Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Caldwell really that bad?

I was curious of how bad Caldwell really is, especially seeing alot of hate on the board from people. But looking at the past drafts, i honestly lean towards him being the best drafter we have had. Sure, some years included Coughlin and there was a few bad picks but in my opinion the overall of picks has been way better than what we had in previous years. Look at each section of picks and honestly ask yourself which seems like the better group. It actually surprised me looking at them all together like this. I just grouped a few more known names from each year that was drafted. 

2003 Leftwich, Mathis, Manuwai
2004 Williams, Smith,G Jones, Scobee
2005 M. Jones, Barnes, Pearman
2006 M. Lewis, MJD
2007 R. Nelson, J. Durant, Sims-Walker
2008 Harvey, Groves

2009 Monroe, Britton, Knighton, Cox, Thomas
2010 Alualu
2011 Gabbert, Rackley, Shorts
2012 Blackmon, Branch, Anger

2013 Joeckel, Cyprien, Gratz
2014  Bortles, Lee, A Robinson, Linder, Colvin, T Smith
2015 Fowler, Yeldon, Cann

2016 Ramsey, Jack, Ngakoue
2017 Fournette, C Robinson, Westbrook
2018 Bryan, Chark, Harrison
2019 J Allen, j Taylor, Oliver, Minshew

Two of these groups included Caldwell.
In Dougie I Trust!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Caldwell isn't a bad drafter. The team has a whole has been bad at getting that franchise QB. And we might of stole one in round 6.

If Minshew is the guy watch out as we have 2 more picks in 1st round where we can add a tackle and a wr for Minshew.

His 3rd and 4th rounds have been studs. Yannick, telvin, harrison, linder to name a few. But guys need to play for each otger and not themselves. Thats why ramsey was let go in a trade. Fournette still here cause he knows it's business not personal and willing to accept that. He balls out I hooe we can ink him long term but he needs more of that rookie numbers.

But I can tell you right now Minshew is a better qb then we have had since the Leftwich/garrad days. That is a long time to be without a stable QB.

Alot of the draft picks we made as well as the FA brought in are captains, team first guys. Not looking for accolades but instead want to be part of something special.

Schobert in the middle might just fix our defense. Moving jack to the outside and drafting quaterman for our 2nd ILB. We are very young right now only thing im worried about. But they went and hired some good position coaches in mcadoo and gruden. Not the best of HCs but were very good as position coaches.

(06-02-2020, 12:15 PM)Hurricane Wrote: I was curious of how bad Caldwell really is, especially seeing alot of hate on the board from people. But looking at the past drafts, i honestly lean towards him being the best drafter we have had. Sure, some years included Coughlin and there was a few bad picks but in my opinion the overall of picks has been way better than what we had in previous years. Look at each section of picks and honestly ask yourself which seems like the better group. It actually surprised me looking at them all together like this. I just grouped a few more known names from each year that was drafted. 

2006 M. Lewis, MJD
2008 Harvey, Groves

2010 Alualu

Not sure why you grouped them that way. I'd put all of Caldwell's together, and give Gene Smith credit for 2008 since he had equal say that year (or maybe just make that line separate.

Coughlin has the best record in the 1st round, but was pretty poor in rounds 2-7. Harris and Caldwell both did well in later rounds, but Harris' record was worse in round 1.

Gene Smith was abysmal.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Caldwell is average overall.
Flashes of "really good" with mid-late picks and UDFA, but flashes of bad in the frrst round.
His FA signings are pretty well divided between hits and misses but such is the nature of FA and many of the "misses" ended up in that column due to injury to the player.

The hate toward the guy is usually either poorly informed, hyperbolized, or lacking perspective on the league average performance by GMs.

I assumed he 'd be gone this year and I was OK with that. I could understand why, but I like what he's done on paper this offseason aside from passing on a LT. We'll see...

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 01:40 PM by The Real Marty.)

Take a look at the New England Patriots 2000 draft picks.  

46. Adrian Klemm, OT. Hawaii. 
76. J.R. Redmond, RB. Arizona State. 
127. Greg Randall, OT. Michigan State. 
141. Dave Stachelski, TE. Boise State. 
161. Jeff Marriott, DT. Missouri. DT. 
187. Antwan Harris, DB. Virginia. DB. 
201. David Nugent, DT. Purdue. DT.

None of those guys had any kind of NFL career.  That's about the worst draft of all time.  Except for one thing- there's one other pick I left off that list, and you know who he is, pick # 199.  

So the worst draft of all time set up the Pats for 20 years of sustained success.  Funny, isn't it?

(06-02-2020, 12:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 12:15 PM)Hurricane Wrote: I was curious of how bad Caldwell really is, especially seeing alot of hate on the board from people. But looking at the past drafts, i honestly lean towards him being the best drafter we have had. Sure, some years included Coughlin and there was a few bad picks but in my opinion the overall of picks has been way better than what we had in previous years. Look at each section of picks and honestly ask yourself which seems like the better group. It actually surprised me looking at them all together like this. I just grouped a few more known names from each year that was drafted. 

2006 M. Lewis, MJD
2008 Harvey, Groves

2010 Alualu

Not sure why you grouped them that way. I'd put all of Caldwell's together, and give Gene Smith credit for 2008 since he had equal say that year (or maybe just make that line separate.

Coughlin has the best record in the 1st round, but was pretty poor in rounds 2-7. Harris and Caldwell both did well in later rounds, but Harris' record was worse in round 1.

Gene Smith was abysmal.

I hope Gene Smith, wherever he's working these days, is assigned to small schools. He presents his diamonds in the rough once a quarter to the GM, who just nods and smiles while he reads the paper.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(06-02-2020, 01:40 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Take a look at the New England Patriots 2000 draft picks.  

46. Adrian Klemm, OT. Hawaii. 
76. J.R. Redmond, RB. Arizona State. 
127. Greg Randall, OT. Michigan State. 
141. Dave Stachelski, TE. Boise State. 
161. Jeff Marriott, DT. Missouri. DT. 
187. Antwan Harris, DB. Virginia. DB. 
201. David Nugent, DT. Purdue. DT.

None of those guys had any kind of NFL career.  That's about the worst draft of all time.  Except for one thing- there's one other pick I left off that list, and you know who he is, pick # 199.  

So the worst draft of all time set up the Pats for 20 years of sustained success.  Funny, isn't it?

But look at where the Pats were drafting.  #46 was their 1st pick.  That's a big different then us drafting at the top of the draft each year in the past decade (and sometimes still not getting it right).  Heck, the Jags always have 2 picks long before that Pats #46 pick.

Caldwells biggest issue has been his/the teams coaching selections. His drafting is pretty decent imo.

As is often stated, he has had more high value draft capital and has spent more FA $ than any GM in history by a lot. The best defense is that he has drafted pretty decent and the team has been a laughing stock for almost the entirety of his regime.

There have been worse GMs, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a GM who has as bad of a track record and not lost his job years earlier.

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 09:45 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

Always fun to read lame excuses for Caldwell.

Keep it going guys, meanwhile our team will have another losing season, just the way you guys like it.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I honestly think he’s come a long way as far as draft talent. This year was one of his best imo

As has been already noted, Caldwell's drafting has been average overall. The 2 decisions which should have gotten him fired, however, were extending the contracts of Bortles and Gus Bradley.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 05:30 AM by Hurricane.)

I wish i knew the odds of getting "impact" players for each team in the draft. I don't necessarily mean superstars, but players that play a role and fill a hole atleast average, if not above average.

By looking at the list, it looks like Caldwell averages about 3 impact players a year. I realize some people may classify players differently, so this is just my opinion. But i would like to know how all the other GM's fair compared to this.
We have lived in misery for quite some time with a season here and there shining a bit of hope. Our biggest issue is not getting the Qb position squared away imo. Had Caldwell hit on a Qb early on, i dont think we would be anywhere we currently are. There has been some pretty talented players drafted by us.

(06-02-2020, 09:44 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Always fun to read lame excuses for Caldwell.

Keep it going guys, meanwhile our team will have another losing season, just the way you guys like it.

I dont think these are excuses being made. Its more of trying to understand whats went wrong. Can you really look at Caldwells draft and say hes done a horrible job? If so, what and who are you comparing it to? 

Not every post has to be negative.
In Dougie I Trust!

(06-02-2020, 07:58 PM)surfon Wrote: Caldwells biggest issue has been his/the teams coaching selections.  His drafting is pretty decent imo.

He's made some good picks and whiffed a few times. My bet is he'll ultimately be remembered for the Joeckel pick and the Ramsey fiasco (even if that wasn't entirely his fault) but we'll see.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-03-2020, 06:11 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 07:58 PM)surfon Wrote: Caldwells biggest issue has been his/the teams coaching selections.  His drafting is pretty decent imo.

He's made some good picks and whiffed a few times. My bet is he'll ultimately be remembered for the Joeckel pick and the Ramsey fiasco (even if that wasn't entirely his fault) but we'll see.

No, right now, the thing he will be ultimately remembered for is the selection of Blake Bortles.  That was the 3rd pick in the draft, and we committed 5 years to trying to develop him, and if he had succeeded, the past few years would have been completely different, and Caldwell would be lionized as the greatest GM in team history.  That pick is by far the most important failure of the Caldwell era.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 10:12 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(06-03-2020, 05:27 AM)Hurricane Wrote: I wish i knew the odds of getting "impact" players for each team in the draft. I don't necessarily mean superstars,  but players that play a role and fill a hole atleast average, if not above average.

By looking at the list, it looks like Caldwell averages about 3 impact players a year. I realize some people may classify players differently, so this is just my opinion. But i would like to know how all the other GM's fair compared to this.
We have lived in misery for quite some time with a season here and there shining a bit of hope. Our biggest issue is not getting the Qb position squared away imo. Had Caldwell hit on a Qb early on, i dont think we would be anywhere we currently are. There has been some pretty talented players drafted by us.

(06-02-2020, 09:44 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Always fun to read lame excuses for Caldwell.

I dont think these are excuses being made. Its more of trying to understand whats went wrong. Can you really look at Caldwells draft and say hes done a horrible job? If so, what and who are you comparing it to? 

Again,

What's the team record while he is been here with and without Coughlin? funny how his only winning season he had Coughlin doing his job. 
Hilarious how people love to blame the Khans (absolute ignorants of football) for hiring Bradley. Bradley is Caldwell's first HC, how did it go?
His QB (3rd overall) was absolute garbage

Those 3 are the most important things for a GM, come on now, bring the lame excuses.

(06-03-2020, 05:27 AM)Hurricane Wrote: I wish i knew the odds of getting "impact" players for each team in the draft. I don't necessarily mean superstars,  but players that play a role and fill a hole atleast average, if not above average.

Not every post has to be positive just because, without a good reason.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 09:55 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

And, while I wouldn't call it horrible, he was average at best in this draft.

We are supposed to have a guy with the potential to be our QB of the future and yet he did pretty much nothing to help him. O-line help? a guy in the 4th round who played for a division III (?) team. A WR who has had injury problems, great!
He also admitted he would have taken Chaisson at #9 if the Cards drafted Henderson.
He was unable (or worse refused) to trade up to get better talent and we ended up with 12 picks LOL

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 09:57 AM by D-Money.)

If he was just a scout and drafter, I was say he is average BUT he is the GM. Our overall record is the biggest reason and not being able to keep the good players that he drafted.

I really feel like half of the board could produce similar results with the amount of years Caldwell has had. Trial and error, if you have 7 years and don't get better then there is something wrong. The 1 good year we had, Coughlin was in control. So overall as a GM he is below average. Stop trying justify what could have went different or speculations of what caused what, look at our RESULTS.

He is great at negotiations because he should.have been fired in year 4 or 5 the latest but he was able to talk Shad into keeping him. He might go somewhere and be a great GM because of all of the experience he has had with us but there is no way to prove that he has even been average. Lets wake up and hold coaches and the front office accountable, not just the players.

(06-03-2020, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 06:11 AM)hb1148 Wrote: He's made some good picks and whiffed a few times. My bet is he'll ultimately be remembered for the Joeckel pick and the Ramsey fiasco (even if that wasn't entirely his fault) but we'll see.

No, right now, the thing he will be ultimately remembered for is the selection of Blake Bortles.  That was the 3rd pick in the draft, and we committed 5 years to trying to develop him, and if he had succeeded, the past few years would have been completely different, and Caldwell would be lionized as the greatest GM in team history.  That pick is by far the most important failure of the Caldwell era.

Good point. I guess I think of Bortles as partially successful because he had good moments even though he was ultimately a disappointment. I don't think Joeckel had any good moments, he was pure bust.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

He's a middling GM who's picked historically bad coaches.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato