Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Andy Dalton?

It’s been speculated for awhile now but now with his release official it seems to be growing legs:

https://twitter.com/wyche89/status/12559...79266?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For Vet minimum to be a backup QB/coach who knows the system, sure, maybe.
Outside of that? Nah.

(04-30-2020, 01:54 PM)Kane Wrote: For Vet minimum to be a backup QB/coach who knows the system, sure, maybe.
Outside of that? Nah.

Yeah, nah, because I like to lose.

Hell no. Hes the guy i like to see when the jags deffense is playing against him. Id rather have cam than the red rifle.

Lol weirdly enough I could see him somehow balling for us. Obviously I think Minshews better but I somehow feel like Dalton would be great in our offense

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2020, 02:26 PM by Caldrac.)

Makes a lot of sense. If he's brought here though it's to compete for the starting job. And I give credit to the staff and front office for trying to win. There's no guarantee with or without a change at QB that we would suck enough to land Lawrence next year anyway. And there's going to be trades involved no matter how you slice it. Just depends on how the entire season unfolds.

(04-30-2020, 02:23 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Lol weirdly enough I could see him somehow balling for us. Obviously I think Minshews better but I somehow feel like Dalton would be great in our offense

He would be great in our offense because he already knows the offense. He worked with Jay Gruden before he earned his job in Washington. We also have Tyler Eifert here and some promising receivers that can stretch the field and work the underneath game. 

He would be a nice insurance pick. And he would be a legit competitor to Minshew and/or mentor depending on who win's out. If Minshew out performs Dalton during training camp I think it's just that much more of a vote confidence for Minshew since Dalton already had the one up and then some on him with this offense in his past. 

Dalton would be hungry as hell to prove something after being replaced by Burrow. It's a good move if they pull it off. I want to see us win. Don't care how it's done. I just want to see us win.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It would be great if we bring him in imo, to mentor Minshew and also as competition. While he is not a great QB I think he is underrated.

If he goes to the Pats I think he will have his best season and he would lead them to the playoffs.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Yep.

(04-30-2020, 02:30 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: It would be great if we bring him in imo, to mentor Minshew and also as competition. While he is not a great QB I think he is underrated.

If he goes to the Pats I think he will have his best season and he would lead them to the playoffs.

There's no reason not to take a swing at him. He knows Gruden. He'll have Eifert. He's hungry to probably prove the Bengals made a mistake in moving on in favor of Burrow. And the Bengals are notorious for being cheap and taking too many risks on players with character issues. 

Is he Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes? No. But neither was Ryan Tannehill and he was just enough to get the tacks over the hill last year in the passing game. Andy Dalton could EASILY be this year's Ryan Tannehill. EASILY. 

I don't think he would pass up on a chance to play for Belichick and the Patriots though. And there's already a report out there that they're interested in him. It'll probably come down to money, comfort, location and probabilities of starting. And you would think his odds of starting are higher in New England. 

But we probably have everything else to offer him.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-30-2020, 02:23 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Lol weirdly enough I could see him somehow balling for us. Obviously I think Minshews better but I somehow feel like Dalton would be great in our offense

Mixed feelings. I think he's currently better than Minshew, based on how Dalton came on strong last year. That said, I would want him firmly planted on the bench so Minshew can develop since it's not a Super Bowl year. I don't think Minshew needs a tutor. He's a smart guy, and his college offense was WCO to the core. 

Only play Dalton if Minshew gets injured early. But if Minshew proves by midseason that he's not the answer, go with Luton for the Lose for Lawrence/Fields win!
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

IF he is affordable, why not?  If minshew gets hurt or tanks, Dalton is atleast a capable backup.   Win/Win
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Do it.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(04-30-2020, 01:54 PM)Kane Wrote: For Vet minimum to be a backup QB/coach who knows the system, sure, maybe.
Outside of that? Nah.

for anything more than the vet minimum (maybe like 3 mil. max if there's minimal guaranteed) I think having a vet for Minshew to lean on isn't the worst thing, especially one who knows Gruden's offense inside and out. But if it's a "competition" and they choose to start Dalton it's obvious they're tanking. As long as Dalton KNOWS he's being brought in as a backup and nothing more i'm alright with it, but I think Dobbs might have more to offer than Dalton at this point, and Dobbs is an enigma.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Wouldn't hate it
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

So let me get this straight. Coming off a season where we had an OC and QB that won a SB together and knew the system and all that stuff but because of Minshew it got all messed up.

We now what to do THE EXACT SAME THING with Gruden and Dalton??! 

You think Dalton wants to sit behind a 6th round QB in his 2nd season? Hell no, he'll want to start and he does know Grudens system....

(04-30-2020, 03:16 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So let me get this straight. Coming off a season where we had an OC and QB that won a SB together and knew the system and all that stuff but because of Minshew it got all messed up.

We now what to do THE EXACT SAME THING with Gruden and Dalton??! 

You think Dalton wants to sit behind a 6th round QB in his 2nd season? Hell no, he'll want to start and he does know Grudens system....

In fairness, DeFilippo was NOT the OC when Foles was Super Bowl MVP.

Frank Reich was.

But I get your point.

That said, given his health and experience in Gruden's system, he's the best QB option currently available for the Jaguars.

Even assuming Cam Newton is completely healthy (a dubious assumption given by his own admission, he couldn't throw more than 30 yards in 2018, only played two games last year, and the team was willing to let him go this year), the fact is he doesn't know the offense, and this is an offseason that has been messed up due to the corona virus.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Definitely yes, at the right price. It would be good to have him in the quarterback room helping with Minshew's development.

Bold take. Dalton is better than Foles.

Unlikely. If he decided to take a backup role if no chances to start around the league? Yes. One year deal.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2020, 03:39 PM by Caldrac.)

(04-30-2020, 03:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bold take. Dalton is better than Foles.

That's not bold. That's mild. Foles caught lightning in a bottle once with the perfect supporting cast and coach willing to gamble. He's more lucky if anything. Outside of that superbowl run and that great TD:INT year with Chip Kelly he's just been a guy. 

Dalton has proven to be somewhat consistent in spite of playing for a cheaply ran franchise and within a very tough AFC North division that was always going back and forth between Pittsburgh and Baltimore for supremacy. 

Daltons track record or three year stint I believe with Gruden is a lot more promising on paper than whatever it was Foles and Flip thought they shared.