Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
One thing is clear - We aren't getting the #1 pick

After what I've been seeing from this team, I'd use our first 4 picks in 2021 on CB, Safety, DE and another Safety. (In no particular order.)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-21-2020, 05:15 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: After what I've been seeing from this team, I'd use our first 4 picks in 2021 on CB, Safety, DE and another Safety. (In no particular order.)

We're going to have a huge amount of cap space.  Of course, we will have a couple of players who will be eligible for extensions.  But even then, we should still have tons of cap space.  

If we spend some on decent players to fill some holes, then we can afford to take best available players in the draft.

(09-21-2020, 05:15 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: After what I've been seeing from this team, I'd use our first 4 picks in 2021 on CB, Safety, DE and another Safety. (In no particular order.)

Still a long season but I'd also like an impact TE for the offense.

Depending on how the OL plays LT/C/RG could also becomes needs...maybe not RG (Bartch development).

But after just 2 weeks...S/DL/CB are the glaring holes.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 08:57 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-21-2020, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

We're going to have a huge amount of cap space.  Of course, we will have a couple of players who will be eligible for extensions.  But even then, we should still have tons of cap space.  

If we spend some on decent players to fill some holes, then we can afford to take best available players in the draft.

Given how Jacksonville was vilified in the off season, I'm not expecting any big name free agents to come here via free agency and I certainly don't wanna overspend on mediocre players just because we have the cap money available. I really think at least for a while, we're gonna have to concentrate solely on the draft to fill major needs. At least until our reputation is restored.

(09-21-2020, 08:11 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:

Still a long season but I'd also like an impact TE for the offense.

Depending on how the OL plays LT/C/RG could also becomes needs...maybe not RG (Bartch development).

But after just 2 weeks...S/DL/CB are the glaring holes.

If they stay healthy. I like the combo of Eifert and O'Shaughnessy.

I hope we can get Hamsah Nasirildeen or the safety from Oregon.
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES 
ATLANTS BRAVES 

(09-21-2020, 08:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: We're going to have a huge amount of cap space.  Of course, we will have a couple of players who will be eligible for extensions.  But even then, we should still have tons of cap space.  

Given how Jacksonville was vilified in the off season, I'm not expecting any big name free agents to come here via free agency and I certainly don't wanna overspend on mediocre players just because we have the cap money available. I really think at least for a while, we're gonna have to concentrate solely on the draft to fill major needs. At least until our reputation is restored.

I think that's way overblown.  I don't think any players are going to take less money to play somewhere else just because Jalen Ramsey or Yannick Ngakoue didn't want to be here.   They'll make whatever decision is best for them.  Joe Schobert didn't seem to mind coming here.  If they see a young up-and-coming team and money on the table, free agents will sign with us.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 09:59 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-21-2020, 09:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 08:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Given how Jacksonville was vilified in the off season, I'm not expecting any big name free agents to come here via free agency and I certainly don't wanna overspend on mediocre players just because we have the cap money available. I really think at least for a while, we're gonna have to concentrate solely on the draft to fill major needs. At least until our reputation is restored.

I think that's way overblown.  I don't think any players are going to take less money to play somewhere else just because Jalen Ramsey or Yannick Ngakoue didn't want to be here.   They'll make whatever decision is best for them.  Joe Schobert didn't seem to mind coming here.  If they see a young up-and-coming team and money on the table, free agents will sign with us.

Joe Schobert isn't exactly a household name either. I consider him slightly above average, which was still way better than our other options.

(09-21-2020, 09:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 08:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Given how Jacksonville was vilified in the off season, I'm not expecting any big name free agents to come here via free agency and I certainly don't wanna overspend on mediocre players just because we have the cap money available. I really think at least for a while, we're gonna have to concentrate solely on the draft to fill major needs. At least until our reputation is restored.

I totally agree with you on this. If the Jaguars continue to compete like they have the first 2 games, they should win 6 or 7 games and be a team on the rise. They have gotten rid of the bad apples in the locker-room as well as Tom Coughlin. Most free agents will take the highest offer and the Jags can afford to "overpay" at least one free agent who could be a difference maker. With 2 first round picks and two seconds in 2021, most free agents are likely to view the Jaguars as a team capable of immediately contending for the playoffs with the arrow pointing straight up. 

Regarding the positions which will need to be addressed in the off-season, it seems way too early for that. As the season progresses, we will learn much about guys like Chaisson, Josh Jones, Henderson and Davon Hamilton, among others. The safety position seems to definitely need at least one upgrade, but a quality safety can be found after the first round. If Henderson continues to play well and look like a true number 1 cornerback, the Jags may be able to also wait on taking a cornerback. It wouldn't surprise many people if Luq Barcoo eventually moves his way up to be the starter due to his ball skills. 

Once this season plays out (hopefully all 16 games), I would expect them to be in a position to use their two first round picks on the BAP's who don't play quarterback, running back or wide receiver. Personally, I'd love to see them use one of those picks on a tight end. Just seeing how they used Eiffert yesterday shows the importance of having a tight end who can be a weapon. He just can't be depended on going forward nor can Oliver for the obvious reasons. My favorite guy is Freirmuth from Penn State or the guy from Florida, Having one of those along with Chark and Shennault would give Minshew three weapons which the defenses would have to account for. The remainder of the draft should primarily focus on strengthening both lines and likely adding a safety. Prior to the draft, at least one of these positions can be addressed via free agency.

While improved this team's offense has a long, long way to go to be compared to the Brunell, Taylor, Brady, Smith, McCardell teams of the late 90's.

But, it sure is fun to watch. Two very entertaining games. And, it may be the 90s the last time I saw wide open WRs.

Personally, I think think Jake Luton has starting QB ability. He's 6'6", 224lbs. A cannon for an arm.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 12:26 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-21-2020, 12:03 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 09:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think that's way overblown.  I don't think any players are going to take less money to play somewhere else just because Jalen Ramsey or Yannick Ngakoue didn't want to be here.   They'll make whatever decision is best for them.  Joe Schobert didn't seem to mind coming here.  If they see a young up-and-coming team and money on the table, free agents will sign with us.

I totally agree with you on this. If the Jaguars continue to compete like they have the first 2 games, they should win 6 or 7 games and be a team on the rise. They have gotten rid of the bad apples in the locker-room as well as Tom Coughlin. Most free agents will take the highest offer and the Jags can afford to "overpay" at least one free agent who could be a difference maker. With 2 first round picks and two seconds in 2021, most free agents are likely to view the Jaguars as a team capable of immediately contending for the playoffs with the arrow pointing straight up. 

Regarding the positions which will need to be addressed in the off-season, it seems way too early for that. As the season progresses, we will learn much about guys like Chaisson, Josh Jones, Henderson and Davon Hamilton, among others. The safety position seems to definitely need at least one upgrade, but a quality safety can be found after the first round. If Henderson continues to play well and look like a true number 1 cornerback, the Jags may be able to also wait on taking a cornerback. It wouldn't surprise many people if Luq Barcoo eventually moves his way up to be the starter due to his ball skills. 

Once this season plays out (hopefully all 16 games), I would expect them to be in a position to use their two first round picks on the BAP's who don't play quarterback, running back or wide receiver. Personally, I'd love to see them use one of those picks on a tight end. Just seeing how they used Eiffert yesterday shows the importance of having a tight end who can be a weapon. He just can't be depended on going forward nor can Oliver for the obvious reasons. My favorite guy is Freirmuth from Penn State or the guy from Florida, Having one of those along with Chark and Shennault would give Minshew three weapons which the defenses would have to account for. The remainder of the draft should primarily focus on strengthening both lines and likely adding a safety. Prior to the draft, at least one of these positions can be addressed via free agency.

I thought O'Shaughnessy has been playing good as well. Having him and Eifert on the roster together gives us a lot of options and makes TE much less of a need. I like Friermuth a lot, but the pass rush and pass defense have been so abysmal that we can't pass up on elite players at positions of need to take guys at positions where we might already be set. Eifert is signed through 2021 and O'Shaughnessy is a FA at the end of this season. If both continue to produce, I'd try and extend O'Shaughnessy before the end of this season and Eifert in the offseason. We wouldn't have to burn a high draft pick and both of them would come a lot cheaper than trying to draw in a big name free agent. You don't necessarily have to have a flashy TE to have an effective offense. O'Shaughnessy and Eifert just do what is necessary to get the job done. It's been a long time since we've had a stable TE position on this team. I know it's only 2 games, but it feels good.

(09-20-2020, 04:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/hayscarlyon/status/1...22026?s=21

Seriously, spot on.  Gruden has a much more granular, nuanced approach to his play design, and it shows up.  It's fun to watch the offense again, and we're not expecting it to implode as the game progresses.  Jaguar football is fun again.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(09-21-2020, 12:40 PM)FBT Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 04:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/hayscarlyon/status/1...22026?s=21

Seriously, spot on.  Gruden has a much more granular, nuanced approach to his play design, and it shows up.  It's fun to watch the offense again, and we're not expecting it to implode as the game progresses.  Jaguar football is fun again.

His offense makes it much more easy for a young QB to gain confidence and continuously move the ball downfield. The key is getting the ball out quickly and making quick reads.

(09-21-2020, 12:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:40 PM)FBT Wrote: Seriously, spot on.  Gruden has a much more granular, nuanced approach to his play design, and it shows up.  It's fun to watch the offense again, and we're not expecting it to implode as the game progresses.  Jaguar football is fun again.

His offense makes it much more easy for a young QB to gain confidence and continuously move the ball downfield. The key is getting the ball out quickly and making quick reads.

That, and he finds ways to get Minshew's targets in space so that he's not constantly throwing to someone who is covered like a blanket.  It's a work in progress, but receivers are actually getting open this year, and if you watch some of Lageman's film analysis, you can see where it comes from.  Gruden is really detail oriented in his play calling.  These young guys picked things up pretty quickly despite no real rigorous training camp and no preseason.  It's pretty impressive.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(09-21-2020, 12:40 PM)FBT Wrote:

Hopefully, somehow some way, we suck just enough that Gruden gets promoted and Marrone/Wash get the boot. There cannot be any other way
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(09-21-2020, 03:31 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:40 PM)FBT Wrote: Seriously, spot on.  Gruden has a much more granular, nuanced approach to his play design, and it shows up.  It's fun to watch the offense again, and we're not expecting it to implode as the game progresses.  Jaguar football is fun again.

Hopefully, somehow some way, we suck just enough that Gruden gets promoted and Marrone/Wash get the boot. There cannot be any other way

I still think even with a ridiculously good offense he wouldn't get back to a HC gig for at least one more year

https://twitter.com/thomas_mock/status/1...38273?s=19

Seems if they had some better pass rush the team would be in decent shape.

And then there was the Miami game...

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2020, 09:30 PM by Upper.)

Updated graph

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1...8737204225

(09-29-2020, 09:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: And then there was the Miami game...

Meh, we're a young team that's gonna be up and down all year. We'll probably be back to .500 after next week.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-29-2020, 09:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-29-2020, 09:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: And then there was the Miami game...

Meh, we're a young team that's gonna be up and down all year. We'll probably be back to .500 after next week.

My momma said there'll be days like this...