Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I really hope Josh Oliver is the TE we need

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020, 02:25 AM by JagFanatic24.)

I just went back and watched the Super Bowl, and it featured 2 of the games best Tight Ends. With Gronkowski retiring, Kelce and Kittle, in my opinion, the best Tight Ends in football.

You could make an argument for either one, but it’s funny that the 2 teams with elite TE’s were in the Super Bowl.

Oliver was rated the 4th best TE in the country coming out of college, and I think he’s a natural athlete unlike Mercedes Lewis. If they don’t think Oliver is that guy, then we either got to draft a TE for the next 8 to 10 years or forget one in free agency. Man what I would give up to have a Travis Kelce or a George Kittle.

Just wanted to add, I really hope we find a way to land Austin Hooper from Atlanta.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Oliver may end up being this season's version of D.J Chark for us. He was hampered with that hamstring injury. Gruden's offensive style does incorporate the TE position in his passing game. He unfortunately had to deal with players that couldn't stay healthy between Eifert and Reed.

I like Oliver though. Liked him early during the draft process last year. Said he was somebody they would take a look at and end up drafting. Didn't think he would be a 3rd RD pick though. But they thought highly of him. I also really, really like Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic. He has that open field ability like George Kittle and Travis Kelce. I also like Adam Trautman out of Dayton. And Noah Togiai out of Oregon St.

Those three guys should all test relatively well between the combine and team workout's. I would keep an eye out for them between RD3 - RD6. Should have a good mix at this position this season with Oliver * O'Shaughnessy. Hooper from ATL would be a nice pick-up if they can afford him and entice him to come down here.

But any of those three guys between Bryant, Trautman & Togiai I feel will offer the most value during the draft. Especially for us.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

He's the tight end Jacksonville deserves, but not the one we need.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020, 05:44 PM by JagFanatic24.)

I just read the Jags TE combined for 1 TD in 2018. Wow. In 2019 I remember O’Shauggnessy scoring up in Denver when Minshew triple pump faked and hit him down the middle.

Anybody remember any other Tight End TDs in 2019? I think DeValve had 1 but not sure.

3 TE TD in 2 seasons tho?

@Caldrac- I liked Oliver coming out as well. I hope he uses all of the offseason getting stronger up top so he can push those DEs around. He’s solid everywhere else.

I hate to use this analogy but his madden ratings would be like...
Speed - 75
Agi- 73
Cat-83
Acc-72
Awr-63
Strength-40
Inj-50

I’m basically excited for all of our skill players because of the Gruden factor.

I think him and Minshew is a match made in heaven.

(02-09-2020, 05:43 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I just read the Jags TE combined for 1 TD in 2018. Wow. In 2019 I remember O’Shauggnessy scoring up in Denver when Minshew triple pump faked and hit him down the middle.

Anybody remember any other Tight End TDs in 2019? I think DeValve had 1 but not sure.

3 TE TD in 2 seasons tho?

@Caldrac- I liked Oliver coming out as well. I hope he uses all of the offseason getting stronger up top so he can push those DEs around. He’s solid everywhere else.

I hate to use this analogy but his madden ratings would be like...
Speed - 75
Agi- 73
Cat-83
Acc-72
Awr-63
Strength-40
Inj-50

I’m basically excited for all of our skill players because of the Gruden factor.

I think him and Minshew is a match made in heaven.

Madden overdoes the speed on TEs. It has ever since Antonio Gates blew up. It would probably put a TE his size who ran 4.6-ish in the mid-80's.

Get Cole Kmet at 20. He will make all the difference in the world. Will make the QBs and Fournette both more effective.

(02-09-2020, 07:02 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Get Cole Kmet at 20. He will make all the difference in the world.  Will make the QBs and Fournette both more effective.

No thanks to drafting TEs in round 1. They rarely develop very fast. Take a flyer on a one in the mid rounds, cut/swap out Swaim for another vet signing, and pray that O'Shag and Oliver can stay healthy. The most pressing need on offense is the line. Get that straight and all of a sudden the skill players will start to shine more.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

It's no surprise that the 2 Super Bowl teams have the top 2 TEs in the league. We have never gotten any respect from defenses at tight end. Ever. It's about time we get the top one in this draft. Cole is both a good receiver and blocker. to be effective, you must be both. He is almost 6'6 and 260lbs. This would immeasureably help the QB, RB and WRs.

Just sign Henry and be done with it.

(02-09-2020, 08:06 PM)burt1jason Wrote: It's no surprise that the 2 Super Bowl teams have the top 2 TEs in the league. We have never gotten any respect from defenses at tight end. Ever. It's about time we get the top one in this draft. Cole is both a good receiver and blocker. to be effective, you must be both. He is almost 6'6 and 260lbs. This would immeasureably help the QB, RB and WRs.

Good God, and you guys thought Taven Bryan was a project.

(02-09-2020, 08:06 PM)burt1jason Wrote: It's no surprise that the 2 Super Bowl teams have the top 2 TEs in the league. We have never gotten any respect from defenses at tight end. Ever. It's about time we get the top one in this draft. Cole is both a good receiver and blocker. to be effective, you must be both. He is almost 6'6 and 260lbs. This would immeasureably help the QB, RB and WRs.

And you do realize that both of those TEs came after the 1st round right?

Travis Kelce was drafted in the 3rd round and George Kittle was drafted in the 5th round......

I was very optimistic about Chark going into the past season. He was just held down by atrocious QB play and all he needed to do was work on route running, he had the rest. Also, I remember Caldwell being extremely high on him when he spoke about Chark post draft, even saying he almost took him round 1 just to make sure they got him.

I do not share that same optimism for Oliver. Mostly because I’ve seen absolutely nothing from him. Didn’t watch any of him in college and he barely played this past season. I am just hoping he turns into a decent receiving threat, Minshew needs weapons. Would be nice to have a damn good TE for once.

TE is the new RB.

No reason to draft one in the first round when you can find studs in round 3.

None of the draft's TEs really excite me as a quick impact type of player. Generally, they all seem like round 3-4 prospects or later to me.

We also added Nick O'Leary late last season. I liked him at FSU, hope he can stick.

#Championship
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

They need to draft 1 after round 3-4. I also want them to sign Levine Toilolo. Pure blocking TE, but haven’t had an above average one in awhile.

(02-10-2020, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: TE is the new RB.

(02-10-2020, 03:58 PM)ATLjag Wrote: None of the draft's TEs really excite me as a quick impact type of player.  Generally, they all seem like round 3-4 prospects or later to me.

Agreed. Which is why they should be looking at Harrison Bryant & Adam Trautman as potential late round gems. Can't wait for the combine.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-10-2020, 04:47 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: We also added Nick O'Leary late last season. I liked him at FSU, hope he can stick.

#Championship

Sadly he's too slow and too small to really be much in the NFL.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Oliver should have been immediately placed on IR until later in the season, but they kept trotting him out and aggravating an injury which takes months to heal.

If he injures his hammy again, get rid of him. He’s permanently hobbled. Hamstring injuries can be stubbornly chronic.

(02-10-2020, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: TE is the new RB.

Wait wait wait.  Since when has TE ever been a position where u draft one in the 1st.  I have only been watching football since the late 80's/early 90's but this is the first i've ever heard of this.  I can agree with RB being the new TE since you can wait but when has that ever been the other way around.  Better yet, what year were TE's considered 1st rounders ever.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.