Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Best LB to fit with Schobert and Jack?

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2020, 12:15 PM by Andy G.)

Of the various linebackers likely to be available in the draft (so let’s exclude Simmons) which ones would be the best fit with Schobert and Jack?

Is there any point picking someone like Queen or Murray for instance?  What about Baun?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think if Schobert starts in the middle, and Jack is weak side LB, then the other linebacker is only going to play 30% of the snaps. So that spot should be a pretty low priority compared to our other needs, and I wouldn't waste a high pick on it.

Good question and I look forward to to the answers from the resident board experts (and, of course, the ensuing fights over who's making stuff up and the demands to "prove it" or "link, please, I'll wait").

I don't know who in the draft is a Sam, a Mike or a Will. This will help. Our Sam is currently Leon Jacobs, correct?
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Jacob's was our best LB last year

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2020, 01:54 PM by Caldrac.)

Other than Simmons there's really not a single LB that I like in this draft at the moment to play outside. At least not in the 1st RD. Schobert should be good inside. Jack should excel back outside. Between Jacobs & Williams they might be able to make the opposite side of Jack work.

I would MAYBE take a chance on Willie Gay Jr. out of Mississippi St. though. He does have some off the field issues. But he's about on par with Jaylon Smith as far as athletic ability and experience across all of the LB positions goes. He's a fast dude at his size. He displayed very well at the combine and his play on the field matches that ability at the combine.

I wouldn't hesitate investing a 4TH RD pick on him. Low risk / high reward at that point. At the very least you could probably end up getting a good rotational guy with some special team's ability.

Inside backer wise though if they decide they need a back up plan for Schobert in case he doesn't pan out right away I did like Jordyn Brooks and Malik Harrison coming into this draft. Logan Wilson is another guy climbing up fast after his combine performance. And I also like Joe Bachie out of Michigan St. as a late round pick.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2020, 02:47 PM by Upper.)

Bachie on day 3 was going to be my suggestion as well. He could be a good base MLB and then Schobert and Jack can handle the majority of snaps in nickel.

Probably only looking for a rotational Sam and a backup Mike, so not until late would be my guess. Did sign Marsh and brought back Calitro so maybe they are fine with them as backups

Isaiah Simmons. I'm not taking anyone off the field on 3rd unless it's a specific sub package. My base sub-package would have all three guys. Simmons has some pass rush ability and allows your sub-package to get really creative because he can do so much.

If they take a LB early he's competing with Schobert and/or Jack for a start in 2020 or in 2021.

If they take one mid rounds or later he's probably a SAM prospect to compete with Jacobs. I doubt they target SAM in the draft before the 5th rd unless they plan to tweak their scheme to use all 3 LBs more frequently.

Jacobs is a fine player and I dont see a need to replace him.

After the Schobert signing I don't think LB will be touched before the 4th unless it's Simmons.

I'll echo Caldrac, Willie Gay will be an elite physical prospect that falls due to his issues...I think he shows good instincts and has everything you want in a LB BUT the kid sucker punched his QB after a Bowl Practice and fractured his Orbital bone so kid has some anger issues/issues in general. He was also suspended 8 games this year for having a tutor do coursework...don't know how much I'd hold that over his head. Just shows the kid isn't always the brightest.

I'd take a stab on day 3. Risky, high upside guys like him should be what we use our surplus of picks on IMO.

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/124...6527399937

Someone, other than me, may be interested to know that the Dr. Gary Waslewski mentioned in the Rapoport tweet above is the son of former Red Sox pitcher Gary Waslewski Sr. His claim to fame was, as a rookie in 1967, he was the surprise starter in Game 6 against the Cardinals, pitching 5.1 innings giving up 2 runs on 4 hits.

The Sox won that game to force a Game 7 which, alas, they lost.

On-topic: um, what was the topic?
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Going to agree with blue eye, after we signed Schobert I don't think we'll reach on one of the LB that can be had in the late first or early second.

The kid out of Cal, maybe Quarterman, but likely some guys with some speed that will be able to contribute early on ST, while developing into some roster depth

Since we still aren't actually sure if Myles Jack is any good I wouldn't hate a Willie Gay pick if he were around in the 3rd either. I think he's really good.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020, 05:10 PM by ATLjag.)

In general, the Jags like speed in their LBers, and the SAM role only sees the field about 30% of the defensive snaps. At SAM, Leon Jacobs has filled the role. He was a 7th round selection, as he needed development, but had excellent attributes in speed (4.48), power and strength. The team has invested into developing Jacobs, and I believe the arrow is pointing up for him with additional game experience. I would not draft for the SAM position, except for possibly adding speed in the backup role (Calitro and Marsh, unfortunately, have good instincts, but lack ideal athleticism and speed).