Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew is the man.

(09-14-2020, 05:19 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Caldwell has an eye for talent, he excels in the draft, must be from his scouting days. But the actual GM part? He’s been learning on the job since the day he got here

Yeah, this. Caldwell is unbelievably good at drafting and scouting talent. He's lacking in some areas as a GM for sure, but eyeing talent ain't it.

I think we need to never lose Caldwell. Even if he is ever relieved of his GM duties, if Shad was smart he'd offer him some made up high paying executitive scout type of role or even as some sort of draft consultant.

It does suck that so many of his good picks are no longer on the team, but I'm not sure how much of that is his fault. I mean I really have no idea so I won't even elaborate on why.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

LOL.  This week Caldwell is "the man".  The Jaguars defense next week might pitch a shutout and be plus-4 again in turnovers and suddenly Todd Wash will be "the man".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-14-2020, 04:04 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
Quote:We're Jaguars fans. That kind of thing has been conditioned into us.

No excuse not to see the reality of the situation. Jags have a young team, dotted with talent and a QB thats breaking records left and right and were only one game into his second season. This kid is special. All too many people eager to bash the team, bash the front office, say we're tanking. Honestly im convinced Dave Caldwell is a stud at this point, coaching has been questionable, but we have a competent Offensive Coordinator now. Wish they would fire Wash, but hey at least we got a Franchise QB, finally. Arrow is pointing up for Jaguars. Embrace it. We have an offense that can actually get a first down, and a QB that's marketable and has a personality for the ages. Pretty soon the refs won't even be trying to rig games against us. Sky's the limit.

Would a stud GM let so many talented players leave the team and bash us like we were the Bagdad of the NFL? He may have an eye for talent, but that means nothing if you can't keep those players. Blame it on Coughlin all you want, but I'm convinced, it was 100% all on him. There were other factors at work as well.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 07:08 PM by Minshew Mania.)

(09-14-2020, 06:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 04:04 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: No excuse not to see the reality of the situation. Jags have a young team, dotted with talent and a QB thats breaking records left and right and were only one game into his second season. This kid is special. All too many people eager to bash the team, bash the front office, say we're tanking. Honestly im convinced Dave Caldwell is a stud at this point, coaching has been questionable, but we have a competent Offensive Coordinator now. Wish they would fire Wash, but hey at least we got a Franchise QB, finally. Arrow is pointing up for Jaguars. Embrace it. We have an offense that can actually get a first down, and a QB that's marketable and has a personality for the ages. Pretty soon the refs won't even be trying to rig games against us. Sky's the limit.

Would a stud GM let so many talented players leave the team and bash us like we were the Bagdad of the NFL? He may have an eye for talent, but that means nothing if you can't keep those players. Blame it on Coughlin all you want, but I'm convinced, it was 100% all on him. There were other factors at work as well.

I wouldn't presume to know why those players wanted out of Jacksonville so badly. I could wager a guess, but I wouldn't presume to know like you do. You seem eager to blame it on Caldwell, that's fine, you do what you want. Reality of the situation is that Caldwell is the least likely front office member to be any way responsible for Diva All-Stars to spiral out of control. The guy hardly even sees the players.

Obviously Caldwell stole your lunch money, I'm sorry man I'll bring an extra sandwich to school tomorrow. Thankfully the people who's opinions matter have decided to keep him on board for now. Hopefully he'll outlive Marrone's Tenure as well.

(09-14-2020, 06:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: LOL.  This week Caldwell is "the man".  The Jaguars defense next week might pitch a shutout and be plus-4 again in turnovers and suddenly Todd Wash will be "the man".

I've never once bashed Caldwell... I've always defended him on this board for his talent scouting skills. Hell, he drafted the true OROY and DROY last season. If the team wasn't essentially forced to see what they had in foles when he came back from injury Minshew wins OROY instead of Murray easily (he won ROTW 7 times in his 12 starts) and Allen had more sacks than Bosa playing half the snaps... 

The Allen snub was straight up robbery, but maybe was due to Allen having a rotational role vs full time. That's the only reason I can think of aside from just big market team bias.

I see a lot of people taking victory laps after week 1.....

(09-14-2020, 06:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: LOL.  This week Caldwell is "the man".  The Jaguars defense next week might pitch a shutout and be plus-4 again in turnovers and suddenly Todd Wash will be "the man".

I know we're Jags fans, but give it up. Caldwell = Good. Wash = Bad.

Wash has always been bad. He runs a defense that half the league runs and half the league is bad. The only reason that its ever been serviceable is that Caldwell is good at stacking it with good players.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 07:39 PM by Corriewf.)

(09-14-2020, 07:06 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 06:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Would a stud GM let so many talented players leave the team and bash us like we were the Bagdad of the NFL? He may have an eye for talent, but that means nothing if you can't keep those players. Blame it on Coughlin all you want, but I'm convinced, it was 100% all on him. There were other factors at work as well.

I wouldn't presume to know why those players wanted out of Jacksonville so badly. I could wager a guess, but I wouldn't presume to know like you do. You seem eager to blame it on Caldwell, that's fine, you do what you want. Reality of the situation is that Caldwell is the least likely front office member to be any way responsible for Diva All-Stars to spiral out of control. The guy hardly even sees the players.

Obviously Caldwell stole your lunch money, I'm sorry man I'll bring an extra sandwich to school tomorrow. Thankfully the people who's opinions matter have decided to keep him on board for now. Hopefully he'll outlive Marrone's Tenure as well.

Pretty easy to understand why. If you’re a self serving individual looking for fame and glory- it’s pretty tough to hitch your ride to the NFL’s red headed step child. This team is barely a blip on the national stage. If you have no prior connection with this city, what would make you want to play here? It’s not money- you can get that and more somewhere else... 

Look at how hard it is for a Jag to make it to the HOF. Just saying...

(09-14-2020, 07:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I see a lot of people taking victory laps after week 1.....

No one truly knows what the future games will look like- but the Jags looked like a well organized machine on the field yesterday. It was a big surprise for everyone, even us optimist. Lol. It may all fall apart in a bi-polar tirade next week...but this week we are one FIRE!

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 07:56 PM by Minshew Mania.)

(09-14-2020, 07:36 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 07:06 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: I wouldn't presume to know why those players wanted out of Jacksonville so badly. I could wager a guess, but I wouldn't presume to know like you do. You seem eager to blame it on Caldwell, that's fine, you do what you want. Reality of the situation is that Caldwell is the least likely front office member to be any way responsible for Diva All-Stars to spiral out of control. The guy hardly even sees the players.

Pretty easy to understand why. If you’re a self serving individual looking for fame and glory- it’s pretty tough to hitch your ride to the NFL’s red headed step child. This team is barely a blip on the national stage. If you have no prior connection with this city, what would make you want to play here? It’s not money- you can get that and more somewhere else... 

Look at how hard it is for a Jag to make it to the HOF. Just saying...

Yeah, that's a good point and I wouldn't be surprised at all if that had something to do with it. Especially as I watch all these cringey commercials with these goof ball NFL players. 

Thankfully Shad Khan has made moves and we've got ourselves a growing fan base in London. I honestly think our team popularity will skyrocket if we managed to be a perennial playoff team. And if this Minshew thing pans out, which I'm a firm believer in, he's marketable, charismatic and has enough unique quirks to make him stand out. So the NFL will start giving us some respect when we're making them $$$. I definitely don't buy into us being limited by our small market. Just look at Green Bay. Success on the field will lead to bandwagon fans, which will also bring in new loyal fans.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 09:44 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-14-2020, 07:06 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 06:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Would a stud GM let so many talented players leave the team and bash us like we were the Bagdad of the NFL? He may have an eye for talent, but that means nothing if you can't keep those players. Blame it on Coughlin all you want, but I'm convinced, it was 100% all on him. There were other factors at work as well.

Based on what?

(09-14-2020, 07:17 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:

I've never once bashed Caldwell... I've always defended him on this board for his talent scouting skills. Hell, he drafted the true OROY and DROY last season. If the team wasn't essentially forced to see what they had in foles when he came back from injury Minshew wins OROY instead of Murray easily (he won ROTW 7 times in his 12 starts) and Allen had more sacks than Bosa playing half the snaps... 

The Allen snub was straight up robbery, but maybe was due to Allen having a rotational role vs full time. That's the only reason I can think of aside from just big market team bias.

If he hadn't of drafted Allen, he would've been run out of town. NOBODY thought Allen was gonna fall to us. He was the #1 player on my draft board and a top #3 player on almost every analysts board in the country. I would hardly give him credit for taking Allen. Allen was gifted to us and he just did the obvious.

(09-14-2020, 09:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 07:06 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: I wouldn't presume to know why those players wanted out of Jacksonville so badly. I could wager a guess, but I wouldn't presume to know like you do. You seem eager to blame it on Caldwell, that's fine, you do what you want. Reality of the situation is that Caldwell is the least likely front office member to be any way responsible for Diva All-Stars to spiral out of control. The guy hardly even sees the players.

Based on what?

Common sense, something you may or may not have. 

I'll give you a homework assignment. You see how many pictures, photographic evidence of Dave Caldwell near or around players. And compare it to, let's just say Tom Coughlin.

Never understood the "tank" for Trevor mindset. In my opinion, Minshew is far superior. Minshew has a chip on shoulder. He's had to fight for everything in his career. Trevor hasn't. Trevor is used to nothing but winning. Minshew has the intangibles that you want in a leader and a QB. Things you cant teach. Trevor may have the size and arm, but we've seen time and time again that those are ironically some of the least important traits in an NFL QB. I'm all on board with Minshew. The kid is special. It won't be perfect. There will be bumps in the road. But a gladiator overcomes and conquers. And that's Gardner for you. A warrior. Go Minshew, and go Jags.

(09-14-2020, 07:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I see a lot of people taking victory laps after week 1.....

Yesterday was a victory so hell yeah we're taking victory laps. I'm going to ride that train all week.

(09-14-2020, 10:48 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 09:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Based on what?

Common sense, something you may or may not have. 

I'll give you a homework assignment. You see how many pictures, photographic evidence of Dave Caldwell near or around players. And compare it to, let's just say Tom Coughlin.

You need to figure out what common sense means. What you are using as evidence, is complete speculation. Are you in the building everyday to see how much interaction Caldwell has with the players? Neither of us know for sure if he never sees them or if he has long discussions with the guys about their families, their hopes and their dreams. For you to simply speculate that he never sees them is just conjecture. 

All I know is that it's part of a GM's job to make players feel wanted by the organization and convince them that Jacksonville is the team they need to be playing for. He has failed on this level. 

Also, once Coughlin was fired, the dissent continued. If the "tumor" was completely removed, why did we still have players who were critical of the organization? If it was all Coughlin's fault, wouldn't the problem be solved, once he was fired? There's more to the story than the blame being 100% on Coughlin. He was definitely a HUGE problem, but it can't be completely his fault.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020, 12:32 AM by Minshew Mania.)

(09-15-2020, 12:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 10:48 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: Common sense, something you may or may not have. 

You need to figure out what common sense means. What you are using as evidence, is complete speculation. Are you in the building everyday to see how much interaction Caldwell has with the players? Neither of us know for sure if he never sees them or if he has long discussions with the guys about their families, their hopes and their dreams. For you to simply speculate that he never sees them is just conjecture. 

All I know is that it's part of a GM's job to make players feel wanted by the organization and convince them that Jacksonville is the team they need to be playing for. He has failed on this level. 

Also, once Coughlin was fired, the dissent continued. If the "tumor" was completely removed, why did we still have players who were critical of the organization? If it was all Coughlin's fault, wouldn't the problem be solved, once he was fired? There's more to the story than the blame being 100% on Coughlin. He was definitely a HUGE problem, but it can't be completely his fault.

Well we can start at neither of us know. Skip to Coughlin was a "HUGE" problem and end it at there's more to the story. 

The players didn't want to be in Jacksonville, there's probably lots of reasons for that, not limited to Coughlin being a big meanie to them. But we do know that contract money didn't seem to be the issue. So that limits Caldwell's role in this.

For all we know, these guys got it in their heads that they were bigger than the team. And the coaching staff, from the looks of it, are not trying to foster any individual's ego.

All that said, you suggesting it could be Caldwell means jack squat. Innocent until proven guilty and I haven't seen the slightest bit of evidence that Caldwell was disrespectful to any of the players. So it's common sense to assume he had nothing to do with it. It is not in any way logical to jump to a conclusion that is not supported by any facts.. I do know he's good at finding talent and frankly that's all I care about at this point, and so should you.

(09-15-2020, 12:02 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Yesterday was a victory so hell yeah we're taking victory laps. I'm going to ride that train all week.

To the victor go the spoils - err  - laps. 

Big Grin

Where's a Spongebob Jags are tanking for Trevor meme when you need ir. Minshew so far has proven he is legit. Why does everyone keep doubting him? If he was a first rounder, everyone would be saying how great he is and that we finally have our franchise QB. But since he was a 6th rounder, nah not good enough. Drives me nuts.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(09-15-2020, 01:04 AM)Dimson Wrote: Where's a Spongebob Jags are tanking for Trevor meme when you need ir. Minshew so far has proven he is legit. Why does everyone keep doubting him? If he was a first rounder, everyone would be saying how great he is and that we finally have our franchise QB. But since he was a 6th rounder, nah not good enough. Drives me nuts.

For me, personally, I've expressed plenty of cautious optimism in him.

We just don't have a large enough sample size to be certain IMO. 

I saw improvement Sunday, but I'd like to see him consistently do a few things he did Sunday before feeling more certain. I'm loving his progress thus far, it's just not very far in terms of a body of work.

(09-14-2020, 02:11 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Minshew got off to a great start in week one.

Still some unanswered questions to be answered as he was a bit sheltered by all of the dink and dunk playcalling to a degree.

Odd that we were told we'd see these types of plays from DeFillipo and they never really emerged and now they are looking quite effective under Gruden.
Gruden is to be commended for taking a rookie WR3 and UDFA rookie RB1 and a second year 6th rd QB - then getting that execution out of them yesterday.

I don't think of 8.65 YPA as dinking and dunking.

That's just efficient as heck.

I'd say there's more unanswered questions about most of the 1st round picks from the last two or three years than there are about him personally. I'm just happy we have a 6th rounder that can put up 19/20 for 3 TDs and 0 picks. 0 fumbles in 4 sacks is also impressive.

Any YPA is going to look good when you complete 95% of your passes. Our yards per completion are the second lowest in the league. Dink and dunk was a fair representation.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020, 06:06 AM by The Real Marty.)

(09-15-2020, 01:25 AM)Upper Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 02:11 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I don't think of 8.65 YPA as dinking and dunking.

That's just efficient as heck.

I'd say there's more unanswered questions about most of the 1st round picks from the last two or three years than there are about him personally. I'm just happy we have a 6th rounder that can put up 19/20 for 3 TDs and 0 picks. 0 fumbles in 4 sacks is also impressive.

Any YPA is going to look good when you complete 95% of your passes. Our yards per completion are the second lowest in the league. Dink and dunk was a fair representation.

Yards per attempt is a much better yardstick of success than yards per completion.  We used 20 plays to get 173 yards.  AND, very importantly, we got TDs.  

Also, don't forget, we had a long pass to Chark that got a pass interference penalty. 

We punted 3 times.  As I recall, one punt came on a series where we had a holding penalty that set us back, another punt came on a series were we gave up a sack.  Those kinds of things will stop any offense. 

We were effective.  That's what counts.