Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL going full sjw

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2976...k-1-season

I won't be watching the game live now and definitely won't be watching other games with this crap. This may be the end for me. I didn't buy tickets this year because of the terrible moves by the owner, finally had enough after 25 years, and now this.

I wonder if the white players can talk about the racism they have faced being a minority playing football.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-29-2020, 12:22 PM)p_rushing Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2976...k-1-season

I won't be watching the game live now and definitely won't be watching other games with this crap. This may be the end for me. I didn't buy tickets this year because of the terrible moves by the owner, finally had enough after 25 years, and now this.

I wonder if the white players can talk about the racism they have faced being a minority playing football.

Nobody will care what you do so enjoy

(08-29-2020, 12:25 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 12:22 PM)p_rushing Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2976...k-1-season

I have never seen a foreigner so concerned with another country's politics before.

As far as nobody caring, eventually somebody will.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2020, 12:59 PM by homebiscuit.)

Let's not get wrapped around the axle about a week, or even a single game that is dedicated to something which is truly important. A small commitment to a cause is not too much to ask. I understand people watch sports as a distraction from political and social strife, but these are different times.
While granting this is something that should be embraced to broaden dialog, I've also asserted that if it carries on into the season then people will tune out. Sports offers a venue for discussion sign posts, but if it becomes a lectern then it undercuts its value both as a distraction and a token for discussion.

(08-29-2020, 12:25 PM)JackCity Wrote:

You are right that no one will care what 1 individual person does.

The Jags were definitely feeling the effects from the football decisions, I know because there were several discussions with the Jags head of the business side of the team about renewing our tickets.

Check the ratings for the NBA when there is nothing else on but MLB. When you are going to alienate the majority of your fans and tell them they are racist and are the problem, do you really think they will sit and watch the games? Just like Hollywood pushed politics and they lost viewers, the NFL is going to do the same thing.

People don't want to be preached at, told how wrong they are, etc for 3 hours while trying to watch a game.

(08-29-2020, 12:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Let's not get wrapped around the axle about a week, or even a single game that is dedicated to something which is truly important. A small commitment to a cause is not too much to ask. I understand people watch sports as a distraction from political and social strife, but these are different times.
While granting this is something that should be embraced to broaden dialog, I've also asserted that if it carries on into the season then people will tune out. Sports offers a venue for discussion sign posts, but if it becomes a lectern then it undercuts its value both as a distraction and a token for discussion.

It's a small price to pay in order to get football back. If you don't like the message, ignore it, but I need football. It is my escape from all the bad things going on in the world. Right now, all I have is is the occasional UFC event and the rare occurrence when my Tampa Bay Rays play on national TV. Sports is a tool to keep a lot of us grounded and if they throw in some social justice stuff, so be it. I'll still be watching the games.

My plan is simple:

1. Watch the games.
2. Take a note of the commercial sponsors.
3. Send e-mail to said sponsors (with a CC to the broadcast company) that I will not purchase their goods while they sponsor the NFL and their SJW message.
4. Follow through and don't buy their stuff.

Yes, I'm one person. Yes I don't really matter. But yes, my conscience is just fine with that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It's cute that these meatheads actually think that people care about what they think. They are paid entertainment. Start taking away that entertainment value and they will find themselves unemployed.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I am starting to lean your way.  Football should be about football... not politics or the perceived "social injustice" by a few.  It's pretty much why I don't really even watch television anymore.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-29-2020, 01:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 12:25 PM)JackCity Wrote: Nobody will care what you do so enjoy
You are right that no one will care what 1 individual person does.

The Jags were definitely feeling the effects from the football decisions, I know because there were several discussions with the Jags head of the business side of the team about renewing our tickets.

Check the ratings for the NBA when there is nothing else on but MLB. When you are going to alienate the majority of your fans and tell them they are racist and are the problem, do you really think they will sit and watch the games? Just like Hollywood pushed politics and they lost viewers, the NFL is going to do the same thing.

People don't want to be preached at, told how wrong they are, etc for 3 hours while trying to watch a game.

For one, ratings don't actually matter for a leagues sustenance. All that matters is the money comes in via the tv deals and those are only going up and up. Players wages will continue to go up. Secondly tv ratings going down are also closely linked to societal change in how people consume content, there isn't really a link between social justice campaigns and bad ratings. 

The NFL's ratings actually went up

(08-29-2020, 03:44 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 01:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote: You are right that no one will care what 1 individual person does.

For one, ratings don't actually matter for a leagues sustenance. All that matters is the money comes in via the tv deals and those are only going up and up. Players wages will continue to go up. Secondly tv ratings going down are also closely linked to societal change in how people consume content, there isn't really a link between social justice campaigns and bad ratings. 

WOW.   Laughing

You do know that television deals are driven by ratings right?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-29-2020, 01:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote: You are right that no one will care what 1 individual person does.

(08-29-2020, 03:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 03:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: For one, ratings don't actually matter for a leagues sustenance. All that matters is the money comes in via the tv deals and those are only going up and up. Players wages will continue to go up. Secondly tv ratings going down are also closely linked to societal change in how people consume content, there isn't really a link between social justice campaigns and bad ratings. 

WOW.  

It's like he doesn't know the NFL tv deals are up and the NFL wants to increase the $, but with ratings going down already, now add this. I guess being in the UK really confuses him on how ratings are need to fund the league when a lot of tv is funded by the govt over there.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2020, 04:11 PM by JackCity.)

(08-29-2020, 03:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: For one, ratings don't actually matter for a leagues sustenance. All that matters is the money comes in via the tv deals and those are only going up and up. Players wages will continue to go up. Secondly tv ratings going down are also closely linked to societal change in how people consume content, there isn't really a link between social justice campaigns and bad ratings. 

WOW.   Laughing

im assuming you are aware with the huge increase of competition from streaming platforms and the overall popularity of the leagues (driving ad revenue) that TV deals can continue to go up even if ratings stagnate or go down some. Covid will have a larger impact than any ratings stagnation or small depression.

(08-29-2020, 04:02 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

(08-29-2020, 03:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: WOW.  

It's like he doesn't know the NFL tv deals are up and the NFL wants to increase the $, but with ratings going down already, now add this. I guess being in the UK really confuses him on how ratings are need to fund the league when a lot of tv is funded by the govt over there.

I think you guys need to brush up on how modern tv deals operate and function for sports. It's not too late for older people to learn new information

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2020, 05:27 PM by mikesez.)

WOW.   Laughing

They're actually not.  The NFL's TV revenue growth hasn't been strongly linked to its ratings.  The networks generally don't break even selling ads on NFL games (except the Superbowl). Instead, market research has found over and over that being "the network that has the games" makes people trust that network more.  Viewers give new drama, comedy, and reality shows on that network more of a benefit of the doubt because they assume the production values will be high.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

How about the whole world boycott sports until racial justice has been solved, you know... as a show of solidarity, .

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2020, 05:43 PM by p_rushing.)

(08-29-2020, 04:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 03:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: WOW.  

im assuming you are aware with the huge increase of competition from streaming platforms and the overall popularity of the leagues (driving ad revenue) that TV deals can continue to go up even if ratings stagnate or go down some. Covid will have a larger impact than any ratings stagnation or small depression.

(08-29-2020, 04:02 PM)p_rushing Wrote: It's like he doesn't know the NFL tv deals are up and the NFL wants to increase the $, but with ratings going down already, now add this. I guess being in the UK really confuses him on how ratings are need to fund the league when a lot of tv is funded by the govt over there.

I think you guys need to brush up on how modern tv deals operate and function for sports. It's not too late for older people to learn new information
Ratings are including streaming platforms. If you are in the ratings, you log what you watch, it doesn't matter if it is on OTA, TV service, or streaming. The games are still on the same station no matter the distribution method.

With the ratings going do, less money being available and/or spent on ads, no new shows to advertise for, and budgets cut, the contracts will have to go down. Now with mixing politics together, it's going to hurt even more. People have lived without sports and the ratings haven't been great since they came back. People have figured out there is plenty of other things to do on the weekends.

If they interrupt the game to tell me how a spoiled millionaire was discriminated when he has been given whatever since high school, I'm not going to sit through that. If they do instead of a commercial, I can live with fast forwarding.

Their feelings are nothing but growing up poor and stupid. It has nothing to do with race as other races in the same environment have the same issues.

Did you read what you wrote?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(08-29-2020, 05:40 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 04:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: im assuming you are aware with the huge increase of competition from streaming platforms and the overall popularity of the leagues (driving ad revenue) that TV deals can continue to go up even if ratings stagnate or go down some. Covid will have a larger impact than any ratings stagnation or small depression.

Ratings are including streaming platforms. If you are in the ratings, you log what you watch, it doesn't matter if it is on OTA, TV service, or streaming. The games are still on the same station no matter the distribution method.

With the ratings going do, less money being available and/or spent on ads, no new shows to advertise for, and budgets cut, the contracts will have to go down. Now with mixing politics together, it's going to hurt even more. People have lived without sports and the ratings haven't been great since they came back. People have figured out there is plenty of other things to do on the weekends.

If they interrupt the game to tell me how a spoiled millionaire was discriminated when he has been given whatever since high school, I'm not going to sit through that. If they do instead of a commercial, I can live with fast forwarding.

Their feelings are nothing but growing up poor and stupid. It has nothing to do with race as other races in the same environment have the same issues.

Ratings do not include the vast amounts of people who cut the cord and watch through methods which aren't technically legal. Also, the NFL ratings have gone up despite a huge increase in civil rights awareness on the average game day. So your hypothesis isn't even accurate, people who are triggered by awareness campaigns are a tiny minority. 

And to add to that the TV deals the NFL and NBA sign will be bigger than that previous one they signed. That's how these things work, the cap would only go down due to revenue lost from covid, not revenue lost from TV deals.

NFL ratings down 12.3%, with nothing else on to watch

https://deadline.com/2020/09/nfl-ratings...234575251/

I didn't watch last night. I discovered Bosch on Amazon Prime and that has been occupying my week nights.

I'm sure the Jaguar on field product won't make me fall in love with the game again.