Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags post 2020 draft record predictions?

(05-06-2020, 10:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Assuming Big Ben comes back n full health, their offense if much better than ours.  Much better offensive line, better TE, offensive continuity.  L

Bears, their front 7 is formidable.  I shudder to think of Taylor trying to block Mack in long yardage situations.  Their offense has been meh for the majority of my life.  It's about the closest to immutable truth you can get from football.  LOL.  I think it would depend on when we played them.  With new schemes on both sides of the ball, if we played them early, we lose, but I think if we played them later in the year we'd have a better chance against them.  L for now.

Lions never seem to be able to put things together for an entire season.  Do we play them up there?  If we play them in Detroit, we lose.  If we play them here, we can win.

Browns?  To me, we have nobody who can block Myles Garrett and nobody who could cover OBJ.  Loss

Dolphins?  I think it'll depend on when we play them, but I see it just the opposite as the Bears.  I think early on we beat them, but later in the year we lose.  Their defense should be much better than it has been in a while.

We lose all of the Packers, Vikings and Ravens.

Bengals wion't be as bad as people think.  Their OL should be better now that Jonah Williams will (should) be healthy.

Chargers?  TThe only thing that might keep the game from being a blowout loss for us is their QB situation.  Tyrod Taylor is so risk averse you don't really have to worry much about him making big plays with his arm, and if Herbert is playing, he is a rookie with questionable mechanics/head.  But I don't see us moving the ball on that defense.  L

We go maybe 1-5 in the division.

4-12...5-11 tops.

I reserve the right to revise on tomorrow when the schedule is announced.

I agree in that this is almost exactly how I see the season playing out, for now.  We'll take 1 or 2 from the division and have chances vs. Detroit/Cincinnati/Miami.  Roughly 2-14 to 5-11, final record.

Anything better than that and I'll be feeling pretty good about this team's future, because it'll mean we have aquired players able to overcome our shortcomings in coaching.

I'd still want to see upgrades to the coaching staff, regardless.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-06-2020, 08:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 08:21 PM)Protozoa Wrote: I don`t care what our record is as long as Minshew shows hes the real deal and we don`t have to mess with drafting a QB and can just use all our picks next year to fill out our roster.
Obviously this is ideal but just not likely. If Minshew plays really well, wouldn’t that lead to Jags wins?

Not if the defense gives up more points than the other teams.

As I said previously, I expect our offense (which didn't lose anything but did gain some in the offseason) to improve.
And our defense was pretty much trash last year with Calais and AJ Bouye, so I don't think losing those guys is really going to kill us in the way you doom and gloomers think.

We didn't have Ramsey for most of the year. We didn't have Dareus most of the year. Allen didn't get nearly as many snaps as he deserved because of Yan and Calais and he being a rookie.
Yan might actually still suit up for us this year, it isn't a forgone conclusion that he's going to sit out.

With just an average defense we should be able to at least compete with .500 and sub .500 teams. And as "tough" as our schedule looks on paper right now, I see plenty of those teams.
Will teams like Packers, Raven, and Vikings beat us easily? Yeah, probably.
But the Lions, Bears, Browns, Bengals (even with Joe Burrow), River-less Chargers, Dolphins... they aren't scaring anyone.

And to think that we're going to go 0-6 in division is just asinine.
Those games, no matter how bad the teams are on either side, tend to be closer hard fought games. And the tinhorns didn't get better this off season.

(05-06-2020, 07:46 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 07:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wanted Wash gone after 2018 - but...
Wash's scheme has worked well in spurts in the past. 
It required a high percentage of top tier talent starting in multiple spots to do it and that's a problem. Anyway -  it's not really that "suddenly" it will work. The surprise would be that it would work with 4 or 4 or 5 new key players including 2 or 3 rookies. 

More importantly, what scheme are we going to see exactly? 
Clearly they want to use more 3-4 looks than they have previously - so the front 7 will have some degree of facelift happening. How much and how often is still unclear.  The secondary will have new faces and I wonder if we see some tweaks there as well. 

Alas -  I don't see this transitional year defense being a catalyst for very many wins.  They might find a way to "keep it close" in 6 or 7 contests, but I'd guess it'll have to be up to the offense to scrape ahead in most games in 2020 if they are gonna' have a chance.

The fact Wade Phillips is sitting at home without a job and Wash has one....thats a whole different rant!

Ive seen a lot of talk of us shifting to use 3-4 looks more as well. I havent seen Wash or any of the coaches say anything about a complete change so not sure if its analysts guessing or official. Would they switch to it more for run or pass D? I think we have players that could switch to 3-4 pretty easily.

As for Wash, if he can't get it better this year, hes got no argument left. Give him a D stacked with 1st round picks and big ticket FA and it looks good. I think most of us could do that!

Aside from marrone saying the base will be a 3-4 or odd front with the SAM lining up on the ball, most of the team's defensive acquisitions this offseason have been to facilitate that transition.

Gunter, Woods, Chaisson, Hamilton and Lynch are all perfect 3-4 fits.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 10:14 AM by JagFan81.)

(05-06-2020, 07:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 07:46 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: The fact Wade Phillips is sitting at home without a job and Wash has one....thats a whole different rant!

Ive seen a lot of talk of us shifting to use 3-4 looks more as well. I havent seen Wash or any of the coaches say anything about a complete change so not sure if its analysts guessing or official. Would they switch to it more for run or pass D? I think we have players that could switch to 3-4 pretty easily.

As for Wash, if he can't get it better this year, hes got no argument left. Give him a D stacked with 1st round picks and big ticket FA and it looks good. I think most of us could do that!

It's starting to sound like they primarily just want to go 3-4 on base downs vs the run so that they can put three space eaters up front and let 4 athletic LBs flow to the ball.  Marrone has certainly lent credit to that theory. It seems like almost a desperation move after struggling to stop the run so badly last year.

I dont hate that idea in theory. If you could get say Smoot, Harrison and Woods inside with Yan (hopefully) and Allen outside, Jack and Schobert just need to follow the direction of the run. Could give us a better chance at stopping the run getting into 2nd level where they are gone.

Im guessing it gives them flexibility. If they think they can get home with 3 they can or give them the option of sending 4 or 5. If we can get guys like Taven to be a bit more disruptive with run D then Wash could really be able to disguise between 3-4 and 4-3 and how many guys are coming. That was our main problem with Poz. When he was on the field, you knew we were in run D.

(05-07-2020, 09:27 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 07:46 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: The fact Wade Phillips is sitting at home without a job and Wash has one....thats a whole different rant!

Aside from marrone saying the base will be a 3-4 or odd front with the SAM lining up on the ball, most of the team's defensive acquisitions this offseason have been to facilitate that transition.

Gunter, Woods, Chaisson, Hamilton and Lynch  are all perfect 3-4 fits.

Thanks, i wasnt sure if there was an 'official' change if you know what i mean but i dont hate trying something.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 11:08 AM by mal234.)

I hope that the Jags win more games than they did last year. I think it's possible, even if it's only one more game.

I think that a lot of people are really down on the Jags right now, for various reasons. And the pessimistic predictions against the Jags feels very heavy handed. I do think that a lot of people, (especially the media) is overexaggerating about this team's ability to win games.. I think that the league is more solid than it's been in a bit at the starting QB position and the media is bored and going in extra hard on the Jags. (Who they usually don't pay a lot of attention to). Gardner is one of the newest/youngest starting QB's in the league and it feels like they are targeting him/the Jags in general right now.

Other people (including some Jags fans) are hoping that the Jags perform poorly so they can get Trevor Lawrence. Though, there is no guarantee that will happen even if the team plays poorly. the NFL is unpredictable and anything can happen in this league. Teams that are predicted to do well can do poorly, and teams that are predicted to do poorly can do well. Teams can also start out playing poorly, but ended up playing well down the stretch (like Miami did last season) and that could affect their draft position as well. You never know what may happen with this league.

I also think some people are being deliberately pessimistic, as to not get their hopes up high with this team. But I've seen people say stuff like the team is going to only win two games and I think that is a bit much. This team was worse off last year offensively and they still managed to win six games. And if Gardner had started the entire season, I think they could have won at least seven or eight games.

I could see Gruden helping the offense more than the Deflippo did last year and I hope and think he will create an offense that caters to Gardner's strengths. DJ Chark made a nice step last year and I hope he will continue to get better. He had several impressive plays last year, I could see him building on that. Gardner is and has been working hard since early February training in places like Naples and Mississippi. He's gotten bulkier and is working to get faster and stronger. I definitely hope and think he could show more growth this year as a QB.Maybe he can play even freer knowing that the starting job is his to lose this season, instead of being thrust into the starting job last season unexpectedly and having the QB controversy regarding Nick Foles.

The team has also made some good new additions in players like Chaisson. This team is young, but I do think some of the players they added will be good additions for them. And it helps that the young players in general want to be here. Chaisson seems like he really wants to be here. So does Laviska Shenault. They are going to play hard for this team, along with players like Gardner and DJ. Yan doesn't want to be here, but I think there is a chance he plays. I've seen him on the miced up/behind the scenes footage that the Jags youtube channel always post and he wants to compete/win. I don't think he pulls a Jalen and tries to sit out for a lot of games. Jalen didn't care one way or the other. I do think that Yan may play even if he is disgruntled. I think he will ultimately play, especially if the team starts stringing together some wins.

The schedule is definitely harder than last year, but I don't think this team is as bad as people are trying to make them out to be. They could win at least seven games. Hopefully better.

Minshew is our guy.
Fournette has to prove himself
Chark is a Pro Bowl WR
Shenault is going to be fun to watch
Chassion is a gamer and will have an impact
Allen is a stud
Hamilton will earn his stripes like Pot Roast did
Henderson is the key on defense
We got some safety competition
We got more TE help than last year by a mile
Linder is still a superior offensive lineman
Robinson will be a year better
Yan will have to prove it one more time
Myles Jack is still a stud at LB
The LB from Cle will help a ton

We have the ingredients of a solid team. It’s your average run of the mill NFL team. Everybody is good in the NFL. It all comes down to Minshew Mania baby.

A Good QB can make an average team look good. He will have this fan base turned up. We got as good a shot as any other team.

We ain’t laying down for anybody. They gotta earn it.

If 1-4 wins gets you Lawrence/Fields and 9-16 wins gets you into the playoffs, then I see the Jags winning 5-8 games lol.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 08:29 AM by mal234.)

(05-07-2020, 11:53 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Minshew is our guy.
Fournette has to prove himself
Chark is a Pro Bowl WR
Shenault is going to be fun to watch
Chassion is a gamer and will have an impact
Allen is a stud
Hamilton will earn his stripes like Pot Roast did
Henderson is the key on defense
We got some safety competition
We got more TE help than last year by a mile
Linder is still a superior offensive lineman
Robinson will be a year better
Yan will have to prove it one more time
Myles Jack is still a stud at LB
The LB from Cle will help a ton

We have the ingredients of a solid team. It’s your average run of the mill NFL team. Everybody is good in the NFL. It all comes down to Minshew Mania baby.

A Good QB can make an average team look good. He will have this fan base turned up. We got as good a shot as any other team.

We ain’t laying down for anybody. They gotta earn it.

James O’Shaughnessy rehabbing is also going well and he's on track to return this upcoming season. He was featured in an article the other day, talking about how he felt good about his recovery process, and that he feels like he belongs on the Jags. He said that for the first time in his career he felt like he really belonged on a team and was really contributing to a team's success. He also mentioned his chemistry with Gardner. He says that he loves Gardner and enjoys playing with him/being around him.

He also mentioned that the rookie tailback from ISU James Robinson that signed with the Jags after the draft has reached out to him. He's going to help mentor him. James seems optimistic, is looking forward to next season and wants to be here. Like many of the other players on your list. That's another good sign for this team.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colleg...3174d.html

(05-08-2020, 08:23 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: If 1-4 wins gets you Lawrence/Fields and 9-16 wins gets you into the playoffs, then I see the Jags winning 5-8 games lol.

Sigh, I hate how accurate this is, lol

(05-08-2020, 08:14 PM)Iason Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 08:23 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: If 1-4 wins gets you Lawrence/Fields and 9-16 wins gets you into the playoffs, then I see the Jags winning 5-8 games lol.

Sigh, I hate how accurate this is, lol

#becausejaguars

I can see two teams going 2-14 and getting Lawrence/Feields, and the Jags picking 3rd with a 3-13 record.   Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

(05-09-2020, 07:47 AM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 08:14 PM)Iason Wrote: Sigh, I hate how accurate this is, lol

#becausejaguars

I can see two teams going 2-14 and getting Lawrence/Feields, and the Jags picking 3rd with a 3-13 record.   Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.
Sewell is a heck of a consolation prize.

If we don’t improve our offensive line, we won’t win games. Trust me on that.

I'm curiously optimistic. I think this year playing style will be geared towards quicker reads on Offense. Therefore having a line able to hold up in pass blocking will be a little less important. They'll want more athleticism. I also think speed/quickness will be a point of emphasis on Defense. What I mean is gearing alignments more so to the strength of players in order to more quickly read and react. Is this the year we go more towards a 3-4? It's looking that way. The schedule looks a little on the weak side so I'll venture to say we go at least .500.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I think we get to 8-8 as well

I hope Minshew is the guy..

https://twitter.com/A_Train_92/status/12...2467611654
No Fun

I think most who wonder why people like myself are predicting a terrible season for the Jags are missing the point. This isn't about NOT believing in Minshew. This is about the complete trash offensive line and coaching staff. I think we could have anyone at QB and it really wouldn't matter with this O-line/coaching. I feel real bad for Minshew the kid is going to get wrecked this season.

(05-10-2020, 01:08 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I think most who wonder why people like myself are predicting a terrible season for the Jags are missing the point. This isn't about NOT believing in Minshew. This is about the complete trash offensive line and coaching staff. I think we could have anyone at QB and it really wouldn't matter with this O-line/coaching. I feel real bad for Minshew the kid is going to get wrecked this season.

Honest question for you and everyone else who holds this opinion. 

Will it be worse than last season? Why or why not?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-10-2020, 01:08 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I think most who wonder why people like myself are predicting a terrible season for the Jags are missing the point. This isn't about NOT believing in Minshew. This is about the complete trash offensive line and coaching staff. I think we could have anyone at QB and it really wouldn't matter with this O-line/coaching. I feel real bad for Minshew the kid is going to get wrecked this season.

They had the exact same line last year.  He didn't get killed last year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-10-2020, 01:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Honest question for you and everyone else who holds this opinion. 

Will it be worse than last season? Why or why not?

I'm not prognosticating it will be worse than last year, but it's difficult to be optimistic about the line.

Why?
  • Cam Robinson may or may not improve more removed from injury. If pressed - I'd wager meager improvement still resulting in too many pressures and sacks to move forward as a starter. 
  • AJ Cann is not good enough to be considered a solid starter in this league -  and there's little hope to push him unless Richardson makes a leap or the newly drafted 4th round tackle is moved to guard and proves an upgrade. Chances feel slim either way. 
  • Will Norwell stop performing inexplicable protection whiffs ~3 times every other week?  I doubt it. Maybe? 
  • Warhop. An O-Line coach with a horrible track record of under-performing lines left behind him for many years. Difficult to have faith that he magically finds a winning formula at 58 y.o.

(05-10-2020, 02:14 PM)Rico Wrote:

They had the exact same line last year.  He didn't get killed last year.

He was forced to throw off script due to pressure too often. 
It's great that he's so good at doing that, it's a rare skill.  But I'd love to see the kid get a chance to make 2-3 reads and hit a receiver that's coming out of a break as scripted more often. 
 The off script scrambles and decent completion % from them need to be icing and not the bulk of the cake, IMO. He's not getting the time needed to shift that dynamic.  

If he were less mobile and had middling pocket presence he very well may have gotten "killed" last year.