Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Watson gets a new contract

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2020, 11:25 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

They gonna regret this when the see him without Hopkins

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2981...google.com

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Smart by him to sign it now. Stupid by the Texans as the cap is going down and they just paid last year and this year prices. All contracts will have to come down some starting next season.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(09-05-2020, 01:44 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Smart by him to sign it now. Stupid by the Texans as the cap is going down and they just paid last year and this year prices. All contracts will have to come down some starting next season.

Not for QBs

(09-05-2020, 01:48 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 01:44 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Smart by him to sign it now. Stupid by the Texans as the cap is going down and they just paid last year and this year prices. All contracts will have to come down some starting next season.

Not for QBs
He signed a $40 million/yr deal. New deals will certainly have to take that into account.

They were 35 million over the cap for 2021 without this signing. They are going to have some SERIOUS cap hell.

Their entire cap is tied up in: Watson, Watt, Tunsil & David Johnson. I don't see them being any better than they were last year, without hopkins and Watt aging I can't see them having the $$/cap-space to get the remaining pieces they need to get over the top or past a team like the Chiefs. Cap Hell is an understatement.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

So Spotrac has their new cap situation. They were able to move about about 8.5 million of his cap hit to 2020. Next years hit is actually lower. Now they are only about 8 million over the cap. I'd love to see a before and after snapshot. They pile the money into 2022 and 2023 but those are the years that JJ Watt comes off the books (if he is gone).

So compared to some teams like the Saints (who are currently 69 million over the 2021 cap) they are not THAT bad off.

Watson deserved it, just wish I could go back to 2017.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(09-06-2020, 12:31 AM)newporttom Wrote: So Spotrac has their new cap situation.  They were able to move about about 8.5 million of his cap  hit to 2020.  Next years hit is actually lower.  Now they are only about 8 million over the cap. I'd love to see a before and after snapshot. They pile the money into 2022 and 2023 but those are the years that JJ Watt comes off the books (if he is gone).

So compared to some teams like the Saints (who are currently 69 million over the 2021 cap) they are not THAT bad off.

He does deserve this but It will certainly have some consequences. 

The saints being in cap trouble is a little different seeing as they have routinely been to the NFCCG. Their division has gotten tougher with Tampa coming in strong this year but they are still favored.

Texans have not had a string of deep post season runs and some would argue they aren’t even in the top half of their division. Not to mention they just lost arguably one of the best WRs in the league. It isn’t a stretch to forecast Watson having a drop off. 

Being in cap hell and still needing quite a few pieces is not a good situation.

(09-07-2020, 11:09 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: Watson deserved it, just wish I could go back to 2017.

If we could it wouldnt be to draft him

I wonder about Obrien not doing Watson any favors. What does it say about Marrone that Obrien is a better coach then him?

It will be interesting to see what we do this week. Our division is fairly wide open.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 11:57 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Watson gets paid and he is still surrounded by crap. His O-line sucks, he no longer has a go to receiver and the defense can't get pressure or cover faster receivers. I'll be surprised if O'Brien survives the season.

(09-10-2020, 11:10 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I wonder about Obrien not doing Watson any favors. What does it say about Marrone that Obrien is a better coach then him?

It will be interesting to see what we do this week. Our division is fairly wide open.

I think Indy is gonna run away with the division. Tennessee could surprise me though. Houston just lost too many vital parts and didn't do enough to replace them. If we can get pressure on Watson, I could see us splitting with them.

(09-10-2020, 11:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Watson gets paid and he is still surrounded by crap. His O-line sucks, he no longer has a go to receiver and the defense can't get pressure or cover faster receivers. I'll be surprised if O'Brien survives the season.

(09-10-2020, 11:10 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I wonder about Obrien not doing Watson any favors. What does it say about Marrone that Obrien is a better coach then him?

I think Indy is gonna run away with the division. Tennessee could surprise me though. Houston just lost too many vital parts and didn't do enough to replace them. If we can get pressure on Watson, I could see us splitting with them.

Or it won't matter if we pressure Watson when David Johnson runs for 170 yards each game.

Watson surely isn't in the same class as Mahomes, but he is no scrub. He's a warrior, and a damn good QB. He's just not great yet. He needs to get out of Houston and that crap show that BOB is running.. dude was running for his life all night last night, with no true no.1 receiver to bail him out. I hope he isn't drinking the koolaid and understands just how bad of a coach/GM BOB is. The kid deserves better than to get humiliated in the season opener.

(09-11-2020, 08:16 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Watson surely isn't in the same class as Mahomes, but he is no scrub. He's a warrior, and a damn good QB. He's just not great yet. He needs to get out of Houston and that crap show that BOB is running.. dude was running for his life all night last night, with no true no.1 receiver to bail him out. I hope he isn't drinking the koolaid and understands just how bad of a coach/GM BOB is. The kid deserves better than to get humiliated in the season opener.

Well he just agreed to that extension so I doubt he goes anywhere soon

(09-11-2020, 07:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 11:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Watson gets paid and he is still surrounded by crap. His O-line sucks, he no longer has a go to receiver and the defense can't get pressure or cover faster receivers. I'll be surprised if O'Brien survives the season.

Or it won't matter if we pressure Watson when David Johnson runs for 170 yards each game.

That could very well happen.

(09-11-2020, 07:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

That's assuming DJ makes it to week 5 considering he already got dinged up at one point last night, granted he came back in.

I dont see the Texans even making it to .500 without Hopkins

Whats funny is our QB is better than the 160 mil dollar QB

(09-21-2020, 04:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Whats funny is our QB is better than the 160 mil dollar QB
Lol

Jumped the gun again.