Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trevor Lawrence Thread

(04-07-2021, 09:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 08:16 AM)Upper Wrote: I mean, if Watson plays for the Texans he has to be number one now and long term. Just playing the odds, Watson is (was) the #2 asset in the entire league and while Lawrence could top that it's probably unlikely. But there's also a decent chance that Watson doesn't play another snap in the league, and if he does it almost certainly won't be with the Texans.

I considered that, but gave the edge to TL long term because he's younger and the pre-draft evaluation of him as a generational prospect (where Watson did not receive that sort of praise). 

Of course given Watson's accomplishments, you could easily make the credible argument that the difference in age between Watson and Lawrence is not enough to diminish the long term potential for Watson.

(04-07-2021, 09:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont think he would go before Herbert, Lawrwnce, Allen, Mahomes, or probably Burrow.  He damn sure ain't better than Brady or Rodgers either lol.

Herbert and Allen have only done it for a year.  Both appear to have very bright futures (especially Allen because Buffalo has done such a great job putting pieces around him).  Brady and Rodgers are both great QBs, but age has to be a consideration.  There was a stretch in last year's playoffs that Brady did not play well at all (notably vs. Green Bay), and Rodgers is openly hinting retirement to host Jeopardy.

Are you looking at what the QBs have done or what they will do?  If I'm looking to take a QB I want the one who I feel will be the best going foward, which I would take all the above. If it just for 1 year give me Brady all day.  Watson has had a great team around him outside of last year and he never done nothing with it, pretty much choked every year in the playoffs with arguably the best WR and a top defense.  Last year he put up some good numbers but a lot were during garbage time.  Lol at the Brady comment, he was the best QB in the league the last half of the season and had 3 TDs and almost 300 yards in that 1 game as well and a big reason why they won

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-07-2021, 11:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 09:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I considered that, but gave the edge to TL long term because he's younger and the pre-draft evaluation of him as a generational prospect (where Watson did not receive that sort of praise). 

Of course given Watson's accomplishments, you could easily make the credible argument that the difference in age between Watson and Lawrence is not enough to diminish the long term potential for Watson.

Herbert and Allen have only done it for a year.  Both appear to have very bright futures (especially Allen because Buffalo has done such a great job putting pieces around him).  Brady and Rodgers are both great QBs, but age has to be a consideration.  There was a stretch in last year's playoffs that Brady did not play well at all (notably vs. Green Bay), and Rodgers is openly hinting retirement to host Jeopardy.

Are you looking at what the QBs have done or what they will do?  If I'm looking to take a QB I want the one who I feel will be the best going foward, which I would take all the above. If it just for 1 year give me Brady all day.  Watson has had a great team around him outside of last year and he never done nothing with it, pretty much choked every year in the playoffs with arguably the best WR and a top defense.  Last year he put up some good numbers but a lot were during garbage time.  Lol at the Brady comment, he was the best QB in the league the last half of the season and had 3 TDs and almost 300 yards in that 1 game as well and a big reason why they won
(Emphasis added)

In part, I was looking at going forward, as indicated by the long term potential category.

Brady threw three INTs in that game, including on back to back possessions in the second half when they were trying to put the game away.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-07-2021, 11:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 11:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Are you looking at what the QBs have done or what they will do?  If I'm looking to take a QB I want the one who I feel will be the best going foward, which I would take all the above. If it just for 1 year give me Brady all day.  Watson has had a great team around him outside of last year and he never done nothing with it, pretty much choked every year in the playoffs with arguably the best WR and a top defense.  Last year he put up some good numbers but a lot were during garbage time.  Lol at the Brady comment, he was the best QB in the league the last half of the season and had 3 TDs and almost 300 yards in that 1 game as well and a big reason why they won
(Emphasis added)

In part, I was looking at going forward, as indicated by the long term potential category.

Brady threw three INTs in that game, including on back to back possessions in the second half when they were trying to put the game away.
Yeah I watched the game.  Did you see the 3 TDs he made as well?  Like the one right before the half?  Brady had a game like that and went on the win his 7th SB.  Give me a 43 year old Brady any day of the week. He closed the season on a 20 TD 0 Int run and was the best deep ball thrower in the league.

(04-07-2021, 12:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 11:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote: (Emphasis added)

Yeah I watched the game.  Did you see the 3 TDs he made as well?  Like the one right before the half?  Brady had a game like that and went on the win his 7th SB.  Give me a 43 year old Brady any day of the week. He closed the season on a 20 TD 0 Int run and was the best deep ball thrower in the league.

You aren't going to get me to argue against Brady very much.

Brady is the GOAT and had an outstanding year last year.

His TD right before halftime was HUGE.  I don't know what the hell the Packers were trying coverage wise, but that CB had one of the worst games I have ever seen in my life.  That play epitomized just how bad it got for him.  Brady certainly deserves credit for seeing the vulnerable CB and getting the ball to the receiver to exploit him.  Many teams with a lesser QB wouldn't have even tried.  I don't remember who the CB was on that play, but he didn't need to be out there.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 12:40 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-07-2021, 12:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 12:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yeah I watched the game.  Did you see the 3 TDs he made as well?  Like the one right before the half?  Brady had a game like that and went on the win his 7th SB.  Give me a 43 year old Brady any day of the week. He closed the season on a 20 TD 0 Int run and was the best deep ball thrower in the league.

You aren't going to get me to argue against Brady very much.

His TD right before halftime was HUGE.  I don't know what the hell the Packers were trying coverage wise, but that CB had one of the worst games I have ever seen in my life.  That play epitomized just how bad it got for him.  Brady certainly deserves credit for seeing the vulnerable CB and getting the ball to the receiver to exploit him.  Many teams with a lesser QB wouldn't have even tried.  I don't remember who the CB was on that play, but he didn't need to be out there.

Kevin King

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 12:47 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-07-2021, 12:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 12:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote: You aren't going to get me to argue against Brady very much.

Kevin King

Yes.

I have only seen 2-3 CBs in my life have a worse game than Kevin King did in last year's NFC Championship.

1.  Early 1990s (1990 or 91), Jerry Rice beat Atlanta CB Charles Dimry for 5 TDs in a game.

2.  In the LSU-Clemson national title game, Clemson CB AJ Terrell was absolutely abused by LSU WR Jamar Chase.  He as beaten for 3 TDs and was taken off of him some time during the second half.   I felt bad for him...embarrassed.

3.  In 2013 or 14..in Champ Bailey's final season, Justin Blackmon absolutely abused him.  You hear about the pathetic final seasons and games by legendary QBs like Joe Namath and Dan Marino?  That game was the CB equivalent.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 01:01 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

DeVonte Smith vs Derek Stingy and DeVonte Smith vs Shaun Wade might be the 2 worst that I have seen. The 1 vs Wade was done in 1 half

(04-06-2021, 10:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Question #1:  Assuming Trevor Lawrence will be our pick at #1, and assuming the status quo is maintained at QB for the rest of the division, given that TL hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL, where would you rank him among the diviion's QBs?

Question #2:  How much, if at all, does your answer change if Deshaun Watson does not play another game for the Texans, and the Texans go with Tyrod Taylor?

Question 3:  How much does your answer change if you factor in his (TL's) long term potential...meaning if TL becomes what we think he can become?

On day one of the season: Tannehill/     Wentz/   Taylor/  TLaw

midseason: Tannehill/          Wentz/ TLaw/        Taylor

Season end: Tannehill /   TLaw/   Wentz/                 Taylor

Spacing indicative in the gap between each player and their ranking. Watson will likely not play voluntarily or due to league mandate depending on how legal matters unfold. He's already been in a standoff with management, so either the tinhorns get fleeced in a trade or he is outright released after a holdout.

By next season my expectation is that TLaw surpasses Tannehill, and I don't consder that a significant challenge to overcome.

In tonight's Path to the Draft on NFL Network, former GM Charley Casserly released the results of his annual survey of 23 GMs around the league.

In a first since he started doing these surveys, Trevor Lawrence is the unanimous choice as top QB in the draft. Never before had a QB been the unanimous choice as the best QB in a draft.

Zach Wilson wound up being the unanimous choice as the 2nd best QB in this draft.

Though I am assuming these surveys have some anonymity attached to them, part of me is given pause because GMs tend to blow smoke during this time of year.

Yet it is a survey, and if it is a true reflection of their thoughts going into this draft, I think it speaks well for Trevor Lawrence and our chances for short and long term improvement.

(04-07-2021, 06:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: In tonight's Path to the Draft on NFL Network, former GM Charley Casserly released the results of his annual survey of 23 GMs around the league.

In a first since he started doing these surveys, Trevor Lawrence is the unanimous choice as top QB in the draft.  Never before had a QB been the unanimous choice as the best QB in a draft.

Zach Wilson wound up being the unanimous choice as the 2nd best QB in this draft.

Though I am assuming these surveys have some anonymity attached to them, part of me is given pause because GMs tend to blow smoke during this time of year.

Yet it is a survey, and if it is a true reflection of their thoughts going into this draft, I think it speaks well for Trevor Lawrence and our chances for short and long term improvement.
It’s so surreal sometimes he’s actually ours haha

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 06:07 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-07-2021, 06:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: In tonight's Path to the Draft on NFL Network, former GM Charley Casserly released the results of his annual survey of 23 GMs around the league.

In a first since he started doing these surveys, Trevor Lawrence is the unanimous choice as top QB in the draft.  Never before had a QB been the unanimous choice as the best QB in a draft.

I think the "Zach Wilson should be the first overall pick" boomlet is dying out.  It was a popular topic for a while, but reason has prevailed.  Trevor Lawrence is the best prospect.  

Wilson has a great arm, and he can do Mahomes-like things with odd throwing angles, whatever that's worth, but he's had success for one year, after two years of total mediocrity, and he did it for that one year against very weak competition.  I think Justin Fields is a much safer pick than Wilson.  Fields has much more of a track record against much better competition.  Sure, Wilson can run to his left, and throw back across his body, sidearm if he wants, and that impresses everyone, but why do that in the first place?  

The one I really don't understand is the Mac Jones thing.  Sure, he had a great year, but he was surrounded with a ridiculously talented offense, and WRs who could always get open.  Plus, he doesn't have the escape-ability when the pocket breaks down.  Mac Jones to me looks like Kyle Trask on a better team.

Lawrence is skipping Indy.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1380...57320?s=21

(04-08-2021, 10:33 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Lawrence is skipping Indy.

I am liking him more and more. He is living his life on his terms.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

One thing I never really realized is just how young Trevor still is compared to other prospects. Only Trey Lance is younger than him which is incredible when you look at Trevors body of work.

Fine with me.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 12:41 PM by irontrooper83.)

(04-08-2021, 11:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

Fine with me.

Same.
I just want us to use the whole 10 minutes before sending the pick, make them all upset at us After years of going commercial when It was our turn to pick haha

(04-08-2021, 12:40 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 11:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Fine with me.

Same.
I just want us to use the whole 10 minutes before sending the pick, make them all upset at us After years of going commercial when It was our turn to pick haha

Laughing

I like the way you think.

Only thing is they'd likely go to commercial or find a way to interview someone else anyway.

(04-08-2021, 12:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 12:40 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Same.

Laughing

I like the way you think.

Only thing is they'd likely go to commercial or find a way to interview someone else anyway.

Yeah, Rich Eisen might even start with a Zach Wilson segment and it wouldnt surprise me lol.

(04-08-2021, 12:40 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 11:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Fine with me.

Same.

Instead of going to commercial it will be an additional 10 minutes talking about whether the JEST grab Wilson, and why it's such a smart move

Thankfully I will have beer and friends to banter with, no need to pay attention to anyone other than the commish announcing the picks.