Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cabin Fever

(04-03-2020, 11:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 09:41 AM)PF* Wrote: Hmmm, interesting. I haven't played in 20-25 years so doing this on home detention has been fun. I've played a couple of games at Level 3 and the bot has made some really dumb moves...almost like it intentionally wanted to lose the game.

For instance, there was a pawn which had advanced on the far file (H I guess, getting used to that) to H4 and was strongly supported by the rook up at H8. My H pawn was gone so the file was open to my castled king at G1 behind a G2 pawn and beside my F1 rook.

I was worried about that for about 8 moves, not wanting to do something stupid and risk a dumb checkmate  when he inexplicably moved the rook to an insignificant place on the 8th rank and removed the threat.

I think he Bortled it as I was then able to just crash in. But you're right, it is fun to win. Smile

Don't forget you can play "live chess" on that website, against either a bot or a real person.  "Live chess" means you are using a clock and you don't get mulligans like you do against "Level 1" through "Level 10" computers.  You can get a rating and play for rating points.  

I know what you mean about the computer sometimes Bortling, and it led me to wonder, how do they make the computer play at these various "levels."   And I have a theory, that, on the lower levels, randomly throwing away a piece every now and then is one of the ways it reduces its playing level.  Because how could they program a computer to play poorly?  But I don't know that for sure.  I do know that it never seems to do that on the higher levels.  

Playing the higher levels can be pretty frustrating.  It's like being slowly strangled by a python.  There's no one place apparent where you could have made a better move that would have changed the outcome.

There is, you just need to find it.  It may not be an obvious single move, but just a couple that were ineffectual, allowing your opponent to gain a positional advantage.  That's were it's important to know your game plan and work towards it.  Later, when you replay and critique, ask yourself how those moves furthered your objective.  Do you understand your own style of play...….is it passive, aggressive, etc.?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-03-2020, 12:01 PM)PF* Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 11:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Don't forget you can play "live chess" on that website, against either a bot or a real person.  "Live chess" means you are using a clock and you don't get mulligans like you do against "Level 1" through "Level 10" computers.  You can get a rating and play for rating points.  

I know what you mean about the computer sometimes Bortling, and it led me to wonder, how do they make the computer play at these various "levels."   And I have a theory, that, on the lower levels, randomly throwing away a piece every now and then is one of the ways it reduces its playing level.  Because how could they program a computer to play poorly?  But I don't know that for sure.  I do know that it never seems to do that on the higher levels.  

Playing the higher levels can be pretty frustrating.  It's like being slowly strangled by a python.  There's no one place apparent where you could have made a better move that would have changed the outcome.

I was wondering how it could intentionally lose, too, and came to the same conclusion you- that it randomly throws away a piece. It was disappointing as we had a pretty good game going last night when it took a pawn with a knight for no apparent reason and opened a file for my rook.

I thought it had to be a trap where I'd be Bortled into losing a rook but I couldn't see anything so I took the knight basically for free. The board center was then open and my rooks just cleaned up.

The "live chess" against a bot with a clock sounds interesting. I'll step up to that after a few more rust-shaking games.

I play 15/10 games.  That's 15 minutes each but every time you make a move it adds back 10 seconds.  

I'm really bad at 5 minute games.  In 5 minute games I have to play the lower rated bots.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 05:08 PM by Mikey.)

(04-03-2020, 10:03 AM)Rico Wrote: Since I'm home anyway, I'm thinking about starting a grassroots movement to pronounce all silent letters in words.

Who's in?

I always pronounce it "minnemonic" so I remember there's a silent letter in mnemonic.

(04-03-2020, 11:07 AM)Jags Wrote: Heck my favorite dinosaur is the pterodactyl.  That’s my favorite word to pronounce the the silent p

This reminds me of a joke.

My pet pterodactyl woke up in the middle of the night, and tinkled all over the floor. Of course I slept right through it because the p is silent.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 05:22 PM by Jags.)

(04-03-2020, 05:06 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 10:03 AM)Rico Wrote: Since I'm home anyway, I'm thinking about starting a grassroots movement to pronounce all silent letters in words.

Who's in?

I always pronounce it "minnemonic" so I remember there's a silent letter in mnemonic.

(04-03-2020, 11:07 AM)Jags Wrote: Heck my favorite dinosaur is the pterodactyl.  That’s my favorite word to pronounce the the silent p

This reminds me of a joke.

My pet pterodactyl woke up in the middle of the night, and tinkled all over the floor. Of course I slept right through it because the p is silent.
Ha, love me some “dad” jokes.  I’ll throw one back at ya. 

I used to have a job at the recycling plant crushing cans.  I had to quit because it was soda pressing.  

I’ve got one about a kanife. (Knife). But it’s inappropriate for the board. So I won’t tell it.

Has anyone tried more cowbell for their cabin fever? Alexa, play “Don’t Fear the Reaper, by Blue Oyster Cult”

Who's in?

Thanks, but I've already had my movement for the day (shortly after my second coffee).
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-03-2020, 05:33 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Who's in?

Thanks, but I've already had my movement for the day (shortly after my second coffee).
So you made some “fes-sees”? Hmm? Yeah?

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 08:48 PM by Jags.)

Friday nights suck on this board.  But shouldn’t y’all be half lit and with nothing better to do?  Got the video time family charades night happening or something?  What gives?  You better not be having a block party.

(04-03-2020, 08:44 PM)Jags Wrote: Friday nights suck on this board.  But shouldn’t y’all be half lit and with nothing better to do?  Got the video time family charades night happening or something?  What gives?  You better not be having a block party.

Just over here trying to decipher the tax laws of Uruguay.

(04-03-2020, 09:33 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 08:44 PM)Jags Wrote: Friday nights suck on this board.  But shouldn’t y’all be half lit and with nothing better to do?  Got the video time family charades night happening or something?  What gives?  You better not be having a block party.

I refuse to get another warning.  Not because I really care but because I’m trying to be good as a person. I’ve deleted many sentences in this reply in trying to use another country’s name.  Even after a few drinks I delete it.  That’s my cue.   But I still find my not to be said joke funny.

(04-03-2020, 09:52 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 09:33 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Just over here trying to decipher the tax laws of Uruguay.

I refuse to get another warning.  Not because I really care but because I’m trying to be good as a person. I’ve deleted many sentences in this reply in trying to use another country’s name.  Even after a few drinks I delete it.  That’s my cue.   But I still find my not to be said joke funny.

You got a warning? Recently? I never notice you posting anything too bad.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 10:11 PM by Jags.)

(04-03-2020, 09:56 PM)I’m Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 09:52 PM)Jags Wrote: I refuse to get another warning.  Not because I really care but because I’m trying to be good as a person. I’ve deleted many sentences in this reply in trying to use another country’s name.  Even after a few drinks I delete it.  That’s my cue.   But I still find my not to be said joke funny.

You got a warning? Recently? I never notice you posting anything too bad.
Not recently, no.  I have gotten one or two plus a friendly reminder once or twice from a couple mods.  But your Uruguay tax laws made me think of other countries that have names of other people and perhaps the laws of taxes they observe.  And I will not be baited sir! Smile   ...or at least here....I rather like and enjoy the dysfunction in these parts.

(04-03-2020, 10:02 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 09:56 PM)I’m Senor Fantastico Wrote: You got a warning? Recently? I never notice you posting anything too bad.
Not recently, no.  I have gotten one or two plus a friendly reminder once or twice from a couple mods.  But your Uruguay tax laws made me think of other countries that have names of other people and perhaps the laws of taxes they observe.  And I will not be baited sir! Smile   ...or at least here....I rather like and enjoy the dysfunction in these parts.

Haha no worries. Enjoy that drink for me.

(04-03-2020, 09:33 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

DOH!
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-03-2020, 10:02 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 09:56 PM)I’m Senor Fantastico Wrote: You got a warning? Recently? I never notice you posting anything too bad.

Ninja Ninja

Well, it's official. I'm losing my mind being at home so much. 

Against all better judgement, I'm about to go down the DIY-youtube-rabbit-hole and do a brake job on my truck myself. 
Your well-wishes, thoughts, prayers, and ridicule are all welcomed during this difficult time.

(04-04-2020, 12:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 10:02 PM)Jags Wrote: Not recently, no.  I have gotten one or two plus a friendly reminder once or twice from a couple mods.  But your Uruguay tax laws made me think of other countries that have names of other people and perhaps the laws of taxes they observe.  And I will not be baited sir! Smile   ...or at least here....I rather like and enjoy the dysfunction in these parts.

Ninja Ninja

Against all better judgement, I'm about to go down the DIY-youtube-rabbit-hole and do a brake job on my truck myself. 
Your well-wishes, thoughts, prayers, and ridicule are all welcomed during this difficult time.

Nah. Brakes are much easier than you think.

(04-04-2020, 01:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 12:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Ninja Ninja

Nah. Brakes are much easier than you think.

I initially got a bit off-put by the "captive rotor" situation on my truck, but it looks like it's really just going to add an impact wrench, some penetrant, and four stubborn bolts to the equation.  

I'll be sure to share my mistakes and eventual triumph. 

BTW  - for anyone taking advantage of downtime with auto DIY - Advance Auto parts is offering a 25% off coupon code and free 4 day shipping on parts right now. (no in store pick up with offer)  The code they gave me was: YAM3BX

I saved almost 50 bucks on rotors, pads, bearings and such.

(04-04-2020, 07:40 AM)Rico Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 09:33 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Just over here trying to decipher the tax laws of Uruguay.

DOH!

Damn you.

(04-04-2020, 01:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 01:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Nah. Brakes are much easier than you think.

I initially got a bit off-put by the "captive rotor" situation on my truck, but it looks like it's really just going to add an impact wrench, some penetrant, and four stubborn bolts to the equation.  

BTW  - for anyone taking advantage of downtime with auto DIY - Advance Auto parts is offering a 25% off coupon code and free 4 day shipping on parts right now. (no in store pick up with offer)  The code they gave me was: YAM3BX

Did someone say impact wrench? Get a NitroCat. Or save the money and slip 3 feet of pipe over your wrench. 

Remember to check the fluid when you're done.  Big Grin

(04-04-2020, 01:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 01:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Nah. Brakes are much easier than you think.

The absolute least expensive way to go with parts is rockauto.com. You would be amazed at how much you save on brake kits there.

(04-04-2020, 02:09 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 01:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I initially got a bit off-put by the "captive rotor" situation on my truck, but it looks like it's really just going to add an impact wrench, some penetrant, and four stubborn bolts to the equation.  

Did someone say impact wrench? Get a NitroCat. Or save the money and slip 3 feet of pipe over your wrench. 

Remember to check the fluid when you're done.  Big Grin

When changing out the chain and sprockets on my bike I discovered the previous owner had put red locktite on the front sprocket retaining nut, even though it has a keeper. With the bike on the center stand, my son stood straddled across the front wheel and held the handle bars to prevent the bike from moving forward while I used a half inch breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater pipe. My poor son was struggling to keep the bike pushed back while I grunted mightily upward. It sounded like a gunshot when it finally broke. Red locktite is good stuff.