Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How the White House is Trying to Catch Leakers

https://www.axios.com/white-house-leaker...83be8.html

It's an article about how this incredibly paranoid White House is trying to trap leakers. 

"President Trump's chief of staff, Mark Meadows, has told several White House staffers he's fed specific nuggets of information to suspected leakers to see if they pass them on to reporters — a trap that would confirm his suspicions. "

"[font=Atiza, Helvetica,]Meadows, Trump's fourth chief of staff in three and a half years, faces the same problem all of his predecessors face: In the leakiest White House in modern history, how does one possibly satisfy a president who has privately said he feels like he's surrounded by snakes?"[/font]

[font=Atiza, Helvetica,][font=Atiza, Helvetica,]""Leaks drive presidents crazy," Whipple said. "They always have and they always will. But one thing that effective chiefs of staff figure out is that the way you prevent leaks is not by tapping people's phones or threatening to ruin them."[/font][/font]

[font=Atiza, Helvetica,][font=Atiza, Helvetica,][font=Atiza, Helvetica,] ""A good chief of staff knows that the best way to prevent damaging leaks is to stop doing illegal, stupid stuff. "[/font][/font][/font]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

How van they be paranoid if we alk concede this is the most leaky whitehouse in modern history?

Yeah. Terribly slanted article.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 07:21 AM by mikesez.)

(07-13-2020, 06:20 AM)jj82284 Wrote: How van they be paranoid if we alk concede this is the most leaky whitehouse in modern history?

The word leak is actually a useful metaphor.
Think of them as water coming out of a pressurized tank.
The higher the pressure on the inside, the faster the leaks come out.
The pressure to leak is basically the difference between the behavior the President wants you to know about, and the behavior he doesn't want you to know about.
If his private actions match his public persona, there are fewer leaks.

And what a dumb plan.
Even if a staffer is dumb enough to leak something that the chief of staff merely told him in private, that he didn't hear from anyone else, reporters don't usually print anything unless they've heard it from multiple sources.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-13-2020, 06:20 AM)jj82284 Wrote: How van they be paranoid if we alk concede this is the most leaky whitehouse in modern history?

If this is indeed the most leaky White House on modern history, why do you suppose that is?  All the people around Trump are people he himself hired.  Why do you suppose they leak so much?  

I already know the answer.  I'm just wondering what you would say.

(07-13-2020, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

If this is indeed the most leaky White House on modern history, why do you suppose that is?  All the people around Trump are people he himself hired.  Why do you suppose they leak so much?  

Is the intent of your straw man argument to 

A. Enforce your loathe for your president
B. Encourage and applaud illegal activity at the highest levels of government

(07-13-2020, 07:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If this is indeed the most leaky White House on modern history, why do you suppose that is?  All the people around Trump are people he himself hired.  Why do you suppose they leak so much?  

A. People can loathe whatever they want to loathe
B. You mean like canceling the sentence of people who lie to Congress?

(07-13-2020, 07:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If this is indeed the most leaky White House on modern history, why do you suppose that is?  All the people around Trump are people he himself hired.  Why do you suppose they leak so much?  

Where is the straw man and where is the argument?  All I did was ask a couple of questions.  If those questions are uncomfortable for you or anyone else, what does that tell you?

Ummmm, every Chief of Staff has done the same thing. Feeding disinformation is part of the normal course of political business.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-13-2020, 08:16 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 07:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Is the intent of your straw man argument to 

A. People can loathe whatever they want to loathe

Did your POTUS do something illegal?

(07-13-2020, 08:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:16 AM)mikesez Wrote: A. People can loathe whatever they want to loathe

Did your POTUS do something illegal?

We all have the same POTUS.
The ones that we know did illegal things in the last 100 years are Hoover, Nixon, Clinton, and Trump. I was never a big fan of Obama applying the 9/11 AUMF to Libya's government or to randos in tents out in the Yemeni desert, but Trump does that kind of stuff too.

(07-13-2020, 08:40 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Did your POTUS do something illegal?

We all have the same POTUS.
The ones that we know did illegal things in the last 100 years are Hoover, Nixon, Clinton, and Trump. I was never a big fan of Obama applying the 9/11 AUMF to Libya's government or to randos in tents out in the Yemeni desert, but Trump does that kind of stuff too.

You implied commuting a sentence is illegal. Did Trump do anything illegal commuting the sentence of Roger Stone?

(07-13-2020, 08:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:40 AM)mikesez Wrote: We all have the same POTUS.

You implied commuting a sentence is illegal. Did Trump do anything illegal commuting the sentence of Roger Stone?

Perhaps.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-13-2020, 08:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:40 AM)mikesez Wrote: We all have the same POTUS.

Illegal? Not in and of itself. If he did it to reward Stone for not cooperating with prosecutors, that would obviously be illegal.  But it would be hard to prove that this was Trump's sole motivation, unless Trump came out and admitted it.

(07-13-2020, 12:19 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You implied commuting a sentence is illegal. Did Trump do anything illegal commuting the sentence of Roger Stone?

Illegal? Not in and of itself. If he did it to reward Stone for not cooperating with prosecutors, that would obviously be illegal.  But it would be hard to prove that this was Trump's sole motivation, unless Trump came out and admitted it.

No one should ever cooperate with prosecutors, especially high profile confidants of a sitting President.

(07-13-2020, 12:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 12:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: Illegal? Not in and of itself. If he did it to reward Stone for not cooperating with prosecutors, that would obviously be illegal.  But it would be hard to prove that this was Trump's sole motivation, unless Trump came out and admitted it.

No one should ever cooperate with prosecutors, especially high profile confidants of a sitting President.

Normal people go to jail when they don't cooperate.
People with connections avoid jail. 
Most of us don't have those kinds of connections, so, for most of us, cooperating is the best choice.

(07-13-2020, 12:50 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 12:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No one should ever cooperate with prosecutors, especially high profile confidants of a sitting President.

Normal people go to jail when they don't cooperate.
People with connections avoid jail. 
Most of us don't have those kinds of connections, so, for most of us, cooperating is the best choice.

Yeah, sure. Give them the rope with which to hang you. Not surprised you feel that way.

On a side note, this is why conspiracy theories are silly to me. An administration, one where everyone is presumably on the same side, has major trouble keeping information contained. Yet I'm supposed to believe that the government, which is always adversarial, pulls off stuff like assassinations, terrorist attacks and faked moon landings with nary a peep from anyone involved. It's cute that people think government is that competent.

(07-13-2020, 03:38 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: On a side note, this is why conspiracy theories are silly to me. An administration, one where everyone is presumably on the same side, has major trouble keeping information contained. Yet I'm supposed to believe that the government, which is always adversarial, pulls off stuff like assassinations, terrorist attacks and faked moon landings with nary a peep from anyone involved. It's cute that people think government is that competent.

Excellent point.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to BLT? He's vanished in what should be a very high profile time for him to be updating us all.