Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ranking the 19 starting Jaguar QBs of all time

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 06:28 PM by JagFanatic24.)

A couple of guys have sent me messages saying they are enjoying the lists so here’s another one I thought would be fun.

The best to worst starting Jaguars QBs

1. Brunell - 63 wins 4 straight playoffs, 2 Divisional Titles, 2 AFC Championship Games, apart of the best offensive play in franchise history “Fade to Glory.” Averaged 7.1 yards per attempt. Had a .538 win percentage and a 60.4 compl percentage. All Pro in 1996. Led the league in passing in 1996. 2 time MVP of the Pro Bowl.

2. Bortles - 24 wins. 1 Divisional Title, 1 playoff appearance, most TD passes in a season, and most passing yards in a season. 

3. Garrard - 37 wins. 1 playoff appearance, highest QB rating in a season. Only threw 3 ints one year. Had a huge 31 yard run that set up a game winning kick by Scobee to beat PIT @ Pit. Also made the Pro Bowl when 9 other people said they didn’t wanna play.

4. Leftwich - 24 wins. 1 playoff appearance @NE. Had a .545 win percentage. 58.7 compl percentage. 

5. Minshew - 6 wins as a rookie, which is 5th all time as a Jag QB, with 3 come from behind wins. 2nd highest Passing TDs in a season with 21 even though he missed 4 games. 8th all time with 60.6 compl percentage. Also ranks 5th all time with 7.0 ypa. Ranks 5th all time in 4th quarter comebacks. Ranks 1st in int% with 1.3 with a win percentage of .500 and is 2nd in team history in qb rating with 91.2 (Martin is 1st with 101.5)

6. Henne only posted 5 wins but has 27 passing TDs which ranks 5th all time in team history. 

7. Gabbert was .185 as a Starter and threw just 22 TDs. His 4,357 yards ranks 6th all time. 

8. Gray - 12 TDs, 1,252 yards with a 85.8 rating which ranks 4th all time. Gray was .500 as the starter. Infamously wore a tinted visor during a night game and threw a pick and then removed it.

9. Beuerlin - was .166 as a starter, he threw for 952 yards and threw 4TDs and was benched by Coughlin and replaced by Brunell. Statistically he ranks as one of the worst QBs in team history with only 1 win in 5 starts.

10. Quinn 748 passing yards with 3 TDs. He was 1-3 as a starter. 

11. Johnson - Was Part of the greatest trade in team history when Buffalo gave us the 9th overall pick in 1998 that we used to draft Taylor. He had the highest compl percentage in team history with 71.4 , he also has the highest ypa of 10.5 his only win was against the Ravens and he sprained his ankle and was carted off the field in 1997, but came back to finish the game with 368 yards and 3 TDs. He also technically has the highest win percentage of 1.000 along with Steve Matthews who beat the Giants that same year.

12. Matthews - was 0-0-0 as a starter in 1997 vs the Giants. Brunell was injured in the preseason game vs the Giants and Matthews was the only other left-handed QB to ever play for the Jaguars. He went 1-0 in his only start and never threw a TD. He had 252 yards passing. But helped Jacksonville stay in the playoff hunt.

13. Martin - this might surprise some of you but statistically he was one of the best in team history. He passed for 662 yards which is 13th all time and 4TDs which is 9th all time. He went 0-1 in his only start but has the 2nd best ypa with 8.5 , he owns the highest compl percentage in team history with 101.5 with 4TDs in his only game.

14. McCown - has a 53.3 compl percentage which ranks dead last. He threw for 418 yards and never threw a TD as a Jaguar. But he did win a game. He went 1-1. McCown had the worst QB rating in team history with 47.9 but he ranks 15th in passing yards.

15. Kessler - He won 2 games and lost 2 games. He threw 2 TDs for 709 yards which ranks 12th.

16. Fiedler - 656 yards and 2 TDs. He also went 1-0 in his only start. Most notable game was 1999 home playoff destruction game vs Miami. Oddly he became Miami’s QB for the next few seasons. 

17. Bouman - Called him while he was on a tractor and he came in and threw for 222 yards and 2 TDs and went 0-1.

18. Edwards - Came from Buffalo that season and was the backup. He started 1 game and lost. Threw for 280 yards and 1 TD. Most known for the “hey there Trent Edwards” song on YouTube.

And the worst QB ever.....yep you guessed it.

19. Foles - $88 million contract. He has the worst win percentage in team history with .000 he went 0-4 and threw just 3 TDs. Only 4 Jaguar starting QBs have ever not won a game and Foles was one of them. Edwards, Martin, Bouman, and Foles. He ranks 11th all time with 736 yards passing. He does own the 2nd highest compl percentage with 65.8

Cleo Lemon went 0-2 in cleanup duty but I didn’t bother to rank him because he never started a game.

Corrected with McCown added.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 05:25 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

What about McCown? Also, I’d put Garrard ahead of Bortles. Nice list, though.

Switch Garrard & Bortles. Garrard is easily the 2nd best QB in franchise history; and you also have Gabbert on there twice, I have no qualms with the rest of the list at a glance.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

You have Gabbert twice: 7 and 14

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

This list explains why Jaguars fans have suffered for the majority of the team's 25 year existence. Brunell is the only q.b. on this list who can be considered above average. Garrard and Bortles were only effective due to what they had around them- especially Bortles. Having a guy who couldn't even throw a spiral as number 2 on this list is enough to make a grown man cry!

Sorry guys. The rankings are corrected. McCown is added and I had Gabbert in here twice. McCown was supposed to be at 14.

(03-17-2020, 05:24 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: What about McCown? Also, I’d put Garrard ahead of Bortles. Nice list, though.

Thank you.

The reason is placed Garrard 3rd overall is because it took him a few seasons to crack the starting lineup. He also limited our offense so bad that all we could run was slants. He even had Torry Holt and Troy Williamson to stretch the field but his deep balls were horrible. 

He also lost some big time games by throwing picks. I won’t ever forget MNF vs Colts on what could have been a game winning drive. *throws it into quadruple coverage. 

I believe his best season he threw for a measly 18 TDs. Of all the plays as a QB, his best play was a run. 

Bortles made it 2nd overall just based on his numbers. He had a monster year in 2015 and led us to the AFC Championship game and should have been the Super Bowl if the refs don’t call Jack down. 

So that led the voters to put Bortles 2nd and Garrard 3rd. 

Both players didn’t deserve their contracts and should have been cut or traded. Garrard got the Pro Bowl because 20 other players refused. So really other than that 1 scramble he basically was very below average for many games.

Bortles at least broke a few records that will probably stand for a very long time.

I have gabbert way lower on my list. Foles doesn’t belong in last either.

Great list

(03-17-2020, 07:42 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I have gabbert way lower on my list. Foles doesn’t belong in last either.

Agreed.  That's a lot of irrational Foles hatred.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

I'd put Garrard and Lefty ahead of Bort.

I might put Lefty ahead of Garrard, if only because he had better deep passing (or maybe better receivers to assist the passing) during his time here.

Despite some of the stats Bort put up (and getting to a AFCCG), I have to discount his impact because of the insecurity that the team seemed to have while he was on the field.

Wow. 19? Damn.

I'll just go with:

1. Mark Brunell
2. David Garrard
3. Gardner Minshew
4. Blake Bortles
5. Rob Johnson (flipped him for Fred Taylor)
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-18-2020, 09:52 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Wow. 19? Damn.

I'll just go with:

1. Mark Brunell
2. David Garrard
3. Gardner Minshew
4. Blake Bortles
5. Rob Johnson (flipped him for Fred Taylor)

If you consider his contract, and his availability which only have us 3 games and a quarter, and him going 0-4. And how the offense sputtered, I just have to rank him at 19. 

For the other guys, no hatred towards Foles at all. I actually loved the move to go get him last season. Once he threw that TD to Chark I thought we had our guy for the next 7 years. He just played awful and that contract...Yikes!

Rob Johnson will always be remembered for 1 thing....Fred Taylor, thank you Buffalo. 

You can really argue Garrard, Bortles, and Leftwich ranked at any spot. But what’s cool is Minshew has only played 6 games and is already up there in the top 3-5 on anyone’s list. 

But for now, ol Marky Mark is still the best ever. Minshew has a real shot though. The kid has something about him.

A list that beautifully illustrates the complete abomination at the NFL's most important position the past 25 years. Looks worse than the Browns list.

(03-18-2020, 08:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: A list  that beautifully illustrates the complete abomination at the NFL's most important position the past 25 years. Looks worse than the Browns list.

Wow thanks bro

(03-18-2020, 08:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Looks worse than the Browns list.

Yeah... no.

Couch, Pederson, Holcomb, Garcia, L McCown, Dilfer, Frye, Anderson, Quinn, McCoy, Weeden, Campbell, Hoyer, Manziel, J McCown, Kessler, Kizer, Mayfield.

Derek Anderson was the only guy to get them to the playoffs and I'm sure he had less to do with it that defense or the running game.
Dilfer during his end of days... Brandon Weeden.... Jason Campbell...

this list has 0 stars (save for MAYBE Mayfield if he gets his stuff together) 0 pro bowlers, 0 playoff wins, 0 records broken....
And I left off some like Seneca Wallace, RGme, Jake Delhomme.

No one can out-Browns the Browns, except the Browns.

As bad as our dumpster fire gets, we can almost always look to Cleveland for how a franchise can be even more poorly managed/coached.

(03-19-2020, 09:46 AM)Kane Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 08:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Looks worse than the Browns list.

Yeah... no.

Couch, Pederson, Holcomb, Garcia, L McCown, Dilfer, Frye, Anderson, Quinn, McCoy, Weeden, Campbell, Hoyer, Manziel, J McCown, Kessler, Kizer, Mayfield.

Derek Anderson was the only guy to get them to the playoffs and I'm sure he had less to do with it that defense or the running game.

this list has 0 stars (save for MAYBE Mayfield if he gets his stuff together) 0 pro bowlers, 0 playoff wins, 0 records broken....

As bad as our dumpster fire gets, we can almost always look to Cleveland for how a franchise can be even more poorly managed/coached.

I think Couch takes a lot of unjust heat.  That guy got the living [BLEEP] kicked out of him behind horrible offensive lines.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-19-2020, 09:56 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 09:46 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah... no.

I think Couch takes a lot of unjust heat.  That guy got the living [BLEEP] kicked out of him behind horrible offensive lines.

Fair. But he never did anything to elevate the team around him. And I was just speaking to the list as a whole... No way our list is worse than the Brownies.

Laughing at the idea that Garrard was "below average" for his time here.

(03-19-2020, 02:25 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: Laughing at the idea that Garrard was "below average" for his time here.

Yea, Garrard has to be rated as one of the best value draft picks in Jaguars history. If one had a list of all 4th round or lower quarterbacks drafted, he'd have to be near the top of the list. Most of those guys never make it, let alone take a team to the AFC championship game.