Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if there's no college season?

The way things are going, my guess is that college football will be cancelled for 2020-21. At the same time, the greedy NFL will still play- likely without fans in the seats for much of the season. If this prediction comes true, how will the NFL draft be handled? Will college juniors like Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and Penei Sewell be allowed to declare for the draft? What about the players who were planning to play out their senior seasons like Alex Leatherwood and Marvin Wilson? And how will this impact the Jaguars moving forward?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 04:55 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

My logical but long-shot guess is there will be a limited college season starting in the beginning of the Spring Semester, to allow for ONLY in-conference games being played.  As such, each Big 5 teams plays 8 games and Notre Dame is temporarily placed in the ACC Coastal Division so they retain eligibility and battle it out with Clemson for the ACC Title for potential selection to the BCS  (ND is in the ACC for basketball so it kind of makes sense).   Regular season starts January 30 and ends late March 20 --- with the 3 weeks of post-season play being on March 27 (Conf Championships) and BCS Playoffs on April 10 and April 17.  NFL Draft is April 29.

(07-06-2020, 02:02 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The way things are going, my guess is that college football will be cancelled for 2020-21. At the same time, the greedy NFL will still play- likely without fans in the seats for much of the season. If this prediction comes true, how will the NFL draft be handled? Will college juniors like Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and Penei Sewell be allowed to declare for the draft? What about the players who were planning to play out their senior seasons like Alex Leatherwood and Marvin Wilson? And how will this impact the Jaguars moving forward?
They would still be allowed to declare because they would still be juniors just without playing their junior season. No change there. Sucks for the dudes coming back for their senior season but it is what it is.

For the Jags? It likely won’t impact them any different than the other 31 teams.

Interesting question. I think would put increased emphasis on the Combine and personal workouts, because there would be no 2020 game film on the players since they would not have played a 2020 season. Also, of course, we'd have a crop of rookies that hadn't played in a year. That might mean a lot fewer medical issues to sort through.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2020, 10:50 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

So, one could essentially redshirt someone next year so a person could be a 3rd year redshirt freshman --- this would deplete available scholarships to a certain extent if the flow of departures (graduation, nfl) don't continue as usual.  A lot of students will stay as they maintain eligibility in their 5th and 6th year (meaning if a person redshirted in 2019 as a Frosh and takes 2020 off due to no season, he will then be eligible for 4 more years through 2024 season when in reality he should have been done by 2023.

(07-07-2020, 05:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Interesting question.  I think would put increased emphasis on the Combine and personal workouts, because there would be no 2020 game film on the players since they would not have played a 2020 season.   Also, of course, we'd have a crop of rookies that hadn't played in a year.  That might mean a lot fewer medical issues to sort through.

These are some logical points. A couple other things which could come into play:

1. How well did these college athletes take care of their bodies during the year off? If they didn't, this is a good indicator to forget about drafting somebody who lacks the self-discipline required of a professional athlete. On the other hand, those players who have obviously dedicated themselves to stay in shape during the year off would be guys to target due to their work ethic and self-discipline.

2. I'd have to believe that a lot more players would declare for the draft than usual (juniors and seniors like Leatherwood). These guys have learned a lesson that anything can happen (who would have imagined this virus?) in life and they better get their money while they can. This especially applies to the seniors, many of who will get their degree via virtual classes. 

3. On the other hand, the expected player to be drafted number one ( Lawrence?) will have more leverage than any previous number 1 picks. He will know which team will likely select him. If they don't want to play there (like Elway and E. Manning), they can simply return to school unless that team agrees to a trade. Of course, if a player had this attitude I don't think I'd want him anyway.

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 03:43 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Big Ten leaning toward in-conference only games.

this would eliminate Ohio State @ Oregon, Wisconsin vs Notre Dame, Miami @ Mich State, Michigan vs Washington, Penn State vs Va Tech

https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-big-ten...41366.html

If there is no college season we should just crown UF the champions.

It was totally gonna be our year.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020, 09:24 AM by JackCity.)

if theres any college football it'll be in spring

(07-14-2020, 09:24 AM)JackCity Wrote: if theres any college football it'll be in spring

I wonder how they would handle scholarships/redshirts. A bunch of kids are going to be draft eligible after this season. I doubt they will want to play in the spring when they would usually be going to the combine or prodays.

(07-14-2020, 10:51 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 09:24 AM)JackCity Wrote: if theres any college football it'll be in spring

I wonder how they would handle scholarships/redshirts. A bunch of kids are going to be draft eligible after this season. I doubt they will want to play in the spring when they would usually be going to the combine or prodays.

they'd adjust the entire draft process schedule in this scenario. They aren't going to have the senior Bowl during the season for instance

(07-06-2020, 04:50 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: My logical but long-shot guess is there will be a limited college season starting in the beginning of the Spring Semester, to allow for ONLY in-conference games being played.  As such, each Big 5 teams plays 8 games and Notre Dame is temporarily placed in the ACC Coastal Division so they retain eligibility and battle it out with Clemson for the ACC Title for potential selection to the BCS  (ND is in the ACC for basketball so it kind of makes sense).   Regular season starts January 30 and ends late March 20 --- with the 3 weeks of post-season play being on March 27 (Conf Championships) and BCS Playoffs on April 10 and April 17.  NFL Draft is April 29.

Wow ... I called this Smile

Good. This will give the athletes a semester to catch up on their academics. Imagine the perfect path someone like Johnny Manziel could have taken if he just had a nice quiet semester dedicated to academics.

Hehe if academics all of a sudden means drunken binge drinking house partys. Yep he sure would have been on a good path. Would have prepped him well for his after college life.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2020, 06:34 PM by mal234.)

The Big Ten and Pac 12 cancelled their football seasons today. The Big Ten said they will attempt to play football in the spring. I feel bad for the kids that want to play but won't be able to play on teams in these conferences. I do t ahink that the conferences could have found ways to try and possibly play in the safest way possible. But it does seem like a lot of people are driven by fear. And there does seem to be agendas, hypocrisy and some things that make you wonder going on, in light of these decisions. For example Wisconsin's AD Barry Alvarez said that students still could practice 20 hours a week in the fall, even without playing in games. So, the kids will still have constantly contact, but won't be able to play in real games. I could definitely see players from the Big Ten and Pac 12 wanting to transfer to the other conferences. And some colleges have already indicated they are willing to leave these conferences and go play elsewhere. And the Big Ten and Pac 12 being hurt in their recruitment process because of this decision.

I could see why people would be upset about this be allowed to happen, but teams preventing kids from playing in games. And I could see why kids might feel like they are practicing for nothing. And I do see some negative things about playing in the fall, as that is during the height of flu season and it's asking kids to play football two seasons in one year (if they were allowed to play football in 2021). Some people do think that they won't end up playing football in the spring either.

These cancellations will end up causing a lot of problems, including people getting laid off. Barry Alvarez already said that people are going to get laid off as result of fall cancellation.

The ACC, SEC and Big 12 have said anyhing about cancelling their seasons yet. I hope they can find a way to play in a safe manner.

Do you really think they’ll play after several other conferences have opted out? Seems like a PR nightmare waiting to happen for the schools that choose to play!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(08-11-2020, 06:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Do you really think they’ll play after several other conferences have opted out? Seems like a PR nightmare waiting to happen for the schools that choose to play!

I think that the SEC and ACC (and possibly the Big 12) might decide to play. If all three of these major conferences decided to play and could get some other schools to join them like Nebraska and Iowa (who voted against cancelling the fall season) I think it could work. They would definitely have to put the work in regarding doing things like taking safety precautions but it could work. Most pro sports are back right now and overall are operating successfully (NBA, NHL, Nascar, Golf, UFC, etc...) The MLB has had some issues, but they are still pushing on and has started to get things under control again. And the NFL is coming back as of now and haven't had a big surge in positive cases or serious illnesses. I think that all of this could bode well for college conferences that may choose to play. SEC has pushed the season back and that could give them more time to prepare for things.

I do believe that overall the risk to college students regarding the virus is very low. I also think they could be at higher risk away from their teams, medical doctors, trainers, safe protocols and steady testing. Whether that's at home or just on campus around students who aren't receiving the type of care the players would get if they were allowed to play football and be monitored for the virus on a consistent basis.

They are afraid of massive lawsuits if anything goes wrong.