Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump threatened to "go into" Seattle

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-fede...otest-zone

Trump says he was prepared to send federal forces into Seattle to take back the "Chop zone."  Which brings up a few questions:  

Is it legitimate for the federal government to take over local law enforcement without a request from local officials? 

What forces would he have sent in?  The National Guard?  Is the National Guard even trained to do that sort of stuff?  

What federal crimes were being committed in the "Chop zone" that would justify sending in federal forces absent a request from local authorities?  

Do we want the President of the United States sending federal forces in to take control of local areas? <You conspiracy theorists should chew on that one.  ("President declares martial law!")

Is Trump just BS-ing again?  <no need to answer that one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 09:21 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(07-10-2020, 08:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-fede...otest-zone

Trump says he was prepared to send federal forces into Seattle to take back the "Chop zone."  Which brings up a few questions:  

Is it legitimate for the federal government to take over local law enforcement without a request from local officials? 

What forces would he have sent in?  The National Guard?  Is the National Guard even trained to do that sort of stuff?  

What federal crimes were being committed in the "Chop zone" that would justify sending in federal forces absent a request from local authorities?  

Do we want the President of the United States sending federal forces in to take control of local areas? <You conspiracy theorists should chew on that one.  ("President declares martial law!")

I guess the answer would depend on what position you are coming from.

If you are coming from the position of a small business owner in the CHAZ zone that has already been shutdown 3 months due to COVID-19, only to have your business trashed and inaccessible due to domestic terrorists, then yeah, you would probably welcome Federal assistance if your politicians weren't doing their jobs.

If you are coming from a position of not owning a small business and not being anywhere near CHAZ, your opinion is probably different in seeing Federal assistance as government overreach.

(07-10-2020, 08:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-fede...otest-zone

Yes, the federal government can send troops to quell an uprising even if the local government didn't ask for it.
But no, the President can't do that unilaterally.  He can only do so to enforce orders from a federal judge or from Congress.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I honestly don't know the regulations applicable to Fed Gov involvement, but I will state this ...... If I had a business on Main Street and residents blocked off the street and the local gov takes no action, I'd definitely want any form of government at any level to evict the occupants and restore access at the level it was when I invested in said property.

(07-10-2020, 10:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I honestly don't know the regulations applicable to Fed Gov involvement, but I will state this ...... If I had a business on Main Street and residents blocked off the street and the local gov takes no action, I'd definitely want any form of government at any level to evict the occupants and restore access at the level it was when I invested in said property.

I’m curious if any the business owners and residents within CHOP are going to sue the city for inaction. 
I find it difficult to believe that bus loads of enterprising attorneys haven’t moved on it already.

(07-10-2020, 10:55 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I honestly don't know the regulations applicable to Fed Gov involvement, but I will state this ...... If I had a business on Main Street and residents blocked off the street and the local gov takes no action, I'd definitely want any form of government at any level to evict the occupants and restore access at the level it was when I invested in said property.

I’m curious if any the business owners and residents within CHOP are going to sue the city for inaction. 
I find it difficult to believe that bus loads of enterprising attorneys haven’t moved on it already.

I would hope so as they should be made whole by being compensated for lost revenues.  Personally, I just don't understand how people supporting a cause can take actions that adversely impact innocent people.  That goes against the core nature of protests and movements that were most notably recognized in the 60's.

(07-10-2020, 10:32 AM)mikesez Wrote:

Yes, the federal government can send troops to quell an uprising even if the local government didn't ask for it.
But no, the President can't do that unilaterally.  He can only do so to enforce orders from a federal judge or from Congress.

No, he doesn't. You should re-read the Insurrection Act to help with your confusion. He publishes an order to disperse and when they don't he can order in the troops. He can in fact, according to section 252 act unilaterally to do so when, as in the case in Seattle, the local and state governments refuse to act.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 12:36 PM by mikesez.)

(07-10-2020, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:32 AM)mikesez Wrote: Yes, the federal government can send troops to quell an uprising even if the local government didn't ask for it.

No, he doesn't. You should re-read the Insurrection Act to help with your confusion. He publishes an order to disperse and when they don't he can order in the troops. He can in fact, according to section 252 act unilaterally to do so when, as in the case in Seattle, the local and state governments refuse to act.

The Chop/Chaz did not disrupt ordinary federal judicial proceedings, and they did not declare themselves opposed to federal authority, so that law does not apply.

That part of the insurrection act, like I said, needs a federal judge saying, "hey, I made an order and they're not listening!" before it is triggered.

I think the name change was designed to make federal intervention harder.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 01:00 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(07-10-2020, 12:58 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I think the name change was designed to make federal intervention harder.

I heard the name change was because Chaz was being compared to this guy who lived in his moms basement, like all of the new occupants of CHAZ.

[Image: 200.gif]

I thought they declared themselves a zone outside of the rule of law, basically annexing themselves from Seattle, the State, and therefore the US.

(07-10-2020, 01:10 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I thought they declared themselves a zone outside of the rule of law, basically annexing themselves from Seattle, the State, and therefore the US.

Outside of local law, not state or federal.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 01:54 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Did someone say CHAZ

[Image: ca00c7a0dabdcf8a5a98fea0ff2a5b35.jpg]

It was 6 square blocks of Seattle, out of a city of thousands of square blocks. It was completely within the power of the local authorities to move in and take it back any time they wanted to. They did not need federal assistance, therefore it was not a federal issue. It was a local issue. There was no reason for the federal government to invade Seattle. Trump is just full of crap, as usual, trying to act like a tough guy. It would be absurd for the federal government to go in and squash a mouse like the "chop zone."

(07-10-2020, 12:36 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, he doesn't. You should re-read the Insurrection Act to help with your confusion. He publishes an order to disperse and when they don't he can order in the troops. He can in fact, according to section 252 act unilaterally to do so when, as in the case in Seattle, the local and state governments refuse to act.

The Chop/Chaz did not disrupt ordinary federal judicial proceedings, and they did not declare themselves opposed to federal authority, so that law does not apply.

That part of the insurrection act, like I said, needs a federal judge saying, "hey, I made an order and they're not listening!" before it is triggered.

Bull [BLEEP], they continually violated the civil rights of people in the area and the local and state governments did nothing about it, exactly the situation the law was amended to address. Trump absolutely should've squashed them immediately but he played politics with it instead.

(07-10-2020, 02:02 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: It was 6 square blocks of Seattle, out of a city of thousands of square blocks.  It was completely within the power of the local authorities to move in and take it back any time they wanted to.   They did not need federal assistance, therefore it was not a federal issue.  It was a local issue.  There was no reason for the federal government to invade Seattle.   Trump is just full of crap, as usual, trying to act like a tough guy.   It would be absurd for the federal government to go in and squash a mouse like the "chop zone."

Yeah, tell that to the people living and working there that the local and state buffoons refused to help.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The minute the first shot was fired he should have gone in.

I suspect he lost more support from his response to the riots than he did from his handling of the coronavirus.

(07-11-2020, 10:19 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I suspect he lost more support from his response to the riots than he did from his handling of the coronavirus.

Yeh.  Steve Deace pointed out that when you look at Trump's numbers, he's actually held pretty steady in the Minority precincts.  Most Minority Trump Supporters are keyed in with deep conservative values and policy preferences.  He's actually hemorrhaging white voters.  That group is more mercurial and chaos in the streets has made them feel less safe.   I think that the Trump Administrations political take on how this will affect his election chances was extremely wrong headed.  He keeps running ads about how unsafe you would be in Joe Biden's America while Trump's America is descending into a raging dumpster fire.

(07-12-2020, 09:15 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 10:19 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I suspect he lost more support from his response to the riots than he did from his handling of the coronavirus.

Yeh.  Steve Deace pointed out that when you look at Trump's numbers, he's actually held pretty steady in the Minority precincts.  Most Minority Trump Supporters are keyed in with deep conservative values and policy preferences.  He's actually hemorrhaging white voters.  That group is more mercurial and chaos in the streets has made them feel less safe.   I think that the Trump Administrations political take on how this will affect his election chances was extremely wrong headed.  He keeps running ads about how unsafe you would be in Joe Biden's America while Trump's America is descending into a raging dumpster fire.

The message is still accurate, as it is Democratic led cities that are the raging dumpster fire, but it's a complicated message to get across in a 30 second commercial. If the dems gain more power in this next election, state and local elections become even more critical.

(07-12-2020, 09:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 09:15 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Yeh.  Steve Deace pointed out that when you look at Trump's numbers, he's actually held pretty steady in the Minority precincts.  Most Minority Trump Supporters are keyed in with deep conservative values and policy preferences.  He's actually hemorrhaging white voters.  That group is more mercurial and chaos in the streets has made them feel less safe.   I think that the Trump Administrations political take on how this will affect his election chances was extremely wrong headed.  He keeps running ads about how unsafe you would be in Joe Biden's America while Trump's America is descending into a raging dumpster fire.

The message is still accurate, as it is Democratic led cities that are the raging dumpster fire, but it's a complicated message to get across in a 30 second commercial. If the dems gain more power in this next election, state and local elections become even more critical.

"Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Seattle, Minneapolis... these cities have two things in common: the greatly increasing violent crime rates and the Democrat leadership. If elected Joe Biden will spend the 90 minutes every day that he is lucid attempting to make the rest of America look just like the utopias his friends have created in America's formerly great cities. Your vote this November is a choice, a choice between keeping your town great or surrendering it Antifa and Soros-funded far left radicals like Nancy Pelosi who want to destroy America. What will your children say when they learn that you voted for the Democrats and allowed them to destroy your great town? Or will you even get the chance?"

Line 1: Pics of burning cities and graphs of crime rates
Line 2: Pic of Sleepy Joe with various local Dem leaders
Line 3: Picket fence all American town with flag waving in the breeze over a park statue of Washington morphs into an urban wasteland with rioters and defaced monuments then Pelosi and crew on their knees in their Africa garb.
Line 4: Pics of kids playing baseball in the park morphs to pics of murdered city kids from the last two weeks.

I'm Donald Trump, I approve this message, and with your help I'll keep America great.