Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ngakoue announces he wants to leave Jaguars

I'm torn on this. On one hand if I'm Yan, I would have taken the deal last year. Wasnt it $19M a year putting you as one of the top DEs in the league? Instead he holds out essentially and loses $17M. And is one year later in getting to a 3rd contract if he is fortunate enough to do so. He will likely get tagged this year and if something happens to him (another good but not great year, injury, etc... ) his value will drop. Took a risk by playing all of last year and will do so again this year unless he decides to sit out and lose another $19M (or whatever it was he would have earned had he signed the original deal).

On the otherhand, if I'm the Jags, while this guy may not be the best DE in the league (even though he wants best DE in the league money), he is a really really good player, works hard, doesnt get in trouble off the field, etc, etc... essentially everything you want in a player. And we are haggling over $2-3M? We'll spend $2M on some backup LB or something this year who will return us little to no value.

They are already so close, just a cut deal right down the middle and call it a day. It's almost as if pride is getting in the way on both sides now. Nobody wants to seem like the loser in the deal. Yan has been costing himself money and we are putting at risk one of our best players for what is essentially immaterial money in the world of NFL numbers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree with the above assessment

It would be awesome to get a 1st round pick for Yann. Josh Allen is more than ready to step in at DE, and it would give the Jags draft capital to rebuild the defense.

Yan needs to get real though. He is missing out on up to 30 million by not signing last year if he sits out this year

It was pretty obvious this day was coming. Most of us saw it coming from a mile away, even though people like Cleatwood laughed at me in other threads saying hiw painfully obvious it was. I think we can get a late first or earthly second paired with a 4th. We will have a ton of holes on this roster but also a ton of assets with all the picks moving forward. Just gotta hope with all those assets that we put ourselves in position to land a franchise QB. That can save everything.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 12:32 PM by Caldrac.)

Would Miami be a plausible trading partner on draft night for him? They have plenty of 1st round picks at their disposal.

Let's say all of the good pass rushers are off the board and they feel Ngakoue fits in their scheme? I would hate to see him go. But if it means getting a late RD1 pick for him to maybe add a CB or LB to the defense that's fine by me if they get the picks right at 9th and 20th.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

This is the most discouraging off season ever, in my view.

I yearn for a Garrard/ Leftwich drama.

(03-02-2020, 12:28 PM)Newton Wrote: Yan needs to get real though. He is missing out on up to 30 million by not signing last year if he sits out this year

He's trying to get 90-100 million with 50-60 mil guaranteed. 
He isn't worried about that 30. (which, btw, was only rumor -  we don't know what was offered)

https://twitter.com/mattverderame/status...39904?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Good thing it was all TC and the players the ownership spoke to at the end of the season wanted to play for the coaches. That was a big factor in staying the course right?

This team is run like the titanic. All we do is rearrange the deck chairs. Can't retain anyone of value and absolutely destroy anything of value. Do they hate the fans or what?

On to more games in London and tinkling on the fans and telling them it is raining
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(03-02-2020, 12:37 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/mattverderame/status...39904?s=21

I think this is fair. Miami seems like a good trading partner in this IMHO.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-02-2020, 12:37 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/mattverderame/status...39904?s=21

Agreed.

Would be the best case scenario as well.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 12:49 PM by Cleatwood.)

(03-02-2020, 12:39 PM)enigma Wrote:

Agreed.

Except the Jags would hope their pass rush ends up better than Seattles after Clark left....

(03-02-2020, 12:28 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: It would be awesome to get a 1st round pick for Yann.  Josh Allen is more than ready to step in at DE, and it would give the Jags draft capital to rebuild the defense.
The bolded means absolutely nothing.

(03-02-2020, 12:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 12:39 PM)enigma Wrote: Agreed.

Except the Jags would hope their pass rush ends up better than Seattles after Clark left....

If Allen, Smoot & Bryan all take another step forward they may be alright in this case. And with that 9th and 20th overall pick they could very well end up drafting a solid interior player or defender on the back seven that buys your front four more time to get after it. 

Would like to see a deal struck with Miami though in this scenario. Maybe get that 26th pick from them and then a future 2nd or take that 70th pick off their hands in RD3.

(03-02-2020, 12:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 12:28 PM)Newton Wrote: Yan needs to get real though. He is missing out on up to 30 million by not signing last year if he sits out this year

He's trying to get 90-100 million with 50-60 mil guaranteed. 
He isn't worried about that 30. (which, btw, was only rumor -  we don't know what was offered)

The issue is the net amount of money would have likely been higher if he just took a deal originally. You have to realize the difference with being a free agent vs under contract when it comes time to negotiations. That said I am so sick of our front office not handling these guys correctly and running them off.

Ngakoue to Miami for the 26th and 70th overall picks. Straight up. Move Campbell back inside to make up for Dareus. Give Smoot Ngakoue's old job and give Allen more snaps on the field.

Having the 9th, 20th & 26th overall picks on opening night opens up the door to a whole lot of options. Having an extra pick in RD3 gives you an option to move back up into RD2 for another quality player as well. Or they can sit tight and land a good WR or TE in that range.

Yeah, all the FO did was offer him a top DE contract a year early. What a real slap in the face. Is the tag applied yet?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(03-02-2020, 12:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Ngakoue to Miami for the 26th and 70th overall picks. Straight up. Move Campbell back inside to make up for Dareus. Give Smoot Ngakoue's old job and give Allen more snaps on the field.

Having the 9th, 20th & 26th overall picks on opening night opens up the door to a whole lot of options. Having an extra pick in RD3 gives you an option to move back up into RD2 for another quality player as well. Or they can sit tight and land a good WR or TE in that range.

I'd rotate Campbell and Smoot at big end and make Allen the primary weak side DE edge rusher. 
(Campbell will likely be on a snap count this year)
Smoot isn't ready (good enough) for significant snaps from the edge and spent half his snaps last year inside.  Any spelling of Allen at edge would have to be done by McCray and/or a rookie IMO.

(03-02-2020, 01:05 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Yeah, all the FO did was offer him a top DE contract a year early. What a real slap in the face. Is the tag applied yet?

What was that offer exactly?

(03-02-2020, 01:05 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Yeah, all the FO did was offer him a top DE contract a year early. What a real slap in the face. Is the tag applied yet?
Uninformed I see.

(03-02-2020, 01:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
JagwiredYeah, all the FO did was offer him a top DE contract a year early. What a real slap in the face. Is the tag applied yet?

What was that offer exactly?

Is your google machine broken?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.