Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Expectations/Plans for Jags new offense under Gruden

(06-03-2020, 06:06 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 08:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd amend the bolded with - "eventually, it's on the GM to fix the coaching issue too."  

After that -- Not sure what you're getting at with the "best in the league" thing. That seems a far cry from anything I'm remotely devil's advocating here. 

I think what has happened the past two seasons since the roster and coaching finally got to a place that it was competitive is very damning for the front office of the Jaguars.  The only reason Caldwell survived the 2018/2019 performance is that Tom Coughlin apparently came in and ran roughshod over the whole scene. Thus giving him some amnesty. 

I personally give Caldwell some leeway for getting the roster to a "should have been in the superbowl" level in 2017 even if the offense that year was flukey at best.  The problem is, they couldn't retain that foothold and build upon it and things, in fact, took a sharp turn downward. 

To the original point of your post that I responded to: 
 Caldwell's tenure has not surpassed Shack's era and its success because he has not paired a worthy roster with a staff worthy of leading them. At least that's the way I see it. He let the Khans lean on him with Bradley and now may ultimately be too loyal to Marrone and Wash.

I wish this season wasn't going to have the asterisk of *pandemic offseason* attached to it so we could get an unadulterated assessment.

The bottom line in evaluating a GM (at least after the first couple of years is) is how the team is doing on the field. Sure, the coaching staff might be the reason for that (and that's legit) but ultimately you have to look at the results. 2017 notwithstanding, Shack's record says he was better than Caldwell. To make a case otherwise, you'd need to disregard the record. So my points was: if we throw out the record, why not just claim the Jags have always been great?

Personally, I would have canned Caldwell by now. I suppose a second chance makes a little bit of sense given the issues with TC but we need to see results this year IMO.

I see the point now, but I was thrown of with the "Jags being great" thing. 
Feels like staring at a forest and ignoring the trees. 

I was fine with Caldwell getting canned after 2019 and I really thought he would be, I just don't evaluate him using such a wide lens. I try to zoom in on stages of roster development and key decisions in different categories. (draft, FA, Coach hires)  The record is the final broad brush perspective for me. 

Anyway - I'll try to get on topic here since we have a Caldwell thread ongoing elsewhere. I'm sure we're not really that far apart in our Caldwell opinions even if I'm slightly more supportive. 

Here's a recent blurb on Gruden that sort of speculates he'll be motivated to show out with the Jags offense as he seeks another HC opportunity. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jay-...oordinator

Messages In This Thread
RE: Expectations/Plans for Jags new offense under Gruden - by NYC4jags - 06-03-2020, 09:56 AM