Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NASCAR bans confederate flag

Terry Bradshaw Died?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So, all these people with RVs in the infield pull out their Confederate flags, run them up their flagpoles like they always do, and NASCAR does... what?

If they try to enforce this ban, it will be a lot more entertaining than their races are. Who's going to volunteer to go out there and tell a bunch of drunken rednecks they need to haul down that flag?

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020, 06:56 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(06-11-2020, 01:05 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'm cool with it. Can we get some pressure to ban the hammer and the sickle and the sale of Che Guevara t-shirts?

I'm seeking some clarification here. Do you mean NASCAR banning those items from their events or in general? If the former, sure, why not? I don't anticipate much of a push for it, but have at it. If the latter, sorry, but that's a false equivalency. Sales of confederate flags haven’t been prohibited.

Of course it's a false equivalency. The point is there is a concentrated, coordinated attack on the confederate flag, but no one cares about Soviet symbols in America, even though they were as brutal as any regime that ever lived. I'm attacking a narrative, you're trying to nitpick details. Great eye.

(06-12-2020, 11:28 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Of course it's a false equivalency. The point is there is a concentrated, coordinated attack on the confederate flag, but no one cares about Soviet symbols in America, even though they were as brutal as any regime that ever lived. I'm attacking a narrative,  you're trying to nitpick details. Great eye.

Hardly a nitpick. Your argument is total crap because one thing isn't the other. You're missing the main ingredient in whataboutism. Sales of confederate flags will not be banned despite any concentrated, coordinated attack on them.

Of course it's a nitpick. I didn't mince words. I asked if we could generate any pressure to ban the sale of the hammer and sickle and Che Guevara t-shirts. So, while you're fixating on the fact that Nascar banned the flag (as if this was some isolated event with no outside pressure), I am asking where is the pressure to ban ANY of the communist symbolism of the 20th century, one of the most brutal ideologies known to mankind. You won't find it. At least not recently. And not with any real weight behind it. The narrative always flows in one direction.

(06-13-2020, 08:27 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Of course it's a nitpick. I didn't mince words. I asked if we could generate any pressure to ban the sale of the hammer and sickle and Che Guevara t-shirts. So, while  you're fixating on the fact that Nascar banned the flag (as if this was some isolated event with no outside pressure), I am asking where is the pressure to ban ANY of the communist symbolism of the 20th century, one of the most brutal ideologies known to mankind. You won't find it. At least not recently. And not with any real weight behind it. The narrative always flows in one direction.

If there were as many displays of the hammer and sickle as there are of the confederate battle flag, then maybe you could generate some interest in having private companies like NASCAR ban it from their events.  But in actuality, it's very rare, so no one cares.

(06-13-2020, 08:27 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Of course it's a nitpick. I didn't mince words. I asked if we could generate any pressure to ban the sale of the hammer and sickle and Che Guevara t-shirts. So, while  you're fixating on the fact that Nascar banned the flag (as if this was some isolated event with no outside pressure), I am asking where is the pressure to ban ANY of the communist symbolism of the 20th century, one of the most brutal ideologies known to mankind. You won't find it. At least not recently. And not with any real weight behind it. The narrative always flows in one direction.

You are so bad at this.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2020, 11:55 AM by Lucky2Last.)

You even have to copy and paste your burns.

There is only one manufacturer in the US that still sells the rebel flag. It took me a while to find the numbers, but they sell 600-800 flags a year. All other major retailers banned the sale of the rebel flag years ago. You are talking about the smallest fraction of the population still buying these things. Yet, Marty thinks the rebel flag is some widespread phenomenon. It's not. Even if it were, most people don't associate it with slavery or white supremacy (though some certainly do). I understand that it doesn't matter how they personally feel about the flag when it is linked to atrocities. If that's the case, why isn't there a push by a broad swath of society that calls for the abolition of the soviet flag? We fought a war against them, too, but that symbol is allowed to stand. Why? Stop trying to win an argument and just reflect on the question. While you're thinking about it, browse all the options on Amazon and find the one that's right for you.

https://www.amazon.com/communist-flag/s?...unist+flag

The American flag is next. Maybe not tomorrow, but in a few years, we will see the narrative begin to strengthen that our flag glorifies the original 13 colonies and is a symbol of oppression. We will need to remove the stripes to absolve ourselves of our history, when the colonies had slaves and stripped the indigenous peoples of their land. If you think that's absurd, you're not really paying attention. Get on board early.

I am not offended that Nascar banned the flag. They can do what they want. I am pointing out that the narrative flows in one direction. That is it. If you can't understand that from my post, don't know what to tell you.

(06-13-2020, 11:53 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: You even have to copy and paste your burns.

Oh no, I typed it from memory. 
I admit I may not be as good at cracking jokes as you, but, your posts are enough of a joke for both of us.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.