Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Oliver Optimism?

I've threatened to do this for weeks and now being out of work has afforded me time. 
In weeks 8, 9 and 11 Josh Oliver saw some decent snap counts (35-59%) and while he was almost never targeted, he did show flashes of promise getting open. Here are a few glimpses of these moments. 

Here Oliver (lower portion of screen) hints toward the seam but breaks to the outside. Looks like Minshew was looking his way before being interrupted by pressure. Oliver gets open easily here. There was a DB coming down toward him, but Oliver had three strides to receive the ball before he'd have been contacted (after his break.) 
[Image: giphy.gif]

Here's Oliver creating some separation on an in-route.  Minshew was sacked here, never saw him make his break. 

These are from week 8 ^

I'll post a few more from weeks 9 and 11 as well. (week 10 was the bye)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

One more - week 8

Here he takes a helmet to helmet shot (penalized) in the red zone and hangs on. 

Here's Oliver in week 9 improvising along with a scrambling Minshew and getting open for what would have been a tough throw back across the body for a pressured Minshew.

Here he is breaking open crossing the middle, but Minshew dumps down to the back instead. 

These are great. Cheers mate. The last clip when he went against the grain...

If Minshew sees him, gets it there, he jogs in for a score.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

He definitely has vision. Some lost opportunity because he and Minshew were rookies. I would like to see Oliver get some of that Chark key-in.

I'll post more examples later today.

This is encouraging

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020, 11:35 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

WHAT THE HELL IS MINSHEW WAITING FOR !!!!

We usually only see Minshew making a cool escape from the pocket but little do we see of these type of missed opportunities.

(03-31-2020, 11:29 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: This is encouraging

Unless you're evaluating the QB

He definitely passes the eye test. I have high hopes for him. Thanks for the clips!
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Some notes on having watched all of these Oliver snaps:

There were many instances where his route was meant as a decoy or to pull a LB or S down closer to the LOS, and there were also some uninspiring reps from him on short stuff. I think his strong suit will be getting between LB and DB in zone, and routes beyond 10 yards where he can create mismatch separation vs man coverage. He's not quick enough off the snap to be super effective in quick hit stuff IMO.

(03-31-2020, 11:32 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: WHAT THE HELL IS MINSHEW WAITING FOR !!!!

We usually only see Minshew making a cool escape from the pocket but little do we see of these type of missed opportunities.

Rookie.

Wait and watch Joe Burrow do the same things.. because he will

Looks like he's about to get free up the seam here after a bump and at the LOS from the safety and a stumble, but the play design is a screen underneath. 

Getting open at the first down marker - Foles dumps underneath. 

He has the potential to be a good player I think. He was pretty unlucky with his injury

(03-31-2020, 11:32 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: WHAT THE HELL IS MINSHEW WAITING FOR !!!!

Both are rookies and didnt played/practiced a lot together. 
Give them a whole offseason and they could build a nice chemistry.

(03-31-2020, 12:37 PM)MikePete54 Wrote:

Exactly. He only got significant snaps w/ Minshew in 2 games last year and spent lots of time hurt. 
If this pandemic doesn't ruin the offseason this year and Gruden identifies Oliver's strengths, Minshew to Oliver could be a nice hook-up in the Fall of 2020. 

FTR - I didn't come away from this look back on gamepass blown away by any means, but I think it's clear that #89 offers the ability to get open vs NFL defenses, and that could turn into production given more opportunity.

Young QBs tend to get a little overwhelmed.  His ability to avoid that despite having a line that blocked like a bunch of girl scouts last year made him a fan favorite.  It also meant he missed a lot of opportunities to make plays.  These clips confirm that without a doubt.  The good news is that he's got a year under his belt, and hopefully they will provide him with a better line to protect him next season.  With time, and the experience he developed this past season, I hope this will allow him to progress to the point where he won't miss so many open plays.  

Add in the fact that he and Oliver didn't get much of a shot to work together, it's not a shock that he wasn't exactly looking for him in any particular situations.

A lot of his improvisation reminded me of Brunell in the early days here.  The only difference is that Mark had a decent pair of receivers, and a stout line to play behind.  Hopefully Minshew makes significant strides this year to become the player most local fans hope he can develop into, and Oliver needs to make similar strides along with him.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(03-31-2020, 12:29 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: He has the potential to be a good player I think. He was pretty unlucky with his injury

We've had a lot of guys with potential in recent years.  It would be nice for a few of them to actually fulfill that for a change.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I've been pretty optimistic about Oliver and his talent, because he absolutely adds as another receiving threat.

Just hope his career isn't riddled by injuries.

(03-31-2020, 12:37 PM)MikePete54 Wrote:

So you're saying wait till 2021?

Confused

(03-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 12:37 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: Both are rookies and didnt played/practiced a lot together. 

So you're saying wait till 2021?

Confused

Big Grin  I knew someone was going to say this.
I hope they will be able to work together in June/July/August.

I'm more concerned by our Oline than by Minshew/Oliver.