Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Alex Smith Story

Interesting and scary story.  First time I've heard this.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I saw a pic of his leg last night after his injury. Wow. It's a miracle they were able to save his leg. I'm glad that they were able to do that and he is tough. I don't know if he'll ever be able to return to football, but I admire his fight.

Anyone else read about all the similarities toTheisman’s injury? Like same yard line, same score, same quarter as his happened? I forgot all the details since it’s been a while.. spooky stuff. Almost like that franchise has some kind of curse on it

Just watched this. This is an amazing comeback story about a guy who could have easily died due to the severe infection he had following his first surgery. I hope he decides to NOT attempt to return to playing football again. Why risk another injury after what he has been through. He has earned enough money to never have to worry about security for his family. Seeing this injury makes me appreciate the risks which NFL players take on. Yes, they are grossly overpaid compared to most professions (teachers, for example), but there is no denying the possibility that they are risking a lifetime of pain following their retirement. I'd recommend everyone watch this inspiring story on ESPN.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020, 08:21 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(05-02-2020, 04:57 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Anyone else read about all the similarities toTheisman’s  injury?  Like same yard line, same score, same quarter as his happened? I forgot all the details since it’s been a while.. spooky stuff. Almost like that franchise has some kind of curse on it

Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith was lost for the season on Sunday when he broke his tibia and fibula on a scary, freak tackle by J.J. Watt and Kareem Copeland. Smith, who was immediately in devastating pain, was quickly carted off the field and was reportedly headed to surgery just minutes after his team’s comeback bid fell short.
Anytime a quarterback breaks his leg on the field, NFL fans of a certain age think of former ‘Skins quarterback Joe Theismann, who suffered a gruesome broken leg during a Monday Night Football game in 1985. When the same thing happened to another Redskins quarterback, the callback was even more instantaneous. But the connection between Alex Smith and Joe Theismann gets far more eerie than that.

Joe Theismann broke his right tibia and fibula on Nov. 18, 1985 in a game in Washington that ended 23-21. The only three-time Defensive Player of the Year Lawrence Taylor was involved in the injury, which occurred around the 40-yard line. Theismann’s Pro Bowl left tackle, Joe Jacoby, wasn’t on the field due to injury.

Alex Smith broke his right tibia and fibula on Nov. 18, 2018 in a game in Washington that ended 23-21. The only other three-time Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt was involved in the injury, which occurred around the 40-yard line. Smith’s Pro Bowl left tackle, Trent Williams, wasn’t on the field due to injury.

The biggest difference, the Redskins lost Sunday’s game but won in 1985. Not that it matters much.

That is some wird stuff
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(05-02-2020, 08:19 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 04:57 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Anyone else read about all the similarities toTheisman’s  injury?  Like same yard line, same score, same quarter as his happened? I forgot all the details since it’s been a while.. spooky stuff. Almost like that franchise has some kind of curse on it

Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith was lost for the season on Sunday when he broke his tibia and fibula on a scary, freak tackle by J.J. Watt and Kareem Copeland. Smith, who was immediately in devastating pain, was quickly carted off the field and was reportedly headed to surgery just minutes after his team’s comeback bid fell short.
Anytime a quarterback breaks his leg on the field, NFL fans of a certain age think of former ‘Skins quarterback Joe Theismann, who suffered a gruesome broken leg during a Monday Night Football game in 1985. When the same thing happened to another Redskins quarterback, the callback was even more instantaneous. But the connection between Alex Smith and Joe Theismann gets far more eerie than that.

Joe Theismann broke his right tibia and fibula on Nov. 18, 1985 in a game in Washington that ended 23-21. The only three-time Defensive Player of the Year Lawrence Taylor was involved in the injury, which occurred around the 40-yard line. Theismann’s Pro Bowl left tackle, Joe Jacoby, wasn’t on the field due to injury.

Alex Smith broke his right tibia and fibula on Nov. 18, 2018 in a game in Washington that ended 23-21. The only other three-time Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt was involved in the injury, which occurred around the 40-yard line. Smith’s Pro Bowl left tackle, Trent Williams, wasn’t on the field due to injury.

The biggest difference, the Redskins lost Sunday’s game but won in 1985. Not that it matters much.

That is some wird stuff
Wow, that really is weird! So many similarities in the 2 injuries.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2020, 08:29 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

First start since the injury he set a career high in passing yards. Thrown for 715 yards his last 2 games, looks like hes back

(11-16-2020, 08:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: First start since the injury he set a career high in passing yards.  Thrown for 715 yards his last 2 games, looks like hes back

What jumped out as much as anything watching Alex Smith against the Lions was his resolve.  Smith missed some open receivers and on some other plays teammates made costly mistakes.  Regardless what happened previously, Smith played like a confident field general.  Thankfully on this end,  his team came up short at the end of the game. But Smith proved he's even more than a feel good story.  

This guy's gotta have an ironclad force of will.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2020, 08:18 AM by RicoTx.)

Granted I don't have access to the medical professionals he did/does and I'm not a professional athlete, but I have some sort of understanding of what he went through as I had similar injury.  Walking just felt weird for a good 6-8 months and I still have to just think about running/jogging.  I can't imagine a bunch of 300 linemen trying to tackle me at the same time.  And the damn thing still doesn't feel quite right.

(11-19-2020, 08:01 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Granted I don't have access to the medical professionals he did/does and I'm not a professional athlete, but I have some sort of understanding of what he went through as I had similar injury.  Walking just felt weird for a good 6-8 months and I still have to just think about running/jogging.  I can't imagine a bunch of 300 linemen trying to tackle me at the same time.  And the damn thing still doesn't feel quite right.

You had a break like THAT? No MRSA I hope! That looked completely terrifying.

They left out another astronomical similarity between the two injuries..  Out of all the thousands of players who have played defense in the NFL history, there's only been two players who were 3x DPOY winners.. Lawrence Taylor and J.J. Watt..

Seriously, you probably have better odds of winning the Powerball than all of these circumstances happening twice.. it's like getting struck by lightning twice.

(11-19-2020, 02:50 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 08:01 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Granted I don't have access to the medical professionals he did/does and I'm not a professional athlete, but I have some sort of understanding of what he went through as I had similar injury.  Walking just felt weird for a good 6-8 months and I still have to just think about running/jogging.  I can't imagine a bunch of 300 linemen trying to tackle me at the same time.  And the damn thing still doesn't feel quite right.

You had a break like THAT? No MRSA I hope! That looked completely terrifying.

Dislocated and broke my ankle.  Foot was not pointing the correct direction.  Kinda flopping.  I have all kinds of new hardware and the damn thing constantly swells up for no good reason.  His was obviously worse...I'm just saying I can relate.

I heard him doing an interview last year sometime where he was saying how he had to 'learn to run again'.  I probably wouldn't have understood that before.

(11-19-2020, 05:18 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 02:50 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: You had a break like THAT? No MRSA I hope! That looked completely terrifying.

Dislocated and broke my ankle.  Foot was not pointing the correct direction.  Kinda flopping.  I have all kinds of new hardware and the damn thing constantly swells up for no good reason.  His was obviously worse...I'm just saying I can relate.

I heard him doing an interview last year sometime where he was saying how he had to 'learn to run again'.  I probably wouldn't have understood that before.

Oh yeah, I remember your ankle. I thought you meant similar like a spiral leg fracture similar. 

My brother broke his femur many years ago, had like an 18-inch pin in there for years. Never really had a straight gait again.

Alex Smith is a boss. Super underrated and under appreciated. Doesn’t have that killer instinct but is a damn solid QB and a good dude. I’ll always root for him. He’s been through so much. When it’s all said and done, his story will be legendary.