting some sort of payment, and they house up a bunch of them together and send the majority of their money back to Honduras, Mexico, and El Salvador. You believe that many illegals are here to try to make a better life for themselves here, but that isn't true, they are trying to give a better life to those they left back at home or at best they are trying to have anchor babies who are automatically citizens. And no matter how you slice it, illegal is illegal, no matter the intent. And it is a problem that people like you won't admit to. They DO get welfare, they do take jobs, depress wages, and don't add to tax revenue for the country. It's too easy to get a SSN, ID, DL, and somehow even get past the I-9/E-verify system checks.)
We could be spending a lot less on new ships. (Hmm.. agree.)
We could be spending a lot less on foreign aid. (Definitely behind you here, we spend way too much in foreign aid to way too many countries, personally I say cut it all, world building shouldn't be our thing)
We could roll back purchases of the F35, because we know it will never do all it was promised to do. (This point could be made with the one on new ships, we just don't need to spend so much militarily, there is no threat to the US that deems it necessary)
We could have Medicare demand lower prescription drug prices, and lower prices for hardware like joint replacements.  The UK recently got like. 75% discount on joint replacements from a company that makes them here. (Or we could get Medicare to stop doling out improper amounts - from the article: Medicare & Medicaid improperly paid $85 billion in benefits with over-payments amounting to $67 billion. Administered by HHS, Medicaid admits to overpaying recipients $36 billion. Medicare admits to $31 billion in over-payments.)
We could be making it easier to transition off of SSI disability and into part time work. (How?)
We could be making states with high section 8 costs actually build more modestly sized housing as a condition of continuing to get a high level of funds. (Or we could get rid of Section 8)
We could be demanding that teaching hospitals hire more residents, rather than less. (You can not demand that people hire x amount of people)

So many ways we could put long term spending on a more sustainable path.  Use welfare spending to boost the supply of things, rather than just the demand for them.

1) regardless, a wall fixes none of the problems you mentioned, and actually makes the border more difficult to patrol in some cases.

2) agree, overpayments are inevitable, but I think with more effort they could be reduced.  But we need Medicare bargaining for better prices too.

3) social security disability is an "all or nothing" system.  It can take years of doctor's appointments to document that you have a disability that prevents you from having a job, and you can lose it completely and forever if they ever find out you got any kind of job. It should be more incentivized for your disability status to change from full to partial if you ever improve yourself a bit and find a little work.

4) section 8 is a really small piece of the pie compared to defense, Medicare, and social security. 

5) the medical schools rely on Federal loans to their students, and the teaching hospitals rely on Medicare.  States (with their licensing boards) rely on the feds for medicaid..  If Congress wanted to, it would be very simple to take money away from schools and hospitals and states that refuse to train and license more doctors, and give it and more to those that do not refuse. I'm not saying that the Feds should be so involved in funding medical care, but they are already. They should leverage this to get medical prices down not just for themselves but for all of us.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2020, 07:31 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-12-2020, 01:23 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:22 AM)mikesez Wrote: H1B visas are the one type that Republicans proposed leaving alone. 

H1Bs are very similar to illegal immigrants, they are just legal. I know republicans want them and I still disagree with it. They buy products, apartments, etc, they can just do it legally. Both try to save money and both want to send as much money home as possible. There are some who both would like to stay in the US, but most would leave if given the option that their home country provides the same options. H1Bs are also basically slaves. When they come over, they cannot leave their company or they have to start all over. If they end up without a project/job, they have limited time to find one or they are then here illegally.

Every illegal burdens the social services because you can get services without IDs.

I disagree with both of you about H1B visas.  As someone who has worked in a software startup, bringing it all the way to a successful, established company, we had the hardest time finding quality software developers.  There was so much competition from the larger, more established companies, that we literally could not find enough of them without importing them from overseas.  

As I recall, back around 1995, there were just around 64,000 H1B visas available each year, starting on April 1.  Now there are around 200,000.  These are only available to highly educated people who have jobs waiting for them in the US.  There was a window each year that started on April 1. When we started out, we could get an H1B visa for an employee pretty easily.  Within a few years, however, the window would open at 12:01 AM April 1, and within minutes, all the H1B visas would be taken.  We were completely shut out.  

This impacts our competitiveness as an economy.  Our inability to import quality software developers has a negative impact on our technological competitiveness, and it hurts the kind of small startups that help make the US the greatest economy in the world.

Also, sometimes people come over here and get a great education, but because they are not allowed to stay, they have to take that education back to their home country.  It would be so much better if we would let them use that education in this country.

The list of geniuses who have come to this country and made a huge impact is miles long.  A few that you might recognize are Alexander Hamilton, Andrew Carnegie, Albert Einstein, Rupert Murdoch, Eddie Van Halen, Shad Khan, and there are thousands more that you would not know but have made huge contributions to this country in fields such as business, science, and entertainment.  It's what has made this country great.  Shut the doors, and we're just another country.  A lot of people are afraid of competition ("they depress wages!") but the fact is WEALTH IS CREATED.  IT IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME, where if one person makes a dollar more, you make a dollar less.  These people are VALUABLE.  We have to let them in if we want to remain great.

(02-12-2020, 10:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: 5) the medical schools rely on Federal loans to their students, and the teaching hospitals rely on Medicare.  States (with their licensing boards) rely on the feds for medicaid..  If Congress wanted to, it would be very simple to take money away from schools and hospitals and states that refuse to train and license more doctors, and give it and more to those that do not refuse. I'm not saying that the Feds should be so involved in funding medical care, but they are already.  They should leverage this to get medical prices down not just for themselves but for all of us.

I’m not sure what you think this would do. Teaching hospitals are simple for doctors to get into. Many don’t directly hire the doctors anyway; the hire a company that has doctors on staff, and the hospital simply extends privileges to them. 

There’s already a minimum requirement that doctors and nurses must meet. Lowering that requirement would lower the quality of service and increase liability in malpractice. More doctors also mean that your bill will be higher. Your bill isn’t only paying for the one doctor you see. The hospital still has to cover the costs of being forced to hire more doctors than it needs. 

There are ways to lower medical costs but hiring more doctors is not one of them.

(02-13-2020, 12:09 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 10:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: 5) the medical schools rely on Federal loans to their students, and the teaching hospitals rely on Medicare.  States (with their licensing boards) rely on the feds for medicaid..  If Congress wanted to, it would be very simple to take money away from schools and hospitals and states that refuse to train and license more doctors, and give it and more to those that do not refuse. I'm not saying that the Feds should be so involved in funding medical care, but they are already.  They should leverage this to get medical prices down not just for themselves but for all of us.

I’m not sure what you think this would do. Teaching hospitals are simple for doctors to get into. Many don’t directly hire the doctors anyway; the hire a company that has doctors on staff, and the hospital simply extends privileges to them. 

There’s already a minimum requirement that doctors and nurses must meet. Lowering that requirement would lower the quality of service and increase liability in malpractice. More doctors also mean that your bill will be higher. Your bill isn’t only paying for the one doctor you see. The hospital still has to cover the costs of being forced to hire more doctors than it needs. 

There are ways to lower medical costs but hiring more doctors is not one of them.

I mean the teaching hospitals should take on more residents, fresh out of med school.  I'm under the impression that teaching hospitals hire residents directly. Whoever hires them, should be incentivized to hire more.  
More residents become more licensed doctors.
More licensed doctors means more supply. 
More supply for the same demand means lower unit cost

(02-13-2020, 12:09 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

You sound like you work for the AMA...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2020, 03:38 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(02-13-2020, 12:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 12:09 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I’m not sure what you think this would do. Teaching hospitals are simple for doctors to get into. Many don’t directly hire the doctors anyway; the hire a company that has doctors on staff, and the hospital simply extends privileges to them. 

I mean the teaching hospitals should take on more residents, fresh out of med school.  I'm under the impression that teaching hospitals hire residents directly. Whoever hires them, should be incentivized to hire more.  

The costs of doctors isn’t the problem with medical costs. It’s the testing, exams, equipment, and medicines that cost so much. We don’t have a doctor shortage problem. The problem is doctors feel obligated to subject everyone to a barrage of testing so that they’re not sued. 

Lowering the standard for qualified doctors doesn’t mean there’s more supply. There is no way to increase the supply of doctors without lowering the quality of doctor. People would still seek out the better doctor when the bad one can’t fix it.

(02-13-2020, 03:35 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 12:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: I mean the teaching hospitals should take on more residents, fresh out of med school.  I'm under the impression that teaching hospitals hire residents directly. Whoever hires them, should be incentivized to hire more.  

The costs of doctors isn’t the problem with medical costs. It’s the testing, exams, equipment, and medicines that cost so much. We don’t have a doctor shortage problem. The problem is doctors feel obligated to subject everyone to a barrage of testing so that they’re not sued. 

Lowering the standard for qualified doctors doesn’t mean there’s more supply.  There is no way to increase the supply of doctors without lowering the quality of doctor. People would still seek out the better doctor when the bad one can’t fix it.

Your thoughts on this topic are misguided, 1,000 spots in medical school or a residency program doesn't mean that there are only 1,000 qualified candidates. It means that qualified candidates cannot gain a spot in the program.

Here's a nice white paper on the topic if you're interested.

http://newcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/...or-Gap.pdf

(02-13-2020, 07:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:23 PM)p_rushing Wrote: H1Bs are very similar to illegal immigrants, they are just legal. I know republicans want them and I still disagree with it. They buy products, apartments, etc, they can just do it legally. Both try to save money and both want to send as much money home as possible. There are some who both would like to stay in the US, but most would leave if given the option that their home country provides the same options. H1Bs are also basically slaves. When they come over, they cannot leave their company or they have to start all over. If they end up without a project/job, they have limited time to find one or they are then here illegally.

I disagree with both of you about H1B visas.  As someone who has worked in a software startup, bringing it all the way to a successful, established company, we had the hardest time finding quality software developers.  There was so much competition from the larger, more established companies, that we literally could not find enough of them without importing them from overseas.  

As I recall, back around 1995, there were just around 64,000 H1B visas available each year, starting on April 1.  Now there are around 200,000.  These are only available to highly educated people who have jobs waiting for them in the US.  There was a window each year that started on April 1. When we started out, we could get an H1B visa for an employee pretty easily.  Within a few years, however, the window would open at 12:01 AM April 1, and within minutes, all the H1B visas would be taken.  We were completely shut out.  

This impacts our competitiveness as an economy.  Our inability to import quality software developers has a negative impact on our technological competitiveness, and it hurts the kind of small startups that help make the US the greatest economy in the world.

Also, sometimes people come over here and get a great education, but because they are not allowed to stay, they have to take that education back to their home country.  It would be so much better if we would let them use that education in this country.

The list of geniuses who have come to this country and made a huge impact is miles long.  A few that you might recognize are Alexander Hamilton, Andrew Carnegie, Albert Einstein, Rupert Murdoch, Eddie Van Halen, Shad Khan, and there are thousands more that you would not know but have made huge contributions to this country in fields such as business, science, and entertainment.  It's what has made this country great.  Shut the doors, and we're just another country.  A lot of people are afraid of competition ("they depress wages!") but the fact is WEALTH IS CREATED.  IT IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME, where if one person makes a dollar more, you make a dollar less.  These people are VALUABLE.  We have to let them in if we want to remain great.

H1Bs are no longer well educated. If you had trouble finding people, you didn't want to pay for it. You wanted to pay for less skilled developers from another country. You could have always just offshored it if you needed the resources. They are coming from the exact same talent pool.

The idea of H1B was to get smart people who had skills that were needed. Now developers in the US want more money and companies don't want to pay for them. It is now creating a shortfall of developers as college grads don't want to be a developer because the pay is low and the constant competition from low wage resources.

(02-13-2020, 12:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: I mean the teaching hospitals should take on more residents, fresh out of med school.  I'm under the impression that teaching hospitals hire residents directly. Whoever hires them, should be incentivized to hire more.  

Lowering the standard for qualified doctors doesn’t mean there’s more supply.  There is no way to increase the supply of doctors without lowering the quality of doctor. People would still seek out the better doctor when the bad one can’t fix it.

I knew a guy who was very high up in Florida hospital, which had like 25 locations. He told me that in spite of the fact that they were encouraging their doctors to form independent organizations that would bill patients and insurance directly, the hospital's expenses were still mostly doctors' salaries and nurses' salaries. He said the mortgage, utilities, consumables, and equipment financing were a much smaller portion.

What is really unfair about this is, although all doctors and many nurses get a very generous hourly wage, most of them work more hours than they would like. The shortages are hurting their quality of life too, they just can't see it.

(02-13-2020, 07:48 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 03:35 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: The costs of doctors isn’t the problem with medical costs. It’s the testing, exams, equipment, and medicines that cost so much. We don’t have a doctor shortage problem. The problem is doctors feel obligated to subject everyone to a barrage of testing so that they’re not sued. 

I knew a guy who was very high up in Florida hospital, which had like 25 locations. He told me that in spite of the fact that they were encouraging their doctors to form independent organizations that would bill patients and insurance directly, the hospital's expenses were still mostly doctors' salaries and nurses' salaries. He said the mortgage, utilities, consumables, and equipment financing were a much smaller portion.

What is really unfair about this is, although all doctors and many nurses get a very generous hourly wage, most of them work more hours than they would like. The shortages are hurting their quality of life too, they just can't see it.
Ok, haven’t read the whole thread but, I run a piddly lawn business. The vast majority of what I pay out is salary as well.  I’ll pay out 70-90k on that.  But I can gas up the equipment and store it for less than 8k.  Other than that, not much to spend.  The workers will always get the vast majority of the what’s spent.  

Im not sure how much this helps.  I just assume you’re probably wrong and adding my 2 cents.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2020, 09:41 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-11-2020, 10:31 AM)mikesez Wrote: There's no need to build a wall.
We could be spending a lot less on new ships.
We could be spending a lot less on foreign aid.
We could roll back purchases of the F35, because we know it will never do all it was promised to do.
We could have Medicare demand lower prescription drug prices, and lower prices for hardware like joint replacements.  The UK recently got like. 75% discount on joint replacements from a company that makes them here.
We could be making it easier to transition off of SSI disability and into part time work.
We could be making states with high section 8 costs actually build more modestly sized housing as a condition of continuing to get a high level of funds.
We could be demanding that teaching hospitals hire more residents, rather than less.

So many ways we could put long term spending on a more sustainable path.  Use welfare spending to boost the supply of things, rather than just the demand for them.

Medicare enrollees have so much less choice in Meds already. You might as well make the only meds available to Medicare recipients the $4 list at Walmart cause that’s basically what it will be if they try to ‘negotiate down’ prices.

(02-12-2020, 08:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
We could roll back purchases of the F35, because we know it will never do all it was promised to do.
We could have Medicare demand lower prescription drug prices, and lower prices for hardware like joint replacements.  The UK recently got like. 75% discount on joint replacements from a company that makes them here.
We could be making it easier to transition off of SSI disability and into part time work.
We could be making states with high section 8 costs actually build more modestly sized housing as a condition of continuing to get a high level of funds.
We could be demanding that teaching hospitals hire more residents, rather than less.

Is there some great untapped supply of medical school graduates out there looking for a residency? Do tell, I'm hiring.
There are over 10000 more docs applying for residency than there are spots right now. Almost all the extra docs are foreign tho.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-12-2020, 10:53 AM)mikesez Wrote: Yes, but Medicare subsidies to hospitals also play a role.  
How would you go about getting more students enrolled in medical school? How would you defy the will of the AMA?

Medical schools have expanded greatly over the last 20 years, especially on the DO side (MD too but less). It’s is projected that we will have more US grads than residency spots by 2027.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Correct, doctors represent a 6-8% share of healthcare cost vs admin making up half. Doctors as a portion of medical cost is actually half of what it was in the 60’s.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2020, 09:55 PM by mikesez.)

(02-13-2020, 09:43 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:

Medical schools have expanded greatly over the last 20 years, especially on the DO side (MD too but less). It’s is projected that we will have more US grads than residency spots by 2027.

Sounds like we need more residency spots...
Let's keep the heat on on the med school side too!
I bet UNF could support a program...

(02-13-2020, 08:28 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 07:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: I knew a guy who was very high up in Florida hospital, which had like 25 locations. He told me that in spite of the fact that they were encouraging their doctors to form independent organizations that would bill patients and insurance directly, the hospital's expenses were still mostly doctors' salaries and nurses' salaries. He said the mortgage, utilities, consumables, and equipment financing were a much smaller portion.

Ok, haven’t read the whole thread but, I run a piddly lawn business. The vast majority of what I pay out is salary as well.  I’ll pay out 70-90k on that.  But I can gas up the equipment and store it for less than 8k.  Other than that, not much to spend.  The workers will always get the vast majority of the what’s spent.  

Im not sure how much this helps.  I just assume you’re probably wrong and adding my 2 cents.

"My own experience is very similar to yours, the math is about the same. I still assume you're wrong though."

(02-13-2020, 09:37 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:

Medicare enrollees have so much less choice in Meds already. You might as well make the only meds available to Medicare recipients the $4 list at Walmart cause that’s basically what it will be if they try to ‘negotiate down’ prices.

(02-12-2020, 08:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Is there some great untapped supply of medical school graduates out there looking for a residency? Do tell, I'm hiring.
There are over 10000 more docs applying for residency than there are spots right now. Almost all the extra docs are foreign tho.

Hence my point about the American Medical Association chiming domestic supply.