Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Default Training Camp Thread 2020

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2020, 08:28 PM by Bullseye.)

(08-18-2020, 08:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1295874822073995266

I wanted to see him get vertical. 

Everything I'd seen of him in camp until now has been underneath stuff...a short crossing route and a short out.

Good to see.

(08-17-2020, 01:35 PM)mal234 Wrote: Here is are clips of rookie OL Bartch and Josh Allen in today's practice:

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...4528407553

https://twitter.com/JohnReid64/status/12...9653770240

That was Jernigan that Bartch blocked!  Good job, rook!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2020, 07:30 PM by Bullseye.)

Just found this Bartch v. Jernigan clip...

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...81728?s=20

Bartch looks to have some real skill and power. He looks like he may develop into a core player for this team.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Glad to see Barch playing RG

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2020, 11:39 PM by Dimson.)

Excited for our offense. I think we will have to put up at least 28 a game though.

(08-18-2020, 06:56 PM)uthill Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 02:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Since this thread is becoming the default "camp talk" thread, an interesting note from Hays Carlyon today on the radio announcing he sees Jake Luton as a better passer than Glennon or Dobbs.  

Not necessarily the better QB, as much is to be determined there, but says he throws a noticeably better ball than the other depth.

Very interesting. Also the video of our TE group today was interesting in what they stated. Must watch.
What did they say and where is the video? Lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(08-19-2020, 11:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Glad to see Barch playing RG

And looking good.

I am tired of Cann.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 12:52 AM by Bullseye.)

(08-19-2020, 11:37 PM)Dimson Wrote: Excited for our offense. I think we will have to put up at least 28 a game though.

Yeah.  In order for that NOT to be true, Jernigan will have to be a stud like he was earlier in his career, Hamilton will have to outplay his rookie status, and Bryan/Smoot/Gotsis will have to exceed expectations just for us to even have a respectable defensive line.

If we are playing more 3-4, we will have to find the 3 LBs.  I think Allen has a great present and future as an edge rusher.  Schobert can play well at one ILB spot.  All of the preseason talk has been him at one of the OLB positions, but if we are playing out of a 3-4 then I don't see how that works unless Chaisson is hurt or riding the bench.  Speaking of which, we will need contributions from Chaisson this year.

It's looking like you are right.  I didn't think about it much until now, but it seems like offense will be this team's strength.

I didn't think I would say that this year.

(08-20-2020, 12:22 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 11:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Glad to see Barch playing RG

And looking good.

I am tired of Cann.

He is looking good thus far, but we just got Jernigan off the streets.

I don't know what kind of shape Jernigan is in, though he is definitely a solid pro.

For Bartch to hold his own against Jernigan, even if Jernigan is out of shape at this point, is a credit to Bartch so far. 

I would like for him to win the RG job over Cann and upgrade the position.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 04:02 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-19-2020, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Just found this Bartch v. Jernigan clip...

This is a good example of why I was so high on Bartch when we drafted him. He and Hamilton were by far, my favorite selections. This kid was stuffing the best pass rushers in the draft all week during the Senior Bowl. I know he is projected as an OG and that is great, but he was an OT in college and played that position very well. He was moved around the O-Line at the Senior Bowl and was equally effective. If Cam Robinson fails to get the job done done at LT again, I'd try Bartch there and see how he does. With that said, I'd expect him to start at RG this year and move to LG once we can finally bail on Norwell's ridiculous contract in 2021. 

I am hoping Minshew proves to be the QB of the future, so we don't have to spend a first rounder on Trevor Lawrence. I'd much rather get Oregon LT Penei Sewell. This kid is a rare type of LT. I view him as a Samoan Tony Boselli. In 466 pass-blocking snaps last season, Sewell has allowed just seven pressures and no sacks

(08-20-2020, 03:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Just found this Bartch v. Jernigan clip...

This is a good example of why I was so high on Bartch when we drafted him. He and Hamilton were by far, my favorite selections. This kid was stuffing the best pass rushers in the draft all week during the Senior Bowl. I know he is projected as an OG and that is great, but he was an OT in college and played that position very well. He was moved around the O-Line at the Senior Bowl and was equally effective. If Cam Robinson fails to get the job done done at LT again, I'd try Bartch there and see how he does. With that said, I'd expect him to start at RG this year and move to LG once we can finally bail on Norwell's ridiculous contract in 2021. 

I am hoping Minshew proves to be the QB of the future, so we don't have to spend a first rounder on Trevor Lawrence. I'd much rather get Oregon LT Penei Sewell. This kid is a rare type of LT. I view him as a Samoan Tony Boselli. In 466 pass-blocking snaps last season, Sewell has allowed just seven pressures and no sacks

I don't remember them broadcasting the Senior bowl practices, and I didn't see many clips of the Senior Bowl practices featuring Bartch.  I remember he held up well going against some DEs, but got beat by one of the FL ends...and I seem to recall him getting hurt later in the week, so I couldn't comment on him.  But in the limited clips I have seen  of him in camp, I am encouraged with what I've seen from him.  I still want to see a lot more before I get giddy.

Before I continue, I have to give kudos to you, O-Line, for your mock draft.  I went over to the college board, and saw you predicted we'd take Hamilton in the 3rd round.  You nailed that pick.  I like what little I have seen of him so far, but like everything else in our rookie class, I want to see more of them.

I'm not as down on Norwell as you are.  Yes his contract is big, and he has the knack for the highly visible screw up (see the Carolina game).  But I think overall, he has performed pretty decently for us.  I would be cautios over creating too much change in the OL when we'll have a young QB behind it, whether Minshew or any rookie we may get next year.

Bartch and Hamilton could both end up being steals. It wouldn't surprise me if both are starting sooner rather than later. I believe you were critical of the top 3 picks ( if my memory is correct) when they were taken. I was surprised about that since all three have big-time skillls and were positions of need. Chaisson has been sidelined so far, but have you changed your mind at all about Henderson and Shennault?

(08-20-2020, 09:20 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 03:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is a good example of why I was so high on Bartch when we drafted him. He and Hamilton were by far, my favorite selections. This kid was stuffing the best pass rushers in the draft all week during the Senior Bowl. I know he is projected as an OG and that is great, but he was an OT in college and played that position very well. He was moved around the O-Line at the Senior Bowl and was equally effective. If Cam Robinson fails to get the job done done at LT again, I'd try Bartch there and see how he does. With that said, I'd expect him to start at RG this year and move to LG once we can finally bail on Norwell's ridiculous contract in 2021. 

Bartch and Hamilton could both end up being steals. It wouldn't surprise me if both are starting sooner rather than later. I believe you were critical of the top 3 picks ( if my memory is correct) when they were taken. I was surprised about that since all three have big-time skillls and were positions of need. Chaisson has been sidelined so far, but have you changed your mind at all about Henderson and Shennault?

I hope both ARE steals, and it wouldn't shock me if both are starting early (Hamilton out of necessity given the turnover at D-Line).

As things stand, Bartch has a solid shot at taking AJ Cann's starting spot and Hamilton has a clear path to playing anywhere from 30-60% of the 1 tech snaps.  

They are high on Richardson at LT pushing Cam, so I doubt Bartch gets a looks there.
FWIW - Boselli claims to have watched Richardson's tape at LT last year and says he's got a chance to be a good tackle and should make Cam better.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 03:43 PM by Bullseye.)

Earlier today, Marrone was really talking up the O_line the O Line as a whole, but especially Bartch.  They were working Bartch at C.

Word from various on 1010XL, the offense dominated the defense today, especially the WRs vs. the secondary, which was without Henderson (illness) and Ronnie Harrison (concussion protocol).  They were saying there weren't any blown coverages, but that all of the QBs had good practices, and the WRs were making play after play.

https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...10275?s=20

https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...59777?s=20

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...79718?s=20

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 03:47 PM by Bullseye.)

https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...27400?s=20

https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...27400?s=20

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...06953?s=20

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 03:49 PM by Bullseye.)

Team said there would be a scrimmage on Saturday, and Marron said the next 6 days would be a key in determining starters along lines because of the physical nature of upcoming practices.

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...11840?s=20

https://twitter.com/ashlynrsullivan/stat...42754?s=20

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 04:32 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-20-2020, 09:18 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 03:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is a good example of why I was so high on Bartch when we drafted him. He and Hamilton were by far, my favorite selections. This kid was stuffing the best pass rushers in the draft all week during the Senior Bowl. I know he is projected as an OG and that is great, but he was an OT in college and played that position very well. He was moved around the O-Line at the Senior Bowl and was equally effective. If Cam Robinson fails to get the job done done at LT again, I'd try Bartch there and see how he does. With that said, I'd expect him to start at RG this year and move to LG once we can finally bail on Norwell's ridiculous contract in 2021. 

I don't remember them broadcasting the Senior bowl practices, and I didn't see many clips of the Senior Bowl practices featuring Bartch.  I remember he held up well going against some DEs, but got beat by one of the FL ends...and I seem to recall him getting hurt later in the week, so I couldn't comment on him.  But in the limited clips I have seen  of him in camp, I am encouraged with what I've seen from him.  I still want to see a lot more before I get giddy.

Before I continue, I have to give kudos to you, O-Line, for your mock draft.  I went over to the college board, and saw you predicted we'd take Hamilton in the 3rd round.  You nailed that pick.  I like what little I have seen of him so far, but like everything else in our rookie class, I want to see more of them.

I'm not as down on Norwell as you are.  Yes his contract is big, and he has the knack for the highly visible screw up (see the Carolina game).  But I think overall, he has performed pretty decently for us.  I would be cautios over creating too much change in the OL when we'll have a young QB behind it, whether Minshew or any rookie we may get next year.

I watched all the re-runs of the practices that they played during the wee hours of the night on ESPN. The announcers were even saying how impressive this small school OT was holding up. I don't remember him getting beat on any particular play, as he got better and better as the week went on. It's too bad an ankle injury late in the week kept him from playing in the actual game, but he was dominant at times during the one on one drills and the practices. He certainly didn't look like a small school player. 

Thanks. I was always high on Hamilton. He is a very good run stuffer, but also shows the pass rushing ability to collapse the pocket as well. I see a little bit of a younger version of Marcell Dareus in him.

While I see your point about too much turnover in the O-Line, we cannot have the same type of play that we had last season. Robinson was not good at all, Norwell had way too many high profile "whiffs", RG was a mess and Taylor was a holding "machine." These guys have to get better or we will have limited success..........again. I'd rather change things up than keep sticking with something that doesn't work. As for Norwell, cutting him in 2021 would save us $9 million. That's a lot of savings on an average LG. Keeping him would be a $15 million cap hit. To me, this is a no-brainer.

Here is footage of the one handed catch DJ made in today's practice.

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1296519560678584320

Good write up from John Shipley on today's good day for the offense...

https://www.si.com/.amp-jaguars/nfl/jagu...ssion=true

Between this, and Marrone raving about how good the o-line looks, I really am starting to believe this offense is gonna shock a lot of people this season.

Of course, they may only look good because they are going up against our defense. We are gonna struggle on that side of the ball, undoubtedly.