Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pandemic and Game Attendance -MERGED

(05-15-2020, 10:04 PM)Newton Wrote: I think they just have to keep the players under a pseudo quarantine (no eating out, going to clubs, etc) and test them frequently. Players who test positive have to sit.  Perhaps rapid testing sensitivity will improve by then and can be used before the games. Older coaches would coach from the booth. Maybe the stadiums require mask wearing and only fill to 1/3 capacity to keep social distancing to some degree, with scheduled entrance times based on ticket number. Discourage those 65 or older from attending.

I still think we are going to have a full season. The NFL is too valuable to this country’s psyche to not have a season. College may be different.

The only truly safe way is to isolate them all in a hotel. Rent out the entire hotel for players, coaches, and support staff (anyone who comes in contact with the players, that includes hotel staff, transportation staff, airline, etc). Everyone stays in their room for isolation period and testing. Once clear, they can then start practicing. No one can leave or interact with anyone that is not in isolation at the hotel with them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-15-2020, 11:57 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 10:04 PM)Newton Wrote: I think they just have to keep the players under a pseudo quarantine (no eating out, going to clubs, etc) and test them frequently. Players who test positive have to sit.  Perhaps rapid testing sensitivity will improve by then and can be used before the games. Older coaches would coach from the booth. Maybe the stadiums require mask wearing and only fill to 1/3 capacity to keep social distancing to some degree, with scheduled entrance times based on ticket number. Discourage those 65 or older from attending.

I still think we are going to have a full season. The NFL is too valuable to this country’s psyche to not have a season. College may be different.

The only truly safe way is to isolate them all in a hotel. Rent out the entire hotel for players, coaches, and support staff (anyone who comes in contact with the players, that includes hotel staff, transportation staff, airline, etc). Everyone stays in their room for isolation period and testing. Once clear, they can then start practicing. No one can leave or interact with anyone that is not in isolation at the hotel with them.
In theory I agree, but it seems hard to get players to agree to that. Maybe If you play 4 games followed by a 2 week bye week, followed by 4 more games in an abbreviated season.

(05-15-2020, 11:57 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

Governor Cuomo is surprised and saddened to inform you that your isolation plan doesn't work.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2020, 05:55 PM by p_rushing.)

(05-16-2020, 07:51 AM)Newton Wrote: In theory I agree, but it seems hard to get players to agree to that. Maybe If you play 4 games followed by a 2 week bye week, followed by 4 more games in an abbreviated season.

Yep I doubt the players agree to it, specially because they get paid even if the season doesn't happen.

(05-16-2020, 10:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Governor Cuomo is surprised and saddened to inform you that your isolation plan doesn't work.

Cuomo doesn't know what isolation is, people staying home in NY still have to go to get food and supplies. With the NFL, they would need to truly lock the hotel down. No one comes in contact with anyone not in isolation at the hotel. If needed they could even setup decontaminated showers to enter the hotel after the players comeback from practicing.

I can be done, but it will cost money and the NFLPA has to agree to it. The NFL has to pay players, but they won't get any revenue without playing games. Based on how UFC, Soccer, Golf, Nascar, etc go, I expect the NFL to follow that model. They won't leave that much money on the table and I doubt the NFLPA does either.

(05-16-2020, 05:55 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 07:51 AM)Newton Wrote: In theory I agree, but it seems hard to get players to agree to that. Maybe If you play 4 games followed by a 2 week bye week, followed by 4 more games in an abbreviated season.

Yep I doubt the players agree to it, specially because they get paid even if the season doesn't happen.

(05-16-2020, 10:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Governor Cuomo is surprised and saddened to inform you that your isolation plan doesn't work.

Cuomo doesn't know what isolation is, people staying home in NY still have to go to get food and supplies. With the NFL, they would need to truly lock the hotel down. No one comes in contact with anyone not in isolation at the hotel. If needed they could even setup decontaminated showers to enter the hotel after the players comeback from practicing.

I can be done, but it will cost money and the NFLPA has to agree to it. The NFL has to pay players, but they won't get any revenue without playing games. Based on how UFC, Soccer, Golf, Nascar, etc go, I expect the NFL to follow that model. They won't leave that much money on the table and I doubt the NFLPA does 

NFL opening up next week, games will be played as usual this fall.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-15-2020, 05:12 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: if there is a nfl season how do we protect all  of the players coaches, and fans if allowed from the convi 19?  Rember i have always said a persons health is more imporent then football,yes i would miss it if theres  not a season,but i would rather 

miss it,and keep everyone healthy,and safe. so heres the question now what safe ways could we have a nfl season,and keep everyone safe espailsy the players who get closer then 6 feet,and have contact with each other?

look at what NASCAR is presently doing.

limit personnel on teams, test everyone before they can enter facilities, and even in spite of all the testing/clearance, everyone inside is still masking/spacing as if there may still be risk. No fans. coordinators/position coaches may have to coach from a booth/luxury box, but with everyone using tablets now, not a big deal, not like you'll have to shout over crowd noise.

It can be done.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2020, 05:59 PM by rpr52121.)

(05-18-2020, 05:01 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 05:12 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: if there is a nfl season how do we protect all  of the players coaches, and fans if allowed from the convi 19?  Rember i have always said a persons health is more imporent then football,yes i would miss it if theres  not a season,but i would rather 

miss it,and keep everyone healthy,and safe. so heres the question now what safe ways could we have a nfl season,and keep everyone safe espailsy the players who get closer then 6 feet,and have contact with each other?

look at what NASCAR is presently doing.

limit personnel on teams, test everyone before they can enter facilities, and even in spite of all the testing/clearance, everyone inside is still masking/spacing as if there may still be risk. No fans. coordinators/position coaches may have to coach from a booth/luxury box, but with everyone using tablets now, not a big deal, not like you'll have to shout over crowd noise.

It can be done.

How many people are needed for for a NARCAR race vs an NFL game (legit question because I don't follow the sport)?

Is "separating off groups" easier to do in NASCAR because you space out the pit crews and "forbid" competing crews from going to other areas?

Not saying it's not possible, just wondering how it would work.

I do think some new innovations to automate some things (e.g. like moving the sticks, robot waiters for water bottles, etc) or other changes (full face shields on player helmets rather than the traditional wire frame) can help limit required personnel and exposure, but many will feel it changes the atmosphere of the game.

Like moving most coaches/coordinators to the booth, may require more players to have mics/headsets in their helmets. Unless we start going with tennis (ATP/WTA) rules.

There are reports coming out now that governors including governors from NY and California are okay with pro sports returning in the near future. But this is largely without fans for now:

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/126...7291466768

(05-18-2020, 05:56 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 05:01 PM)Mikey Wrote: look at what NASCAR is presently doing.

It can be done.

How many people are needed for for a NARCAR race vs an NFL game (legit question because I don't follow the sport)?

Is "separating off groups" easier to do in NASCAR because you space out the pit crews and "forbid" competing crews from going to other areas?

Not saying it's not possible, just wondering how it would work.

I do think some new innovations to automate some things (e.g. like moving the sticks, robot waiters for water bottles, etc) or other changes (full face shields on player helmets rather than the traditional wire frame) can help limit required personnel and exposure, but many will feel it changes the atmosphere of the game.

Like moving most coaches/coordinators to the booth, may require more players to have mics/headsets in their helmets. Unless we start going with tennis (ATP/WTA) rules.

If I remember what I read correctly, there's 40-42 teams in a race. at least 6 crewmen on a pit stop, driver, crew chief, and probably an engineer or two on-field. spotter in the stands. camera crews. media. officials. track security (still gotta be sure people stay out), medical staff (not only for testing, but diagnostics/triage after a wreck, mandatory for all drivers unable to continue after crashing). drivers of the haulers, equipment suppliers (Goodyear reps, especially, tto distribute tires to teams. facilities/safety crew (towtrucks, blowers, catch fence repair, etc.)

Safe to say there's at least 500 people involved for each race, and they have 3 different series racing the tracks throughout the week.

The real risk is the players and coaches going home. You can control the players and coaches and ensure that they stay isolated, but you can't control their families and all the other people their families may come in contact with. If they really want to protect everyone, they need to isolate everyone for 2 weeks, test every day, and then put them all in a single hotel where no one leaves. It is the only way to ensure that they never come in contact with someone who has it.

The NFL would also need to isolate another 2 team roster of FAs so teams could make moves if needed. No one could join an NFL unless they were isolated and tested for 2 weeks.

There's a discussion for the political side of this in the political forum. Posts crossing that line here will be deleted.

(05-20-2020, 12:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote: The real risk is the players and coaches going home. You can control the players and coaches and ensure that they stay isolated, but you can't control their families and all the other people their families may come in contact with. If they really want to protect everyone, they need to isolate everyone for 2 weeks, test every day, and then put them all in a single hotel where no one leaves. It is the only way to ensure that they never come in contact with someone who has it.

The NFL would also need to isolate another 2 team roster of FAs so teams could make moves if needed. No one could join an NFL unless they were isolated and tested for 2 weeks.

I'm not a health expert, but from what I understand, the 2 week window is associated with eliminating all possible risk.
They may be able to get down to an acceptable level of risk with a shorter window of time.

If there are not any fans, it doesn't matter what stadium they choose to play in.  If the isolation window is very short, the NFL could keep the schedule the same without disturbing the player's lives too much.
But if it's a long isolation period, you're going to want to make some accommodation. Ship a whole division to one stadium, have them play round robin, three games for each of the four teams in that stadium.  The players will be away from home for 2 weeks. After that, they go home, and there's a two-week break until they play again, where they have to test virus free. Then you shuffle all the teams into new temporary "divisions" and repeat the process. Each player and each coach spends 15 days with three Sundays on the road playing, then they spend 13 days with one Sunday at home, not playing. Five cycles of three games each equals a 15-game season, the last cycle can be the same traditional division alignment as the first cycle
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

If I can’t go to. a Jags game this year, I’m gonna be pissed. I don’t give a damn about this virus [BLEEP]

I'm thinking they will likely limit preseason to 2 games and then start on time with fans.

It would actually be best for the Jags if there was a NO Fans policy this season as I think our ticket sales are going to take a major hit given the doom and gloom outlook of our young team.

Interestingly enough, if Tom Brady tests positive, I assume he'd need to sit out 2 weeks. What if 10 players test positive? Imagine the Vegas betting line swinging as players sit out. This could get quite complex. Perhaps we can squeek out some wins by forfeit and make the playoffs -- may be our only hope.

(05-21-2020, 01:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Interestingly enough, if Tom Brady tests positive, I assume he'd need to sit out 2 weeks.  What if 10 players test positive?  Imagine the Vegas betting line swinging as players sit out.  This could get quite complex.  Perhaps we can squeek out some wins by forfeit and make the playoffs -- may be our only hope.

That is what I've been wondering.

If the NFL and other league are really going to squeeze out as much money out of seasons without live fans, they will have to lean heavily into their betting/gambling arrangements. But if losing key players or whole position groups with any regularity due to errant positive tests or quarantining could drastically shift those payouts and make them less reliable profit generators.

(05-22-2020, 05:02 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 01:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Interestingly enough, if Tom Brady tests positive, I assume he'd need to sit out 2 weeks.  What if 10 players test positive?  Imagine the Vegas betting line swinging as players sit out.  This could get quite complex.  Perhaps we can squeek out some wins by forfeit and make the playoffs -- may be our only hope.

That is what I've been wondering.

If the NFL and other league are really going to squeeze out as much money out of seasons without live fans, they will have to lean heavily into their betting/gambling arrangements. But if losing key players or whole position groups with any regularity due to errant positive tests or quarantining could drastically shift those payouts and make them less reliable profit generators.

They have to play to get money from TV contracts I believe, so they will do what they have to do to play the full year.

Will they have to change the normal referee crews and bring in younger people? Aren't most of them in the high risk group?

(05-26-2020, 09:58 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Will they have to change the normal referee crews and bring in younger people? Aren't most of them in the high risk group?

Interesting question. 

Average age of NFL refs is 51, so you'd have to think at least a few of them are old enough to consider the higher risk.

(05-26-2020, 09:58 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Will they have to change the normal referee crews and bring in younger people? Aren't most of them in the high risk group?

Now we’ll have to endure bad calls because the refs were looking at their phones.

Tongue