Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody Still Doubting Caldwell?

(09-28-2020, 12:23 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: Rumor has it that Jernigan is being released.
Jernigan release

What the hell happened?
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020, 01:40 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-28-2020, 11:32 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 11:21 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I reread it now... I assumed because we were discussing the specifics of that play, that your comments were pertaining to that.  I see this year's defense as much worse than last year.  We are giving up 4 more points per game already on average, but last year's defense was not very talented either.  Stats notwithstanding, this defense appears worse to the eye test (particularly pass rush) than last years... would you agree?  And "most of the year before", meaning 2018, we were the #5 ranked defense in the League, so I strongly disagree with your statement comparing our D now to then.

But last years defense had Campbell and Dareus (pre injury) and Bouye and Yannick (and Ramsey for a couple games)
All the guys we had lost and were going to be the reason why our defense was so bad this year

Many of the guys that were key to our successful '17 and '18 defenses. So the roster talent was relatively the same from '18 to '19.
And many stars of the '17 defense were very critical of the DC and his scheme and play calling, so there's that.

I don't think it's all on Wash. Caldwell certainly gutted the defense and skewed young and cheap in the secondary and the DL. We all knew they wouldn't be great this year. Run D is greatly improved already this year while our pass rush is almost no existent, which makes coverage look worse than it is (not that it's been great, the FS has been a liability, Henderson had a bad game vs the Phins, and Hayden has been having his worst year). I think lacking Campbell and Yannick are showing a great deal right now. Allen is still young but ain't getting it done and Chaisson hasn't been used much and is a rookie.
These things can be addressed with time and the draft, and maybe a dip back into free agency.

But the coach and scheme has been relatively the same for awhile... D coordinator since 2016. And in 4+ seasons we've seen more bad than good no matter the talent of the roster.

In 2019 it was not the same team or talent level.  Malik was gone.  Ramsey only played 3 games and was a malcontent and team cancer until traded.  Dareus might be at the end of his career... played 5 or 6 games in 2019 and his career could be over.  If not, his value certainly will not be as high as it was. Calias was in Year 12 of his NFL career and was a solid player but not who he once had been.  Bouye was a guy who benefited in 2017 because of our pass rush and has not had a season like that before or after that year... just an average player imo.  I will give you Yannick... having him on one side helped Allen on the other last year.  You can see his lack of presence is now hurting Allen.

The route we took to build that D-Line via free agency was not sustainable for long.  It costs a lot of money and veteran play tends to diminish as they get deeper into their careers.  You can say the names of players on the roster are the same, but the talent drops.  Dareus and Calais in 2019 were not the same players they were in 2017.  Calais did not drop as fast or far as Dareus, but he still dropped.  What's the saying?  "You can't step in the same river twice".  It applies to football rosters each year as well, especially ones relying on high-priced aging veterans.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(09-28-2020, 01:04 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 11:32 AM)Kane Wrote: But last years defense had Campbell and Dareus (pre injury) and Bouye and Yannick (and Ramsey for a couple games)
All the guys we had lost and were going to be the reason why our defense was so bad this year

Many of the guys that were key to our successful '17 and '18 defenses. So the roster talent was relatively the same from '18 to '19.
And many stars of the '17 defense were very critical of the DC and his scheme and play calling, so there's that.

I don't think it's all on Wash. Caldwell certainly gutted the defense and skewed young and cheap in the secondary and the DL. We all knew they wouldn't be great this year. Run D is greatly improved already this year while our pass rush is almost no existent, which makes coverage look worse than it is (not that it's been great, the FS has been a liability, Henderson had a bad game vs the Phins, and Hayden has been having his worst year). I think lacking Campbell and Yannick are showing a great deal right now. Allen is still young but ain't getting it done and Chaisson hasn't been used much and is a rookie.
These things can be addressed with time and the draft, and maybe a dip back into free agency.

But the coach and scheme has been relatively the same for awhile... D coordinator since 2016. And in 4+ seasons we've seen more bad than good no matter the talent of the roster.

In 2019 it was not the same team or talent level.  Malik was gone.  Ramsey only played 3 games and was a malcontent and team cancer until traded.  Dareus might be at the end of his career... played 5 or 6 games in 2019 and his career could be over.  If not, his value certainly will not be as high as it was.  Calias was in Year 12 of his NFL career and was a solid player but not who he once had been.  Bouye was a guy who benefited in 2017 because of our pass rush and has not had a season like that before or after that year... just an average player imo.  I will give you Yannick... having him on one side helped Allen on the other last year.  You can see his lack of presence is now hurting Allen.

The route we took to build that D-Line via free agency was not sustainable for long.  It costs a lot of money and veteran play tends to diminish as they get deeper into their careers.  You can say the names of players on the roster are the same, but the talent drops.  Dareus and Calais in 2019 were not the same  players they were in 2017.  Calais did not drop as fast or far as Dareus, but he still dropped.  What's the saying?  "You can't step in the same river twice".  It applies to football rosters each year as well, especially ones relying on high-priced aging veterans.

Uhh okay.... you can split hairs and cut Wash slack if you want to. Fact is, Wash as DC has had more bad games than good as DC (even in 2017 he got pencil whipped by certain teams like a Gabbert led Cardinals team and the 9ers).
In 2018 we lost a few of the '17 stars but the overall roster was mostly the same. Only big names that were gone from 17 were Poz and Jackson and we released Church a few games into the season iirc. In 2019 Dareus got hurt mid season but we were getting gashed in the run game before that injury. And yeah talent drops off but if Wash needs a 2017 all-star type team to be good, then he isn't good. Which I believe is kinda the point being made by many.
And you skimmed over the whole fact that after the 2017 run Ramsey, Gipson, Bouye, and others spoke out about Wash's scheme/playcalling. So if they hated the scheme how could it possibly work with younger or less talented players?

You hate Caldwell and think he's to blame for the defensive issues and you're right to an extent. The defense is being completely rebuilt after Caldwell under Coughlin bought in big $ FAs and jettisoned 2 of the top players on this defense. If Campbell and Bouye's play were declining, moving them was the right move. What's the saying? "Rome wasn't built in a day" It applies to football rosters too I guess.

The offense, generally speaking, looks solid. OL play looked improved in weeks 1 and 2. Under Gruden the play calling seems to fit Minshew and the weapons that Caldwell has surrounded him with. Maybe even found a gem in Robinson.
Caldwell certainly has the ability to build a roster if given time. But Wash doesn't seem to have the ability to adapt his play calling or scheme to work around weaknesses or to play against other team's weaknesses. 

Against a rookie QB, with a terrible OL, and a team not running the ball very well, will he be able to capitalize or will he continue to rush 4 (with 5 or 6 blocking on offense) and hope the back 7 can cover for 6+ seconds?
I have my doubts.

(09-28-2020, 04:03 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 01:04 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: In 2019 it was not the same team or talent level.  Malik was gone.  Ramsey only played 3 games and was a malcontent and team cancer until traded.  Dareus might be at the end of his career... played 5 or 6 games in 2019 and his career could be over.  If not, his value certainly will not be as high as it was.  Calias was in Year 12 of his NFL career and was a solid player but not who he once had been.  Bouye was a guy who benefited in 2017 because of our pass rush and has not had a season like that before or after that year... just an average player imo.  I will give you Yannick... having him on one side helped Allen on the other last year.  You can see his lack of presence is now hurting Allen.

The route we took to build that D-Line via free agency was not sustainable for long.  It costs a lot of money and veteran play tends to diminish as they get deeper into their careers.  You can say the names of players on the roster are the same, but the talent drops.  Dareus and Calais in 2019 were not the same  players they were in 2017.  Calais did not drop as fast or far as Dareus, but he still dropped.  What's the saying?  "You can't step in the same river twice".  It applies to football rosters each year as well, especially ones relying on high-priced aging veterans.

Uhh okay.... you can split hairs and cut Wash slack if you want to. Fact is, Wash as DC has had more bad games than good as DC (even in 2017 he got pencil whipped by certain teams like a Gabbert led Cardinals team and the 9ers).
In 2018 we lost a few of the '17 stars but the overall roster was mostly the same. Only big names that were gone from 17 were Poz and Jackson and we released Church a few games into the season iirc. In 2019 Dareus got hurt mid season but we were getting gashed in the run game before that injury. And yeah talent drops off but if Wash needs a 2017 all-star type team to be good, then he isn't good. Which I believe is kinda the point being made by many.
And you skimmed over the whole fact that after the 2017 run Ramsey, Gipson, Bouye, and others spoke out about Wash's scheme/playcalling. So if they hated the scheme how could it possibly work with younger or less talented players?

You hate Caldwell and think he's to blame for the defensive issues and you're right to an extent. The defense is being completely rebuilt after Caldwell under Coughlin bought in big $ FAs and jettisoned 2 of the top players on this defense. If Campbell and Bouye's play were declining, moving them was the right move. What's the saying? "Rome wasn't built in a day" It applies to football rosters too I guess.

The offense, generally speaking, looks solid. OL play looked improved in weeks 1 and 2. Under Gruden the play calling seems to fit Minshew and the weapons that Caldwell has surrounded him with. Maybe even found a gem in Robinson.
Caldwell certainly has the ability to build a roster if given time. But Wash doesn't seem to have the ability to adapt his play calling or scheme to work around weaknesses or to play against other team's weaknesses. 

Against a rookie QB, with a terrible OL, and a team not running the ball very well, will he be able to capitalize or will he continue to rush 4 (with 5 or 6 blocking on offense) and hope the back 7 can cover for 6+ seconds?
I have my doubts.

You know, you bring up a good point. The 49rs and Cardinals beat us badly that year, and those two teams see Seattle twice a year so it kind of makes sense that they would have the right game plan to whoop on Wash and his regurgitation of the Gus Bust.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020, 04:31 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-28-2020, 04:03 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 01:04 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: In 2019 it was not the same team or talent level.  Malik was gone.  Ramsey only played 3 games and was a malcontent and team cancer until traded.  Dareus might be at the end of his career... played 5 or 6 games in 2019 and his career could be over.  If not, his value certainly will not be as high as it was.  Calias was in Year 12 of his NFL career and was a solid player but not who he once had been.  Bouye was a guy who benefited in 2017 because of our pass rush and has not had a season like that before or after that year... just an average player imo.  I will give you Yannick... having him on one side helped Allen on the other last year.  You can see his lack of presence is now hurting Allen.

I have my doubts.

I think my points have misunderstood by many here... maybe that is my fault.  I thought I have made it clear that I am not a fan of Wash and would be happy if he is gone.  But the problem still remains...lack of talent.  Rome was not built in a day, but this is YEAR 8.  And we have only had one winning season.  It should have been reload, not rebuild at this point.  And that is not acceptable.  

Our D is atrocious and our offense is average at best.  I know we all like Chark, but would you put him in the upper half of the League in #1 receivers?  Go look at that list and tell me if you would.  Same thing with QB.  Same thing with RB.  Same thing with TE (I might actually put the TE in the upper half of the League... maybe).  O-line is average as well.  Every unit we have is average at best.  You put that all together and you have the #22 ranked offense.  Statistically speaking, we are actually ranked higher on D than offense after 3 games, if you can believe that.

You and I are in agreement about a rookie QB and bad o-line vs. Cincy.  I would hope we blitz them early and often to see if they can handle it.  We played 3 veteran QB's prior, so I can see why Wash sat back more in those situations.  If he doesn't come out more aggressive against Cincy, I will be with you guys here carrying my pitchfork!  lol
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(09-28-2020, 04:28 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 04:03 PM)Kane Wrote: Uhh okay.... you can split hairs and cut Wash slack if you want to. Fact is, Wash as DC has had more bad games than good as DC (even in 2017 he got pencil whipped by certain teams like a Gabbert led Cardinals team and the 9ers).

I have my doubts.

I think my points have misunderstood by many here... maybe that is my fault.  I thought I have made it clear that I am not a fan of Wash and would be happy if he is gone.  But the problem still remains...lack of talent.  Rome was not built in a day, but this is YEAR 8.  And we have only had one winning season.  It should have been reload, not rebuild at this point.  And that is not acceptable.  

Our D is atrocious and our offense is average at best.  I know we all like Chark, but would you put him in the upper half of the League in #1 receivers?  Go look at that list and tell me if you would.  Same thing with QB.  Same thing with RB.  Same thing with TE (I might actually put the TE in the upper half of the League... maybe).  O-line is average as well.  Every unit we have is average at best.  You put that all together and you have the #22 ranked offense.  Statistically speaking, we are actually ranked higher on D than offense after 3 games, if you can believe that.

You and I are in agreement about a rookie QB and bad o-line vs. Cincy.  I would hope we blitz them early and often to see if they can handle it.  We played 3 veteran QB's prior, so I can see why Wash sat back more in those situations.  If he doesn't come out more aggressive against Cincy, I will be with you guys here carrying my pitchfork!  lol

Year 8? This is year one of a new rebuild. Yes, under the same GM but Caldwell took a Gene Smith roster, gutted it, got it to where it was in 2016 (improving but not good) Coughlin came in they bought a bunch of free agents and kept building, and had an elite D and an average at best offense. And then in 2 seasons it was poof gone.

Like it or not Caldwell has been given a redo.
It's year 1 without Coughlin. Building an offense around Minshew and completely rebuilding the defense.
Now we can go back and forth about how much blame who deserves over why the elite defense is now being rebuilt after only 2 really good years but honestly no one is gonna budge on their positions of blame Caldwell or Coughlin. But for arguments sake, lets say they split the good and bad 50/50.
I have said many times before Caldwell should have been shown the door. His average at best resume hasn't been good enough. But ultimately he was given more time (probably til the end of his contract). He gets one more shot to do it and with a very short leash.

The offense looks like it could be a strength. The defense looks to be lacking talent just about everywhere, or is very young at least. Allen, Chaisson, Henderson, and Jack are the only long term players on D imo. Perhaps growth for those guys this year, Scho being serviceable at MIKE, and a good off season gets the defense to an "average" status by next season.
If the offense is a strength as we believe it could be... then I think his Coughlin-less rebuild will be in good shape. If Minshew doesn't work out or Henderson and/or Allen end up busting (which it's very early, they still could) it's a failure and he'll be gone.

I was fully on board this past off season with cleaning house, top to bottom. It didn't happen.
Outside of a 2-3 win season, which I don't think happens, Caldwell will be here another year. But man... watching our guys out of position constantly on defense makes me question if Wash should be here another game. And I'm not usually a "fire this guy 3 games in" kind of guy.
But I always think back to that elite squad after 2017 openly criticizing his play calling. Some of whom would free lance against the play call. Very talented players going "what is this coach thinking". Maybe there was some fire to that smoke.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020, 10:09 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-28-2020, 04:43 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 04:28 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I think my points have misunderstood by many here... maybe that is my fault.  I thought I have made it clear that I am not a fan of Wash and would be happy if he is gone.  But the problem still remains...lack of talent.  Rome was not built in a day, but this is YEAR 8.  And we have only had one winning season.  It should have been reload, not rebuild at this point.  And that is not acceptable.  

Year 8? This is year one of a new rebuild. Yes, under the same GM but Caldwell took a Gene Smith roster, gutted it, got it to where it was in 2016 (improving but not good) Coughlin came in they bought a bunch of free agents and kept building, and had an elite D and an average at best offense. And then in 2 seasons it was poof gone.

Like it or not Caldwell has been given a redo.
It's year 1 without Coughlin. Building an offense around Minshew and completely rebuilding the defense.
Now we can go back and forth about how much blame who deserves over why the elite defense is now being rebuilt after only 2 really good years but honestly no one is gonna budge on their positions of blame Caldwell or Coughlin. But for arguments sake, lets say they split the good and bad 50/50.
I have said many times before Caldwell should have been shown the door. His average at best resume hasn't been good enough. But ultimately he was given more time (probably til the end of his contract). He gets one more shot to do it and with a very short leash.

The offense looks like it could be a strength. The defense looks to be lacking talent just about everywhere, or is very young at least. Allen, Chaisson, Henderson, and Jack are the only long term players on D imo. Perhaps growth for those guys this year, Scho being serviceable at MIKE, and a good off season gets the defense to an "average" status by next season.
If the offense is a strength as we believe it could be... then I think his Coughlin-less rebuild will be in good shape. If Minshew doesn't work out or Henderson and/or Allen end up busting (which it's very early, they still could) it's a failure and he'll be gone.

I was fully on board this past off season with cleaning house, top to bottom. It didn't happen.
Outside of a 2-3 win season, which I don't think happens, Caldwell will be here another year. But man... watching our guys out of position constantly on defense makes me question if Wash should be here another game. And I'm not usually a "fire this guy 3 games in" kind of guy.
But I always think back to that elite squad after 2017 openly criticizing his play calling. Some of whom would free lance against the play call. Very talented players going "what is this coach thinking". Maybe there was some fire to that smoke.

Who criticized it besides Jalen?  Again, I want Wash out... but that by itself will not solve the problem.  And you can characterize it as Year 1 of the rebuild, but it is still Year 8 of Caldwell.   And we are brutal. Additionally, the offense cannot be a strength if you don't have any above average players on it.

(09-28-2020, 04:49 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Who criticized it besides Jalen?  Again, I want Wash out... but that by itself will not solve the problem.  And you can characterize it as Year 1 of the rebuild, but it is still Year 8 of Caldwell.   And we are brutal. Additionally, the offense cannot be a strength if you don't have any above average players on it.

Jalen, Tashaun Gipson, and Telvin were the known cases of outward displeasure with the defensive scheme - and I bet many more were inside the walls of the locker room.

(09-28-2020, 09:38 PM)enigma Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 04:49 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Who criticized it besides Jalen?  Again, I want Wash out... but that by itself will not solve the problem.  And you can characterize it as Year 1 of the rebuild, but it is still Year 8 of Caldwell.   And we are brutal. Additionally, the offense cannot be a strength if you don't have any above average players on it.

Jalen, Tashaun Gipson, and Telvin were the known cases of outward displeasure with the defensive scheme - and I bet many more were inside the walls of the locker room.

I don't recall hearing those two say that, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.  What I have heard many players speak of on the way out the door (even as recently as a few weeks ago) was the bad culture of the organization and how happy they were to leave.  That starts at the top.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020, 10:26 PM by Eric1.)

(09-28-2020, 10:05 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 09:38 PM)enigma Wrote: Jalen, Tashaun Gipson, and Telvin were the known cases of outward displeasure with the defensive scheme - and I bet many more were inside the walls of the locker room.

I don't recall hearing those two say that, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.  What I have heard many players speak of on the way out the door (even as recently as a few weeks ago) was the bad culture of the organization and how happy they were to leave.  That starts at the top.

Gipson definitely talked about his displeasure with how they were calling Coverages for the Secondary. Ramsey for sure as well. Telvin I can't remember off the top of my head if he did or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Gipson and Ramsey definitely did though without a doubt. It was while they were still on the roster also, around mid season or so. Wasn't after they left.

Chaisson was covering a speedy RB down field last week. That shows you the scheme is screwed.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(09-28-2020, 10:31 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Chaisson was covering a speedy RB down field last week.  That shows you the scheme is screwed.

If you want creative blitzes, you will see him in coverage from time to time. The price of doing business.

It is Marrone that should be on a short leash. And really think that if the team has another losing season, they could be not just sending him but the rest of the staff about packing.
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2020, 06:32 PM by JagsFanSince95.)

Yes. I still doubt Caldwell. It’s not just the picks. Picking the right coach to lead this team is just as big as the picking up talent part. Retention is key too and he’s failed miserably in many aspects. He’s a great talent evaluator but he can’t seem to re-sign the blue chips and he has yet to land a great head coach. He’d be gone at the end of the year if we don’t win 8 or more, along with everyone else. He held on to Bradley, Bortles and now Marrone way too long. He has to take accountability for both success, and his failures.

7 wins this year is minimum for me to keep DC

(09-30-2020, 06:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 7 wins this year is minimum for me to keep DC

Agreed.  Anything less and wholesale changes need to be made throughout the organization.  Maybe even bring in a priest to perform an exorcism on the building before the new leadership blood walks in the front doors.   Big Grin

Caldwell needs more time you guys!
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

OP has clearly jinxed this team.

Barring a miraculous turnaround, Caldwell will be gone end of year

All those draft picks in the first 3 rounds and at this point, they appear wasted. We had a defensive line so good we were nicknamed "Sacksonville" and after trading Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue we only manage a loan sack against Cincinnati (which had given up 14 sacks in the 3 previous games.) The one sack we did get was gifted to us late in the game, as Burrow basically fell on his own. Caldwell took what talent we did have on defense and traded it away. He also traded away both our starting CB's and a starting Safety as well. Now, we can't stop anyone. This may be one of the worst defenses I've ever seen in my life. Thanks Caldwell. You've set this team back about 3 years.