Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody Still Doubting Caldwell?

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 07:27 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-04-2020, 07:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: All those draft picks in the first 3 rounds and at this point, they appear wasted. We had a defensive line so good we were nicknamed "Sacksonville" and after trading Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue we only manage a loan sack against Cincinnati (which had given up 14 sacks in the 3 previous games.) The one sack we did get was gifted to us late in the game, as Burrow basically fell on his own. Caldwell took what talent we did have on defense and traded it away. He also traded away both our starting CB's and a starting Safety as well. Now, we can't stop anyone. This may be one of the worst defenses I've ever seen in my life. Thanks Caldwell. You've set this team back about 3 years.

Agreed.  We have accumulated Draft picks for the next regime though.  It should appear to be an attractive job because of that for our future GM. If they entrust Caldwell to try his hand at another rebuild, I will just stay at the beach and avoid the stadium on game days.  I'd be done with them at that point.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Caldwell has to go

Watching Allen Robinson and knowing we had zero shot of resigning him doesn't make it any better. New regime what 3 years to get it right?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-04-2020, 07:26 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: All those draft picks in the first 3 rounds and at this point, they appear wasted. We had a defensive line so good we were nicknamed "Sacksonville" and after trading Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue we only manage a loan sack against Cincinnati (which had given up 14 sacks in the 3 previous games.) The one sack we did get was gifted to us late in the game, as Burrow basically fell on his own. Caldwell took what talent we did have on defense and traded it away. He also traded away both our starting CB's and a starting Safety as well. Now, we can't stop anyone. This may be one of the worst defenses I've ever seen in my life. Thanks Caldwell. You've set this team back about 3 years.

Agreed.  We have accumulated Draft picks for the next regime though.  It should appear to be an attractive job because of that for our future GM.  If they entrust Caldwell to try his hand at another rebuild, I will just stay at the beach and avoid the stadium on game days.  I'd be done with them at that point.

I don't trust Khan not to keep these bums around for another year though.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 07:34 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-04-2020, 07:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:26 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Agreed.  We have accumulated Draft picks for the next regime though.  It should appear to be an attractive job because of that for our future GM.  If they entrust Caldwell to try his hand at another rebuild, I will just stay at the beach and avoid the stadium on game days.  I'd be done with them at that point.

Well, at least I would have a lot less aggravation and more free time next Fall then.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-04-2020, 07:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:26 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Agreed.  We have accumulated Draft picks for the next regime though.  It should appear to be an attractive job because of that for our future GM.  If they entrust Caldwell to try his hand at another rebuild, I will just stay at the beach and avoid the stadium on game days.  I'd be done with them at that point.

Same belief.   It seems likely ownership is going to let them finish their contracts and cheap out. It will be painful when they cut to commercial again in 2021 with us not picking number one overall.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-04-2020, 09:50 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't trust Khan not to keep these bums around for another year though.
Same belief.   It seems likely ownership is going to let them finish their contracts and cheap out. It will be painful when they cut to commercial again in 2021 with us not picking number one overall.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really don't see it that way.  He cut Coughlin loose with 2 years remaining on his contract; I do not think money is a factor at all.  I just think Khan genuinely likes these guys personally and if he doesn't get rid of them at season's end, its because he doesn't have the stones to separate business from personal feelings, even if it is clearly best for the organization.  That is the only reason I can come up with why they would still be here.  Their contracts really are not a big deal in the grand scheme of a billion+ dollar football team's financials.

Didn't really know where to put this little tidbit, but since this is Caldwell's ship I figured this would be best. Yay for breaking records:

https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco/status/1...4572023814

(10-11-2020, 06:03 PM)Upper Wrote: Didn't really know where to put this little tidbit, but since this is Caldwell's ship I figured this would be best. Yay for breaking records:

That's pathetic
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(10-11-2020, 06:03 PM)Upper Wrote: Didn't really know where to put this little tidbit, but since this is Caldwell's ship I figured this would be best. Yay for breaking records:

You put it in the perfect spot.  Too bad Detroit isn't winless still... we could keep the streak going!

You forgot this gem as well...

https://twitter.com/BoldCityCap/status/1...9261776896

(10-11-2020, 06:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

You forgot this gem as well...

It might be a record for fastest owner to 100 losses, DiRocco said he was going to check on that this week too. Will follow up...

(10-11-2020, 06:13 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 06:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote: You forgot this gem as well...

It might be a record for fastest owner to 100 losses, DiRocco said he was going to check on that this week too. Will follow up...

Probably will be, only 6 more to go.

He traded away Ronnie Harrison who had a pick six today, but he was behind Josh Jones on the depth chart? What has Jones done? Not to mention the huge contract he gave Joe Schobert who misses tackle after tackle and we're stuck with this guy for at least the 2021 season. Henderson was regressing before he got hurt and Chaisson is proving week after week he's not a 4-3 DE. These are just the moves he made this season. Caldwell is a bum, who set this franchise back another 3 years.

We're basically in a lose-lose situation... If/when they all get fired, does anybody here actually have any faith in Khan finding/hiring somebody new that's any good? I sure as hell don't. The situation doesn't look good regardless.

(10-11-2020, 07:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: We're basically in a lose-lose situation... If/when they all get fired, does anybody here actually have any faith in Khan finding/hiring somebody new that's any good? I sure as hell don't. The situation doesn't look good regardless.

I would hope he would get a consulting firm to help him, because I agree with you.   He is a rich guy who is clueless about decision-making in professional sports.

(10-11-2020, 07:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: We're basically in a lose-lose situation... If/when they all get fired, does anybody here actually have any faith in Khan finding/hiring somebody new that's any good? I sure as hell don't. The situation doesn't look good regardless.

Very true. Khan has already proven that he knows nothing about football.

This team has the look of being drafted while sitting on a 200 million dollar yacht.

(10-11-2020, 07:47 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:

I would hope he would get a consulting firm to help him, because I agree with you.   He is a rich guy who is clueless about decision-making in professional sports.

I want to say I remember him getting help from a consulting firm back in 2013 and that's what got us Caldwell and Bradley.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 08:05 PM by enigma.)

At the end of the day it's all a statistical crapshoot.

Choosing the right FO/coaching staff along with making the right draft choices, coaching them up, playing the right scheme, minimizing injuries, players on-field decision-making (and more) play into this.

It's a multivariable issue that most armchair simpletons like to beckon at, thinking it's a singular fix - because most of the times, it's not.