Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Random question about Fred Taylor

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 07:06 AM by JagFanatic24.)

In 1999 when we crushed the Dolphins In the playoffs, do you think if Fred played the 2nd half would he have broken the rushing record of 275 (at the time)?

He had 174 yards and 2 TDs at halftime. 

In my honest opinion I think he would have gained over 101 yards if he played the entire 2nd half.

Fiedler came in and was still throwing bombs to Smith and Whitted. If the Jags came out and just ran the clock out by running the ball, Taylor may have......busted the rushing record of 275 (at the time), wide open.

That would have been his legacy game and almost a shew in the hof.

Sorry for the random question but we get in long debates at work and I figured I would ask some of you guys that were at the game.

I was in section 432. The Dolphins flat out quit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Fred didn't have 18 carries or 175 yards rushing.

From the stat line for the game:
18 carries for 135 yards and 1 TD.  

So, to answer your question, no, he probably wouldn't have busted the rushing record.  James Stewart and Chris Howard combined for 116 yards and 2 TDs when Fred wasn't on the field.

Stewart went 11 carries for 62 yards and a TD.

Chris Howard went 15 carries for 54 yards and a TD.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Didn't 90 of Fred's yards come on one play? Or was that a reception?

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 12:15 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Box score below.  Wow, Taylor only had 135 yards rushing and 39 yards receiving.  Take away that 90 yard run and the 39 yard reception and Taylor would have only had 45 total yards from scrimmage.

We just went from Taylor setting a record to him pretty much sucking in that game, except for 2 plays.  Imagine if we would have had James Robinson that year !!!!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=200115030

Regular season records and postseason records are two separate entities. The postseason record was by Dickerson with 248, so the bar would have been even lower to summit.

(09-23-2020, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Box score below.  Wow, Taylor only had 135 yards rushing and 39 yards receiving.  Take away that 90 yard run and the 39 yard reception and Taylor would have only had 45 total yards from scrimmage.

We just went from Taylor setting a record to him pretty much sucking in that game, except for 2 plays.  Imagine if we would have had James Robinson that year !!!!

Kind of funny how that works. Most people remember it as a game that Freddy T dominated. But the stats show a different side if you take away 2 plays.  

With that said, he's still my favorite player in team history. That guy sure was fun to watch when healthy.

(09-23-2020, 03:33 PM)High Octane Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Box score below.  Wow, Taylor only had 135 yards rushing and 39 yards receiving.  Take away that 90 yard run and the 39 yard reception and Taylor would have only had 45 total yards from scrimmage.

Kind of funny how that works. Most people remember it as a game that Freddy T dominated. But the stats show a different side if you take away 2 plays.  

With that said, he's still my favorite player in team history. That guy sure was fun to watch when healthy.

The thing is, back then it was pretty much "pick your poison" when it came to the Jaguars offense.  Try to eliminate Fred Taylor then Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell would pick you apart.  Play pass protection and Fred would go off and make you pay.  Not to mention the players behind them.

In no particular order Fred Taylor and Jimmy Smith are my two all time favorite Jaguars players.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-23-2020, 03:33 PM)High Octane Wrote:

I don't like the "take away this play or that play" type arguments though. You can do that with a lot of games for RBs. Running the ball is typically a lot of 2-5 yard carries with one or two big rips sprinkled in.

If we "take away 2 plays" from most RBs big rush games, they too would look pedestrian. 
I bet you could do it with quite a few QB games too. "take away this throw or that" and he has sub 200 yard game with lower than average ypa or something.

FBT your right bro. I looked at it wrong.

I guess the argument could be made that he could have went for way more yards than 135. He Broke a 90 yard run, and then made 8 people miss on a sick YAC.