Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
JAGS 2021 Outlook - What will Khan do?

Does Khan keep the FO and coaching staff for 2021 regardless of record? I hope not.

2021 Total Cap Liabilities: $131,588,000
  • Top 51: $119,591,663
  • Team Cap Space: $89,656,498 (Currently)
  • Offense: $59,633,455

• Defense: $62,158,970

• Special: $6,943,239
Draft Picks: (Currently)

Round One: Jags, Rams
Round Two: Jags, Vikings
Round Three: Jags
Round Four: Jags Rams
Round Five: Jags
Round Six: Jags
Round Seven: Jags

With said Cap space above, the following current players will be off the books for 2021: (From top 51 Salaries 2020)

Fournette
Hayden
Abry Jones
Smoot
Conley
Cole
Westbrook
Cam Robinson
Thompson
Shatley
Marsh
Jernigan
Glennon
Brock
Dobbs
Herndon
Davis

I don't see many players here the Jags will resign above with the exception of a few stop gap players, or players that improve in 2020. IMO Hayden would be my first player to resign. My stop gap players (Depth) if they are not picked up by anyone else and have a successful 2020 year would be Jernigan, Smoot, Cole, Robinson, Shatley, and Herndon. None of these players will require a huge mega contract in 2021 leaving the Jags with tons, TONS of cap space in FA. 

Notable FA's: (I'm sure there are more)

Juju Smith - WR
Chris Godwin - WR
Will Fuller - WR
Cooper Kupp - WR

Hunter Henry - TE

Ronnie Stanley - T
David Bakhtiari -T

Joe Thuney - G

Matt Judon - Edge
Melvin Ingram - Edge

Shaq Griffin - CB

So there is most definitely lots of potential both in the draft and FA to rebuilt a solid team with the current young talent the Jags have going into 2021. Who will be driving the franchise both in the FO and Coaching staff? I like Martin Mayhew (for GM), and Robert Saleh (for Head Coach). Mayhew has the experience and is probably itching for another opportunity to run an organization, and what do I need to say about Saleh. Saleh brings the JUICE and should see interest as a HC in 2021. 

IMO these two would recruit a strong FO and coaching staff to bring back Jacksonville to a respectable level. 

What say you......
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Nice post.

(08-30-2020, 04:18 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: Does Khan keep the FO and coaching staff for 2021 regardless of record? I hope not.

2021 Total Cap Liabilities: $131,588,000
  • Top 51: $119,591,663
  • Team Cap Space: $89,656,498 (Currently)
  • Offense: $59,633,455

• Defense: $62,158,970

• Special: $6,943,239
Draft Picks: (Currently)

Round One: Jags, Rams
Round Two: Jags, Vikings
Round Three: Jags
Round Four: Jags Rams
Round Five: Jags
Round Six: Jags
Round Seven: Jags

With said Cap space above, the following current players will be off the books for 2021: (From top 51 Salaries 2020)

Fournette
Hayden
Abry Jones
Smoot
Conley
Cole
Westbrook
Cam Robinson
Thompson
Shatley
Marsh
Jernigan
Glennon
Brock
Dobbs
Herndon
Davis

I don't see many players here the Jags will resign above with the exception of a few stop gap players, or players that improve in 2020. IMO Hayden would be my first player to resign. My stop gap players (Depth) if they are not picked up by anyone else and have a successful 2020 year would be Jernigan, Smoot, Cole, Robinson, Shatley, and Herndon. None of these players will require a huge mega contract in 2021 leaving the Jags with tons, TONS of cap space in FA. 

Notable FA's: (I'm sure there are more)

Juju Smith - WR
Chris Godwin - WR
Will Fuller - WR
Cooper Kupp - WR

Hunter Henry - TE

Ronnie Stanley - T
David Bakhtiari -T

Joe Thuney - G

Matt Judon - Edge
Melvin Ingram - Edge

Shaq Griffin - CB

So there is most definitely lots of potential both in the draft and FA to rebuilt a solid team with the current young talent the Jags have going into 2021. Who will be driving the franchise both in the FO and Coaching staff? I like Martin Mayhew (for GM), and Robert Saleh (for Head Coach). Mayhew has the experience and is probably itching for another opportunity to run an organization, and what do I need to say about Saleh. Saleh brings the JUICE and should see interest as a HC in 2021. 

IMO these two would recruit a strong FO and coaching staff to bring back Jacksonville to a respectable level. 

What say you......

I like the thinking ahead aspect of your post.

However, that's also the flaw in your post.

Because of Covid 19, next year's cap talk is largely moot.  The salary cap is based on revenues, and i can not imagine revenues being high enough this year to meet the expected cap next year.  Unless there is a major agreement to adjust the salaries somehow, the cap should be appreciably lower than it is this year, and a lot more people around the league will be cut.

On a related note, projecting next year's free agency is a crap shoot in regular years.  We all start of salivation over lists of potential free agents, only to find that once free agency has arrived, most of them have either been franchised by their original teams, or they have been re-signed.  Factoring the salary cap and Covid related chaos, there's no telling who and who will not be available on the open market next spring.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I see Smoot, Robinson, and Herndon being re-signed at a minimum.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(08-30-2020, 07:40 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I see Smoot, Robinson, and Herndon being re-signed at a minimum.

I agree

I just wanna get through 2020 before thinking about 2021 too much.

But I'll say this, if we finally move on from Caldwell and Doug due to a poor enough season (I think it'll take a 4 win or less season) I'm still liking the idea of Riddick/Bieniemy as a GM/HC combo.
As per the cap and FA... well as noted above with the uncertainty of this year some of those things will be approached differently. Though we will have plenty of $ to spend if need be. I've even heard it floated as perhaps ending up an uncapped year by old man Vic.

I'll say one final thing about 2021. I think Khans plan is to give DC and Doug a soft reboot after the Coughlin mess. With the idea being this year and next. So for those holding out hope for a change, it'll likely require a really bad 2020, which some expect anyway it seems.
Personally I'd rather get better this year, even if it means keeping Dave and Doug.

Dave did not approach free agency and the draft like he has to worry about his job this offseason. I also appreciate that we're just gonna skip the season that hasn't started yet to talk about what our dissociative owner will do next year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Both will be back for 2021.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2020, 01:31 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-01-2020, 12:55 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Both will be back for 2021.

[Image: giphy.gif]

We have a ton of cap space, but the problem is that our team's reputation is trashed among NFL players, so I don't expect any top free agents to come here.

Well, I'm afraid you're right. 
those two butts are probably saved by the virus bell.
Just something else that covid has done to us all....
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(09-01-2020, 01:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

[Image: giphy.gif]

We have a ton of cap space, but the problem is that our team's reputation is trashed among NFL players, so I don't expect any top free agents to come here.

I think we need to quit thinking about top free agents, and concentrate on what the good teams do, which is draft and develop.

I feel the pessimism with that comment, because I am there with you.  But given there records (especially Caldwell's), the whole thing NEEDS to be blown up at the end of this season unless dramatic improvement is shown.  Many GM's and coaches have been shown the door much sooner and with better records.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(09-01-2020, 01:42 PM)Mowerguy Wrote:

Well, I'm afraid you're right. 
those two butts are probably saved by the virus bell.
Just something else that covid has done to us all....
They were saved when they both kept their job this season. Khan isn't going to fire people, TC would still be here if he didn't break the rules when he was a stickler for following the rules.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

After recent events, I am leaning hard into the idea that Khan wants to move the team.

There is no reason to sign off on your GM since 2013 with an atrocious record to fire sale your team of solid/decent players after a promising 6-10 campaign with a very young and promising QB. We have chased off elite talent(Fowler, Ramsey, Yan), released solid players(Fournette), and now trading away average players in an already weak position group(Harrison).

It's clear they don't give a damn about this or next season. They want to fracture fan support and move, thats my tin foil, yet humble opinion. That's what is happening. Marrone and Caldwell will keep their jobs no matter what until we move, we are witnessing diet Kroenke in action boys and girls. Enjoy the Jacksonville Jaguars while you can.

Bologna Sandwiches all around. I don't believe Dave, Marrone, or Wash has any change of losing their job. I don't think 0-16 will due it. There are tons of excuses.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(09-03-2020, 08:20 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: After recent events, I am leaning hard into the idea that Khan wants to move the team.

There is no reason to sign off on your GM since 2013 with an atrocious record to fire sale your team of solid/decent players after a promising 6-10 campaign with a very young and promising QB. We have chased off elite talent(Fowler, Ramsey, Yan), released solid players(Fournette), and now trading away average players in an already weak position group(Harrison).

It's clear they don't give a damn about this or next season. They want to fracture fan support and move, thats my tin foil, yet humble opinion. That's what is happening. Marrone and Caldwell will keep their jobs no matter what until we move, we are witnessing diet Kroenke in action boys and girls. Enjoy the Jacksonville Jaguars while you can.

At this point I'm kinda hoping you are right. I'm too loyal to abandon this sh!tshow of a team, but a move would make me feel better about it and i wouldn't look back.
In Dougie I Trust!

(09-01-2020, 01:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 01:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I think we need to quit thinking about top free agents, and concentrate on what the good teams do, which is draft and develop.

We agree. The team is positioning itself to buildup and develop young talent.

Some of you need a Midol.

(09-04-2020, 07:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 01:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think we need to quit thinking about top free agents, and concentrate on what the good teams do, which is draft and develop.

We agree. The team is positioning itself to buildup and develop young talent.

Are we though? We were "developing" young talent in Ramsey, Fowler Jr. and Ngakoue. Where are they now? It seems as though we've been developing talent for other teams, recently. That's not helpful at all.

(09-04-2020, 08:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 07:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: We agree. The team is positioning itself to buildup and develop young talent.

Are we though? We were "developing" young talent in Ramsey, Fowler Jr. and Ngakoue. Where are they now? It seems as though we've been developing talent for other teams, recently. That's not helpful at all.

Still, draft and develop is the preferred road to success.  That's what the best teams do.  "Top free agents" usually wind up being waaaaay overpriced compared to what you get.  So, IF you are right that top free agents don't want to come here, I'm not concerned about that.

(09-04-2020, 08:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 08:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Are we though? We were "developing" young talent in Ramsey, Fowler Jr. and Ngakoue. Where are they now? It seems as though we've been developing talent for other teams, recently. That's not helpful at all.

Still, draft and develop is the preferred road to success.  That's what the best teams do.  "Top free agents" usually wind up being waaaaay overpriced compared to what you get.  So, IF you are right that top free agents don't want to come here, I'm not concerned about that.

Added to that, citing players who had problems with Tom Coughlin and decided to leave can't be applied to the rest of the team. They're all gone now and we have a clean slate. Plus, top free agents will go where the money is. If the Jags offer more than any other team, they'll play here. It's time to let go of this schoolyard mentality when it comes professional sports.