Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cabin Fever

(03-31-2020, 04:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:35 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Marty did you ever learn some openings? Just 1 or 2 pet ones will make a big difference.

Yes, I do know a few openings.  I know the most popular ones for at least 5 or 6 moves, and I can usually refute the more obscure ones.  

On that website, you can have your game analyzed, and I've started doing that.  And what is really amazing is how many times I fail to notice something that is obvious, and how many absolute blunders there are by both sides.  They rate the moves as best, good, inaccurate, mistake, blunder, and show you what they think you should have done.  I usually just look at the blunders and they are so obvious it's really surprising and humbling.  

My main weakness in chess is carelessness.  Carelessness which is caused by laziness.

I used to play on an app with similar features, it might have even been from that website. It could also analyze your moves in real time. I love chess also, but rarely play anymore because I was too lazy to really really study it. I have some chess puzzlebooks that really help you to be able to see moves. Like spot the fork on the board and such. 

I can't remember my rating really but it was somewhere in your neighborhood.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-31-2020, 11:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: How many times can I sit here and play chess on the computer without getting any better at chess? Apparently, a lot.

It is like golf, but in a chair.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

It’s kinda funny hearing people say “man, I don’t want to go to work tomorrow”. Now that people have been working from home, or off with pay, they’re saying “man, I wanna get back to work”.

Obviously that doesn’t apply to those laid off.

If you like playing Scrabble, this is a great site. You can play for free, but it's not easy getting games. For a $29 annual fee you can play real people or computer players. They recognize official Scrabble tournament rankings, if your ranking is high enough your annual fee is waived. There are several game settings to make it easy or hard.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

You’d think with cabin fever, this thread would be longer than 4 pages. Apparently y’all aren’t THAT bored

(03-31-2020, 04:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:35 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Marty did you ever learn some openings? Just 1 or 2 pet ones will make a big difference.

Yes, I do know a few openings.  I know the most popular ones for at least 5 or 6 moves, and I can usually refute the more obscure ones.  

On that website, you can have your game analyzed, and I've started doing that.  And what is really amazing is how many times I fail to notice something that is obvious, and how many absolute blunders there are by both sides.  They rate the moves as best, good, inaccurate, mistake, blunder, and show you what they think you should have done.  I usually just look at the blunders and they are so obvious it's really surprising and humbling.  

My main weakness in chess is carelessness.  Carelessness which is caused by laziness.

Openings are just memorization and it sounds like you're comfortable with the common ones.  I assume the middle game is your weakness.  How far do you typically get before things start to fall apart?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 07:47 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-31-2020, 10:01 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 04:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Yes, I do know a few openings.  I know the most popular ones for at least 5 or 6 moves, and I can usually refute the more obscure ones.  

Openings are just memorization and it sounds like you're comfortable with the common ones.  I assume the middle game is your weakness.  How far do you typically get before things start to fall apart?

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Anyone know how to post a jpg that exists on my desktop?  I've tried, and I can't figure it out.

Time to celebrate, I won a Level 2 game. Hadn't played chess since high school and it's fun to play again. It was an ugly win, the Level 2 bot was pretty dumb but a win is a win.

(04-01-2020, 08:34 AM)PF* Wrote: Time to celebrate, I won a Level 2 game. Hadn't played chess since high school and it's fun to play again. It was an ugly win, the Level 2 bot was pretty dumb but a win is a win.

Way to go!!!

I like to play on a level where I can win at least 2/3 of the time, because I hate losing.

(04-01-2020, 07:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 10:01 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Openings are just memorization and it sounds like you're comfortable with the common ones.  I assume the middle game is your weakness.  How far do you typically get before things start to fall apart?

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Anyone know how to post a jpg that exists on my desktop?  I've tried, and I can't figure it out.

You have to upload the photo to a image hosting site like Imgur or imgBB, then grab the URL where it's posted put it in the popup box you get when using the "Insert an image" button in your post editor.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 09:44 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-01-2020, 09:29 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 07:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: A picture is worth a thousand words.  Anyone know how to post a jpg that exists on my desktop?  I've tried, and I can't figure it out.

You have to upload the photo to a image hosting site like Imgur or imgBB, then grab the URL where it's posted put it in the popup box you get when using the "Insert an image" button in your post editor.

Thanks!  Got it!

(03-31-2020, 10:01 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 04:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Yes, I do know a few openings.  I know the most popular ones for at least 5 or 6 moves, and I can usually refute the more obscure ones.  

Here is an example of my main weakness.   I won this game, but I did not see that I could have had that rook for free until I ran the analysis.  Unbelievable.  The "??" is the computer telling me the move I made was a blunder.  And the arrow is the computer telling me the move I should have made.  How do I miss stuff like that?  

[img][Image: KZQ7wlG.jpg][/img]

(03-31-2020, 08:17 PM)Jags Wrote: You’d think with cabin fever, this thread would be longer than 4 pages.  Apparently y’all aren’t THAT bored

I don't think that many people live in cabins.

Big Grin
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-01-2020, 10:13 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 08:17 PM)Jags Wrote: You’d think with cabin fever, this thread would be longer than 4 pages.  Apparently y’all aren’t THAT bored

Big Grin

Meh, I went fishing and to work yesterday. Had fun at one, the other not so much.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-01-2020, 10:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 10:13 AM)Rico Wrote: I don't think that many people live in cabins.

Big Grin

Meh, I went fishing and to work yesterday. Had fun at one, the other not so much.

I've been working at home for three weeks now.  It's getting old already.

I can definitely see a positive difference around the neighborhood.  I've never seen people's yards and houses looking so good.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I've been working from home for a week now and I gotta say it's depressing.

I used to be happy to leave work and come home.. now it's just blah.

My situation is a different spin- I'm retired and she works FT so normally I have the run of the house all day. Now, not so much.

She's working at home. It's all changed.

I work in isolation every day. 

Not sure if I talk to the dogs, the plants, or myself the most.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 06:10 PM by Jags.)

(04-01-2020, 06:00 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I work in isolation every day. 

Not sure if I talk to the dogs, the plants, or myself the most.

I heard dogs can carry it.  So if I were you, I’d either make your dog wear a mask or just be very suspect of him/her at all times.  Give ‘em the ol’ stink eye.  Make the “I’m watching you” motion.

(04-01-2020, 09:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 09:29 AM)rollerjag Wrote: You have to upload the photo to a image hosting site like Imgur or imgBB, then grab the URL where it's posted put it in the popup box you get when using the "Insert an image" button in your post editor.

Thanks!  Got it!

(03-31-2020, 10:01 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Openings are just memorization and it sounds like you're comfortable with the common ones.  I assume the middle game is your weakness.  How far do you typically get before things start to fall apart?

Here is an example of my main weakness.   I won this game, but I did not see that I could have had that rook for free until I ran the analysis.  Unbelievable.  The "??" is the computer telling me the move I made was a blunder.  And the arrow is the computer telling me the move I should have made.  How do I miss stuff like that?  

[img][Image: KZQ7wlG.jpg][/img]

OK, that wasn't exactly an aggressive move!  You're down a pawn, but have a much stronger position.....should be a win for white.  I assume the program you're playing notates the game and allows you to return to any move number and replay?  You might find that helpful.

I assume black's last move was P-QB4 (B5)?

PS  When you have that kind of positional advantage, ATTACK!!!  Push the Queen's pawn for all it's worth!
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-01-2020, 10:13 AM)Rico Wrote:

Big Grin

I find that funny, but let’s skip that.  This chess talk is really intriguing me.  Like literallySmile   Couldn’t resist.  I know the basics rules of chess but these nerds are taking it to another level.  Full disclosure, I love nerds and am one myself.  I’m fascinated by it.  I want to learn that too, though admittedly, I won’t.  Sorry for misplaced commas.  I heard they were a thing as a youngster.  Pawn to queens bishop 4!!!!   Whoa, what? I’ve been playing chess like checkers.  There’s opening moves? You mean like more than “hey, there’s 8 planets, but only 7 after I destroy Uranus”. Fascinating stuff.  I just can’t get enough.  Damnit, will my wife ever go back to the office?