Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags post 2020 draft record predictions?

(05-10-2020, 01:08 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I think most who wonder why people like myself are predicting a terrible season for the Jags are missing the point. This isn't about NOT believing in Minshew. This is about the complete trash offensive line and coaching staff. I think we could have anyone at QB and it really wouldn't matter with this O-line/coaching. I feel real bad for Minshew the kid is going to get wrecked this season.

Why do you think it's going to be worse than last year? Same line, better offensive weapons, another year in the system. Doesn't make sense.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-10-2020, 02:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 02:14 PM)Rico Wrote: They had the exact same line last year.  He didn't get killed last year.

He was forced to throw off script due to pressure too often. 
It's great that he's so good at doing that, it's a rare skill.  But I'd love to see the kid get a chance to make 2-3 reads and hit a receiver that's coming out of a break as scripted more often. 
 The off script scrambles and decent completion % from them need to be icing and not the bulk of the cake, IMO. He's not getting the time needed to shift that dynamic.  

If he were less mobile and had middling pocket presence he very well may have gotten "killed" last year.

Meh, yes and no.  

I'm not saying it never happened but there were several times when he seemed to get too antsy, too quick, back there.  That could also improve with another year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-10-2020, 03:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 01:08 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I think most who wonder why people like myself are predicting a terrible season for the Jags are missing the point. This isn't about NOT believing in Minshew. This is about the complete trash offensive line and coaching staff. I think we could have anyone at QB and it really wouldn't matter with this O-line/coaching. I feel real bad for Minshew the kid is going to get wrecked this season.

Why do you think it's going to be worse than last year? Same line, better offensive weapons, another year in the system. Doesn't make sense.
It’s actually a brand new system.

Supposed better weapons.

Same line that stinks.

Again. They could have all the “maybes” become “yeses” but that’s unlikely.

Maybe the line gets better. Maybe Minshew improves. Maybe Gruden has an offense that fits this group. Maybe Eifert becomes old Eifert. Maybe Wash actually plays to his players strengths. Maybe everyone stays healthy.

But maybe history repeats itself and the Jags continue to play bad football like they have in 9 of the last 10 years.

I see this as a 4-6 win team with a chance to over achieve if a couple of breaks go their way.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(05-10-2020, 03:33 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 02:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He was forced to throw off script due to pressure too often. 
It's great that he's so good at doing that, it's a rare skill.  But I'd love to see the kid get a chance to make 2-3 reads and hit a receiver that's coming out of a break as scripted more often. 
 The off script scrambles and decent completion % from them need to be icing and not the bulk of the cake, IMO. He's not getting the time needed to shift that dynamic.  

If he were less mobile and had middling pocket presence he very well may have gotten "killed" last year.

Meh, yes and no.  

I'm not saying it never happened but there were several times when he seemed to get too antsy, too quick, back there.  That could also improve with another year.

I saw that happening more in the latter half of the season and believe it to be a rookie's response to being flushed early too many times for the several weeks prior.

(05-10-2020, 01:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Honest question for you and everyone else who holds this opinion. 

Will it be worse than last season? Why or why not?

This offensive line isn’t a fine wine that gets better with age, this one is deteriorating. I feel like Taylor and Cam are out of position to be honest, they have stone feet. They could be monsters at guard. Cam (when healthy) is awful man, like the guy is a turnstile at LT. RG is slated to be a battle between the smoothie king and Cann, it doesnt look good. Norwell  and Linder are solid, but aren’t line saviors. 

We switched back to Minshew mid season not because he threw the ball better or read defenses quicker... it’s because he was able to run away from the countless defenders running at him. He was battered as the season went on. He started wearing a knee brace and his groin was tweaked. Despite this, they did nothing but draft a smoothie king 4th round. 

In addition, sophomore slumps are real and expectations should be tempered. We saw once defenses started to figure out Minshews tendencies toward the end of the season he was below average as a QB. I’m not placing blame on him, that’s expected for a rookie... but I sure do hope people realize developing QBs is something that takes time. Defenses now have a full offseason to prepare for Minshew and there is no additions in this offense. What we saw happening last season is once the defense took away Minshews first read he has no idea what to do (it also doesn’t help he was always scrambling -my first gripe). 

My expectations are low, in part because they should be and also they did NOTHING to help this offensive line. So I expect him to be scrambling all the time. Running game is average. Chark is the only current threat, maybe Oliver emerges. 

This team isn’t conforming to an offensive driven league and these teams that have low marketability seem to get penalized more. Call it a hate for the Jags or whatever, but I look at it a tad different than the “NFL hates Jags” story. 

The focus should have been providing Minshew with the most optimal surroundings for much NEEDED growth at the QB position. It wasn’t put there... so time will tell if it was a mistake or not. But I keep seeing people misunderstanding the low expectations for the team tied to Minshew, when really it’s the FO and the offensive line that are the issue.

(05-10-2020, 05:43 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 01:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Honest question for you and everyone else who holds this opinion. 

This offensive line isn’t a fine wine that gets better with age, this one is deteriorating. I feel like Taylor and Cam are out of position to be honest, they have stone feet. They could be monsters at guard. Cam (when healthy) is awful man, like the guy is a turnstile at LT. RG is slated to be a battle between the smoothie king and Cann, it doesnt look good. Norwell  and Linder are solid, but aren’t line saviors. 

We switched back to Minshew mid season not because he threw the ball better or read defenses quicker... it’s because he was able to run away from the countless defenders running at him. He was battered as the season went on. He started wearing a knee brace and his groin was tweaked. Despite this, they did nothing but draft a smoothie king 4th round. 

In addition, sophomore slumps are real and expectations should be tempered. We saw once defenses started to figure out Minshews tendencies toward the end of the season he was below average as a QB. I’m not placing blame on him, that’s expected for a rookie... but I sure do hope people realize developing QBs is something that takes time. Defenses now have a full offseason to prepare for Minshew and there is no additions in this offense. What we saw happening last season is once the defense took away Minshews first read he has no idea what to do (it also doesn’t help he was always scrambling -my first gripe). 

My expectations are low, in part because they should be and also they did NOTHING to help this offensive line. So I expect him to be scrambling all the time. Running game is average. Chark is the only current threat, maybe Oliver emerges. 

This team isn’t conforming to an offensive driven league and these teams that have low marketability seem to get penalized more. Call it a hate for the Jags or whatever, but I look at it a tad different than the “NFL hates Jags” story. 

The focus should have been providing Minshew with the most optimal surroundings for much NEEDED growth at the QB position. It wasn’t put there... so time will tell if it was a mistake or not. But I keep seeing people misunderstanding the low expectations for the team tied to Minshew, when really it’s the FO and the offensive line that are the issue.

I agree with the sentiments that we did not do enough to help minshew. I was thinking we needed to draft more offensively early, but I obviously hope I was wrong. A guard in free agency would be a priority for me right now.

(05-10-2020, 03:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 03:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Why do you think it's going to be worse than last year? Same line, better offensive weapons, another year in the system. Doesn't make sense.
It’s actually a brand new system.

Supposed better weapons.

Same line that stinks.

Maybe the line gets better. Maybe Minshew improves. Maybe Gruden has an offense that fits this group. Maybe Eifert becomes old Eifert. Maybe Wash actually plays to his players strengths. Maybe everyone stays healthy.

But maybe history repeats itself and the Jags continue to play bad football like they have in 9 of the last 10 years.

So basically you're seeing everything going wrong. I guess it could, it does sometimes for teams but I don't see that happening in our case. None of that will likely get them into the playoffs but difficult to see how this team goes from a 6-10 to a 2-14 team when they're better than they were last year offensively. I don't think I've ever seen Jag Fan be this pessimistic. I gotta think it's a little bit of kicked-dog syndrome.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-10-2020, 06:12 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 03:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: It’s actually a brand new system.

Supposed better weapons.

Same line that stinks.

So basically you're seeing everything going wrong. I guess it could, it does sometimes for teams but I don't see that happening in our case. None of that will likely get them into the playoffs but difficult to see how this team goes from a 6-10 to a 2-14 team when they're better than they were last year offensively. I don't think I've ever seen Jag Fan be this pessimistic. I gotta think it's a little bit of kicked-dog syndrome.
I think it’s more about being realistic as opposed to optimistic this time around.

Talked ourselves into Foles being the answer. That the defense could carry Bortles forever. That Bortles would take another step after the AFCCG. That Fournette is the next AP. We’ve been down this road too many times to say “hey! This is the year guys! We got it!”

i'd predict something like 17th-22nd ranked offense , 25th-32nd in defense. 4-6 wins

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2020, 09:07 PM by mal234.)

I do wish they would have done a bit more to help him offensively Minshew offensively in the draft (like find him better protection), but even with that the offense is poised to be in a better position than it was last year. I think that the offense may end up being better this year. Gruden will end up tailoring an offense to Gardner's strengths and they have more weapons. I'm looking forward to seeing how Gruden helps Gardner and the offense.

(05-10-2020, 01:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Honest question for you and everyone else who holds this opinion. 

Excellent post. 

This is a big part of why im worried. The other reason i have is this O really struggled moving the ball and scoring points last season. The W's mainly came from Minshew making something happen.

Its the endless dumb penalties, holding, false start, hands to face. The moment we fell to 1st and 20 and turned 2nd and 7 into 2nd and 17, we really struggled to get a 1st down. We really struggled putting 2 or 3 1st downs together let alone scoring drives. When we got to the RZ we stalled way too many times. How many times did we get stopped at the goaline?

Now you can argue that is system and we now have Gruden and he will fix all those things. I'll let the Oline off for 2018 but they had the whole of training camp and played the whole season healthy and there was no improvements, no adjustments, no playing to strengths. Can Gruden suddenly make that unit click? Can he keep TE's healthy? Can he get us that yard on 4th and 1 on the 1?

Outside of Chark and Dede, this team doesnt have a whole lot of true 'weapons' on O. I like Gruden but it feels a lot to hope hes going to come in and just fix all these problems, even the individual mental mistakes that they keep making.

Players in a wrong scheme look mediocre/bad alot of the time. Here's to hoping Gruden can bring in a scheme and work the guys the way that fits each of their strengths. I just don't feel great about it happening this year with this whole Covid situation keeping the guys from really working together.
In Dougie I Trust!

Very well said.

Cann is by far the weakest link in the oline and he has been since drafted. If we can somehow pull off getting Warford i think this oline could go from 28th best to top 20 and possibly to half of the league with a 100% healthy Cam and a year 2 Taylor

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020, 10:02 AM by leopold332002.)

If Gruden is this great offensive-minded Guru then why his offense last 2 years before he had been terminated look so inept. Let's stop acting like he can turn water into wine
[Image: giphy.gif]

(05-11-2020, 10:00 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: If Gruden is this great offensive-minded Guru then why his offense last 2 years before he had been terminated look so inept. Let's stop acting like he can turn water into wine
Because he was working with Colt McCoy, Josh Johnson, rookie Haskins and 5 games of Alex Smith.

Meh, I think at best 9-7/8-8, most likely with that schedule though it's probably closer to 5-11 ish. It's hard to look through that schedule and feel real confident about sniffing the playoffs. I guess it'll have to be one of those Cinderella type years where we're a surprise team and play much better then the team is on paper for playoffs to actually happen.

It seems like everytime I'm optimistic for a season we blow it. So maybe I'll throw some reverse psychology out there into the universe lol.

I'm excited for Minshew getting his chance but that's a pretty tough schedule and there's just been so many good players lost and replaced by young players and rookies. Hopefully Fournette is motivated to get himself a big contract on another team at least.

(05-11-2020, 08:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Cann is by far the weakest link in the oline and he has been since drafted.  If we can somehow pull off getting Warford i think this oline could go from 28th best to top 20 and possibly to half of the league with a 100% healthy Cam and a year 2 Taylor

I have hope with the Oline, no matter what my brain tells me. Linder, Norwell, Cam and Taylor. Theres enough talent there to improve.

I just want us to do those sinple things to help them. Play to your strengths, minimize what you suck at. I just want them to have at least one thing they can execute and dominate when running it.

(05-11-2020, 10:00 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: If Gruden is this great offensive-minded Guru then why his offense last 2 years before he had been terminated look so inept. Let's stop acting like he can turn water into wine

No good QBs , bad roster. Usually a potent mix to tank an offense, also HOF caliber LT didn't play