Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cabin Fever

(03-24-2020, 04:24 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 02:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I would love to have your occupation, though in today's world it's pretty difficult to start something up like that.

Why is that? Lots of land for sale in Madera County, come on out.

I think I had said before that I have 35 acres here in north Florida (mostly wooded).  I don't see how buying the equipment and infrastructure necessary to farm that much land along with buying the seeds, fertilizers, etc. would make it profitable or even sustain an operation.

I have much respect for farmers because it's not just "planting seeds and watering".  I realize that there is much more involved.  You not only have to be a farmer, but you also have to be an "accountant" and a "marketing person".  You also need to know how your land is and what it might need.  In addition to that after buying high dollar equipment it has to be maintained and sometimes repaired.

The actual work itself and the maintenance/repair of the equipment is something that I would really enjoy.  The accounting, messing with taking product to market, etc. is something that I would not want to do.

Having said that, if I had more acreage and I was younger farming is something that I would really like to do.  I realize that you're not going to get rich doing it, but getting rich really doesn't matter to me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It’s the season for an increase of business due to spring. But now that everyone is sitting at home, we’ve had many people see us working and stop us for estimates. Brining in a bunch of new clients. I understand many people and industries are hurting, but it’s taking in more clients for us. Fortunately, I’m in an area where these clients are just working from home or still getting paid, meaning, we will get paid as well. So I’m seeing a higher than average intake in contracts than normal this time of year.

(03-24-2020, 05:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:24 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Why is that? Lots of land for sale in Madera County, come on out.

I think I had said before that I have 35 acres here in north Florida (mostly wooded).  I don't see how buying the equipment and infrastructure necessary to farm that much land along with buying the seeds, fertilizers, etc. would make it profitable or even sustain an operation.

I have much respect for farmers because it's not just "planting seeds and watering".  I realize that there is much more involved.  You not only have to be a farmer, but you also have to be an "accountant" and a "marketing person".  You also need to know how your land is and what it might need.  In addition to that after buying high dollar equipment it has to be maintained and sometimes repaired.

The actual work itself and the maintenance/repair of the equipment is something that I would really enjoy.  The accounting, messing with taking product to market, etc. is something that I would not want to do.

Having said that, if I had more acreage and I was younger farming is something that I would really like to do.  I realize that you're not going to get rich doing it, but getting rich really doesn't matter to me.

Huh? How do you think we do it any differently?

As far as getting rich, in my area a weak field will return you about $2500/acre and a strong one about $6000/acre. Getting into the $6k/a area will net you something like a 21% annualized ROI on your investment. 

I get something like 8.7% which is why in the next year or two, I will redevelop the entire field into something more profitable/modern. Along with that will come with everything you listed except infrastructure.

But I usually use 20 year time frames to calculate out the returns, so you're right, I wouldn't tackle it at your age unless you planned on some family taking it over at some point.

(03-23-2020, 05:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I do yard work, and play chess on the computer.   My chess is like everything else I do: totally mediocre. 

https://www.chess.com/play/computer

I do a little yard work, and take long walks around the neighborhood.  I need to get up on the roof and blow off all the oak tree pollen which has fallen like a thick blanket.  I am not looking forward to that.

I am staying away from everyone except my wife.  We've been to the store and stocked enough stuff for at least a month.

Great idea, I haven't played in 30+ years. Are you able to play against friends on that site? I wouldn't consider myself "good", but it would be cool to have a Jags board tournament. Smile

(03-27-2020, 04:08 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 05:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I do yard work, and play chess on the computer.   My chess is like everything else I do: totally mediocre. 

I do a little yard work, and take long walks around the neighborhood.  I need to get up on the roof and blow off all the oak tree pollen which has fallen like a thick blanket.  I am not looking forward to that.

I am staying away from everyone except my wife.  We've been to the store and stocked enough stuff for at least a month.

Great idea, I haven't played in 30+ years. Are you able to play against friends on that site? I wouldn't consider myself "good", but it would be cool to have a Jags board tournament. Smile

Okay, I typed all this and it's probably more than you wanted to know, but here goes: 

I rarely play against a real person.  I play against the computers.  If you hover over "Play" then click "Live Chess" you can either play against various computer programs, with names like "Jade-bot" or "Komodo-9," or issue a challenge, and someone from somewhere in the world with match up and game on.  You can choose how much time you want to put on the clock, what kind of game, etc.  I like 15/10 games, where you get 15 minutes total but every time you make a move, it puts 10 seconds back on the clock.  

If you hover over "play" and then click "computer" that is something different, where you can play a computer and get unlimited mulligans.  

I don't like playing against humans because it feels kind of weird.  You can actually feel the person on the other end.  And a lot of them will make you play the game out even when they should resign.   Even though it's all online and anonymous, I feel the competitive tension on the other end.  

My level is around 1100, which is totally mediocre.  I think master level would be around 2000, and grandmaster would be around 2500.  There are masters and grandmasters that play on that website.  I wouldn't play one, though.  It wouldn't be competitive.  So I play the bots that are rated from 1,000 to 1,200.  

It's free.  You can pay extra for additional resources.  But I'm too lazy to do something like study the game.  That's probably why I'm stuck at mediocre.   But I'm completely addicted.  

If you figure out how to have a board tournament, I'll play.

I like pinochle a lot. I have trouble finding people to play anymore. Even if I do, it's difficult finding someone that knows the subtle nuances necessary to play a partners.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-27-2020, 07:04 PM)Rico Wrote: I like pinochle a lot.  I have trouble finding people to play anymore.  Even if I do, it's difficult finding someone that knows the subtle nuances necessary to play a partners.

Online?   I’d check those options.  You’d probably find a lot of games online.  Not much into that game.  But when I was into poker(when it was legal) many games to be played on many sites.  If you’re looking for live play, can’t speak for that.  Our poker room is no mas.  If it comes down to it, check out that old folks home on 13 right before the JC Bridge. Wink

I’ve been to work. So I shouldn’t have cabin fever. What I’m not used to, is my wife and daughter already being home. It was really cool for 4 days. But there is that “personal” time I’m lacking. Love ‘em. But seriously?

(03-27-2020, 07:23 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 07:04 PM)Rico Wrote: I like pinochle a lot.  I have trouble finding people to play anymore.  Even if I do, it's difficult finding someone that knows the subtle nuances necessary to play a partners.

Online?   I’d check those options.  You’d probably find a lot of games online.  Not much into that game.  But when I was into poker(when it was legal) many games to be played on many sites.  If you’re looking for live play, can’t speak for that.  Our poker room is no mas.  If it comes down to it, check out that old folks home on 13 right before the JC Bridge. Wink

Online isn't even close to as much fun.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-27-2020, 07:04 PM)Rico Wrote: I have trouble finding people to play anymore.  Even if I do, it's difficult finding someone that knows the subtle nuances necessary to play a partners.

Isn't it funny how taking out one little sentence can change the entire context of a post.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2020, 09:07 PM by Jags.)

(03-27-2020, 08:34 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 07:23 PM)Jags Wrote: Online?   I’d check those options.  You’d probably find a lot of games online.  Not much into that game.  But when I was into poker(when it was legal) many games to be played on many sites.  If you’re looking for live play, can’t speak for that.  Our poker room is no mas.  If it comes down to it, check out that old folks home on 13 right before the JC Bridge. Wink

Online isn't even close to as much fun.

Can confirm!    I’ll be honest, Idk if it’s typically played for money or not.  If there is a following like poker, there should be sites available.  May give that fix amongst real people and or money. Do you gamble on pinochle?  I really don’t know.  

I know my online poker days were just a fill in for the social aspect of playing against real people and the fact that I loved the game.

He’ll, if it was still legal and I can cash in/out without using a vpn I’d probably still be playing.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2020, 09:37 PM by Jags.)

(03-27-2020, 08:43 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 07:04 PM)Rico Wrote: I have trouble finding people to play anymore.  Even if I do, it's difficult finding someone that knows the subtle nuances necessary to play a partners.

Isn't it funny how taking out one little sentence can change the entire context of a post.

We should really be friends. Sure, I can be be professional, but not really my forte.

So, what are your plans for when life goes back to normal? What’s the thing you miss or are missing most (aside from money)

Are you itching to get back to school or work for the socialization? Wanting to go to a favorite restaurant? See a movie? What’s the first thing you’re going to do?

(03-28-2020, 07:33 AM)Jags Wrote: So, what are your plans for when life goes back to normal? What’s the thing you miss or are missing most (aside from money)

Are you itching to get back to school or work for the socialization? Wanting to go to a favorite restaurant? See a movie?  What’s the first thing you’re going to do?

I guess the first new thing I will do is see my friends again.  Play golf, have friends over for dinner and some adult beverages.  Take a trip somewhere.  Go fishing at the beach.

(03-27-2020, 04:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 04:08 PM)Sammy Wrote: Great idea, I haven't played in 30+ years. Are you able to play against friends on that site? I wouldn't consider myself "good", but it would be cool to have a Jags board tournament. Smile

Okay, I typed all this and it's probably more than you wanted to know, but here goes: 

I rarely play against a real person.  I play against the computers.  If you hover over "Play" then click "Live Chess" you can either play against various computer programs, with names like "Jade-bot" or "Komodo-9," or issue a challenge, and someone from somewhere in the world with match up and game on.  You can choose how much time you want to put on the clock, what kind of game, etc.  I like 15/10 games, where you get 15 minutes total but every time you make a move, it puts 10 seconds back on the clock.  

If you hover over "play" and then click "computer" that is something different, where you can play a computer and get unlimited mulligans.  

I don't like playing against humans because it feels kind of weird.  You can actually feel the person on the other end.  And a lot of them will make you play the game out even when they should resign.   Even though it's all online and anonymous, I feel the competitive tension on the other end.  

My level is around 1100, which is totally mediocre.  I think master level would be around 2000, and grandmaster would be around 2500.  There are masters and grandmasters that play on that website.  I wouldn't play one, though.  It wouldn't be competitive.  So I play the bots that are rated from 1,000 to 1,200.  

It's free.  You can pay extra for additional resources.  But I'm too lazy to do something like study the game.  That's probably why I'm stuck at mediocre.   But I'm completely addicted.  

If you figure out how to have a board tournament, I'll play.

Actually your idea put me on another path (and Rico with pinochle). I figured if you can do Chess online, why not Euchre ... So today I played several games with Bots, even though the free site I used had human games as well (I believe you can setup games with your friends as well). I think I prefer playing Euchre over Chess (but like you, I will probably play some Chess against the computer now that I know that is readily available ... never thought about it). I may check around with some family and friends to see if they would like to play online while we are on a stay at home request. I'm about TV'd out. Thank you guys for the ideas. Smile

(03-22-2020, 09:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've put a huge dent in my yard work. I mowed, trimmed, edged, pruned, fertilized and watered yesterday. The wife and I got some more flowers today and those are now planted after I power washed and painted a couple of my earthenware pots. The back of my neck is actually sunburned a little. It's been a productive weekend.

You can come do mine if you’re bored. I promise to social distance you! Ninja

(03-27-2020, 04:08 PM)Sammy Wrote:

Sammykins!! Love Love Love
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(03-28-2020, 06:30 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 09:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've put a huge dent in my yard work. I mowed, trimmed, edged, pruned, fertilized and watered yesterday. The wife and I got some more flowers today and those are now planted after I power washed and painted a couple of my earthenware pots. The back of my neck is actually sunburned a little. It's been a productive weekend.

You can come do mine if you’re bored. I promise to social distance you! Ninja

I received the same promise from others before the coronavirus. Weird.

(03-28-2020, 06:30 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Sammykins!! Love Love Love

Hey gorgeous ... You wanna play strip poker? Banana

(03-29-2020, 03:09 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 06:30 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Sammykins!! Love Love Love

Hey gorgeous ... You wanna play strip poker? Banana

Under strict social distancing guidelines of course!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(03-29-2020, 04:05 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 03:09 PM)Sammy Wrote: Hey gorgeous ... You wanna play strip poker? Banana

Under strict social distancing guidelines of course!

They say if you cover yourself in jello it is okay.