Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Will Gardner Take the Next Step?
Yes
No
Yes, but only with help in the draft
No, Nick Foles is the best.
Corn.
[Show Results]

Will He or Won't He

So during the dead months of the board, why not strike up a conversation we can look back to during the season -

Gardner Minshew.  I'm going to go ahead and assume there will be no competition and like a professional football team should, they will go in thinking of Minshew as the starter.

Arguably had the best stats with the worst offensive help when it came to rookie QBs.

Does he take the next step next year and become this franchise's savior?

Does he do just enough to make us hope he's the franchise's savior?

Does he stink it up and lose his job to oft-injured Nick Foles?

Let's have some predictions on how you think he will do...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Depends on the O-Line and whether Minshew can make completions from the pocket in Gruden's offense consistently.

We can't depend on so many off-script passes on the run. We need them and they are valuable, but they can't be the bread and butter.

Personally, I think he's got what it takes. This early in the offseason I remain skeptical of his protection.

I think he'll have a solid and improving season with the help of Gruden and McAdoo. He's got the intangibles, but he needs help from the scheme and his line this year; if he gets it then he could easily have a Season to Remember.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He's got the Moxie, he needs time in the pocket. I'm looking forward to improvements in the redzone, that was his biggest problem in my eyes, last year.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

I think he'll become good enough that you aren't going to scramble looking for a new QB while he is still on a rookie deal (but if we do wind up in position to get Lawrence or Fields by all means draft them). I dont' think he's going to ever be good enough that you'll be happy giving him a giant franchise QB level 2nd contract.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

That's really the question isn't it? As exciting as he was at times, there were times when he looked like a rookie too. People seem to forget that. I think he'll probably have some more ups and downs next year and his success (or lack thereof) will be dependent on the FO's ability to get him a reliable TE and improve the pass protection. He'll avoid the sophomore jinks for the most part.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-18-2020, 11:33 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: He's got the Moxie, he needs time in the pocket. I'm looking forward to improvements in the redzone, that was his biggest problem in my eyes, last year.

That seems to be the crux of the issue.  I've read/heard numerous talking heads say the red zone 'awareness' is usually the last thing to develop for a QB (usually around year 2-3).  The kid really got NO reps with the first team at ALL, got thrust into a starting position....and comported himself well.  He's smart, he definitely has it between the ears.  He went from a JC, to ECU, short stint at Alabama, to WSU.  The kid can read, comprehend, and DISSECT a playbook.  He's shown he can make throws. Give him a bit of protection, get him a COMPETENT safety valve at TE (more important, CONTINUITY at TE)...and he might thrive.  Best of all....we've got another year to figure it out on a SUPER CHEAP salary.

The guy completed 60% of his throws, had a 3.5/1 TD to Int ratio, and had 3200 yards in 14 games. As a sixth round rookie. That aint terrible at all.  Heck, we couldn't even get that with Blaine/Blake their first year....

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Corn.

But seriously though, this poll needs more Blank #2

I think he'll take the next step regardless of what happens with the draft and the rest of free agency. I think if he's entering this summer's training camp with the mindset that he's the BMOC. He'll have the advantage of taking first team reps now and him and Gruden should be able to gameplan accordingly. I think McAdoo will be an excellent QB coach for him. Will he step up enough to win more than six games for this team?

That? I cannot answer. That really boils down to what happens with the defense. This year's schedule is going to be tough sledding. Just got tougher with Rivers signing with the horseshoes and if you feel like our run defense is suspect still? You might actually be worried about the tinhorns having a healthy David Johnson at their disposal. And the tacks always give us a black eye whether we want to accept it or not.

The NFC North is tough. The AFC North is tough. Then we travel out to L.A and play the Chargers and then we play the Dolphins here at home where if you look at their last few games in 2019 they appeared to be finding themselves. And they have just as much draft capital to bolster their cause in 2020. Minshew will take that next step forward. I feel like he has that intangible to him. But the other 52 guys around him MUST also step up and step forward with him.

Coaching has to be on point this year. That sloppy [BLEEP] play we've seen over the last two years has got to go. You can't be making plays on 3rd and a country mile or putting your QB in a 3rd and a country mile because you can't [BLEEP] block cleanly and properly up front. Or because you can't sit your [BLEEP] still long enough presnap. THAT"s coachable. THAT's fixable.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-18-2020, 12:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think he'll take the next step regardless of what happens with the draft and the rest of free agency. I think if he's entering this summer's training camp with the mindset that he's the BMOC. He'll have the advantage of taking first team reps now and him and Gruden should be able to gameplan accordingly. I think McAdoo will be an excellent QB coach for him. Will he step up enough to win more than six games for this team?

That? I cannot answer. That really boils down to what happens with the defense. This year's schedule is going to be tough sledding. Just got tougher with Rivers signing with the horseshoes and if you feel like our run defense is suspect still? You might actually be worried about the tinhorns having a healthy David Johnson at their disposal. And the tacks always give us a black eye whether we want to accept it or not.

The NFC North is tough. The AFC North is tough. Then we travel out to L.A and play the Chargers and then we play the Dolphins here at home where if you look at their last few games in 2019 they appeared to be finding themselves. And they have just as much draft capital to bolster their cause in 2020. Minshew will take that next step forward. I feel like he has that intangible to him. But the other 52 guys around him MUST also step up and step forward with him.

Coaching has to be on point this year. That sloppy [BLEEP] play we've seen over the last two years has got to go. You can't be making plays on 3rd and a country mile or putting your QB in a 3rd and a country mile because you can't [BLEEP] block cleanly and properly up front. Or because you can't sit your [BLEEP] still long enough presnap. THAT"s coachable. THAT's fixable.

I WANT to believe that either A) Cam Robinson will come back stronger from his torn ACL and give better pass pro, or 2) We sack up and take the BEST LT available in the draft and stabilize the line.  A receiving corps of Chark/Conley/Westbrook/Cole, while not ALL WORLD, is not TERRIBLE. Fournette proved he was decent receiving out of the backfield last year.  It's just, cue the broken record...WE NEED A TIGHT END.  Will Shew lead us to more than 6 wins? No telling....will he put up as many garbage time and misleading stats as Bortles did in year 3 or 4? I seriously doubt it.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(03-18-2020, 12:37 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 12:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think he'll take the next step regardless of what happens with the draft and the rest of free agency. I think if he's entering this summer's training camp with the mindset that he's the BMOC. He'll have the advantage of taking first team reps now and him and Gruden should be able to gameplan accordingly. I think McAdoo will be an excellent QB coach for him. Will he step up enough to win more than six games for this team?

I WANT to believe that either A) Cam Robinson will come back stronger from his torn ACL and give better pass pro, or 2) We sack up and take the BEST LT available in the draft and stabilize the line.  A receiving corps of Chark/Conley/Westbrook/Cole, while not ALL WORLD, is not TERRIBLE. Fournette proved he was decent receiving out of the backfield last year.  It's just, cue the broken record...WE NEED A TIGHT END.  Will Shew lead us to more than 6 wins? No telling....will he put up as many garbage time and misleading stats as Bortles did in year 3 or 4? I seriously doubt it.

They have 10 picks and possibly more picks incoming if they decide to wheel and deal Ngakoue out of here. Which seems likely. 

I think on offense you can't go wrong this year. There's a lot of depth at WR, there's some promise at TE that can be found late and we're picking early enough in those late rounds to land a guy there. 

Also, you have to consider Jay Gruden's offensive installation this summer. You're looking at a west coast offense. He'll try to run the football effectively and try to be more physical at the point of attack. And you'll see more three-step, controlled passing from the pocket. It's a lot of quick read and out type of stuff in the passing game. 

My concerns are just the fundamentals and mental ques. They have to tighten up those penalties. It's been this team's bane now for the last two years. And it's a real bummer. Any time this team makes a splash play on offense I automatically out of reflex quickly shoot my eyes back to the line of scrimmage or the sports ticker looking for a flag.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."