Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Quaker Foods to Rename ‘Aunt Jemima’

LOL.

When are they going to destroy all Harvey Weinstein movies?

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/...-equality/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For most people alive today, Aunt Jemima is just an aunt in a black family who's good at making imitation maple syrup.
But when the Aunt Jemima brand started, in many parts of the country, it would have been unheard of for a white person to call a black person Miss, Mrs, or Mr. If they had a black servant in their household, or a black employee, they were likely to call that person Aunt or Uncle, but nickname plus last name was the most common.
In these same places, it was required for black people to address white people on a miss or mister plus first name, no last name basis.
So my suggestion is to simply change "Aunt Jemima's" to "Miss Jemima's" and Uncle Ben to "Mister Ben's".
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-17-2020, 12:21 PM)mikesez Wrote: For most people alive today, Aunt Jemima is just an aunt in a black family who's good at making imitation maple syrup.
But when the Aunt Jemima brand started, in many parts of the country, it would have been unheard of for a white person to call a black person Miss, Mrs, or Mr. If they had a black servant in their household, or a black employee, they were likely to call that person Aunt or Uncle, but nickname plus last name was the most common.
In these same places, it was required for black people to address white people on a miss or mister plus first name, no last name basis.
So my suggestion is to simply change "Aunt Jemima's" to "Miss Jemima's" and Uncle Ben to "Mister Ben's".

Sure, the term "Aunt Jemima" has been used (with negative inflection) in the past at times to invoke racist connotations.

In that light, I would be ok with your solution (even though it would sound weird) if that is what it took to pacify all the drumbeaters by providing long-earned respect for a human persona.

Of course, Mrs. Butterworth might view said change in branding as an encroachment into her territory.

Won't affect me much, since I was always more of a Log Cabin man, myself.

At least you aren't suggesting we add the words "aunt" and "uncle" to the racist dictionary and associate them with hate speech, so I guess that means you aren't a liberal after all.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(06-17-2020, 11:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: LOL.

When are they going to destroy all Harvey Weinstein movies?

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/...-equality/

Thanks for reminding me.  Went on Amazon and ordered my copy of Beautiful Girls just now.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

The Aunt Jemima Brand started from blackface skit then they found a real black woman to use as a celebrity to still make money off of.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Word on the street is Stacey Abrams or Joe Biden will replace her image on the bottle. Stay tuned...

(06-17-2020, 02:06 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: The Aunt Jemima Brand started from blackface skit then they found a real black woman to use as a celebrity to still make money off of.

One of my acquaintances (white, in case you weren't about to guess) put a little meme clipped from the Wikipedia article on Nancy Green, saying "this was a real woman why are you erasing black history."
I replied, "perfect. Let's rename the syrup Miss Nancy's"
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-17-2020, 02:39 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 02:06 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: The Aunt Jemima Brand started from blackface skit then they found a real black woman to use as a celebrity to still make money off of.

One of my acquaintances (white, in case you weren't about to guess) put a little meme clipped from the Wikipedia article on Nancy Green, saying "this was a real woman why are you erasing black history."

How woke of you.

(06-17-2020, 02:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 02:39 PM)mikesez Wrote: One of my acquaintances (white, in case you weren't about to guess) put a little meme clipped from the Wikipedia article on Nancy Green, saying "this was a real woman why are you erasing black history."

How woke of you.

More like "stroke" with that kind of reasoning.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

How about people use some common sense and not be so triggered about a trivial thing?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My diety, the [BLEEP] company has a logo that conscripts a white religious fanatic for corporate profit.

Why aren't we [BLEEP] rioting yet? THIS CAN NOT STAND!!!!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Mrs. Butterworths tasted better. Just ask Mr. Butterworth.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-17-2020, 02:39 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Yeah the whole history behind the brand was twisted . I never purchased the pankcake mix or syrup.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(06-17-2020, 02:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Word on the street is Stacey Abrams or Joe Biden will replace her image on the bottle. Stay tuned...

It's Madea. They're replacing her with Madea.

Lol

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2020, 05:34 PM by The Drifter.)

The truth behind Aunt Jemima

She was … the first of several African-American models hired to promote a corporate trademark… Her amicable personality and talent as a cook for the Walker family, whose children grew up to become [a] Chicago Circuit judge” and doctor. She had a visible role in raising the children of Charles Walker, and having that relationship helped establish the brand of Aunt Jemima because the Walkers loved her, and when she was hired, they helped spread the word about her getting this job. She was offered by Quaker Oats a lifetime contract to become Aunt Jemima and to promote the pancake mix. “This marked the beginning of a major promotional push by the company that included thousands of personal appearances.” There was all kinds of Aunt Jemima merchandising. Nancy Green, Aunt Jemima, helped organize the Olivet Baptist Church. “Her career allowed her the financial freedom to become an activist and engage in antipoverty programs. She was well paid.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020/...nt-jemima/
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(06-17-2020, 05:30 PM)The Drifter Wrote: The truth behind Aunt Jemima

She was … the first of several African-American models hired to promote a corporate trademark… Her amicable personality and talent as a cook for the Walker family, whose children grew up to become [a] Chicago Circuit judge” and doctor. She had a visible role in raising the children of Charles Walker, and having that relationship helped establish the brand of Aunt Jemima because the Walkers loved her, and when she was hired, they helped spread the word about her getting this job. She was offered by Quaker Oats a lifetime contract to become Aunt Jemima and to promote the pancake mix. “This marked the beginning of a major promotional push by the company that included thousands of personal appearances.” There was all kinds of Aunt Jemima merchandising. Nancy Green, Aunt Jemima, helped organize the Olivet Baptist Church. “Her career allowed her the financial freedom to become an activist and engage in antipoverty programs.  She was well paid.

To be honest, that's not the WHOLE history.  They wanted a "mammy type" personality to be the "face of the brand".  A "mammy" was essentially a slave whose job was to be both "mother" and "nanny" to the children of their owners as well as do other domestic duties.  She was often addressed as "aunt" even though there was no relation.

After the abolishment of slavery there were still many "mammies" that were employed but not enslaved.  They actually received a place of "prominence" in southern families, though not afforded the same "luxuries".  They were loved and endeared by the children that they raised as well as the families who employed them.

It's a part of historical southern culture.

Over time the logo was changed from a "mammy" to a more modern domestic black woman, but the name was never changed.

Just my opinion, but I think a better idea would have been to use the brand name and logo as a teaching moment rather than trying to erase it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Oh dear

(06-17-2020, 06:13 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 05:30 PM)The Drifter Wrote: The truth behind Aunt Jemima

She was … the first of several African-American models hired to promote a corporate trademark… Her amicable personality and talent as a cook for the Walker family, whose children grew up to become [a] Chicago Circuit judge” and doctor. She had a visible role in raising the children of Charles Walker, and having that relationship helped establish the brand of Aunt Jemima because the Walkers loved her, and when she was hired, they helped spread the word about her getting this job. She was offered by Quaker Oats a lifetime contract to become Aunt Jemima and to promote the pancake mix. “This marked the beginning of a major promotional push by the company that included thousands of personal appearances.” There was all kinds of Aunt Jemima merchandising. Nancy Green, Aunt Jemima, helped organize the Olivet Baptist Church. “Her career allowed her the financial freedom to become an activist and engage in antipoverty programs.  She was well paid.

To be honest, that's not the WHOLE history.  They wanted a "mammy type" personality to be the "face of the brand".  A "mammy" was essentially a slave whose job was to be both "mother" and "nanny" to the children of their owners as well as do other domestic duties.  She was often addressed as "aunt" even though there was no relation.

After the abolishment of slavery there were still many "mammies" that were employed but not enslaved.  They actually received a place of "prominence" in southern families, though not afforded the same "luxuries".  They were loved and endeared by the children that they raised as well as the families who employed them.

It's a part of historical southern culture.

Over time the logo was changed from a "mammy" to a more modern domestic black woman, but the name was never changed.

Just my opinion, but I think a better idea would have been to use the brand name and logo as a teaching moment rather than trying to erase it.

Or just do nothing, because literally no one stood up and said, "I think Aunt Jemima is racist."

Lol, there were definitely people doing that. It just hadn't reached national prominence.