Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wash’s innovative defense

https://twitter.com/mattwaldman/status/1...81376?s=21

I’ve watched this clip about a 100 times and for the life of me I can’t figure it how putting Taven in this position would make sense on paper, a white board, or on the field. 

Is it too early in the season to pull out the pitchforks and start asking for Wash to be fired yet?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

At this point I'm almost positive that he has nude photos of Shad Khan.

What was he thinking?

Also interesting that Waldman is pointing to Jack as the guy that blew his assignment. I thought Jack was solid and someone else missed here..

(09-21-2020, 12:54 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/mattwaldman/status/1...81376?s=21

I’ve watched this clip about a 100 times and for the life of me I can’t figure it how putting Taven in this position would make sense on paper, a white board, or on the field. 

Is it too early in the season to pull out the pitchforks and start asking for Wash to be fired yet?

You are about 8 days late.

***the Official Fire Todd Wash Thread 2020***
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Why can't we just fire Marrone/Wash and promote Gruden. Occams razor doing work
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Sounds like a plan ... ya' know.  Banana
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(09-21-2020, 02:40 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: What was he thinking?

Also interesting that Waldman is pointing to Jack as the guy that blew his assignment. I thought Jack was solid and someone else missed here..
It was a zone of some kind and Jack was in a tough spot. The play was designed to destroy Wash's zone. Jack couldn't provide help because he had to cover 3 players on that play. If he comes up to stop the TE, the WR over the middle in the end zone is open for an easy TD. If he stays back to cover his zone, the TE is open for the TD. Then there is Henry wide open for the TD because the CB didn't come up to cover the flat and he had no chance to get out there. He was frozen a little because he saw Henry, but didn't want to leave his zone and didn't move fast enough to make the tackle.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(09-21-2020, 03:38 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Why can't we just fire Marrone/Wash and promote Gruden. Occams razor doing work

That was the plan from day 1.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 07:33 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Taven Island !!!

After losing Jaylen and AJ Bouye, it's all about next man up !!!

Wash's having to blitz more on 3rd down to try to make up for the fact that the secondary can't cover anyone. Never seen so many wide open receivers in two games than what have been here the last two weeks and they came out flat. Defense really didn't make a play until we were down 14-0, very similar to the first week, but we weren't down so many points to Indy in week 1. Like many have said, even though there were 2 turnovers in the first game, they never punted and outgained us by almost or over 200 yards. The defense is an open sive and there's no one coming to close out the holes. We're going to be like some of the old teams where you have to out score your opposition because you can't stop anyone. If we don't score about 40 points per game, then we will lost more than win.

(09-21-2020, 08:24 PM)rhanna2 Wrote: Wash's having to blitz more on 3rd down to try to make up for the fact that the secondary can't cover anyone. Never seen so many wide open receivers in two games than what have been here the last two weeks and they came out flat. Defense really didn't make a play until we were down 14-0, very similar to the first week, but we weren't down so many points to Indy in week 1. Like many have said, even though there were 2 turnovers in the first game, they never punted and outgained us by almost or over 200 yards. The defense is an open sive and there's no one coming to close out the holes. We're going to be like some of the old teams where you have to out score your opposition because you can't stop anyone. If we don't score about 40 points per game, then we will lost more than win.
The problem is he is playing zone and sitting back for most of the game. They didn't blitz until the 2nd half and put pressure on the QB and they didn't score much. He needs to use pressure a lot more and not wait until the end of the game.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 10:04 PM by surfon.)

Man you got me with that thread title. I was all like what's this crazy foo going to be talking bout.

I'm sure the lack of crowd noise is plaguing home defenses across the league but defenses in general are giving up more yardage and points than in any other year thus far. I keep hoping that when we get something on tape we improve but I'm not really seeing it. We shut Henry down somehow but managed to get lit up everywhere else. There is no pressure on the opposing QB's and no one is around whoever they're throwing to to even contest anything.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 09:45 AM by Minshew Mania.)

It's a scheme thing. Wash may be the greatest coach in the world at teaching the Seattle scheme, but it's still the Seattle scheme. A Scheme that worked for like 4 years before it was busted. How many superbowls did Seattle win with it? I feel like it wasn't even that many, not enough to justify half the league using this scheme. Its dumb, predictable and requires too many high talent players at key positions to make work in the first place.

Good defense is like good offense, reading the play and creating mismatches. Instead we're bashing our head into the wall trying to out talent the opposing team with a bunch of replacements.

I still remember slamming my head into the table that 2017 year when Dante would end up on a TE here or a WR there. Or Poz ended up covering a deep route. Our defense was good then too. Knew Wash was going to be an issue ever since.

(09-23-2020, 09:41 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote: It's a scheme thing. Wash may be the greatest coach in the world at teaching the Seattle scheme, but it's still the Seattle scheme. A Scheme that worked for like 4 years before it was busted. How many superbowls did Seattle win with it? I feel like it wasn't even that many, not enough to justify half the league using this scheme. Its dumb, predictable and requires too many high talent players at key positions to make work in the first place.

Good defense is like good offense, reading the play and creating mismatches. Instead we're bashing our head into the wall trying to out talent the opposing team with a bunch of replacements.

I still remember slamming my head into the table that 2017 year when Dante would end up on a TE here or a WR there. Or Poz ended up covering a deep route. Our defense was good then too. Knew Wash was going to be an issue ever since.

Seattle went to two SBs and won one (though, probably should have won two if not for a terrible play call on offense)

But the issue with the "Seattle Scheme" which we've been told has been tweaked a few times, is that it was successful not because of scheme but because that team was loaded at pretty much every level. Sort of like our 2017 season. 
When you have guys like Kam, Earl, Sherman, Irvin, Wright, Wagner, Avril, Bennett, Clark.... I mean... you can run pretty much any version of cover 2 or 3 and be really good on D.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 12:52 PM by surfon.)

(09-22-2020, 02:55 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: I'm sure the lack of crowd noise is plaguing home defenses across the league but defenses in general are giving up more yardage and points than in any other year thus far. I keep hoping that when we get something on tape we improve but I'm not really seeing it. We shut Henry down somehow but managed to get lit up everywhere else. There is no pressure on the opposing QB's and no one is around whoever they're throwing to to even contest anything.

CJ Henderson says hello with the week one game winning pass play breakup and int.  I get where you are coming from but there has been a few good cover plays.  The rest of the secondary has been suspect at best and something is wrong with Hayden this year.

(09-23-2020, 09:56 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 09:41 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote: It's a scheme thing. Wash may be the greatest coach in the world at teaching the Seattle scheme, but it's still the Seattle scheme. A Scheme that worked for like 4 years before it was busted. How many superbowls did Seattle win with it? I feel like it wasn't even that many, not enough to justify half the league using this scheme. Its dumb, predictable and requires too many high talent players at key positions to make work in the first place.

Seattle went to two SBs and won one (though, probably should have won two if not for a terrible play call on offense)

But the issue with the "Seattle Scheme" which we've been told has been tweaked a few times, is that it was successful not because of scheme but because that team was loaded at pretty much every level. Sort of like our 2017 season. 
When you have guys like Kam, Earl, Sherman, Irvin, Wright, Wagner, Avril, Bennett, Clark.... I mean... you can run pretty much any version of cover 2 or 3 and be really good on D.

Which is my point. To be fair though the scheme WAS good for a while before it got exposed for the load of baloney that it is. I believe it was Kyle Shanahan that embarrassed them first running split routes and just picking on the defense in the "dead zones". With the secondary that we got, we need to do more to protect them and definitely need to be blitzing a ton.

(09-23-2020, 12:53 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 09:56 AM)Kane Wrote: Seattle went to two SBs and won one (though, probably should have won two if not for a terrible play call on offense)

Which is my point. To be fair though the scheme WAS good for a while before it got exposed for the load of baloney that it is. I believe it was Kyle Shanahan that embarrassed them first running split routes and just picking on the defense in the "dead zones". With the secondary that we got, we need to do more to protect them and definitely need to be blitzing a ton.

The defense is designed to take advantage of mistakes. If you can't put pressure on the QB, mistakes aren't generally made. Zones are easy to pick apart with time. Look at the 2nd (I think) TD where Miles Jack has to cover a zone with 3 options for the QB. Based on what Jack does, at least 1 if not 2 options are open.

The 2nd half of both games have shown what the defense can do when they blitz and get pressure. It doesn't matter if the blitz gives up a TD, the defense without blitzing is going to give up a TD anyways as seen in the 1st half of games. Hopefully they start the game blitzing, but I doubt Wash goes away from his vanilla defense in the 1st half.

I think one of the things that is missing is having that one big bodied pass rusher like we had in Calais Campbell. Now, we have two smaller guys on the edge (one being a rookie,) as well as zero pressure being applied in the middle from the DT's. We need a bigger bodied pass rusher who can continuously apply a pass rush, whether it be off the edge or at the 3 technique. Personally, this would be a priority of mine in the next draft. Some guys I like a lot are Carlos Basham Jr. an edge rusher from Wake Forest who is 6'5" 285 lbs and had 11 sacks last season and already has 2 this season. Another is Gregory Rousseau of Miami. At 6'7" 265 lbs., he could still add a lot of mass to his frame. He's an excellent pass rusher who opted out this season, but had 15.5 sacks in 2020. On the inside, I LOVE Jaylen Twyman of Pitt. He opted out as well, but at 6'2" 291 lbs, he reminds me a lot of Aaron Donald. He regularly collapses the pocket and had 10.5 sacks in 2020. I think this could be a huge missing element to our defense, but we also have to add another CB and by the looks of it, probably two starting Safeties, as our secondary is a mess.

(09-23-2020, 12:51 PM)surfon Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 02:55 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: I'm sure the lack of crowd noise is plaguing home defenses across the league but defenses in general are giving up more yardage and points than in any other year thus far. I keep hoping that when we get something on tape we improve but I'm not really seeing it. We shut Henry down somehow but managed to get lit up everywhere else. There is no pressure on the opposing QB's and no one is around whoever they're throwing to to even contest anything.

CJ Henderson says hello with the week one game winning pass play breakup and int.  I get where you are coming from but there has been a few good cover plays.  The rest of the secondary has been suspect at best and something is wrong with Hayden this year.

Yeah Henderson has played very well in both weeks. Herndon also has been playing okay so far.

Our FS play was awful last week and Hayden has not been good so far this year.