Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Goya CEO refuses to back down to cancel culture

(07-13-2020, 08:12 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 05:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It's pretty apparent that you not only don't know why he was at The White House, but also what he said in his press conference (a small part of the entire press conference).  He not only praised The President of our country, but also the fact that his grandfather was able immigrate LEGALLY to the United States in search of prosperity and opportunity and how they were able to build and prosper here.  He also talked about giving back to the community and the fact that his company was donating lots of food to food banks (something that they normally do anyway).

The few sentences that have you and your fellow democrat leftists so lathered up are during his remarks and had little to do with his message or the overall reason for the press conference, and was far from "off topic".  He was telling his story and the story of the company that he runs.

By the way... the whole reason for the press conference is because our so-called "racist" President signed an executive order on the White House Hispanic Prosperity Initiative.

I actually have no idea what he said or why he was there.  I'm only reacting to other people's reactions.  Business leaders make appearances with Trump almost weekly. He's organized various advisory boards with CEOs and such on them. It never makes the news. The Goya guy obviously crossed a line.
So okay, I will go ahead and look it up.
So there he is, speaking as a person of Hispanic descent, whose family has had a lot of success in this country, saying that we are lucky to have Trump.  In a Latin American context, yes, we are lucky, but we were lucky before Trump got here. The thing that makes us lucky is that we have multi-party, free and fair elections, we have independent judges, and we have had these things longer than everywhere else. Everywhere else in the Spanish and Portuguese speaking Western hemisphere has had to suffer more revolutionary violence and corruption than us, for precisely this reason.  For him to say that in an election year implies that we will be unlucky to have Biden. And this is inaccurate, in the context he's speaking from. It's the very fact that this country can freely choose Biden that makes us lucky, whether we choose him or not. He meant to imply this, and he knows this is why people are mad at him. If he had not meant to imply this, he would have responded to the criticism, saying "oh I didn't mean it like that." Instead his response has been, "what about free speech?" He meant it, and the thing he meant is not wrong as a matter of taste or opinion, but rather historical fact.

You are the perfect example of a low-information voter.  A few of your fellow democrats only focused on one small phrase in his speech and were "outraged"  triggered so they called for a boycott.  That's all you knew about it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020, 10:12 AM by mikesez.)

(07-14-2020, 10:00 AM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:12 PM)mikesez Wrote: I actually have no idea what he said or why he was there.  I'm only reacting to other people's reactions.  Business leaders make appearances with Trump almost weekly. He's organized various advisory boards with CEOs and such on them. It never makes the news. The Goya guy obviously crossed a line.
So okay, I will go ahead and look it up.
So there he is, speaking as a person of Hispanic descent, whose family has had a lot of success in this country, saying that we are lucky to have Trump.  In a Latin American context, yes, we are lucky, but we were lucky before Trump got here. The thing that makes us lucky is that we have multi-party, free and fair elections, we have independent judges, and we have had these things longer than everywhere else. Everywhere else in the Spanish and Portuguese speaking Western hemisphere has had to suffer more revolutionary violence and corruption than us, for precisely this reason.  For him to say that in an election year implies that we will be unlucky to have Biden. And this is inaccurate, in the context he's speaking from. It's the very fact that this country can freely choose Biden that makes us lucky, whether we choose him or not. He meant to imply this, and he knows this is why people are mad at him. If he had not meant to imply this, he would have responded to the criticism, saying "oh I didn't mean it like that." Instead his response has been, "what about free speech?" He meant it, and the thing he meant is not wrong as a matter of taste or opinion, but rather historical fact.

You are the perfect example of a low-information voter.  A few of your fellow democrats only focused on one small phrase in his speech and were "outraged"  triggered so they called for a boycott.  That's all you knew about it.

You are the perfect example of a person who is not here to learn, only here to justify his core beliefs and hate for the "other".  You only pick up 10% of what I say, then you find something that triggers your hate for the "other" and act on it before you understand.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I’m rubber, you’re glue…  Rolleyes

(07-14-2020, 10:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m rubber, you’re glue…  Rolleyes

+1

Where the heck is the LIKE feature on here?! Bring back the LIKE feature!! I can't believe it was taken away because one person was butthurt by it.

(07-14-2020, 10:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: You are the perfect example of a person who is not here to learn, only here to justify his core beliefs and hate for the "other".  You only pick up 10% of what I say, then you find something that triggers your hate for the "other" and act on it before you understand.

Learn? From you? LOL Laughing . If someone wants your type of learning all they have to do is WIKI any subject and then add a healthy portion of naivety.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(07-14-2020, 10:17 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

+1

Where the heck is the LIKE feature on here?! Bring back the LIKE feature!! I can't believe it was taken away because one person was butthurt by it.

We were told it was more than one person, so many people in fact that the moderators were just overwhelmed with upset people crying about how mean other posters are. But yeah, our resident twit was probably the catalyst.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020, 10:43 AM by mikesez.)

(07-14-2020, 10:17 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

+1

A like button would be fine.
It was the dislikes that created all the issues.

(07-14-2020, 10:23 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 10:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: You are the perfect example of a person who is not here to learn, only here to justify his core beliefs and hate for the "other".  You only pick up 10% of what I say, then you find something that triggers your hate for the "other" and act on it before you understand.

Learn? From you? LOL Laughing . If someone wants your type of learning all they have to do is WIKI any subject and then add a healthy portion of naivety.

I rarely look up American political stuff on Wiki.  I've got a lot of it memorized by now.
If you read my stuff, and say "that came from wiki" but your ideas aren't reflected on wiki, that says my ideas are probably factual, and yours probably aren't.

(07-14-2020, 10:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 10:17 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: +1

We were told it was more than one person, so many people in fact that the moderators were just overwhelmed with upset people crying about how mean other posters are. But yeah, our resident twit was probably the catalyst.

It was at least a few complainers and I was the one who at least one complainer was complaining about.

(07-14-2020, 10:39 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 10:17 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: +1

A like button would be fine.
It was the dislikes that created all the issues.

(07-14-2020, 10:23 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Learn? From you? LOL Laughing . If someone wants your type of learning all they have to do is WIKI any subject and then add a healthy portion of naivety.

I rarely look up American political stuff on Wiki.  I've got a lot of it memorized by now.
If you read my stuff, and say "that came from wiki" but your ideas aren't reflected on wiki, that says my ideas are probably factual, and yours probably aren't.

(07-14-2020, 10:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We were told it was more than one person, so many people in fact that the moderators were just overwhelmed with upset people crying about how mean other posters are. But yeah, our resident twit was probably the catalyst.

It was at least a few complainers and I was the one who at least one complainer was complaining about.

Dislike.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This just shows how no one lets anyone else stake out a middle path anymore.
I definitely agree the Goya CEO said something dumb.
But I think it wasn't so dumb that I'd change my buying habits one way or the other. It's not like he denied the Holocaust or called people monkeys.
Half the country wants me to stop buying the beans.
The other half wants me to buy more.
I just want to tell both sides they are wrong about this.

(07-14-2020, 01:22 PM)mikesez Wrote: This just shows how no one lets anyone else stake out a middle path anymore.
But I think it wasn't so dumb that I'd change my buying habits one way or the other.  It's not like he denied the Holocaust or called people monkeys.

Dumb? Or it disagrees with your political viewpoint?

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020, 01:28 PM by mal234.)

I'm glad that he didn't back down to cancel culture. And while I am not a Trump supporter, I didn't have a problem with his comments/how he expressed them. I am getting very tired of cancel culture like I believe a lot of people are. I also think that a lot of those people who are claiming to boycott Goya products probably didn't really buy much of them to begin with. (Some may not have even bought their products at all).

A lot of the grocery stores in my area usually have the Goya products in the International aisles of the stores. Unless people shop that aisle to get stuff like canned beans, (and most varieties of that are usually on another aisle) it's possible that several people, including some boycotting may not have been that aware of Goya to begin with. (I've also seen quite a few people who are now stocking up on Goya products say they've never heard of the brand before the boycott either.)

So, them boycotting may not really have much of an impact on sales. Especially if people are countering that with buying a lot of Goya products. I'm not surprised about the news about the sales going up. I think people doing bulk buying of the products may have more impact than those who are trying to "cancel" the brand.

(07-14-2020, 01:25 PM)mal234 Wrote: I'm glad that he didn't back down to cancel culture. And while I am not a Trump supporter, I didn't have a problem with his comments/how he expressed them. I am getting very tired of cancel culture like I believe a lot of people are. I also think that a lot of those people who are claiming to boycott Goya products probably didn't really buy much of them to begin with. (Some may not have even bought their products at all).

A lot of the grocery stores in my area usually have the Goya products in the International aisles of the stores. Unless people shop that aisle to get stuff like canned beans, (and most varieties of that are usually on another aisle) it's possible that several people, including some boycotting may not have been that aware of Goya to begin with. (I've also seen quite a few people who are now stocking up on Goya products say they've never heard of the brand before the boycott either.)

So, them boycotting may not really have much of an impact on sales. Especially if people are countering that with buying a lot of Goya products. I'm not surprised about the news about the sales going up. I think people doing bulk buying of the products may have more impact than those who are trying to "cancel" the brand.

I was at Hellmart earlier and the Goya section was definitely picked through and mostly gone and that's hardly ever the case. The cheaper brands usually go first but not today. I did pick up a can of their coconut milk, mostly because it doesn't have a lot of unnecessary additives the brand in the next section has.

(07-14-2020, 01:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 01:22 PM)mikesez Wrote: This just shows how no one lets anyone else stake out a middle path anymore.
But I think it wasn't so dumb that I'd change my buying habits one way or the other.  It's not like he denied the Holocaust or called people monkeys.

Dumb? Or it disagrees with your political viewpoint?

As I said above (1) he's a business man, not a pundit, so it was out of his lane so to speak, (2) what makes us "lucky", much more than the past 3.5 years of Trump being in charge, is 240 years of free speech and freely contested elections, and freedom from foreign domination.

(07-14-2020, 02:47 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 01:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dumb? Or it disagrees with your political viewpoint?

As I said above (1) he's a business man, not a pundit, so it was out of his lane so to speak, (2) what makes us "lucky", much more than the past 3.5 years of Trump being in charge, is 240 years of free speech and freely contested elections, and freedom from foreign domination.

Were his comments in the Obama Whitehouse dumb too?

(07-14-2020, 02:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Were his comments in the Obama Whitehouse dumb too?

Please allow standard allotment of time for required WIKI search.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(07-14-2020, 02:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 02:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: As I said above (1) he's a business man, not a pundit, so it was out of his lane so to speak, (2) what makes us "lucky", much more than the past 3.5 years of Trump being in charge, is 240 years of free speech and freely contested elections, and freedom from foreign domination.

Were his comments in the Obama Whitehouse dumb too?

Were they during an election year?

(07-14-2020, 03:20 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 02:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Were his comments in the Obama Whitehouse dumb too?

Were they during an election year?

You are priceless.  LoL.  Thank you!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

[Image: T3z2fzp.jpg]

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020, 04:29 PM by homebiscuit.)

So anyway, I believe the Goya buy-cott is a truer indicator of how the American public feel about the raging left. The MSM amplification of the riots and statue topplings has driven people into protest fatigue. And in true fashion, thanks to the abetting MSM, the raging left has overshot their mark and revealed the depth of their social injustice desires. There's a difference between righting wrongs and the vengeful punishment of people for their personal opinions or for events over which they had no control. The Goya CEO standing up to the mob was the singular act of mainstream America's weariness and rejection of it all. We can't entirely control the coronavirus, but we can surely say 'enough' to the miscreants.

Thank you, Mr. Unanue.

(07-14-2020, 04:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [Image: T3z2fzp.jpg]

Bwwaaaaaa, thats the pic he reported me for! You should give yourself a warning.