Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-08-2021, 09:14 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:49 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'm just in awe of how bad your arguments are sometimes. Like, it's almost impressive. It reminds me of watching a really, really bad movie. At first, I'm almost offended at how bad it is, but then I think to myself, is it this bad on purpose? I mean, the person who made this HAS to know how bad it is, right? So I just keep watching and the badness becomes comical. I even encourage my friends to watch. Like... bro, check this one out, you'll love it. Mikesez is a cult classic.

You're outraged that these infected people plan to take a bus from Brownsville to Houston, but you'd be more than happy to force them onto a bus from Brownsville to Matamoros.  Biology and epidemiology isn't driving that decision making process, and yet you pretend otherwise.

There it is. The typical leftist debate tactic: when cornered with an untenable argument, pull out the race card.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What's actually happening is Biden is revoking the "remain in mexico" policy.
I oppose that change, personally. I think this is an area where Trump had a good idea.
I'm just saying that the pandemic isn't any kind of point for or against that policy. It's a red herring.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-08-2021, 08:49 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'm just in awe of how bad your arguments are sometimes. Like, it's almost impressive. It reminds me of watching a really, really bad movie. At first, I'm almost offended at how bad it is, but then I think to myself, is it this bad on purpose? I mean, the person who made this HAS to know how bad it is, right? So I just keep watching and the badness becomes comical. I even encourage my friends to watch. Like... bro, check this one out, you'll love it. Mikesez is a cult classic.

It's the web version of street performance art.

You're outraged that these infected people plan to take a bus from Brownsville to Houston, but you'd be more than happy to force them onto a bus from Brownsville to Matamoros.  Biology and epidemiology isn't driving that decision making process, and yet you pretend otherwise.

No, we want them stopped at the border and, if they somehow make it across, then catapulted back over.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Just popping in to say that I'm having a great maskless morning and I hope you have one as well..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-08-2021, 08:50 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 09:21 PM)copycat Wrote: So it occurred to me today we are fast approaching our one year anniversary of  3 weeks to flatten the curve decree.  What a crock of feces this ride it has been.

I recall original estimates of approximately three months, not three weeks.  The rate of infection did level off after 4-5 months, but increased dramatically again in the fall.  Fortunately, we now have multiple vaccines available and the overall situation should steadily improve.

Crock of feces is a relative term.   How much worse would the effects of the virus have been without masks and/or shutdowns?  That's the big unknown, which will be debated by historians and economists forever.

But it is a huge crock...

Consider the virus is never going to go away.  It it will continue to mutate and return every cold, Flu and now Covid season.  Why was the mortality rate so high in the beginning?  Because our collective immune systems had never encounter this particular virus before.  The only way to fight the virus is to build up immunities to it.  You can't do that hiding behind a mask.  Eventually we all will be exposed.  The only thing the mask and lockdowns did was spread out how long that will take.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-08-2021, 04:51 PM)copycat Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:50 AM)Sneakers Wrote: I recall original estimates of approximately three months, not three weeks.  The rate of infection did level off after 4-5 months, but increased dramatically again in the fall.  Fortunately, we now have multiple vaccines available and the overall situation should steadily improve.

Crock of feces is a relative term.   How much worse would the effects of the virus have been without masks and/or shutdowns?  That's the big unknown, which will be debated by historians and economists forever.

Consider the virus is never going to go away.  It it will continue to mutate and return every cold, Flu and now Covid season.  Why was the mortality rate so high in the beginning?  Because our collective immune systems had never encounter this particular virus before.  The only way to fight the virus is to build up immunities to it.  You can't do that hiding behind a mask.  Eventually we all will be exposed.  The only thing the mask and lockdowns did was spread out how long that will take.

I had to do a double take as I read that first line out of the corner of my eye.

The bottom line is that people have been conditioned to be afraid of the China virus because when it first hit us it was an "unknown".  Remember the panic to get ventilators?  Hospital beds?  It turns out that most of the time those things are not necessary.  Getting the China virus does not mean that you will end up in ICU on a ventilator.

People that are afraid of the China virus are conditioned to think that getting it is an "automatic death sentence"  when in reality most people recover from it just like people recover from getting the flu.

Another reality check is that people that are vulnerable to the China virus are just as vulnerable to the common flu.  Giving elderly "grandpa or grandma" the flu is just as bad as passing the China virus.

Mask mandates, closed business and closed schools needs to stop.  Wearing a mask is not the "new normal" and is pretty dumb.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-08-2021, 08:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The bottom line is that people have been conditioned to be afraid of the China virus because when it first hit us it was an "unknown".  Remember the panic to get ventilators?  Hospital beds?  It turns out that most of the time those things are not necessary.  Getting the China virus does not mean that you will end up in ICU on a ventilator.

People that are afraid of the China virus are conditioned to think that getting it is an "automatic death sentence"  when in reality most people recover from it just like people recover from getting the flu.

Another reality check is that people that are vulnerable to the China virus are just as vulnerable to the common flu.  Giving elderly "grandpa or grandma" the flu is just as bad as passing the China virus.

Mask mandates, closed business and closed schools needs to stop.  Wearing a mask is not the "new normal" and is pretty dumb.

QFT.. 100%

(03-08-2021, 08:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The bottom line is that people have been conditioned to be afraid of the China virus because when it first hit us it was an "unknown".  Remember the panic to get ventilators?  Hospital beds?  It turns out that most of the time those things are not necessary.  Getting the China virus does not mean that you will end up in ICU on a ventilator.

I pretty much agree with this. It's not quite the flu right now, but I think it will be in a couple years. Until then, I definitely think think the elderly and immuno-compromised are still at high risk for the near future, so we should still be mindful of them. In a few years, I think the general population will have good antibodies, and, even if the virus does mutate, we'll adjust to it quickly. Also, our methods for dealing with the virus have gotten significantly better. 

All in all, I think mask wearing has more to do with the psyche of the American public than it is an effective preventative measure, and the data bears this out. As a society, we have definitely overreacted and let fear control a lot of our policies.

(03-08-2021, 04:51 PM)copycat Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:50 AM)Sneakers Wrote: I recall original estimates of approximately three months, not three weeks.  The rate of infection did level off after 4-5 months, but increased dramatically again in the fall.  Fortunately, we now have multiple vaccines available and the overall situation should steadily improve.

That's EXACTLY what they were supposed to do.  Stopping the virus completely was never considered possible.  The masks and shutdowns were designed to, as you posted earlier, "flatten the curve".  
Remember how ridiculous things got last spring with just toilet paper?  Imagine the nationwide panic that what would have ensued if hospitals had been overwhelmed and the grocery logistics chain had shut down, even briefly.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I'm not outraged by it. I don't think Covid is that deadly. I'm outraged by the hypocrisy of the left. It's on full display on the regular, and you are too blind to see it. We can destroy small businesses, but we look the other way for protests and illegal immigrants. We will allow anyone with a D next to their name to completely ignore the rules they set for others, but also denigrate those who want to return to their normal lives. Admit it, as you read that last sentence, your first thought was "We can't return to our normal lives because of Corona." C'mon. Admit it. We can't do it, but illegals can. Democratic leaders can. Ok bro. The left is a bunch of hypocrites that almost exclusively use an tragedy to advance their terrible agenda. It's all a power grab, and you are incapable of recognizing the truth of it.

Do you have any medical evidence to support your theory?

How is wearing a mask "dumb"?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-08-2021, 09:13 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Do you have any medical evidence to support your theory?

He just likes saying China virus.  It's what all the cool kids do.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 09:28 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(03-08-2021, 09:21 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:13 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Do you have any medical evidence to support your theory?

He just likes saying China virus.  It's what all the cool kids do.

I believe at the direction of the WHO, which happens to be in Chinas pocket, viruses stopped being named after where they initiated,  i.e, West Nile, Zika, Ebola, etc in 2015.

This is in fact really the China virus if you are a rational thinker.

(03-08-2021, 09:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 04:51 PM)copycat Wrote: But it is a huge crock...

That's EXACTLY what they were supposed to do.  Stopping the virus completely was never considered possible.  The masks and shutdowns were designed to, as you posted earlier, "flatten the curve".  
Remember how ridiculous things got last spring with just toilet paper?  Imagine the nationwide panic that what would have ensued if hospitals had been overwhelmed and the grocery logistics chain had shut down, even briefly.

And the curve has been flat for some time yet here we are.  Blue state "leaders" continue to want shut downs and not wearing a mask makes you a Neanderthal one year later!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-09-2021, 08:10 AM)copycat Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote: That's EXACTLY what they were supposed to do.  Stopping the virus completely was never considered possible.  The masks and shutdowns were designed to, as you posted earlier, "flatten the curve".  

And the curve has been flat for some time yet here we are.  Blue state "leaders" continue to want shut downs and not wearing a mask makes you a Neanderthal one year later!

It's textbook brainwashing.. And you can instantly tell who's been brainwashed and who hasn't..

(03-09-2021, 08:10 AM)copycat Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote: That's EXACTLY what they were supposed to do.  Stopping the virus completely was never considered possible.  The masks and shutdowns were designed to, as you posted earlier, "flatten the curve".  

Right, after we flattened the curve, the puic health officials moved on to their next goal of reducing transmission as much as possible.  Flattening the curve was about making it so people end up hospitalized at all different times. But it would obviously be even better if fewer people were hospitalized to begin with.  Hard to argue with the logic once you understand it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Now this is really starting to hit home for me. Almost every time I've visited New York City I've eaten at this place. It was a Chinatown institution.

It was HUUUUGE. Dozens of waiters and waitresses wheeling around carts with an incredible variety of dim sum dishes. A thousand customers- wedding parties, people celebrating birthdays or graduations, or just people on their lunch hour enjoying cheap delicious food. You would wait out on the sidewalk, and when a table opened, you'd go up a long escalator to the second floor, where there was a giant restaurant.

So sad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/10/nyreg...e=Homepage

This is the same reason Newsome is up for recall. It should be pretty obvious that Republicans handled this pandemic better than the democrats, regardless of your political affiliation. I am so grateful we had DeSantis instead of Gillum.

(03-10-2021, 07:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Now this is really starting to hit home for me.    Almost every time I've visited New York City I've eaten at this place.   It was a Chinatown institution.  

It was HUUUUGE.   Dozens of waiters and waitresses wheeling around carts with an incredible variety of dim sum dishes.    A thousand customers- wedding parties, people celebrating birthdays or graduations, or just people on their lunch hour enjoying cheap delicious food.   You would wait out on the sidewalk, and when a table opened, you'd go up a long escalator to the second floor, where there was a giant restaurant.  

So sad.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/10/nyreg...e=Homepage

Always takes something hitting close to home to realize the damage of the policies YOU support. 

I have a feeling that will start happening a lot this summer.