Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Campbell caught off guard by trade

https://www.genjag.com/jacksonville-jagu...-to-ravens

This is the first time I'm hearing this, so maybe I'm behind. I was under the assumption that the Jags were doing Campbell a "favor" which i guess trading him to the Ravens kinda is, but in a case like this wouldn't you think they would of gave him a heads up about it? Hell, if you are doing him a favor, wouldn't you go to him and see what teams he would like to join? I'm willing to bet there would of been plenty of teams willing to give a 5th for Campbell. 

After hearing this, it legitimately makes me feel like they were just pushing him out to tank on purpose this year. Why would you push someone like him out for a 5th if you intended to compete? This just doesn't sit well with me.
In Dougie I Trust!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2020, 08:59 AM by homebiscuit.)

They were doing him a favor, he just didn’t get a heads up. They’re freeing up cap space to go younger. Tanking is a nonsense argument.

Call it what you want, but they wasn't looking to put the best players on the field. I understood the Bouye trade, i never felt he was as good as the credit he had been given. Campbell on the other hand, thats a total different story. This defensive line took a huge hit.
In Dougie I Trust!

(07-21-2020, 09:05 AM)Hurricane Wrote: Call it what you want, but they wasn't looking to put the best players on the field. I understood the Bouye trade, i never felt he was as good as the credit he had been given. Campbell on the other hand, thats a total different story. This defensive line took a huge hit.

Lots of teams trade away players who are still starters, but getting up there in age.  It's common practice among the better teams.

We basically traded him from Gomer's Delivery Service to Amazon -- we knew we were doing him a favor.

Better a year early than a year too late.
We got something for him instead of paying him big bucks for him to fall off this season and then be cut for nothing after 2020.

Was he surprised? Sure I guess... but an NFL veteran should never be surprised by anything. Especially a bad team in cap trouble making moves to clear cap and gain picks to build toward the future. He knows the business.

They actually probably figured it was a better move than trying to restructure and extend and essentially pay him less, which isn't what he deserved.
They did him a super solid giving him a legit shot at a SB in his waning days. As opposed to him helping us get to .500.

You can do both things though. Try to compete and try to get better for the future. They aren't mutually exclusive. It isn't tanking it's not putting all your eggs in one basket. Which is almost what 2017 seems like looking back now.
They aren't punting 2020 they just know they aren't that close to a SB. So you can build for the future while also expecting to be better than 5-6 wins next season.
Campbell was a great piece of the D. But let's not pretend his absence will sink us.
We'll miss Yan if he doesn't play this season much more than we'll miss Calais.

I can think of 18 million reasons why it was a good deal.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Coughlin's fault!!!
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Last year was bis worst year in his carreer, even he said this. Go back to Carolina game and he was one of the reasons for cmcs big run. Wasn't bad by any means but wasn't a all pro.

Maybe the replacements we got in FA and draft will be just as good maybe not. Can't judge the move till after the season.

(07-21-2020, 10:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I can think of 18 million reasons why it was a good deal.

Yes, no way he is truly worth $18M to start for any team. He's an above average starter, no longer a superstar. But yea, he could be that veteran presence/cheerleader that the Ravens need to make their defense dominating and go all the way. Win-win for both teams.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

He had to know the numbers game would put him somewhere else. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired here. He always seemed to really like Jacksonville.

(07-21-2020, 08:48 AM)Hurricane Wrote: https://www.genjag.com/jacksonville-jagu...-to-ravens

This is the first time I'm hearing this, so maybe I'm behind. I was under the assumption that the Jags were doing Campbell a "favor" which i guess trading him to the Ravens kinda is, but in a case like this wouldn't you think they would of gave him a heads up about it? Hell, if you are doing him a favor, wouldn't you go to him and see what teams he would like to join? I'm willing to bet there would of been plenty of teams willing to give a 5th for Campbell. 

After hearing this, it legitimately makes me feel like they were just pushing him out to tank on purpose this year. Why would you push someone like him out for a 5th if you intended to compete? This just doesn't sit well with me.

NFL teams are not just going to give up picks.

Lots of teams probably expected the Jags to have to cut Campbell due to the cap. That would let them (other teams) could sign him to a cheaper deal with less cap hit in year 1 and without giving up a pick.

The Ravens gave up the pick to basically have first dibs. 

Seriously, if there is one job that DC has generally been above average at, it is getting some return for guys he will have to cut anyways. Well, after the year 1 purge.

Campbell should definitely be remembered as one of the all time great Jaguars. He’s right up there with Big John and Stroud. He broke a long standing record when he had 14.5 sacks. He never had any off the field issues and he was a great leader in the locker room.

His first game in a Jaguars uniform he had like 3.5 sacks vs Houston when we knocked Tom Savage out of the game. And he scored a TD against his old team over in Arizona.

He’s up there with the Jaguar greats in my book.