Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

More quality journalism from Fox News.

Whenever I read Fox35 investigates, I throw up a little in my mouth.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I talked to a local doctor last night, and she said that hospitals in Jacksonville are running out of room to the extent that people who go to the emergency room are being sent home with oxygen tanks. She said nurses are working double shifts, then they get sick and can't work, and now there is a severe shortage of nurses in Jacksonville.

(07-19-2020, 04:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I talked to a local doctor last night, and she said that hospitals in Jacksonville are running out of room to the extent that people who go to the emergency room are being sent home with oxygen tanks.   She said nurses are working double shifts, then they get sick and can't work, and now there is a severe shortage of nurses in Jacksonville.

A nurse I know who works at Baptist tells me there are so few coronavirus cases that they've shut down the COVID wing they had established previously. 

But just fact checking this doctor's claims: Giving patients oxygen tanks to take home? Really? Not only does that sound wrong, but illegal. Honestly, this doctor tale sounds like complete and utter horse [BLEEP].

(07-19-2020, 10:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 04:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I talked to a local doctor last night, and she said that hospitals in Jacksonville are running out of room to the extent that people who go to the emergency room are being sent home with oxygen tanks.   She said nurses are working double shifts, then they get sick and can't work, and now there is a severe shortage of nurses in Jacksonville.

A nurse I know who works at Baptist tells me there are so few coronavirus cases that they've shut down the COVID wing they had established previously. 

But just fact checking this doctor's claims: Giving patients oxygen tanks to take home? Really? Not only does that sound wrong, but illegal. Honestly, this doctor tale sounds like complete and utter horse [BLEEP].

Those two reports are contradictory, for sure.  

But that’s what she told me last night.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/12848...54529?s=21

I don’t think he’s a real person.

Patients go home on O2 all the time, they have a DME company bring it to the ED before they discharge them. Hell, you've got companies advertising "personal oxygen concentrators" that Medicare will pay for. They are sending patients home with Covid because they aren't sick enough to admit them. The average inpatient stay continues to decline to < 3 days as of last week when previous weeks it was ~8 days. More and more cases are presenting with mild symptoms as the 95% mild to moderate case number continues to solidify. There's two components to the "nurse shortage": any healthcare worker who gets exposed (work or not work related) is required to self quarantines for two weeks. We also have nurses that are furloughed for lack of work and field hospitals on standby to open if the need arises for additional capacity.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-19-2020, 10:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/12848...54529?s=21

Can you give us an update on the "mounting death toll"?

Are you looking forward to Fort Sharpton? I bet you are.

(07-19-2020, 10:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 10:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:  A nurse I know who works at Baptist tells me there are so few coronavirus cases that they've shut down the COVID wing they had established previously. 

Patients go home on O2 all the time, they have a DME company bring it to the ED before they discharge them. Hell, you've got companies advertising "personal oxygen concentrators" that Medicare will pay for. They are sending patients home with Covid because they aren't sick enough to admit them. The average inpatient stay continues to decline to < 3 days as of last week when previous weeks it was ~8 days. More and more cases are presenting with mild symptoms as the 95% mild to moderate case number continues to solidify. There's two components to the "nurse shortage": any healthcare worker who gets exposed (work or not work related) is required to self quarantines for two weeks. We also have nurses that are furloughed for lack of work and field hospitals on standby to open if the need arises for additional capacity.

That just highlights my lack of understanding of medical equipment, but the scenario painted sounds like desperation so profound that it would result in bodies stacking up like cord wood and only Hollywood's greatest could save us. Not to mention that it also contrasts so sharply with what another healthcare professional says about another hospital in the same city.

(07-19-2020, 11:03 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 10:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/12848...54529?s=21

Can you give us an update on the "mounting death toll"?

I see you’re denying the fact that he sounds like a buffoon.

I’m not looking forward to anything. Trump sucks and Biden sucks.

(07-19-2020, 11:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 11:03 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Can you give us an update on the "mounting death toll"?

I see you’re denying the fact that he sounds like a buffoon.

Seriously, I am intrigued by your "mounting death toll" comment. Did you really mean "mounting infection toll"?

(07-19-2020, 11:11 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 11:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I see you’re denying the fact that he sounds like a buffoon.

Seriously, I am intrigued by your "mounting death toll" comment. Did you really mean "mounting infection toll"?
I never said “mounting death toll” so it’s not my comment.

I’m intrigued with your thoughts on “well  eventually I’ll be right” by Trump. Hoping something magically disappears usually works right?

I can't account for the difference in the scenario you heard and the one I heard.   It's possible I misunderstood what she was saying, of course.   We were social distancing and there were 4 people between us.   Apparently they are sending people home with oxygen tanks in Arizona:

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/15/21317776/c...-hospitals

“Sending people with Covid home with oxygen tanks because we don’t have the resources for them? This is something I’ve never done in my life before,” says Akhter of Valleywise Health. “This is crazy. And this is gonna be even worse in a couple of weeks. So far we’re trying to hold steady, but how long will that last?”

And in Florida, there is a strain on the nurses:  

[font=Balto, Helvetica, sans-serif]"According to CBS Local in Miami, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has requested that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) send 1,500 nurses to the state to relieve the pressure on overworked hospital staff."[/font]

[font=Balto, Helvetica, sans-serif]But that's not Jacksonville.  That's Miami.  [/font]

[font=Balto, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, I can't confirm what she told me.  I do know her, and she is a very credible person, but maybe I misunderstood her.  [/font]

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2020, 04:10 PM by Sammy.)

(07-17-2020, 09:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 06:31 AM)captivating Wrote: There is a fifth option.  Go buy an N95 mask, wear it and stop being a bellend.

N95s must be fit tested for them to protect the wearer, you don't just pick one up of the shelf and put it on. They also do not filter the exhale, they are only designed to filter inhales so they don't protect other people from the wearer. In short, they aren't useful because they aren't being used correctly and they can actually make the situation worse because the give a false sense of security. They also turn otherwise normal people into condescending self righteous douchenozzles.

I stock 3M-8200, and 3M-8210 N95 mask for my shop employees (and have well before the Kung Flu), Neither model has the exhale valve, and only comes in one size, so they aren't quite a mask you must be fitted for.

PS, I have a few of the 3M N95 Mask here at home, I can take a picture of them (without valve) if you would like to see what they look like ... Pretty generic looking.

My "mask" should I choose to wear it is a bandanna that I keep in my pocket.  It does (doesn't) do the same thing as an N95 mask or any other "mask" that is "in fashion" these days.  The thing is, I carry a firearm and concealing my identity is a HUGE "no-no" when doing so, therefor I never wear my "mask".

My daughter-in-law happens to live with and care for my mother-in-law (well into her 80's).  My DIL also happens to work as an aid in a nursing home with confirmed cases.  She doesn't wear a mask when at home with my MIL and neither one has had symptoms or come down with the virus.

It's pretty much just a bad flu that can be combated with common hygiene practices.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-19-2020, 04:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: My "mask" should I choose to wear it is a bandanna that I keep in my pocket.  It does (doesn't) do the same thing as an N95 mask or any other "mask" that is "in fashion" these days.  The thing is, I carry a firearm and concealing my identity is a HUGE "no-no" when doing so, therefor I never wear my "mask".

My daughter-in-law happens to live with and care for my mother-in-law (well into her 80's).  My DIL also happens to work as an aid in a nursing home with confirmed cases.  She doesn't wear a mask when at home with my MIL and neither one has had symptoms or come down with the virus.

It's pretty much just a bad flu that can be combated with common hygiene practices.

NC has a provision for concealed carry folks who wear masks. We are largely a republican state normally governed by democrats, the current governor being a total dictator. I'm surprised there is a provision but our Lt. Gov is a republican and probably told the dictator he shouldn't piss off the majority of the state.

(07-19-2020, 04:06 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 09:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: N95s must be fit tested for them to protect the wearer, you don't just pick one up of the shelf and put it on. They also do not filter the exhale, they are only designed to filter inhales so they don't protect other people from the wearer. In short, they aren't useful because they aren't being used correctly and they can actually make the situation worse because the give a false sense of security. They also turn otherwise normal people into condescending self righteous douchenozzles.

I stock 3M-8200, and 3M-8210 N95 mask for my shop employees (and have well before the Kung Flu), Neither model has the exhale valve, and only comes in one size, so they aren't quite a mask you must be fitted for.

PS, I have a few of the 3M N95 Mask here at home, I can take a picture of them (without valve) if you would like to see what they look like ... Pretty generic looking.

Ok, I'll concede that there are industrial N95s that differ from the ones I'm familiar with in the healthcare setting. I did notice on the Home Depot site that many N95s sold there do in fact have the valve, so my point is correct in at least some circumstances with some of those models as well.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I wear a fully functioning Darth Vader helmet. With breathing sound effects and everything!

(07-20-2020, 09:36 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I wear a fully functioning Darth Vader helmet. With breathing sound effects and everything!

Then you are racist. Why not wear a storm trooper helmet?

(07-20-2020, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 09:36 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I wear a fully functioning Darth Vader helmet. With breathing sound effects and everything!

Then you are racist. Why not wear a storm trooper helmet?

The voice is of a black guy, so it's okay.

Wait, that's cultural appropriation. Damn me!