Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew is the man.

(09-25-2020, 08:18 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: This game wasn't on minshew. It was on Todd Wash and the coaching staff. Need a huge bounce back next Sunday.

Yes, let's blame Todd Wash.   Have you seen the crappy defensive roster he was given?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-25-2020, 10:05 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 08:18 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: This game wasn't on minshew. It was on Todd Wash and the coaching staff. Need a huge bounce back next Sunday.

Yes, let's blame Todd Wash.   Have you seen the crappy defensive roster he was given?

What was his excuse in 2018 and 2019?

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 10:35 AM by Upper.)

Minshew isn't really the problem, he just isn't the answer either. He simply has too many physical limitations. Chark's deep ball last week needed to be a TD he had his man beat by several steps, Minshew just didn't have the arm to get it there in stride and by time the ball floated down to Chark the corner and safety both had time to catch up. There was the play yesterday where he got flushed out of the pocket and the receiver broke free on the scramble drill for what would have been a first down and Minshew just didn't have the arm to get it there without his base under him.

I think he has 75% of what you need to be a franchise QB, but that 25% is what would keep us in QB purgatory instead of making us a real contender if we stuck with him.

(09-25-2020, 10:05 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

It’s a combination of both. Bad coaching and young/bad talent.

Wash sucks but he’s also not given much to work with. Jack and Allen are basically the only people you can rely on week to week. 

As far as Minshew goes, I don’t dislike him in the slightest but man he left a lot of plays on the field. Miami was giving up big plays every drive to Buffalo and yet Minshew missed some guys running wide open down field. It happens.

But like someone else said, if they’re picking top 5 again, it’ll be a QB and then the rest of the picks and FA will be defense.

(09-25-2020, 10:34 AM)Upper Wrote: Minshew isn't really the problem, he just isn't the answer either. He simply has too many physical limitations. Chark's deep ball last week needed to be a TD he had his man beat by several steps, Minshew just didn't have the arm to get it there in stride and by time the ball floated down to Chark the corner and safety both had time to catch up. There was the play yesterday where he got flushed out of the pocket and the receiver broke free on the scramble drill for what would have been a first down and Minshew just didn't have the arm to get it there without his base under him.

I think he has 75% of what you need to be a franchise QB, but that 25% is what would keep us in QB purgatory instead of making us a real contender if we stuck with him.

100% agree.  I love his leadership abilities and moxy, and he is a guy you want to cheer for and get behind.  He's a great story.  I just don't see him as a long-term solution or elite QB.  I would say talent-wise, he might be a David Garrard... a lower mid-level QB in the League.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Losing Chark hurt. Minshew loves the deep ball. It's what he's best at.

(09-25-2020, 10:51 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Losing Chark hurt. Minshew loves the deep ball. It's what he's best at.

If that is accurate, we have the wrong offense for that skill-set.  West Coast offenses are all about the short, quick passing game with an occasional shot.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Thinking about it, I couldn't quote understand why this loss was so demoralizing...and then it hit me. Seeing what we saw last night makes me finally concerned that Minshew isn't the answer.

I'm tired of not having a franchise QB. I'm tired of losing seasons after seasons then on to the next rebuild.

Minshew, please prove us wrong in Cincy

Minshew is the least of my worries on this team

(09-25-2020, 11:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Minshew is the least of my worries on this team

Indeed. Conley with a couple key drops. Protection wasn't great last night either.

This defense man... good lord it's like the early 2010s all over again. We're on pace for 16 sacks on the season. Which would have to be some sort of terrible record.

(09-25-2020, 11:41 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 11:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Minshew is the least of my worries on this team

Indeed. Conley with a couple key drops. Protection wasn't great last night either.

This defense man... good lord it's like the early 2010s all over again. We're on pace for 16 sacks on the season. Which would have to be some sort of terrible record.

It actually wouldn't "beat" the 2009 record, when we only had 14 sacks the whole year and John Henderson was our leading rusher with 3 sacks

(09-25-2020, 10:34 AM)Upper Wrote: Minshew isn't really the problem, he just isn't the answer either. He simply has too many physical limitations. Chark's deep ball last week needed to be a TD he had his man beat by several steps, Minshew just didn't have the arm to get it there in stride and by time the ball floated down to Chark the corner and safety both had time to catch up. There was the play yesterday where he got flushed out of the pocket and the receiver broke free on the scramble drill for what would have been a first down and Minshew just didn't have the arm to get it there without his base under him.

The play you’re talking about, I believe he was throwing that one away. Brady is well known for this. He throws the ball at the receiver’s feet.

That being said, Minshew was starting his 16th nfl game without his starting center, starting WR, and kicker(which changes the game plan)... oh and his starting left tackle was ejected from the game as he tried to rally. I would venture to say that 99% of NFL QBs wouldn’t be able to overcome all of that 99% of the time. Want to throw in the immediate 14 point hole? The defense that made Fitz look like an all pro?

The kid is talented, he made some amazing throws last night. He was very accurate. I love how people harp on the Conley overthrow in the end zone as a defender was about to rock Minshew’s world because he had to hold the ball and look off the defender to get Conley open. That is a throw I’ve seen all of the greats miss. 

A QBs biggest enemy is pressure. The O line was being beaten by 4 rushers. They didn’t even have to blitz often times. 

The O line would be where I would invest heavily in the draft next season.

(09-25-2020, 10:51 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Losing Chark hurt. Minshew loves the deep ball. It's what he's best at.

What?

His deep ball accuracy and arm strength is pretty mediocre.

I'm not comfortable with a QB who is so dependent on one WR that he is unable to utilize the others when #1 is down.

(09-25-2020, 12:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm not comfortable with a QB who is so dependent on one WR that he is unable to utilize the others when #1 is down.

He's been spreading the ball around a lot though. He isn't so dependent on one WR. But to act like defenses don't pull coverages to Chark to open things up for other guys is naive. Also, Conley dropping a couple easy balls were drive killers.

Minshew wasn't perfect last night but he wasn't terrible either considering their pass rush got at him on like 15 drop backs (4 sacks and a ton of pressures) Linder being out hurt and Cam being (wrongfully) ejected made it worse.

It's one game. A bad one, but only one bad game from the offense, on a Thursday night short week...
I'm going to hold off on calling Minshew bad or looking toward the draft already.

We will know a lot after the Bengals game.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 12:36 PM by homebiscuit.)

(09-25-2020, 12:30 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm not comfortable with a QB who is so dependent on one WR that he is unable to utilize the others when #1 is down.

He's been spreading the ball around a lot though. He isn't so dependent on one WR. But to act like defenses don't pull coverages to Chark to open things up for other guys is naive. Also, Conley dropping a couple easy balls were drive killers.

Minshew wasn't perfect last night but he wasn't terrible either considering their pass rush got at him on like 15 drop backs (4 sacks and a ton of pressures) Linder being out hurt and Cam being (wrongfully) ejected made it worse.

It's one game. A bad one, but only one bad game from the offense, on a Thursday night short week...
I'm going to hold off on calling Minshew bad or looking toward the draft already.

You talked me from the edge.

(09-25-2020, 12:33 PM)Newton Wrote: We will know a lot after the Bengals game.

Burrow is going to embarrass (again) our secondary.

Last night was a rougher game for Gardner. Though it wasn't his worst performance(London last year was worse). Or even the worst performance by a QB this season. (And it probably won't be the worst QB performance this week either.)

Gardner had problems last night but I believe he.will bounce back. One big problem I think he had last night is that he seemed fidgety. I do think that a lot to do with missing key players from his offense. And once again feeling the pressure of being down multiple scores early on, due to the defense. Bucky Brooks said he felt like Gardner was trying to do too much. I can see why Gardner might try and do that considering how once again his team was down big.

Hopefully, he will look at his mistakes and get with Jay and go back to playing smart football. If he does that and Jay makes good adjustments he'll be fine. He needs to try and settle down in games even when the defense is playing poorly. He did that last week after being a bit fidgety against the Titans. He aeemed a little rattled in the 1st half, but settled down and made good plays in the 2nd half. He was more patient and almost led the Jags to the win. He needs to play more like that.

(09-25-2020, 12:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:30 PM)Kane Wrote: He's been spreading the ball around a lot though. He isn't so dependent on one WR. But to act like defenses don't pull coverages to Chark to open things up for other guys is naive. Also, Conley dropping a couple easy balls were drive killers.

You talked me from the edge.
I think the majority of us came into the season cautiously optimistic.
Amidst the Mania, we feel Minshew CAN be "the man". He still has to prove it. To earn it. 
He has 13 more games to do so, imo.

If he struggles to overcome losing some guys on offense or starts turning the ball over when under duress then it's certainly reasonable to start discussing other options at the position.

But we all know he has limitations as a QB. It's why some will never see him as a "franchise" QB. Here's hoping he has a big bounce back week in Cincy. And I'm not just saying that because I have him in fantasy lol

(09-25-2020, 12:06 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:

What?

His deep ball accuracy and arm strength is pretty mediocre.

Last year his deep ball was good and I believe I saw a stat saying that in last week's game like half of his passes were 10+yards. His deep ball is fine and while he may not have the strongest arm he is usually accurate and has good touch on his throws. 
(09-25-2020, 12:30 PM)Kane Wrote:

Yeah, they were doing a good job of spreading the ball around especially in the first two games
 To the point to where I saw people with fantasy teams say Gardner wasn't targeting DJ enough.

While I have liked what Jay has done overall, I do hold him a bit accountable for.not doing more with the offensive.weapons last night. I definitely think the ball was given too much to Conley. And players like Laviska Shenault should have been utilitzed more. Laviska has created opportunties/distractions for the offense this years when teams were drawn to him. 

And it opened up plays for Gardner/other offensive players. He should have been used more especially with DJ being out.

And James Robinson could have been used more too, especially since he was the only person that was really effective last night.

All of that being said DJ is very valuable to this team. He really is a good deep threat for them. I hope he gets healthy and comes back sooner than later. I did see a Twitter post saying they were being cautious with him on a short week, but that he would probably be back for the Bengals. I hope so.