Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pandemic and Game Attendance -MERGED

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2020, 10:13 AM by Mikey.)

**mods, I am tubodumb, please move to flyby or NFL forum as you prefer.

Snowy kind of alluded to this before I could get this post done, but in the absence of real-time sports to distract the brain, I've been going to some weird places.

Teams like Indy and TB could be in some dire trouble with their recent signings.

COVID is changing how we currently live and interact, and frankly, I don't see this changing for a while. This isn't going to be one month of sitting at the house instead of going to a theater, and then back to normal. Colleges have already canceled sports for the next two months plus, and pro leagues are likely going to have to begrudgingly do the same.

Worst case scenario, end of summer, this isolation and distancing remains our reality. Travel is still discouraged, gatherings of large crowds restricted. Players are unable to practice or compete. The league decides to cancel the season, as temperatures begin dropping and people start staying indoors again. Do teams still have to pay their players despite games not going on? Are broadcast contracts honored, when no games are played? Do players accrue a year of service against their contracts, even if they never step foot onto a field that season?

Fast forward to 2021. We're getting back to normal, and football is ramping up again (thank GOD!!), but now, Tommy is 44 as the season begins, and Rivers 39. Both players were already beginning to show signs of aging at the end of the 2019 season, and are over a year removed from their last snap from under center. Are they still the same QB as when they signed their FA deal?

Kinda glad we're not hanging our hopes on aging shoulders like those teams. I really hope in two or three months this turns out to be a meaningless post. Sorry to take the board on a really dark turn....welcome to the inside of my mind.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wonder how they would determine draft orders of no season is played?

(03-20-2020, 10:11 AM)Mikey Wrote: **mods, I am tubodumb, please move to flyby or NFL forum as you prefer.

Snowy kind of alluded to this before I could get this post done, but in the absence of real-time sports to distract the brain, I've been going to some weird places.

Teams like Indy and TB could be in some dire trouble with their recent signings.

COVID is changing how we currently live and interact, and frankly, I don't see this changing for a while. This isn't going to be one month of sitting at the house instead of going to a theater, and then back to normal. Colleges have already canceled sports for the next two months plus, and pro leagues are likely going to have to begrudgingly do the same.

Worst case scenario, end of summer, this isolation and distancing remains our reality. Travel is still discouraged, gatherings of large crowds restricted. Players are unable to practice or compete. The league decides to cancel the season, as temperatures begin dropping and people start staying indoors again. Do teams still have to pay their players despite games not going on? Are broadcast contracts honored, when no games are played? Do players accrue a year of service against their contracts, even if they never step foot onto a field that season?

Fast forward to 2021. We're getting back to normal, and football is ramping up again (thank GOD!!), but now, Tommy is 44 as the season begins, and Rivers 39. Both players were already beginning to show signs of aging at the end of the 2019 season, and are over a year removed from their last snap from under center. Are they still the same QB as when they signed their FA deal?

Kinda glad we're not hanging our hopes on aging shoulders like those teams. I really hope in two or three months this turns out to be a meaningless post. Sorry to take the board on a really dark turn....welcome to the inside of my mind.

Pretty good post there Mikey, raises a couple of interesting points.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(03-20-2020, 10:17 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Wonder how they would determine draft orders of no season is played?

Presumably no college football season would have been played either... so no year of eligibility lost.
So not as many players would declare.
it would look more like a supplemental draft, my best guess.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-20-2020, 10:17 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Wonder how they would determine draft orders of no season is played?

The NFL just strong-armed the governor of California into considering "construction projects" essential for the purposes of the lockdown order. I'm pretty sure it can strongarm the rest of the country into playing at least an abbreviated season, regardless of what's going on outside.

The drama...

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have a feeling that by the time August rolls around much of this Covid-19 crisis will be over.

As the eloquent POTUS would say, "It's bad, it's very bad"

(03-20-2020, 12:03 PM)TJBender Wrote:

The NFL just strong-armed the governor of California into considering "construction projects" essential for the purposes of the lockdown order. I'm pretty sure it can strongarm the rest of the country into playing at least an abbreviated season, regardless of what's going on outside.

The NFL could isolate all players, coaches, and personnel for 2 weeks and test them. Then everyone cleared stays in a hotel rented out for those people and they are isolated for the full season. No one who hasn't been isolated enters the hotel, planes, bus, etc.

The NFLPA would have to agree, but I bet they do as the other option is $0.

(03-20-2020, 08:51 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 12:03 PM)TJBender Wrote: The NFL just strong-armed the governor of California into considering "construction projects" essential for the purposes of the lockdown order. I'm pretty sure it can strongarm the rest of the country into playing at least an abbreviated season, regardless of what's going on outside.

The NFL could isolate all players, coaches, and personnel for 2 weeks and test them. Then everyone cleared stays in a hotel rented out for those people and they are isolated for the full season. No one who hasn't been isolated enters the hotel, planes, bus, etc.

I don't see many players agreeing to isolation from their families for 7-8 months.  The plan would also require quarantining flight crews, bus drivers, hotel staff, refs, medical staff, etc.  Even if the logistics were manageable, to what end result, playing in empty stadiums?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-20-2020, 03:46 PM)Kane Wrote: I have a feeling that by the time August rolls around much of this Covid-19 crisis will be over.

The pandemic, yes, or at least on the very back end of it. The economic impacts, not even a little bit.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2020, 10:01 AM by mikesez.)

There are two proposed treatments that are both promising and both involve a malaria drug plus one other drug.
If either treatment becomes widely available, and prevents infected people from needing ventilators, they will relax the social distancing pretty quickly.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-20-2020, 10:44 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 08:51 PM)p_rushing Wrote: The NFL could isolate all players, coaches, and personnel for 2 weeks and test them. Then everyone cleared stays in a hotel rented out for those people and they are isolated for the full season. No one who hasn't been isolated enters the hotel, planes, bus, etc.

I don't see many players agreeing to isolation from their families for 7-8 months.  The plan would also require quarantining flight crews, bus drivers, hotel staff, refs, medical staff, etc.  Even if the logistics were manageable, to what end result, playing in empty stadiums?

While not easy, being the only sport on TV for most of the year would mean huge ratings and the NFL will be negotiating new tv deals. The more money they make the more the players get.

Season might be OK, but with shortened preseason.

NBA, NHL are gone and MLB season is cactus too.

(03-21-2020, 01:44 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 10:44 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I don't see many players agreeing to isolation from their families for 7-8 months.  The plan would also require quarantining flight crews, bus drivers, hotel staff, refs, medical staff, etc.  Even if the logistics were manageable, to what end result, playing in empty stadiums?

While not easy, being the only sport on TV for most of the year would mean huge ratings and the NFL will be negotiating new tv deals. The more money they make the more the players get.

There's no guarantee of it being the only sport.  Whatever the NFL can do, the NBA, NHL and MLB can do also.  I think the option is actually more realistic with the NBA.  With much smaller rosters, staff, officials, etc. it would be far easier to manage.  It also has the advantage of the ability to play a game every other day.  But with any sport, what happens when it's suddenly revealed that a player had unquarantined contact with an outside person?  

The extra expense, plus cutting out all the gate and concession revenue might decrease, rather than increase, the bottom line.  In any event, it would be a weird experience watching ANY sport without spectators and probably lose significant fan appeal.  At what point does it go from a game to a TV show?

If closed to spectators, golf could probably go on with the least difficulty.  Maintaining a 10' separation distance among a couple hundred people spread out over an entire course wouldn't be a problem.  Likewise tennis.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-20-2020, 10:36 AM)mikesez Wrote:

Presumably no college football season would have been played either... so no year of eligibility lost.
So not as many players would declare.
it would look more like a supplemental draft, my best guess.

The eligibility would remain for those who wish to keep playing, but I think darft eligibility is based on years since high school, so a lot of players would have to weigh the option of sticking around for one last go at a natty, or pursue the paycheck.

Kids don't get younger, or richer, sticking around so a lot would probably declare. If they didn't, the next year's darft might have to expand to at least ten rounds to account for the depth of two classes coming available.

I read that some GM are asking to delay the darft. I'm kinda okay with that since our tradition has become going to the local watering hole and enjoying a few refreshments while debating the picks.

Sure beats sitting at home and yelling at the TV, or actually having to listen to Kiper prattle on.

If USA took this seriously, there might be an NFL season. But if it thinks it can go back to business in April, then infections will skyrocket and the 2020 and 2021 seasons wont happen.