Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cabin Fever

(04-04-2020, 02:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:09 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Did someone say impact wrench? Get a NitroCat. Or save the money and slip 3 feet of pipe over your wrench. 

Remember to check the fluid when you're done.  Big Grin

When changing out the chain and sprockets on my bike I discovered the previous owner had put red locktite on the front sprocket retaining nut, even though it has a keeper. With the bike on the center stand, my son stood straddled across the front wheel and held the handle bars to prevent the bike from moving forward while I used a half inch breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater pipe. My poor son was struggling to keep the bike pushed back while I grunted mightily upward. It sounded like a gunshot when it finally broke. Red locktite is good stuff.

Me after jumping on the cheater for an hour: Dad when's the last time the Indusco was apart? It needs new blades.

Dad: ....76?

You're giving me PTSD HB.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Speaking of... NYC if you see this use some anti-sieze when you throw it back together. Stuff is a gift from the heavens above.

(04-04-2020, 02:58 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Speaking of... NYC if you see this use some anti-sieze when you throw it back together. Stuff is a gift from the heavens above.

Thanks for the tips, fellas. 

Will heed.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 03:35 PM by homebiscuit.)

(04-04-2020, 02:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: When changing out the chain and sprockets on my bike I discovered the previous owner had put red locktite on the front sprocket retaining nut, even though it has a keeper. With the bike on the center stand, my son stood straddled across the front wheel and held the handle bars to prevent the bike from moving forward while I used a half inch breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater pipe. My poor son was struggling to keep the bike pushed back while I grunted mightily upward. It sounded like a gunshot when it finally broke. Red locktite is good stuff.

Me after jumping on the cheater for an hour: Dad when's the last time the Indusco was apart? It needs new blades.

"I see threads! Why won't it turn??"

This stuff has saved me numerous headaches. If I even suspect it's going to be problematic, a couple of squirts and at least a 15 minute soak time. It works great on seized up plier joints too. 

[Image: 4LRF8_AS01?%24mdmain%24]

(04-04-2020, 02:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:58 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Speaking of... NYC if you see this use some anti-sieze when you throw it back together. Stuff is a gift from the heavens above.

Thanks for the tips, fellas. 

Will heed.

I highly recommend a good coating of silicone brake lubricant, as well. It keeps the pads from binding up.

(04-04-2020, 03:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Me after jumping on the cheater for an hour: Dad when's the last time the Indusco was apart? It needs new blades.

This stuff has saved me numerous headaches. If I even suspect it's going to be problematic, a couple of squirts and at least a 15 minute soak time. It works great on seized up plier joints too. 

(04-04-2020, 02:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thanks for the tips, fellas. 

Will heed.

I highly recommend a good coating of silicone brake lubricant, as well. It keeps the pads from binding up.

Haha HB, I have it. Good stuff besides the smell. My process is more like:

1) soak day 1, let sit overnight.
2) repeat 1
3) heat with torch, pray the Nitro Cat turns it loose
4) stand on cheater for a while 
5) cut it apart with the torch. 

In fact, I increasingly grab the torch first now and just buy the replacement parts if I can. I think I have 1 piece of equipment that is younger than I am. No wait, I just bought the second last year. Progress!

I used to do disc brakes all the time when kids and their cars were at home. One time I decided to do the rear drums and ended up bringing the parts in a box to the local vocational school for the kids to put it back together.

Now I just go down to the local auto parts store (NAPA here) and ask for a local back yard guy who might want to do the job for me. It'll either be the counter guy or his buddy or a regular customer but it's always cheaper than a shop.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(04-04-2020, 02:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Me after jumping on the cheater for an hour: Dad when's the last time the Indusco was apart? It needs new blades.

Will heed.

I used PB Blaster for years until a learned a little trick from a mechanic.  A 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone works wonders.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Will heed.

I have caliper lube for the moving parts/pins there, and I have a "quiet paste" for the pads. 
(and bearing grease for the bearings) 

Does that cover it, or is the one you mention not covered there?

(04-04-2020, 04:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 03:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: "I see threads! Why won't it turn??"

I have caliper lube for the moving parts/pins there, and I have a "quiet paste" for the pads. 
(and bearing grease for the bearings) 

Does that cover it, or is the one you mention not covered there?

The quiet paste is another name for what I mentioned. Sounds like you’re well provisioned.

Even though I am working (so far) during this time period. I have crazy can't sleep issues. I started binge watching movies free on Amazon Prime. I have three (3) movies that halfway through I wasn't so sure about, but after they were over, I considered them awesome. Not sure if it is a lack of sleep, Drugs, Alcohol ... combination of all three, or the manor in which I watched them (Laptop, and Beats HP alone in the dark) while plastered Smile. If you dare to trust me, and more than likely we are nothing alike ... watch one, or two of these ... Then tell me how stupid Rico is.

Man From Earth
Crash
Almost Famous

You have to make it past halfway before giving up.

Another one I enjoyed was Super 8

I would also take suggestions for the 2am time slot I have open at this time.

(04-04-2020, 05:45 PM)Sammy Wrote: Even though I am working (so far) during this time period. I have crazy can't sleep issues. I started binge watching movies free on Amazon Prime. I have three (3) movies that halfway through I wasn't so sure about, but after they were over, I considered them awesome. Not sure if it is a lack of sleep, Drugs, Alcohol ... combination of all three, or the manor in which I watched them (Laptop, and Beats HP alone in the dark) while plastered Smile. If you dare to trust me, and more than likely we are nothing alike ... watch one, or two of these ... Then tell me how stupid Rico is.

Man From Earth
Crash
Almost Famous

If you don't mind a bit of macabre, "The Witch" on Netflix is great. 

And Rico is so dumb, he brought his own spoon to the Super Bowl.

(04-04-2020, 12:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 10:02 PM)Jags Wrote: Not recently, no.  I have gotten one or two plus a friendly reminder once or twice from a couple mods.  But your Uruguay tax laws made me think of other countries that have names of other people and perhaps the laws of taxes they observe.  And I will not be baited sir! Smile   ...or at least here....I rather like and enjoy the dysfunction in these parts.

Ninja Ninja

Well, it's official. I'm losing my mind being at home so much. 

Against all better judgement, I'm about to go down the DIY-youtube-rabbit-hole and do a brake job on my truck myself. 
Your well-wishes, thoughts, prayers, and ridicule are all welcomed during this difficult time.

Yes, you have been 1 of three of the “nice guys”.  

Brakes aren’t too bad.  Seems like others already gave good  tips.  I’m by no means a mechanic.  If I can do it, surely you can as well.

Just completed my first Zoom Happy Hour. 

Not quite the same but I'll take it.

OK, I've started to run out of useful things to do, I've been holed up so long. I pressure washed everything imaginable over the last two weekends. [BLEEP], I even pressure washed the drainage culverts. I even built a damn mailbox. I'm scared to ask my wife what I should do though because I'm sure it will be something that I really don't want to do.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020, 11:09 AM by B2hibry.)

(04-04-2020, 04:01 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 03:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: "I see threads! Why won't it turn??"

I used PB Blaster for years until a learned a little trick from a mechanic.  A 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone works wonders.

Don't even need the acetone! Something about the detergents in the fluid. I learned the trick from my Grandad.

I've washed the cars/truck so much I'm going to thin the paint! Waxed my enclosed trailer for no reason. Waxed the boat. Next is to scrub the boat interior and get her ready to eventually get back in the water.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-05-2020, 10:48 AM)Rico Wrote: OK, I've started to run out of useful things to do, I've been holed up so long.  I pressure washed everything imaginable over the last two weekends.  [BLEEP], I even pressure washed the drainage culverts.  I even built a damn mailbox.  I'm scared to ask my wife what I should do though because I'm sure it will be something that I really don't want to do.

If you’re that bored, I’ve got a patio you can wash. I promise to stay away from you! Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We just had new countertops and tile put in the kitchen. No Rico DIY for this guy - at least as far as those tasks go. But no more hired help. Now it's time for paint and backsplash. Since I'm "working" from home, I should be able to knock it out fairly easily.

(04-04-2020, 05:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 05:45 PM)Sammy Wrote: Even though I am working (so far) during this time period. I have crazy can't sleep issues. I started binge watching movies free on Amazon Prime. I have three (3) movies that halfway through I wasn't so sure about, but after they were over, I considered them awesome. Not sure if it is a lack of sleep, Drugs, Alcohol ... combination of all three, or the manor in which I watched them (Laptop, and Beats HP alone in the dark) while plastered Smile. If you dare to trust me, and more than likely we are nothing alike ... watch one, or two of these ... Then tell me how stupid Rico is.

Man From Earth
Crash
Almost Famous

If you don't mind a bit of macabre, "The Witch" on Netflix is great. 

And Rico is so dumb, he brought his own spoon the the Super Bowl.

The Witch will be my next watch.  In the meantime, one thing to always do when you replace brakes ... Pump up the brakes before putting the car in gear. You only make that mistake once. Smile

I’m actually glad I have to go to work tomorrow. On multiple levels.

Plus I ordered new work shirts and they came in yesterday. They’re ALL 100% clean! Not a stain on them!!! And they’re “safety green”. Pretty excited about that.

(04-05-2020, 06:02 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m actually glad I have to go to work tomorrow.  On multiple levels.  

Plus I ordered new work shirts and they came in yesterday.  They’re ALL 100% clean!  Not a stain on them!!!  And they’re “safety green”. Pretty excited about that.

Every time I buy new work clothes, usually pants, the first thing I do is put a rip in them somewhere. Or split the crotch open lol.