Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How do we help Minshew?

As 2020 will clearly be Minshew’s season, I imagine they’re looking long and hard at the offense and asking how it can be tailored to get the best out of him.

So what does that involve?

I’ve been watching a few Washington State games (as there is nothing else to watch!) and the obvious thing there was the number of short passes he threw and the number of passing options he was given (including a McCaffrey-style pass-catching RB). And although he wasn’t always up against the best opposition, he was ridiculously effective in that offense. I’m wondering if Gruden might try something similar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Fielding legitimate tight ends to throw to would be a solid start.

Spam play action and get athletes running after the catch with screens and yac

Unfortunately one of Grudens flaws is not using play action anywhere near enough

Upgrade right guard and left tackle.

Stop making Leonard Fournette the centerpiece of the offense.

(05-11-2020, 05:25 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Stop making Leonard Fournette the centerpiece of the offense.

THIS

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020, 05:48 PM by ATLjag.)

I think the Jag's front office has given Minshew some weapons this off season that should give him and the offense as a whole assistance. He now has a TE in Eifert, that is solid when healthy. Oliver, entering his sophmore year healthy, should develop as the other TE option for him. Chris Thompson is a 3rd down RB option that was absent in the offense last season. Fournette got receptions, but rarely made someone miss. With the short passes, crosses, and WR screens that proliferate in Gruden's offense, Shenault should be ideal with his ability to make defenders miss and get good YAC. I would have liked to have seen the starting 5 OL addressed, but I guess there is next year for that one.

Trade him to Dallas for Dak Prescott.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Stop making the RB a focus every down and speed up the offense as a whole. A TE and RG would be nice.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(05-11-2020, 06:50 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Trade him to Dallas for Dak Prescott.
Yoooooo

Zeke and Fournette!

Add misdirection that allows minshew to use his mind to hit the right reads and find the open man. Also, sign Ward at right guard.

Gotta get the play action pass working. But in order for that to work, we gotta have a consistent running game that is quick hitting the hole. Cant have a dive for 2 yards each play.

(05-11-2020, 08:21 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Gotta get the play action pass working. But in order for that to work, we gotta have a consistent running game that is quick hitting the hole. Cant have a dive for 2 yards each play.

Play action should be used a ton even without a consistent ground game

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2020, 03:10 AM by Predator.)

Run the ball effectively and reduce the number of penalties.

I think as it stands now, there is "no help on the way" in terms of pieces we can add.

Saying that, getting the TE's involved early would do wonders for a young QB. Utilized some screens with Thompson and Shenault to work into play actions downfield with Conley/Chark.

I would like to see us do what we did with the 2 RB setup we saw briefly in 2018 with Fournette and Thompson, or even mix Shenault in with some bubble screens. Make defenses play sideline to sideline while also having to worry about LF pounding it inside.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2020, 08:15 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-11-2020, 05:04 PM)JagSwag Wrote: Fielding legitimate tight ends to throw to would be a solid start.

Absolutely.  Also should have gotten him a Darren Sproles type RB that is fast, elusive, and can catch passes out of the backfield.  When I use Darren Sproles as an example, I'm referring to the Darren Sproles in his prime.

Last year, we lacked team speed on offense.

(05-12-2020, 08:14 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 05:04 PM)JagSwag Wrote: Fielding legitimate tight ends to throw to would be a solid start.

Absolutely.  Also should have gotten him a Darren Sproles type RB that is fast, elusive, and can catch passes out of the backfield.  When I use Darren Sproles as an example, I'm referring to the Darren Sproles in his prime.

Last year, we lacked team speed on offense.
The draft would have been a great place to find one of those.... considering they have 12 picks.

(05-11-2020, 04:59 PM)Andy G Wrote: As 2020 will clearly be Minshew’s season, I imagine they’re looking long and hard at the offense and asking how it can be tailored to get the best out of him.

So what does that involve?

I’ve been watching a few Washington State games (as there is nothing else to watch!) and the obvious thing there was the number of short passes he threw and the number of passing options he was given (including a McCaffrey-style pass-catching RB). And although he wasn’t always up against the best opposition, he was ridiculously effective in that offense. I’m wondering if Gruden might try something similar.

What I'm most excited about is projecting Minshew as Dalton, Chark as AJ Green, and Eifert as Eifert. If Gruden can replicate that production, it'll be a top 10 offense. If Minshew takes a 20% leap forward, like Caldwell mentioned is his hope, the offense will get off to better starts and give the defense the lead sometimes. If the defense has any strength, it will be pass rush, so the offense needs to build leads or at least keep pace with the other team. The offense needs to be built to cover the weaker defense until the young secondary (i.e., Henderson, Herndon, Reed) and run defense (i.e., Hamilton) have time to gell.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(05-12-2020, 08:59 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: What I'm most excited about is projecting Minshew as Dalton, Chark as AJ Green, and Eifert as Eifert. If Gruden can replicate that production, it'll be a top 10 offense. 

I think we'll get the Redskins version Case Keenan (QB), Terry McLaurin (WR) and Jeremy Sprinkle (TE)

(05-12-2020, 09:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 08:59 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: What I'm most excited about is projecting Minshew as Dalton, Chark as AJ Green, and Eifert as Eifert. If Gruden can replicate that production, it'll be a top 10 offense. 

I think we'll get the Redskins version Case Keenan (QB), Terry McLaurin (WR) and Jeremy Sprinkle (TE)

Who’s Case Keenan