Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***official Fire Todd Wash Thread - 2020***

(09-24-2020, 11:54 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 11:49 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Good god man. This has to end.

Run a blitz, like once, ever.

He's too scared to with our DBs. We just have to face it, our defense sucks. Just like a fresh O Cord has changed our offense, we need a new D Cord. Goldberg isn't it.

I mean, our DBs are getting burnt anyway. What's the difference?

I think the defense has plenty of talent to at least not be such a liability, it's just horribly utilized.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 12:04 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-25-2020, 12:00 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 11:54 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: He's too scared to with our DBs. We just have to face it, our defense sucks. Just like a fresh O Cord has changed our offense, we need a new D Cord. Goldberg isn't it.

I mean, our DBs are getting burnt anyway. What's the difference?

I think the defense has plenty of talent to at least not be such a liability, it's just horribly utilized.

Talent?!?!?!  Who????  Allen was gift-wrapped his first sack of the year, but it wasn't earned.  He is slightly above average.  Jack is slightly above average. Then who?  Henderson looks like a bust already... too soon to make that call, but unimpressive.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We all know Wash is TRASH and should of been let go years ago, but let’s be honest there really is no saving this defense anyways.

(09-25-2020, 12:03 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:00 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I mean, our DBs are getting burnt anyway. What's the difference?

Talent?!?!?!  Who????  Allen was gift-wrapped his first sack of the year, but it wasn't earned.  He is slightly above average.  Jack is slightly above average. Then who?  Henderson looks like a bust already... too soon to make that call, but unimpressive.

Lol. Henderson played two terrific games before tonight. Wipe your tears away and go to sleep.

(09-25-2020, 12:05 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:03 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Talent?!?!?!  Who????  Allen was gift-wrapped his first sack of the year, but it wasn't earned.  He is slightly above average.  Jack is slightly above average. Then who?  Henderson looks like a bust already... too soon to make that call, but unimpressive.

Lol. Henderson played two terrific games before tonight. Wipe your tears away and go to sleep.

Terrific?  You and I have different standards of terrific.  He was better than today, but "terrific"?  Wow...
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Todd isn’t the problem, he’s a problem but talent is the real root problem.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(09-25-2020, 12:07 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Todd isn’t the problem, he’s a problem but talent is the real root problem.

100% accurate.

Todd is definitely the problem. We were getting gashed in 2018 when we still had all of our elite talent on defense. He refuses to change or adjust his Seattle scheme. It doesn't work. It's dated, and he needs to no longer be an NFL DC. The fact that he's hung around since 2013 when we've fielded some of the worst defenses in franchise history is hilarious. Dude is a certified bum. Get him the [BLEEP] out of Jacksonville.

Todd's scheme and play calling cannot make any of these players better, it usually makes them worse.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I agree that his scheme is outdated. I think even when the defense was elite, the players recognized the scheme was a hinderance. It is time to move on.

(09-25-2020, 08:58 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Todd is definitely the problem. We were getting gashed in 2018 when we still had all of our elite talent on defense. He refuses to change or adjust his Seattle scheme. It doesn't work. It's dated, and he needs to no longer be an NFL DC. The fact that he's hung around since 2013 when we've fielded some of the worst defenses in franchise history is hilarious. Dude is a certified bum. Get him the [BLEEP] out of Jacksonville.

And let's be honest, it's not even working that well in Seattle these days.

We have pieces that I think would perform significantly better in a different scheme. This soft zone, no blitzing, nonsense just doesn't work. 

And it also amazes me that fans can and have realized this but the guys in charge refuse to. They've had no problem churning through OCs

It's both. Wash sucks, and we lack talent to be a good D in any scheme.

Let's just hope the offense can find a groove again.

I'm with this. Our defense is as vanilla as it gets... I can't actually believe he's still here. It's been obvious for a while that what he does has been figured out.

It seems like we never blitz, and on the few occasions we do blitz we don't even get to the QB. Maybe that's why he doesn't bother with it often lol?

No but seriously, Wash sucks. I'm all for a new D coordinator. This may be the worst defense in the entire league.

(09-25-2020, 12:07 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Terrific?  You and I have different standards of terrific.  He was better than today, but "terrific"?  Wow...

He is a rookie with no real training camp and no preseason. He's not going to be an all star straight out of the gate. That kind of talent and ability is rare. 

I get so tired of people expecting Pro Bowl players in their rookie season.  Wallbash

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 10:36 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-25-2020, 10:04 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:07 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Terrific?  You and I have different standards of terrific.  He was better than today, but "terrific"?  Wow...

He is a rookie with no real training camp and no preseason. He's not going to be an all star straight out of the gate. That kind of talent and ability is rare. 

I get so tired of people expecting Pro Bowl players in their rookie season.  Wallbash

Not expecting a pro bowler as a rookie... but I am expecting a capable starter in the secondary from a first round pick.  In fairness to Henderson, I was harsh on him with my comments last night... he had played decent the previous two games.  

I am just tired of Caldwell apologists proclaiming all this Draft success every Spring when we consistently get our teeth kicked in every Fall.  We are talent deficient throughout the roster, but REALLY bad on defense.  If we Draft good, why don't we play good? Its YEAR EIGHT. Maybe because we don't Draft good? It embarrassing.

(09-25-2020, 10:34 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 10:04 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: He is a rookie with no real training camp and no preseason. He's not going to be an all star straight out of the gate. That kind of talent and ability is rare. 

Not expecting a pro bowler as a rookie... but I am expecting a capable starter in the secondary from a first round pick.  In fairness to Henderson, I was harsh on him with my comments last night... he had played decent the previous two games.  

I am just tired of Caldwell apologists proclaiming all this Draft success every Spring when we consistently get our teeth kicked in every Fall.  We are talent deficient throughout the roster, but REALLY bad on defense.  If we Draft good, why don't we play good?  Its YEAR EIGHT.  Maybe because we don't Draft good?  It embarrassing.

Yep, its year 8 of the Gus Bust defense called by his protege who sucks.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-25-2020, 11:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 10:34 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Not expecting a pro bowler as a rookie... but I am expecting a capable starter in the secondary from a first round pick.  In fairness to Henderson, I was harsh on him with my comments last night... he had played decent the previous two games.  

I am just tired of Caldwell apologists proclaiming all this Draft success every Spring when we consistently get our teeth kicked in every Fall.  We are talent deficient throughout the roster, but REALLY bad on defense.  If we Draft good, why don't we play good?  Its YEAR EIGHT.  Maybe because we don't Draft good?  It embarrassing.

Yep, its year 8 of the Gus Bust defense called by his protege who sucks.

I hear you.  I am not saying Wash isn't a problem, but THE problem is Caldwell.  We seemed to blitz more last night.  Other than one 3rd down where we got off the field, we got smoked when we blitzed.  If you are Wash, how do you fix this?  You can't make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what....

(09-25-2020, 11:47 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 11:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yep, its year 8 of the Gus Bust defense called by his protege who sucks.

I hear you.  I am not saying Wash isn't a problem, but THE problem is Caldwell.  We seemed to blitz more last night.  Other than one 3rd down where we got off the field, we got smoked when we blitzed.  If you are Wash, how do you fix this?  You can't make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what....

Just saying we blitzed doesn't mean it was an effective blitz. If you don't bring more than can be blocked, the blitz is worthless and generally the blitzes are not bringing more than can be blocked.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 01:13 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-25-2020, 12:30 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 11:47 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I hear you.  I am not saying Wash isn't a problem, but THE problem is Caldwell.  We seemed to blitz more last night.  Other than one 3rd down where we got off the field, we got smoked when we blitzed.  If you are Wash, how do you fix this?  You can't make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what....

Just saying we blitzed doesn't mean it was an effective blitz. If you don't bring more than can be blocked, the blitz is worthless and generally the blitzes are not bringing more than can be blocked.

Its not as simple as that.  You can't guarantee a free blitzer even if you rush 6 because the offense can leave a back and/or tight end in to protect.  You blitz to get one-on-one pass protection match-ups with your best rushers.  You need to win on those, and we don't.  That is a TALENT problem. Allen is our best pass rusher and he has been terrible this year... he is not beating anyone on the rush.  His "sack" last night was a gimme by Fitz to keep the clock running rather than throw the ball out of bounds.

I'm all for hearing your tactical strategies to fix this mess though.  I just don't see it being done with our current personnel.  What do you propose?

(09-25-2020, 08:58 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Todd is definitely the problem. We were getting gashed in 2018 when we still had all of our elite talent on defense. He refuses to change or adjust his Seattle scheme. It doesn't work. It's dated, and he needs to no longer be an NFL DC. The fact that he's hung around since 2013 when we've fielded some of the worst defenses in franchise history is hilarious. Dude is a certified bum. Get him the [BLEEP] out of Jacksonville.

Agree on all counts here TK.

He is the problem - regardless of talent or not.