Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ben Bartch - Rd 4, Pick 116

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Cann to the bench
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-15-2020, 11:48 AM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/12...19233?s=19

He filled in OK when needed. I think Bartch has a legit shot to be starting RG at some point this season.

(05-15-2020, 11:48 AM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/12...19233?s=19

Glad they are doing something at RG besides rolling with Cann. 
Would prefer a Warford signing, but, guess I'll just have to hope another 4th round OL selection can earn a start. 
Richardson was #129 overall, Bartch was #116.  I hope the latest 4th round stab at upgrading an OL spot gets off to a better start than the last one.

Cann will most likely beat him out unfortunately, coaching staff loves him and Bartch will have a huge learning curve. Wouldn't be shocked if Cann was benched halfway through the year though

(05-15-2020, 12:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: Cann will most likely beat him out unfortunately, coaching staff loves him and Bartch will have a huge learning curve. Wouldn't be shocked if Cann was benched halfway through the year though

So you platoon a guy with Richardson at RG last year when you love him?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-15-2020, 12:16 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 12:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: Cann will most likely beat him out unfortunately, coaching staff loves him and Bartch will have a huge learning curve. Wouldn't be shocked if Cann was benched halfway through the year though

So you platoon a guy with Richardson at RG last year when you love him?

He's been bad forever and never had any comp or real chance of losing his job. They think he's a capable starter who struggles occasionally, couldn't even just bite the bullet and drop him last year as Richardson wasn't good either. 

So probably fairer to say the front office thinks he's a worthy starter but Doug and co like to big him up also

(05-15-2020, 12:24 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 12:16 PM)Rico Wrote: So you platoon a guy with Richardson at RG last year when you love him?

He's been bad forever and never had any comp or real chance of losing his job. They think he's a capable starter who struggles occasionally, couldn't even just bite the bullet and drop him last year as Richardson wasn't good either. 

So probably fairer to say the front office thinks he's a worthy starter but Doug and co like to big him up also

When asked about drafting O-Line positions before the draft Caldwell mentioned that there were prospects of value at RG and LT that they'd consider depending on how things fall. In a separate interview Marrone mentioned the same two spots when asked a similar question. 

I don't think either of them are as content (with Cann) as you are letting on, but Caldwell has indeed been too content addressing the spot for my taste. 
Marrone may be dying to bring in more talent at a number of spots that aren't being addressed adequately and we'd never know it from what he chooses to put out there.

(05-15-2020, 12:24 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 12:16 PM)Rico Wrote: So you platoon a guy with Richardson at RG last year when you love him?

If you say so.  You don't take a guy out of the game if you 'big him up'.  Whatever the [BLEEP] that means.

I like this move a lot.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-15-2020, 01:03 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 12:24 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's been bad forever and never had any comp or real chance of losing his job. They think he's a capable starter who struggles occasionally, couldn't even just bite the bullet and drop him last year as Richardson wasn't good either. 

If you say so.  You don't take a guy out of the game if you 'big him up'.  Whatever the [BLEEP] that means.

Indeed, if they loved Cann so much he wouldn't have split live game reps almost 50/50 on the year.

(05-15-2020, 12:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 12:24 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's been bad forever and never had any comp or real chance of losing his job. They think he's a capable starter who struggles occasionally, couldn't even just bite the bullet and drop him last year as Richardson wasn't good either. 

When asked about drafting O-Line positions before the draft Caldwell mentioned that there were prospects of value at RG and LT that they'd consider depending on how things fall. In a separate interview Marrone mentioned the same two spots when asked a similar question. 

I don't think either of them are as content (with Cann) as you are letting on, but Caldwell has indeed been too content addressing the spot for my taste. 
Marrone may be dying to bring in more talent at a number of spots that aren't being addressed adequately and we'd never know it from what he chooses to put out there.

It's nice to have someone to push Cam at LT. Richardson might just be a diamond in the rough at that spot. Continuing to rotate him at guard would hinder his ability to learn the LT position.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2020, 03:03 PM by JackCity.)

(05-15-2020, 01:03 PM)Rico Wrote:

What do you think it means?

(05-15-2020, 02:42 PM)Kane Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 01:03 PM)Rico Wrote: If you say so.  You don't take a guy out of the game if you 'big him up'.  Whatever the [BLEEP] that means.

Indeed, if they loved Cann so much he wouldn't have split live game reps almost 50/50 on the year.

They should have just benched him

(05-15-2020, 03:02 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 01:03 PM)Rico Wrote: If you say so.  You don't take a guy out of the game if you 'big him up'.  Whatever the [BLEEP] that means.

What do you think it means?

Something that they never did?  Am I close?

(05-15-2020, 03:15 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 03:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: What do you think it means?

Something that they never did?  Am I close?

He lavished praise on Cann after finally winning a job late in the season and said he improved greatly despite continued poor performance. He said Cann was playing the best football of his career after a bad season and followed it up with another horrible year. Caldwell pretty clearly doesn't care or thinks Cann is doing a good enough job too, despite being terrible almost every year

(05-15-2020, 04:21 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 03:15 PM)Rico Wrote: Something that they never did?  Am I close?

He lavished praise on Cann after finally winning a job late in the season and said he improved greatly despite continued poor performance. He said Cann was playing the best football of his career after a bad season and followed it up with another horrible year. Caldwell pretty clearly doesn't care or thinks Cann is doing a good enough job too, despite being terrible almost every year

Could you post some of that praise lavishing, because I can't find it.

(05-15-2020, 12:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Which is crazy because they missed all the spots where value was there at RG/LT.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2020, 12:34 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

Bartch will start.. RG is nowhere near as hard to play as Tackle... he will fill in just fine

(05-16-2020, 12:34 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Bartch will start.. RG is nowhere near as hard to play as Tackle... he will fill in just fine

I agree he'll eventually start at guard, but it will be very difficult for any rookie to start right away due to the pandemic. They likely won't have nearly as much time to practice and learn the system.

(05-16-2020, 02:36 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 12:34 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Bartch will start.. RG is nowhere near as hard to play as Tackle... he will fill in just fine

I agree he'll eventually start at guard, but it will be very difficult for any rookie to start right away due to the pandemic. They likely won't have nearly as much time to practice and learn the system.

Agreed. Especially for Bartch, who has only a few years experience playing OL against small school competition. He'll take a while to get up to speed, but when he does he has a super high ceiling.